Gentoo installs

What percentage of Sup Forums actually uses Gentoo?

What is the rough installation time of Gentoo for Sup Forums users?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Choosing_the_right_profile
packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/wine
cateee.net/lkddb/,
cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No one actually used gentoo. No one wants to use a distro that is even more of a timesink than arch. It's just a meme to get rid of the kids who come here for tech support questions.

It's a bit of work to set up but maintenance is leagues easier than Arch. Stability is better and if you have any demands that warrant using anything other than Debian it's probably what you want.

Doubt it's very high. The most popular Linux distro used here is almost certainly Android.

Only because Clover is so comfy user.

I have never actually used Gentoo, so I don't know if this is true, but
>don't you have to compile the packages yourself

Simple and painless on modern multicore machines.

see

I tried it once, but couldn't find good tutorial to full disk encryption, so just installed Arch.

I run it because I like portage

I tried that once, but couldn't find good tutorial to full disk encryption, so just instaleld Ubuntu.

>tfw too smart to install gentoo

There's something funny about booting the LiveDVD to install and having no loss of functionality in the LiveDVD environment while installing the OS.

I'm a complete newbie and it took me a few tries and a couple of hours (~8 hrs) to navigate both the manual and the forums and install the base package. The only part I'm stuck on is installing a DE. The X server stuff confuses me.

I got to the partitioning part but it was a little too much so I just watched anime instead

Im using it.

I've used debian, manjaro, ubuntu, mint, kali, fedora and antergos but i would NEVER try to install arch let alone gentoo. it's such a time waster.

On arch you can just pacman -S xorg-server xorg-server-utils i3, edit a config file, and boot into a comfy tiling wm :^)

Gentoo is the Dark Souls of Sup Forums.
It *is* harder to install, but not needlessly punishing.

I do. A warning:

You MUST learn how to configure your own kernel, this takes hours if you don't know how to do this. You can use genkernel's default configuration to start with, but it will build a terrible kernel and may not even support all your hardware/software.

Compilation of certain packages (like Chromium) may take hours even on a fast processor.

When upgrading GCC, I rebuild every single package on my system. You can choose not to, and many people will argue otherwise, but if you don't do this it can cause problems. This usually takes at least 12 hours of compiling and I have a very fast processor.

You must learn how to use portage or else you will end up with a completely messed up system. Learn what your world file is and how to keep it clean. Learn how to use USE flags.

Use systemd, you need systemd for a working modern desktop system, don't be a retard.

Who are you quoting?

Yes you have to compile every package yourself, except of course for packages which are written in a language like python/perl, and there's a few packages that offer binary packages like firefox-bin and libreoffice-bin.

It's exactly the same as Arch, you could have even used their documentation.

Only difference is when creating an initramfs you would have to add the --luks option to genkernel, for example:

genkernel --luks --install initramfs

Yes, but the only time this is an issue is when you're first setting up your environment. Other than that, you can install a package and do something else while it's compiling

>Neo Sup Forums doesn't kniw how to install and use gentoo
It was once a right if passage to this website. God I hate Sup Forumsedditors

>Use systemd, you need systemd for a working modern desktop system, don't be a retard.

big bait

>Use systemd, you need systemd for a working modern desktop system,
You went full retard there. The whole point to gentoo is to get a full clen system without crap like systemd in it.

>fell for the gentoo, amd, awesome, gayming, anime, and systemd memes

Chromium is a pain in the ass, takes around 90 minutes on a xeon e3-1241v3, Firefox (especially with PGO) and libreoffice take a loot of time too.
Beside that gentoo is quite comfy.

Why? the most distros uses systemd anyways

Less than 1%.

It takes about an hour or two of actual work if you've done it before and everything goes smoothly. Most of that time is spent double checking the handbook.

>don't you have to compile the packages yourself
This is misleading. The package manager downloads source code and compiles it for you.

You were supposed to pick a profile with a DE during installation. wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Choosing_the_right_profile

You will not have a working modern Linux desktop without systemd.

Stop being retarded, this is why I don't like Sup Forums.

I don't recommend this, you shouldn't be using a DE until you really know what the hell is going on under the hood.

The last big survey I did, no more than 4-5% were using it. Most people were on Ubuntu, followed by Debian then Fedora.
Ubuntu has more people using it than the nearest 3 distros PUT TOGETHER.

shitty bait senpai

How do you go about configuring the kernel? Looking up your hardware and finding which modules you need to support it? Have you ever had to compile a new kernel for an existing system to add support back in? Have you ever just loaded a kernel module instead?

Is the handbook the best guide on portage?

>Yes you have to compile every package yourself,
No, the package manager does that.

>You will not have a working modern Linux desktop without systemd.
>modern
Who cares?

You're probably right. I think the reason things didn't work out is because I did genkernel and chose default USE flags. Perhaps shameful but I just wanted to force it.

I used it for about a month. The install took awhile but was actually relatively painless. Then I tried to update all my packages at once and everything broke.

That's very spartan of you.

that shitty font rendering

It's not shameful. You'll have better luck "forcing" it for a minimal install which you can later upgrade how you'd like. If this is the only machine in your house it might be wiser to install something else and practice in a VM.

Someone who doesn't know how to set up xorg is not gonna have a good time using Gentoo.

This all said, do you think there are strong advantages to using Gentoo?

I'm an Archcuck and have contemplated trying it out, is it worth learning the ropes?

I'm running it.
Portage is love, Portage is life.

It sounds painful on my ancient machine. I can't install gentoo, it would be a bigger waste of time than arch.

I use gentoo on all my devices. Takes about a day to install the first time, but when you know what you're doing it only takes half an hour. Still more than other distros, but you gain so much by using gentoo that even if it took 5 hours to install I'd still do it every time.

There's help options in the kernel configuration that are helpful most of the time.

Configuring a kernel can be very difficult and there's still options that I'm changing after years.

You can use lsmod on a working system to see modules that are loaded, and then make sure you have support for them built in your kernel. But even that's not enough, you just have to learn a lot of things from building your own kernel, and learning what preforms better.

For example you will find options to enable Intel P State or ACPI Cpufreq, a typical user wouldn't know what performs better so they wouldn't know what to do. (ACPI Cpufreq performs better)

I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. I didn't think I had to explicitly state that the package manager automatically compiles the package, and that you don't have to manually enter build commands, is there anyone here who actually thought that?

>dark souls
>hard
>not needlessly punishing

It's worth it if you have patience and really want it. It's not superior in every case for every purpose but you may be spoiled by things like use flags if you give it a try.

It is actually a pain to install, but after that almost never breaks.
Almost a year using it. No complains.
Took me to install 4-5 hours, newfag btw

echo 'INPUT_DEVICES="libinput"\nVIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa nvidia"' >> /etc/portage/make.conf
emerge xorg-x11
startx

Oh god its so hard to setup xorg durr durr its easier in Gentoo.

>leagues easier than Arch
could you set any lower of a bar?

installation and setting up takes time but keeping things uptodate is literarily just 15s of my time every few weeks (or months if i'm not really that arsed about it)

don't you have to compile the whole system from source when you install though? I don't think I have any devices that can compile even a minimal headless system in half an hour.

You don't need systemd for anything.

You're probably not even viewing the image at native resolution, probably so retarded you're viewing the image downscaled and then saying that the font rendering is bad.

I will help you newfriend. Open the image in a new tab, and left click on it.

For most packages, you have multiple packages available for install, for example there is many versions of Wine which you could choose from: packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/wine

Particularly the 9999 version, that means installation from git. There is many packages you can build from git whenever you want. On binary distros you get one version of one package, period.

You can disable certain features you don't want through USE flags, which will prevent unwanted packages from being pulled in.

You can compile everything with custom CFLAGS which provides a small performance boost over other distros. Compiling every piece of software on your system with -march=native -O2 (or -O3)

It is very flexible, you can edit ebuilds to work around issues manually.

It's fun. I have fun using Gentoo.

No, the minimal base system is provided by the stage3 tarball. Only kernel and bootloader need to be compiled.

30 minutes including compiling the system using a core2duo P8400 (2.26GHz).

Kernel Config was always hell for me (particularly for the device drivers part) until I figured out my process.

>sudo lspci -nn
>Look up device on cateee.net/lkddb/, install anything mentioned

That's the only way I managed to do it without checking the help files for every option

yeah, i'm not going to believe that

Ah so you're just a paid shill. Have a free (You) then.

>>MFW since I installed Gentoo on my new laptop just before NYE.

Took me a week to set up, but I didn't have any experience with dm_crypt, LVM and SSD's.
Also, never had to configure Bumblebee, Xorg and proprietary drivers for Intel/NVIDIA optimus. Apart from that it was not that hard.

But overall, totally worth it. Most stable GNU/Linux distribution I ever used. (yeah I know, but this meme statement is actually true).
Xubuntu gave random errors, Arch sometimes gave me a kernel panic's out of nowhere, but Gentoo... It's stable, fast and the system you want it to be.

Does take some times compiling of course (even with SSD and Skylake i7). But you can still use your computer in the meantime. Also portage makes it able to use multiple versions of a program easily.

Use it happily as my daily OS.

I have a P8600 X200. I've compiled things on it. What exactly do you define by "system" if it takes you less than 30 minutes to compile it.

You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Anyone with even a passing familiarity with portage knows that the @system package set in a stage3 tarball is going to take more than 30 minutes on a P8400.

There is no ambiguous wiggle room like durr my system is more minimal so its faster, it isn't. That shit includes gcc.

My first install took like 5 hours, but I also went the GNOME + systemd path which apparently compiles both webgit-gtk and webkit-qt - which take about an hour each.
You'd think the kernel is the thing that takes the most time, but no...

Same for me. Mint and Ubuntu keep crashing for stupid reasons. Gentoo is nice and smooth.

Always takes me two days to have a usable system.

PORTAGE_BINHOST="Local.Build.Server/packages/"

>when you're such a flaming faggot that you don't realize you're agreeing with the person you're flaming
I seriously hope you get AIDS and die.

git gud

He probably meant a kernel that exclusively includes the modules he needs, grub, a minimal system shell, openrc X and some window manager. I can imagine that only taking like 30 minues.
Then again this system is completely useless, unless your hobby is to let some package manager compile software for you.

Also this is what an update looks like when you haven't done it in 18 days.

Do you think I should feel some kind of kinship with some fat autist lying about how long it takes to compile shit on his piece of shit thinkpad?

>He probably meant a kernel that exclusively includes the modules he needs, grub, a minimal system shell, openrc X and some window manager.
That's pretty much all most Sup Forumsentoomen need. All that's left is the web browser, emacs, and a media player.

system on Gentoo is @system and a Gentoo user referring to compiling his kernel and system that meant something else is a moron.

I have this setup:
>Arch on laptop (want to install void)
>Debian on rpi (want to try *bsd)
>Windows and gentoo dualboot on main rig (gentoo currently not working, I'm trying to not install xorg, but I want tiling and is a pain in the ass)

Gentoo is the best distro for full autist, but it's awesome

>you are a moron if you want your system actually do something that's not running the IDLE task

what's the point of using a distro built on the principle of compiling everything for each system if you just end up using precompiled packages?

My only thoughts of you are delightful visions of the nightmarish hell that awaits you in the next life when you've used up all the time you have in the nightmarish hell that is your life now.
This is what a faggot looks like when he crosses the event horizon

> I have a very fast processor

Umm, no you don't. Most packages aren't built to compile with different cores in parallel. 4 core CPU with higher clock rate >>>> 8 core system with lower clock rate

That bitch doesn't use a binhost he has a freaking X200 hes probably too poor.

>4.7.1

That shit isn't even in the tree anymore. Step it up senpai,

loser

For example, my VPS shits itself if it tries to build some big things PHP or GCC.
So I compile them remotely and just distribute the binaries.

If you're using several similar systems, there is no point of compiling the same shit over and over again.
Makes setting up new systems faster as well.

Of course, this only makes sense if you're not poor and can afford more than one computer.

You can compile several packages at the same time.

I've used funtoo/gentoo for about a year give or take a couple years back in uni. They're both great distros, use debian-stable tier packages by default, and binaries are available for extremely large programs such as firefox or libreoffice. You can even go full FSF and reject all proprietary software in portage by setting a use flag. Maintenaince wasn't too bad, but once you go back to a binary distribution you realize how easy everything is.

Nowadays I use debian because it's less to maintain and life has gotten busier. I'll eventually give it another go.

Perhaps you mean to say "git bed" because if you're even remotely non-shit the game is a massive slowpoke grindfest and nowhere near hard, unless you consider fighting the controls, the camera and the bugs part of the game.

please don't use some imaginary fantasy of me as crutch to make yourself feel better about your miserable existence. at the very least, come say it to my face. and try to be civil so i don't feel the need to exercise castle doctrine.

i understand the principle. i do this whenever i need to build something that isn't in the main SlackBuilds.org repo or I need a different config or whatever. I have a headless multipurpose box for shit like that. i just assumed that the whole point of gentoo was the autism of compiling everything specific for each machine. why not just distribute official binaries for it?

>Umm, no you don't.

Check benchmarks for that processor, it's 5 years old now and still performs just as well as brand new $200 (what I paid for it in 2012) intel processors.

cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I guess nothing is "very fast" except $1000+ Xeon 2011 socket processors.

>Most packages aren't built to compile with different cores in parallel.

Are you claiming that GCC's multithreading doesn't work well on >4 cores?

Debian is significantly more maintenance downtime than gentoo
>debian
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
>oops 5 billion conflicts because half the libs are deprecated/changed/removed even though it's """stable"""!

>gentoo
>sudo emerge --sync && sudo emerge -vuDN world
>it literally just works unattended and without further input

>Are you claiming that GCC's multithreading doesn't work well on >4 cores?
Just because it multithreads doesn't mean it has 4x speed up. Fuck this board.

Nobody cares but you, its anonymous.

> its anonymous
> uses a tripcode

> the whole point of gentoo was the autism of compiling everything specific for each machine

Nah, the performance gain from compiling everything natively is negligible on modern hardware and especially VMs.
The real magic is in the USE flags, allowing you way more control of what you end up compared to binary distros.

Why build things into your packages you're never going to use just to increase attack vectors?
Want to switch from openssl to libressl/something else?
Want to replace glibc with musl?
Building from source got you covered.

Tripcode is anonymous you turd mouth.

Did I claim that?

Those extra 4 cores are from hyperthreading anyway. Even so, show me a faster 4 core CPU.

kek, where does anonymity begin and end then? Might as well argue that putting your real name is anonymous too then, since it's just an alias for your person.

> turd mouth
I wanna hug you.

USE flags are a necessary evil when you build everything from source, I think what makes Gentoo so flexible is the ability to use whatever version you want, masking newer versions of software so you don't break compatibility with software you are currently using while maintaining an up to date system is something you can only really easily do with portage.

horrible package management systems aside, isn't it a little ludicrous to believe that recompiling all of your package upgrades from source will be faster and use less resources than upgrading from binary packages?

I like how you guys are comparing Gentoo to Debian and Arch. I think it was Бacтa who said "Being #1 among faggots doesn't make you a leader".

>it's anonymous
says the namefag

>disagree with me
>explain why you agree with me

I'm not going to argue against the utility of custom builds, but that's not something exclusive to Gentoo. Like, the reason I even go to Gentoo threads is to try and figure out if it's worth trying it or if it would offer me no practical benefits over Slackware but I would have to learn a new build system and package manager and I happen to really like the one I use now.

>implying (anonymous === pseudonymous)
>regressing to insults that reflect your mental age

fpbp

>ruski
>doesn't understand english
checks out.

You can't deconstruct anonymity in such a way, I could make the argument that anyone typing their own sentences isn't anonymous because they are identifying themselves. Psuedonyms and call signs are used specifically to remain anonymous, pretending to discern between using the identity Anonymous and another identity such as a tripcode is just a pedantic knee jerk reaction, the base emotions boil down to insecurity and childishness on your part, which doesn't bother me in the slightest as I am anonymous.

:3