8K displays when even 4K content isn't anywhere near standardized

>8K displays when even 4K content isn't anywhere near standardized
>4K or 144hz gaming displays when even the highest end GPUs struggle to run games in them
>basic smartphone apps and PC programs which require gigabytes of RAM and multi-core CPUs to run smoothly
>higher resolution smartphone displays and thinner smartphones when even the flagships models are barely getting 4 hours of SOT
>higher resolution smartphone displays when the tangible benefits stopped at ~400PPI
>higher resolution smartphone displays when laptops have been stuck at 720p for more than a decade
>huge unwieldy JavaScript-riddled websites with massive hero images when half of the internet traffic today are phone users who are on bandwidth limits
>4G LTE speeds but with ridiculously low bandwidth limits
>video games and the rare 4K film/show with file sizes in the multiples of dozens of gigabytes when the average global internet speed is 5 megabits/s

Will it ever stop?

No.

Yes. Just install gentoo.

Please,

We don't even have proper 4G speeds.

Moore's law can't die soon enough.

>Moore's law can't die soon enough.
It's already dead.

Honestly I'm not even bothered by most of that shit.
I purposefully got a chinkphone with low resolution and a huge, removable battery. Was surprised to find that the spare battery isn't even necessary since a full day of fairly heavy use only gets me down to about 50%.
As for the monitors that's actually a good thing since by the time I feel like buying a 4K monitor they should be pretty cheap and there will maybe be lots of content which utilizes it.

>It's already dead.

I feel like the day we reach the physical smallness limit will be a pretty big day.

I know that feel

>T420 ran everything great when released
>as time went on the software stayed the same
>performance unusably worse despite upgrades

>>basic smartphone apps and PC programs which require gigabytes of RAM and multi-core CPUs to run smoothly

Good thing it's not 2002 anymore, huh?

>muh gaymes can't run at 8k

Just neck yourself please

>bought a Nexus 5 when it was released
>2GB RAM and 2.3GHz quad-core CPU
>paste 1000 characters of plaintext into Google's notes app
>it lags
>situation only got worse with time

Really activates the synapses.

I don't even play games, it was just an example of the phenomenon.

Gayms are the least significant problem.

That's maybe 2 years from now, 10nm already has a shit load of problems with electrons tunneling through the circuit, there's a reason it's taking so long to exist
And then once we can't go any smaller it'll be a race for speed, which will top out under 10GHz
When that's a ran through we'll just have cores left to improve, which will make the smallness and speed limits even lower
Like we're really almost done with silicon, without supercooling and ridiculously small voltage (which is harder to do with each die shrink) there's not much room to improve silicon. We can add cores and optimize heat/cooling but silicon is getting pumped dry

I'm honestly looking forward to it, can't wait to see how things are going to develop after.

Develop or not develop, that is.

Intel already has working processes for going smaller then 10nm.

Some guy on Sup Forums said Intel is already working on non-silicon wafers

But how feasible is that for consumer usage, and temperatures
We've already got working quantam computing it just takes a shitload of equipment and and extremely regulated environment

They only need to figure out how to manufacture it cheaply on a large scale, shit will happen eventually there is no other way to go.

>more cores
>better cooling, voltage, clocks
>non-silicon
But I mean yeah, smaller is ONE way to go

Cores and clocks both improve when they make shit smaller so its kind of directly related.

>we put quantum computing in phones just because we can
>powered by a li-ion battery

>Some guy on Sup Forums said

I don't have a reaction image for this level of stupidity

>cores improve
Still looks like the same core capabilities to me
And the clock speed is only related to thermals, shorter circuitry means less heat per volt, but that also means more voltage needed to make a stable connection due to the smaller and less conductive circuit paths. The heat going down is the more important aspect limiting clocks but needing more and more voltage for a smaller and smaller die will eventually catch up in terms of heat

That's what 90% of the facts and arguments here are

>And the clock speed is only related to thermals
lol ur dumb and overly antagonistic for no reason.

I meant the clock speed going up while die size goes down is only related to the thermals, that's not going to continue for that much longer

>two sentences that say the same thing with words rearranged

No wonder I don't read these sites.

it gets worse when you look at the display technologies we have

>buy a tn panel
great refresh rates
terrible viewing angle
>buy a ips panel
better in almost everything else except refresh rate

>>higher resolution smartphone displays when laptops have been stuck at 720p for more than a decade
Seriously, what the fuck? Why can't mediocre laptops get 900p monitors?

>ips
Dont forget IPS Glow and Backlight bleed

>>Some guy on Sup Forums said
>I don't have a reaction image for this level of stupidity
so if i say 8*4 = 32 then im wrong cause its on Sup Forums?? You focking retard. For real.

>>ips
>Dont forget IPS Glow and Backlight bleed
And i think they allready showimng more altered and unrealistic pics than...reality. They sometimes looks like shoped.

>still see no reason to upgrade my 2013 phone
>except for the fact the unreplaceable battery is dying and that apps are running slower despite having the exact same functionality as they did 4 years ago

I gave away my old nexus 4 like 6 months ago and it could run snapchat and most android games without a problem...
My current phone is a nexus 5x and its running just fine, just take care of your shit and don't be a little bitch lmao. My only complaint about modern shit is that batteries are still garbage, if i ever travel i know il have problems with battery life with my phone. Battery banks is a retarded solution to a retarded situation

Just don't be a mindless consumerist sheep
>high RAM requirement
On android this is acceptable. Having apps cached in RAM is almost like having a RAMDisk, which is much faster than SSD memory in phones.
But I agree, software should be more optimized.
>higher resolutions and thinner phones
Don't buy them then and if enough people don't buy them the market will change. I still use an S5 which has a FHD screen and it only uses around 40% of the battery each day. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Xiaomi or Oukitel phones which have very high battery capacities. Buy those and support the companies which don't make phones that die after a couple of hours of use.
>lapotps stuck on 720p
They're mostly on 768p and there's plenty of laptops in FHD and some are in the $400 price range.
>low bandwidth limits on 4G
I have a 4G router and can confirm. It's limited to 50GiB and each additional GiB costs 0.5€. But the speeds are much faster than those of landline users (around 110dl/16up) and it's currently the cheapest limited bandwidth option here. It's also portable so I can bring it anywhere or just insert the SIM into my phone.

apple stopped it before it even started

I live in Moscow and I have 10 gigabits/s unlimited LTE (I've tested it in various parts of the city, in most distant ones, I've never got less than 5. ) + 300 minutes of calls for about 7 dollars a month

What are the minimum and average wages?

Yeah maybe in third world countries

>the average global internet speed is 5 megabits/s
This is the only one I'm pissed about.
God damn fucking telcos. The standards go up to the fucking over 10 gigabits, but noooo, nobody wants to invest to change the wiring or give more speed to these suckers that are happily paying for dogshit.

The only legitimate problem in any of this is fucking Javascript killing webpages. Web pages are more like web apps now.

wtf I love russia now

K displays when even 4K content isn't anywhere near standardized
These aren't common.
K or 144hz gaming displays when even the highest end GPUs struggle to run games in them
Get a better GPU
>>basic smartphone apps and PC programs which require gigabytes of RAM and multi-core CPUs to run smoothly
Developers should not have to consider sempron users with 512mb of ran when making their programs
>>higher resolution smartphone displays and thinner smartphones when even the flagships models are barely getting 4 hours of SOT
I wish smartphones were a bit thicker and had a bigger battery
>>higher resolution smartphone displays when the tangible benefits stopped at ~400PPI
Not for VR, also 1440p is better than 1080p for smartphones. I didn't believe it, but it does in fact look better
>>higher resolution smartphone displays when laptops have been stuck at 720p for more than a decade
Nigga wut
>>huge unwieldy JavaScript-riddled websites with massive hero images when half of the internet traffic today are phone users who are on bandwidth limits
Get a better data plan poorfag
G LTE speeds but with ridiculously low bandwidth limits
Get a better data plan poorfag
>>video games and the rare 4K film/show with file sizes in the multiples of dozens of gigabytes when the average global internet speed is 5 megabits/s
>average global internet
Most people watching this content have at least 50mb/s
>Will it ever stop?
When you stop being a dirty poor fag. T-Mobile has a plan that is 5gb/month for $30. That's more than enough for browsing websites.

K displays when even 4K content isn't anywhere near standardized
>content
Filthy consumer.

have they already figured out the theoretical limit for silicon processing speeds?

>Will it ever stop?
It will probably stop with 8K, we are approaching the limits of human vision with screen technology. After that, we'll probably just keep increasing display quality and frame rate until we reach the end of that too. Also, it makes sense for display technology to be ahead of GPU technology, after all, you buy new GPUs more often than new screens, not to mention that not everyone is a gaymer, and most newer GPUs are capable of driving 4K screens for everyday tasks, except gaming. Looking at the global average speed is also retarded, it's probably brought down by people living in shitholes, meanwhile I enjoy 100 mpbs up/100 mbps down. Phone batteries are shit because of the "we have to go thinner" meme, and 4 hours of screen on time is enough for a day.

he did say smartphones as well with the RAM thing. phones are going to nees 4GB standard to be of any use with how dogshit Android and its app developers are.

Quantum computing won't make traditional computations faster, holy shit. It's like I'm watching that cringy video made by that gamer about quantum computers. Not to mention that there is no reason to believe that high temperature quantum computing will ever be a thing, and we can't create a smartphone CPU that is cooled to close to absolute zero. I'm really afraid that the quantum computing revolution, if it happens, will force even more services into the cloud, since quantum computers may forever stay too expensive for individuals to own.

That was done with liquid nitrogen cooling, and it's even worse overclocking than what you could do with pentium 4s, which are 10+ years old CPUs.

>900p
Anything below 1080p is shit, not to mention that getting a better panel should be cheap as fuck for the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure the reason for the shitty displays is that normies who buy low-end laptops don't care that much about screen resolution.

Having bandwidth limits at all is a sorry fucking standard.

Most of the time you can have your battery replaced by professional third parties for like $70 at most, and you'd still have a better phone than what you could get today for the same money.

10 gps is almost two orders of magnitude more than the theoretical bandwith limit of LTE, did you mean 10 mbps?

>Developers should not have to consider sempron users with 512mb of ran when making their programs
That's not the problem at all. The problem is that apps have the same basic functionality, but eat up more and more resources because of bloat.

Holy shit, fucking SAME.

Nope, companies just want to show off to get sales but not do the complete work to make their innovation work as desired.

Too bad you can't browse Sup Forums without ending in a gulag

>>Developers should not have to consider sempron users with 512mb of ran when making their programs
>That's not the problem at all. The problem is that apps have the same basic functionality, but eat up more and more resources because of bloat.
This.

>Too bad you can't browse Sup Forums without ending in a gulag
In Moscow you end up dead and only if you threat putin mob.

With all the electromigration problems that Intel's latest process has, a processor pushed that hard would have a hard time lasting more than a week.

It's dependent on total dies size and just how big the part of the circuit at the highest frequency is
It's hard limited by the speed of light (10GHz to like 1.5 inches for example) and soft limited by voltage issues, heat and stability

Uh idk what retarted shit you're spouting but high refresh rates are extremely useful and the framerates are easily obtainable

Don't vocalize your hesistation, it makes you lose all credibility and look pathetic

Reading comprehension? It's not criticizing high refresh rates, it's criticizing the fact that the technology and game optimization necessary to support them aren't anywhere near standardized. "Easily obtainable" to the upper-middle American enthusiast class isn't enough.

It's much better to have hardware outpacing software than the other way around. It means that developers can try new things without being limited by hardware. There's really no downside.

Network infrastructure is lagging behind too much though, I agree.

Network infrastructure will stay that way as long as the govt and city municipalities keep protecting the monopolies.. theirs a reason why most major cities have 1 fiber internet option & 1 cable option. No competition.

>8K displays when even 4K content isn't anywhere near standardized
Can you show me where I can buy an 8K display? I don't know of any aside from prototypes at shows like CES. It's true that 4K content isn't standardized, but it's a chicken/egg problem. It has to start somewhere, and I'm glad display manufacturers are making 4K displays.

>4K or 144hz gaming displays when even the highest end GPUs struggle to run games in them
The GTX1080 and Titan XP can definitely support 4K @ 60fps, look at any GPU review. High refresh rate is a very niche area though, currently the only (relevant) games that benefit from it are CSGO and Overwatch, and both of these games can push 144+fps at moderate to high settings at 1080p+ with a 1080 or Titan XP. Hell, I have a 1060 6GB and a 3570k and I can easily get a steady 120fps at medium settings at 1080p, which looks 90% as good as the highest possible settings.

>huge unwieldy JavaScript-riddled websites with massive hero images when half of the internet traffic today are phone users who are on bandwidth limits
Any halfway decent developer will make a mobile-optimized site.

Agreed.

>video games and the rare 4K film/show with file sizes in the multiples of dozens of gigabytes when the average global internet speed is 5 megabits/s
Agreed on the internet speed part, however, storage is cheap ($50 for 2TB) and high file sizes are necessary for the (4K) content to look good.

I think I saw one at a best buy once but why would you bother

>It's much better to have hardware outpacing software than the other way around. It means that developers can try new things without being limited by hardware. There's really no downside.

Except for most developers it means "let's not even try to optimize our product and let the consumer's overpowered device bruteforce performance".

iPhones are considered underpowered compared to Android phones, yet the only performance issues that ever arise are due to Apple partially intentionally crippling old devices as part of planned obsolescence, whereas Android flagships can have performance issues with their own OS even when they're at their freshest.

Or video games which can be run by the same cycle of consoles for 5+ years, but which require the latest PC hardware at the time of their release to run smoothly i.e. Black Ops 3 (2015) could run on a 2006 PS3, but got FPS in the singles on the lowest settings on my friend's 2012 mid-range PC.

Storage feels like the only field which is making clear cut linear progress, size and speed are going up while prices are going down. Except in phones.

That's more memory and CPU than the computer we had running our University in the 1990s. It could handle twenty thousand simultaneous users.

>all with a realtime 8bit interface!

"Code poet" detected...

Oh crap, of course I meant megabits.
Idk, about 700 USD

I used to have a core 2 duo dell with 1080p display and I'm sure it was almost the norm for a while until muh thinshit became popular. I'm looking at laptops right now and high DPI seems to come at a higher premium than it used to. Plus they get to milk shitty 2gb ram and 32gb ssd models now which is fucking gay.

Thinness is overrated, low weight is nice, but past a point isnt a big deal