Name one (1) reason i shouldn't choose elementaryOS as my new GNU/Linux distro

Name one (1) reason i shouldn't choose elementaryOS as my new GNU/Linux distro

>inb4 install gentoo
Fuck off, it's a meme

why use a poor imitation when you could use the real thing

No thanks
I will not enslave myself to proprietary software
Also i'm poor but the main reason for choosing GNU/Linux is that it respects my freedom

Because it's a Ubuntu knockoff with an unpaid maintenance team. The real question is why you would ever choose this abomination over Debian.

my mfw when freetards

debian is mega garbo

>my mfw
Get the fuck of my board newfag

>missing both levels of irony
>>>/reddit/

Because Elementary's DE is just a slightly pre-riced, yet far more inferior version of GNOME. That's the only major redeeming factor of it.
Besides that, it's inferior to most other major distros (and it's blatantly obvious that it's trying to compete with Ubuntu)

If it's possible to install debian along with pantheon as desktop environment you got a valid point

used Luna and Freya for quite a time because "it looked nice" and when my gf's laptop, well exploded, she could get on mine and get simple "office" shit done also I could hop to my other builds anytime (< this.. important).. but yeap, listen to them anons, out of the box eOS is crap and as useless as a mac

Use whatever you want. The whole point of GNU/Linux is the freedom to choose. It's your computer, so install what you want on it.

OS X is pretty overrated. I guess it's better than Windows if you need Adobe software.

Debian is pretty good. Using it now.

hmm...should you choose a desktop environment that is being developed by the same people that make GTK, is being worked on with a full staff of paid professional programmers, is being used and tested by hundreds of thousands of people worldwide, and sits on top of distros that have thousands of contributors and are backed by companies with millions of dollars invested in it

or should you pick a riced out brand new desktop environment that sits on top of some mish mash of ubuntu (lol)

gee i dont know, such a hard choice

HYEH.....

-Because is no Rolling distro
-Ubuntu packets , i prefer debian unstable or arch packets
-Strange Desktop

D E B I A N
E
B
I
A
N

>packets
also ubuntu literally pulls packages from debian

what debian release do you use?

stable: everything is old as fuck, might be usable for a server but desktops need more up to date software
testing: not guaranteed to get security updates quickly
unstable: everything breaks all the time, scary as fuck

I want to use debian but every release has major problems

I love le risky life xaxa
Yes but I prefer pure debian X)

It's just literally gnome 3 but worse in every way

Anyone use downstream Ubuntu is certifiably retarded

Is this the new desktop thread??

Well, eOS is okay. I just like Xubuntu better

Not everybody can laugh at disabled. Maybe next time.

install solus

>terrible default font choice

Universal Operating System 4lyfe

Was it a elemtary OS dev who was complaining about the fact people shouldn't use elementary without paying

It still uses GTK after all of the GNOME pwnage.

m'lady

kde neon is pretty dank tho

top kek

elementaryOS has many flaws

However, the file manager has columns. Why the fuck doesn't every other manager have columns? They're trying to recreate what macOS has, and it has some neat things here and there.

Pantheon is terrible.
It looks meh, feels clunky and unintuitive to use and is definitely among the worst DEs.

Fuck off

Triskel
Blag
Ututo

are three good options to use GNU/Linux is basic way plus are 100% free and respect the free software ideas.

gNewSense is the one i am using now based on debĂ­an and with the support of FSF.

If you're into ricing and not into get some paying work done, then elementary is not for you

Blag hasn't been updated in like 8 years you retarded nigger

If you didn't pay for (free software) ElementaryOS, you are a thief and scum. Also the devs have a huge hardon for copying OSX which makes the users of this OS, colossal faggots.

It has never had a proper release, always beta version with bugs and errors for routine tasks.

If I made a distro that copied OSX, but didn't break and I didn't ask for money while calling people thieves, would I be less of a colossal faggot

No, OSX is automatic faggotry.

Fuck GNU and Linux does not belong on desktop

But it's not OSX, it's linux that looks like OSX

Do people hate the system or how it looks?

>I posted it again xD

It's based on Ubuntu, and as such comes with insane special snowflake defaults and a terrible package manager. Install FreeBSD, Fedora, or OpenSUSE instead.

how about you kill yourself

your shit is embarassing

>irony on Sup Forums
>who'd have thought
>better tell them how stupid they are
literally off yourself
fagtron

install gentoo

>hurr durr I can do whatever retarded shit I like and just call it irony

this must literally be your first day here

kys newfag
look I can be a retard too

I just hope for your sake you are trolling
otherwise you have real problems

Gentoo GNU/Linux is miles more polished than elelmentary OS, if you don't mind a meta-distro.

What an autistic thing to say

Its ubuntu with a lts

It's not rolling release. Maybe that doesn't matter to you, though, and that's fine.

I had to google it to see what you meant but holy shit that Pantheon file manager is nice.

I recently, after a few years of being a linux purist, had to get a Windows 10 machine for work purposes, and one of the first things that I noticed was that the file manager is absolute fucking shit compared to Thunar - and none of the alternative file managers on Windows are any good.

No, Ubuntu with an LTS exists, and it's a lot better than this shit.

ZorinOS is better

The issue is that it's ancient. They add features to it very, very slowly, some of them already available in a different form previously (for instance, the ribbon UI doesn't give it more functions, just shortcuts to those).

In contrast, linux file managers try to adapt new features. Also Finder has a few issues -and- a few advantages in comparison. It has many shortcuts for the stupidest things you could think of, but it is indeed pretty heavy on keyboard shortcuts, so much that you can't show/hide files unless you use a keyboard shortcut or go the longer way and use terminal commands for that. Also the whole merging files shit. And folder permissions.

But then it has neat things, like selecting 4 files and making a folder with it with a click of a button. And the god damn columns.

A U T I S M

Because Ututo XS exists as a FSF approved free and libre derivative of Gentoo. Alternatively you can use Devuan if you're too retarded to compile your own kernel, otherwise maybe kill yourself or switch to GNU/kfreeBSD instead of feeding the systemD NSA/CIA botnet ecosystem RedHat has been building.

what a retard

>my mfw
>muh """irony"""
just end your life already

>GNOME
What the fuck are you guys on about? Pantheon was written from scratch, its not a fork nor a pre-configured GNOME.

Bugs. Bugs and more bugs. elementaryOS works really well as long as you use your browser and nothing more.

I wish their team focused development in Pantheon instead of a distro from themselves.

This is valid. If your main reason for using Linux is an ethical one, you might be more interested in other distros. elementary is an advocate of OSS, not free software.

1)Because the devs are shitty people, whining about people not paying for their glorified Ubuntu spin and treating Elementary as its own OS comparable to Windows and macOS

2)Why are you using Linux but working in the confines of "We know best" devs?

3)It's MADE for plebs

4)Pantheon is just GNOME but lacking functionality and customization

5)Pantheon is a buggy mess that depends on ancient libraries, that's why it's so hard to make it work on anything but Elementary

6)It doesn't even look or work like a Mac outside of the dock

7)Are you certain you won't have to do a clean install when the next version of Elementary is released? ;^)

Elementary would be an okay replacement for people that use their Macs as glorified FB machines and who care about muh aestheticism and nothing else. It's why I installed it for a younger family member who only cares about that. It's near unusable to any """poweruser""" such as myself.