/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Previous Thread: /t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Computers preloaded with GNU/Linux and libre firmware: gnu.org/links/companies.html
Distro Search: distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All
Software List: prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Find a Linux User Group near you: lugslist.com/
Also LinuxChix : linuxchix.org/
News: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home
Gaming News: linuxgameconsortium.com/

Wan to know what a command is for?:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Don't know what to look? Type on the terminal $ apropos
For advanced users: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros): wiki.archlinux.org, wiki.gentoo.org

Learn more about Free Software: gnu.org
/fglt/'s website: fglt.nl/
/fglt/'s copypasta collection: p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Other urls found in this thread:

ocsmag.com/2016/10/19/systemd-progress-through-complexity/
webupd8.org/2009/07/deep-freeze-like-software-for-ubuntu.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libvirt)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libvirt
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages
nemrod.se/guides/install-rpm-packages-on-arch-linux/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file)
aur.archlinux.org/packages/lattice-diamond/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I AM ROOT

top motherfucking kek

Bad GNU/Linux experiances time! (I use GNU/Linux as my only OS, but we all have bad times)

>Hear about Alpine
>Want to use FDE with LUKS
>Only like two guides avaliable
>Use one of them
>Fuck up twice with partitions
>Have to add wpa_supplicant by hand to the boot runlevel
>apk fucks up repos, had to fix them manually
>Can't install Firefox so I try to add the edge repo because I'm edgy
>notice that the wiki mentions unstability.... whatever, I'm used to Debian testing.
>Breaks everything, literally everything. Ioctl can't find my wifi card to raise it.
>wew lad, didn't think instability meant literally ruining everything

Installed Devuan instead.

Because it doesn't use bridges and uses Adblock which regular Tor Browser does not.

oh my, I already knew it had package problems but that is discouraging

I'll stick with Devuan too, worked just fine for me

>looking at friend's arch install he made a month ago, after using Ubuntu for years
>Ask why he's logged in as root
>"I always use that account so I don't need to type sudo and my password to do anything"

In my experience (mostly limited to Xubuntu) updates are overwhelmingly more likely to bring instability to existing applications than fix anything.

Is there a way to limit update to critical security stuff and well-tested bugfixes?

I don't mind missing the latest in ricing technology, I'm just annoyed by the spike of abrupt software crashes usually introduced by "updates".

Thunar is the worst about this shit.

Install Debian stable then

btw. Thunar has longstanding bugs (I still use it tho)

Determine how fucked your /dev/SSD is in terms of GiB written:
$ echo "scale=3; $(sudo smartctl -A /dev/sda | grep "241" | awk '{print $10}') * 512 / 1024 ^ 3" | bc
>time to die

Debian Stable is exactly what you're looking for. Only difference is that you'll need to manually add your firmware (if required) the ISO.

when I execute a program it closes if I close the terminal emulator window. How do I keept it open?

Thanks, I'll have a look.

& disown

>grep, awk, bc
just use awk

... | awk '/241/ { print ...

man nohup
man disown

>man
just use info

>not opressing women by using sexist programs

>things are sexist
I love this meme.
Tell me more conspiracies.

Now I feel stupid. But not as stupid as when I used to cat | grep

why not echo > foo; cat foo | grep bar > bar; cat bar

why the hell does the network manager crash everytime i tether my phone? ubuntu 16.04

just because you're root doesn't mean there's no use for sudo

journalctl -u NetworkManager

What does it say?

375 lines of shit. theres a few errors but no errors when it fails

The reason why systemd causes so much anger is because it does multiple tasks at once?
that it?

I need to try out the several DEs out there, but I don't like the idea of having to reinstall buntoo over and over.

How many of these could I have installed at once without breaking another? I remember installing Gnome 3 on Ubuntu (with Unity) and making at least one of both unusable afterwards.

ocsmag.com/2016/10/19/systemd-progress-through-complexity/

webupd8.org/2009/07/deep-freeze-like-software-for-ubuntu.html

dang, didn't know I could do this. Many thanks

Don't mention it.
I had similar problem, wanted to test different version of same package.
So I used puppy linux, since it asks you if you want to save save the changes you've made at the end of the session.
After that I realized someone made the same thing as a dedicated package.

>we could implement that but nah... let compositors implement it XD
t. wayland devs to every single thing

what a meme. There will be tens of implementations to every single thing and then user applications have to target those tens of implementations and... but hey, atleast Wayland is _simple_!

To the user from the previous thread that posted Thanks.
I totally dig the "old piece of shit" look.

Its a good thing.
There's no reason why the display protocol should handle such doodads.
If you care about them, you can use a compositor/manager with such feature.

Which one takes much more space?
VBox or QEMU?

disk space? some package managers reports how much space in going to be occupied after a certain operation

Yeah.
I missed up when partitioning.
So the "/" is about 30 GB so I try to conserve disk space as much as I can.
I'm running manjaro linux, and I need to test some Windows ISOs and USB passthrough.
What would be easier/better VirtualBox, QEMU, Libvirt?

qemu is smaller and has better pci passthrough support than vbox

>So the "/" is about 30 GB
I've never managed to fill that much.
Even on an installation with like three desktop environments and shitload of development packages.

libvirt is fine.

QEMU+ Virt-manager, then?

why dont you just try and see which one suits you best?

It's not like once you install one thing you cannot remove it in the future.

Jesus Christ.
Stop seeking approval for every single one of your decisions.

Well, I'm asking because I'm not understanding what's the difference.

>VBox
Oracle propriety with complete set to virtualize anything including android.
>QEMU/KVM
Hypervisor ? what does that mean? only command line?
>Libvirt/Virt-manage
A GUI for a library?
Can you use the Disk Image from one on the other?

manjaro uses pacman as package manager, just run pacman -S virtualbox and pacman -S qemu, before going on with the installation it will report the total installed size of the selected packages

>Hypervisor ? what does that mean?
A quick search would answer you precisely what hypervisor in the context of virtualization means.

>A GUI for a library?
A GUI for a libvirt deamon

vbox is lgpl, only extensions are proprietary.

You could use -Si for the same results with more info.

I'm even more confused now.

Plain english is confusing?

down vote
accepted

The hypervisor is the device or software which runs the virtual machine. It's typically responsible for allocating the resources, providing the interface between the virtual machine (the "guest") and the host system as well as any management software.

So if you're using VMware Workstation to run a Windows 7 virtual machine, VMware Workstation is the hypervisor.

vbox and qemu are both hypervisors (vbox is in part open source anyway):
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor
>A hypervisor or virtual machine monitor (VMM) is computer software, firmware, or hardware, that creates and runs virtual machines.
qemu doesn't have a GUI to manage your virtual machine (but obviously it does have a virtual display to interact with the virtual machine), but there are various gui for it.

>Libvirt (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libvirt)
various tools and software to manage your virtual machine, it support various hypervisors (qemu and vbox included); you can use its GUI to manage and configure your qrmu virtual machines.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libvirt
usually vbox will use a vhd virtual disk image, it possible to use that format with qemu (or just to convert the iamge to another format). Anyway if you want to use qemu you may prefer "qcow" as image since it has better performances.

yeah but it will not show the cumulative disk usage including the package's dependencies

So I need to install Qemu+KVM+Libvirt+Virtmanager?
To make passthrough possible?

Let me rephrase.
I want to run a virtual machine with passthrough and not use VBox and with GUI.
What do I need to download?

KVM is a kernel feature, you don't install it.
You can use qemu alone to make any kind of virtual machine if you want so save space, but yeah, libvirt is pretty convenient and it will make it easier to configure your VM.

How do I install .rpm package in arch?

>I missed up when partitioning.
>So the "/" is about 30 GB so I try to conserve disk space as much as I can.
why you can't just resize you partitions?

not a good idea, just make a pkgbuild, but if you really have to, you will have to extract the rpm and place every file in its right place.

How does dd handle empty disk space?
There's a 80 GB HDD with about 20 GB used space.
When I pass this
dd -bs= 1M if=/dev/hda of=/media/diskimage.img
Will it create a 20 GB IMG file or 80 GB?
>virgin killer sweater

How do I create pkgbuild then?

Try rpmextract or rpmunpack

I ran extraxted .rpm package, but don't know what to do now.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages
what software are you trying to install anyway?

nemrod.se/guides/install-rpm-packages-on-arch-linux/

Lattice diamond

it will create an 80G image
dd doesn't give a shit what kind of data it's handling
depending on your filesystem, there may be a tool that does ignore "empty" (slack) space

You've already been told how to do it, yet you keep doing menial steps and then asking for more handholding.

Generally, It will be 80Gb. But if your filesystem support sparse files (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file) you could pass the option "conv=sparse" to don't copy all those zeros.

The other solution, which I personally prefer, is to compress the dd output.

>Lattice diamond
there is already a package in the AUR:
aur.archlinux.org/packages/lattice-diamond/
It doesn't works with you?

Yes.

KVM is already installed, QEMU, Virt-Manager and libvirt you'll need to install yourself. However, yes it's the general rule for passthrough.

You don't need libvirt/virt-manager to passthrough if you use a QEMU script instead. However libvirt/virt-manager has certain advantages like pinning vCPUs that a QEMU Script doesn't have unless you patch compile QEMU. It'll help a lot with fixing potential sound issues.

QEMU, libvirt, virt-manager to make it easier on yourself. If you use Arch/Manjaro you also need firewalld to have the VM go on the internet as it'll complain about missing shit when starting it up without firewalld installed.

Recommended read: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF (read the entire thing. Don't skip parts. This will tell you exactly what to do).

Got error with yaourt that package wasn't found in AUR

using conv=sparse on a filesystem image will only be effective if the filesystems' slack space is or has been zeroed
a well-used filesystem will have fragments of deleted files in the slack space

there are tools such as partimage and ntfsclone which can create full disk images of filesystems in a smarter way, by analyzing the filesystem and ignoring the contents of slack space, negating the need to overwrite slack space beforehand

Damn it.
The file system I'm running on is ext4, but the hdd is formatted FAT32.
It's an old HDD with windows XP installed on it. I thought I could use it to create a VM disk image.

Not him, but doesn't this mean it will take longer copying/cloning disks?

>I thought I could use it to create a VM disk image.
you can

it'll take longer to clone an 80G with 20G of data on it if you don't ignore slack space (eg. use dd)
with a tool that is aware of the filesystem, you can copy just the 20G that actually matters

create a virtual image, pass both the virtual image and real hard disk to the virtual machine. Then with a live software like clonezilla clone the disk to the virtual image.

i found this website look for technology on google malaysia so i hope okay for me to ask. my nephew like computer and linux company very much and have birthday 10 day. which linux is best to give? i have good computer friend tell me linux ubuntu is better than linux mint, which linux software can play game? is

oh, even if you do use partimage/ntfsclone/etc, the resulting file will still be 80G, only it will be a sparse file, on filesystems that support sparse files, it will only take up 20G of disk space, and only 20G is actually copied overall
you can make the file smaller by either compressing it, or turning it into a CoW format like what VM's use

Give gentoo

>you can
I know that.
The issue is I can't boot into the machine to make the VDI file.
So I have to use this method.

you can't boot what machine?

>it'll take longer to clone an 80G with 20G of data
Then what would be a better way of cloning the HDD?
I just boot a live linux then dd the hdd to external hdd every week.

hear is hard to instal? he have autism so need something easy understand

depends on exactly what you're trying to do

dd'ing an entire hdd that isn't completely full only makes sense if the image is going to be used for forensics purposes (analyzing slack space)

The HDD is IDE hard drive from desktop from early 00s, that can't boot up due to faulty mobo.
There's some software that's needed on the HDD with no replacement for it.
Swapping the mobo proved to be difficult.
So as a last resort I thought about setting the whole physical disk as a virtual machine, and instead of having the HDD in the open with a bulky PSU.
I thought creating a VM from the data would be better.

>Forensics
Far from it.
I'm just creating backup HDD in case the current one fails, I'd just swap it.

Is perfect for him, autism good at gentoo

thank you very much friend

So all of these are -with the exception of TAR- are just dd variant that would copy the empty space as well?

>tfw my primary storage is with 5 year old WD greens and my backups are a clusterfuck of 15 different 3.5" and 2.5" drives ranging from 500gig to 5 gig and I try not to think about it

for that (something like a mirror, but not "active" like a raid1), i'd use partimage, or just mount and rsync
in the case of partimage, you skip copying slack space (that is, you only copy used space)
and for rsync, you only copy files that have changed, which may be even less data

>partimage
So it would clone the current state of the HDD?
>rsync
This sound like what would I want.
But does it clone the HDD, including the partition table?
It sound like cp with more features.

I'm not really user do distro hopping. Whenever I do, I usually start from scratch. This time I love it how I have my XFCE configured. How do I switch from Manjaro XFCE desktop to Debian but keeping my XFCE to look the same? Do I just put /home in a separate partition and then use that for Debian?

No, most of manjaro themes are not in /home.
Why would you want to switch to debian?

More used to it I guess. Having to update shit constantly is sort of annoying. I guess I'll wait though. Manjaro is really working well at this point.

>Having to update shit constantly
If it's work, then don't update.
I'd just wait for the newer release and re-install the OS.
Since /home is on a different partition.

I want to copy over my HOME directory.
Which is faster?
dd if=/dev/hdx1 of=/dev/media/Home.bin
or
rsync /home /media/
Or the old copy & paste?

Okay, I get it. I guess I'll keep Manjaro for now. Pacman is pretty easy to use and I am enjoying the colossal amount of packages available. I don't really care that much about pure libre. System runs fast and looks great, I can get work done.

I don't understand why the hype on Wayland, is broken and is buggy. I smell bullshit.

Complete retard on linux, but I need to play with terminal a bit for the university, what's the most user friendly distro for winbaby? Ubuntu?

Would this be a good way to back up /Home?
rsync -a --exclude=.cache --progress /home/$USER /media/linuxbackup/home/$USER

I just rsync -av --delete myself, I delete all previous backups in the destination folder.

yeah, you can almost get away with not using the terminal at all with ubuntu and it's derivatives. So you can very easily get an install up and running and then figure out hwo to do stuff in the terminal bit by bit.

>So [partimage] would clone the current state of the HDD?
partimage clones partitions
>But does it clone the HDD, including the partition table?
no, just files
>It sound like cp with more features.
that's one way to put it