/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/h-TWQ0rS-SI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hey what's the best mobile browser for Android and why?

how can i make typing math-shit non cancerous?

i want to write some documents that heavily use math functions like sqrt, exponets, fractions, integrals, etc. but i cant figure out a non cancer way to add them in microsoft word

Firefox. You can get ad blocking with other browsers using the hosts file, but Firefox is the only way to disable it for some sites and run anti-adblock killer scripts.

What is the easiest way to make a storyboard for app development? I know you can in powerpoint but I don't want to have to fucking install visual studio for the plugin.

I'm looking for the most comfortable palm grip mouse. I don't really care if the sensor is the best fucking thing ever, I'm no Counter Strike pro, but I appreciate when it's good.
>LEDs are okay, I don't really care unless they're fucking everywhere
>Conservative design, no transformer-looking shit
>Wired preferred, I don't want to deal with battery issues later

Chrome imo because of how fast/smooth it is

How can you find the sata version for a laptop optical drive port. Thinking of replacing optical drive with a hard drive so I want to know what speed to expect.

generally it'll be the same as the one for the actual hard drive

it's a smaller version of the sata interface but you can just get an adapter

Is this a good monitor for a poor fag like me?

I mostly just play vidya games but I'm not sure if I should upgrade. I currently have a dell E207WFP

Chrome. There's little differences that make it subtly better, and it copied Opera's datasave feature. Firefox is a decent runner up though.

The U2410 you found in your other post is a better monitor in every aspect.

How do I make all the images load via ls instead of ls2? ls2 is so fucking slow.

Steelseries Rival 300. My favorite mouse of all time. You can turn off all LEDs, it's really conservative in design, it's wired, and it has a nice sensor.

Okay I give up.
Guys I swear Firefox is FUCKING with me right now. My whole system is slow as shit, and you know why? Because Firefox is using all my shitty ram up to half the swap, crazy right? yes. And guess what? I ONLY HAVE 2(TWO) FUCKING TABS OPEN. YES TWO(2).
I went to about:memory to see what was going on and, BOOM. This fucking little shit has in memory data that I used to fap to 5 hours ago. Why is Firefox doing this to me? Why the fuck? This is not the first time it does this, I'm tired AHH Firefox fuuuck. I know this can be fixed restarting, but this behavior triggers my whole existence, why the fuck would you keep stuff in memory, stuff that I closed that I don't need anymore

You watch your ram too much. Chill out

Edit your host file at /etc/hosts to be something like
good Sup Forums server(space here)shit server

What version of FF do you have, and what plugins are your running?

Close firefox.

Restart firefox.

I love my MX Master.
>No LEDs
>Design isn't too flashy, rather sleek
>Can be used "wired", though the cable is purely for power and it won't work without a wireless signal
It's not specifically a gayming mouse, but I've had no issues playing my vidya shooters with it. It's almost as configurable as you would expect a gayming mouse to be, with programmable buttons and DPI settings and whatnot.
I've had mine for a little over a year, never had any problems with the signal or tracking. It holds battery for about a week of very heavy use, and then you just stick a cable in it for a couple hours to charge it.

Overall I'd say it's a great mouse. It's fairly heavy and offers no adjustment in that department though, so if lightweight mice are your thing you don't want one of these.

install chromium

What is a good program for setting up temperature fan speed curve for AMD cards? I have an XFX card and their drivers are the stock AMD ones and those allow me to only set it on either automatic (which is noisy as fuck and tends to run the fan at high speeds even if it's not needed) or a set speed.

Whatever program you use to overclock your graphics card with. MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, whatever XFX most likely has for you, and so on.

See
>I have an XFX card and their drivers are the stock AMD ones

Do third party programs even work with GPUs made by different manufacturers?

RAT9 looks ugly, and is expensive, and early models have issues with bad sensors, but fucking shit its a very comfortable mouse. Rare do they have a pinky rest, its amazing.

Overclocking utilities are not drivers. I don't know about XFX specifically, but most manufacturers have their own utility. Again, not a driver.

As for different manufacturers' programs working with yours, maybe. As far as I know, usually the only thing that won't work is voltage control. Fan control and overclocking (without overcolting) should be fine.

Try looking on Craigslist if available in your area.
I paid full retail price for my pair of monitors, and now some dude is selling the exact same pair for $200.

XFX doesn't offer overclock utilities.

is there any video player which can interpolate videos to a higher frame rate? the VLC developers are so autistic that they will not even consider adding such a feature because a low frame rate is "cinematic". i have some videos with unwatchably low framerates and a simple cubic spline filter would probably help quite a bit to salvage them.

Sup /sqt/, /diy/ reporting.

The only real advantage over ECC vs non-ECC ram is error protection, right?

I have a Xeon E3 based machine (HP Z220, specs related) and a 4th gen i7 based machine (Dell EX2 w/ i7-4770K, no OS yet) in front of me, and I'm trying to work out if I stick with the 220 or move to the Dell for my primary workstation (mostly DAW and CAD work). I'm leaning to the i7 because I have faster RAM for it, but short of lower power draw/temps because no integrated GPU, I'm not seeing a lot of reasons to stick with the Xeon. Using the Dell would open other GFX card options as well as it allows full height cards; The GTX750 was the only decent spec card I could find in a low profile form factor.

Thoughts Sup Forumsentoomen?

What's RAM frequency for? What does it matter?

What's the difference between a RAM stick with 1333 MHz and one with 1600 MHz?

youtu.be/h-TWQ0rS-SI

RAM speed doesn't matter (

RAM speed defines how many bits per second can be shifted in and out. Broadly speaking, faster = better.

> What's the difference between a RAM stick with 1333 MHz and one with 1600 MHz?
The former can shift in bits at 1.333 billions bits per second, the latter 1.6 billion bits per second. The advantage should be obvious.

ECC RAM is designed for servers that have several months, of years of continues uptime. For that ECC RAM is necessary. Regular home use it wont matter.

You better be baiting.

>bits per second
lol

and see 1:55 in

What exactly do I do with a single .wav file and a cue sheet? The end goal is to split it into individual tracks but everythings in chinese and shit, how can I be sure it went off without a hitch?

I used CUEtools but tracks came out with fucked up characters and metadata

Thanks.

I prolly should have said operations per second, but I'm watching that video now anyway. As I say below, I am kinda rusty.

Dude, I'm an engine and airframe mechanic for an airline, and the last time I payed close attention to PC specs was back when Cyrix processors were a thing. Short of imaging them both identically and benchmarking I'm babby in the woods here.

Then just try one from another manufacturer. You could also try Speedfan.
The worst thing that can happen is it just won't control your fans.

It's always simply been clock rate.
Sure, a high clock rate sort-of means "more shit done" per second, but really, it's a lot more complicated than that.

Crap, I thought you quoted my original post . My bad, long day.

I guess Ill go for that one then
I'll be getting one which said

Was spreading the thermal paste before installing the heatsink even a recommended thing to do? I'm watching videos on how to fix RRODs on 360s and every single one I've come across has who made them doing that.

I know, right?
Even when I notice the slightest decrease in performance, I hurriedly go to check the system resources to see what's causing it
This was the cause of my stress when I had a Windows Phone

51.0.1(64-bit)
Enabled plugins:
OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems, Inc.
IcedTea-Web Plugin (using IcedTea-Web 1.6.2)
Shockwave Flash

I do have it installed, and it does indeed work in a way easy to understand(close tab = frees that tab's used memory). But I only use it when I have to run stuff I can't run/ have difficulty running on Firefox. Even with tabs having their own processes, Chromium still uses much more memory than Firefox, limiting the number of tabs I can have open, or in cases like fapservice's manga compilations, I have to kill the tab through Chromium's own task manager, and then reload the tab to free the memory and avoid using the swap, which slows down my system. This doesn't happen with Firefox.
But sometimes, Firefox have this weird behavior I can't, for the love of god, understand. I opened a bunch of tabs, animated gifs, webms, pngs, jpgs, and closed them, but it's like I didn't close them, they are still present in about:memory.

I am building a new PC and was wondering if I could use my current storage devices (an HDD, 2 SSDs) in the new build. Do I have to wipe them completely? How do I do that?

Chrome, Google integration

It was in the past.

Depends on the type of thermal compound, there are a few that require spreading them before installing the heatsink. Usually with a brush.

no, it can cause air bubbles to get trapped, and air is a shit heat conductor

i think this stems from a misunderstanding of "spreading paste", the idea is to place a blob in the middle, and spread it by /placing the heatsink on the package/, as in, "squish" the paste flat with the heatsink

Yes, you can. Depends how you have stuff partitioned. You can probably back up one SSD to one of the other two devices, then just use the installer for Windows or whatever to delete all the partitions on it, install the OS in the unpartitioned space (it'll make what it needs) then copy stuff back once you're up and running on your new system.

anyone done any IVTC?
i haven't worked with NTSC dvd's before, only PAL. i have one here that should be all 24fps content, but i'm having trouble getting consistent results

What's the FASTEST way to get
bootstrap.js
and jquery.js

in my directory

scripts when I make a page?

Copy paste is slow.

do you want to reinstall/wipe anything?
no? then don't, you can reuse your OS and storage volumes

Does youtube video get view counts when accessed with youtube-dl?

it seems i was naïve to assume companies would release a dvd with a consistent telecine pattern, so i could just separate/select/weave and be done with it

How long ago are we talking about?

Doesn't that usually only apply to very liquid paste that is generally garbage? In all of the videos they were using either MX4, Artic Silver 5 or Noctua.

I know, but I'm wondering why the fuck all of the videos I watched (at least 8, and no I just skipped to the part where they applied the paste) had people doing it. And even when people pointed out in the comments that spreading it is stupid some retards gave them shit.

>all of the videos I watched
random youtube videos?
not exactly the greatest source of information

I figured that among those I watched at least fucking one would get it right. On top of that I glanced at some forum posts and most of those recommended spreading it as well.

>Doesn't that usually only apply to very liquid paste that is generally garbage?
Yes. Though whether that stuff is garbage probably depends on where it's used. It is recommended for delidded CPUs for instance, so long as you make sure not to get one that causes copper or aluminum to corrode.
Though a reason these videos might recommend spreading the paste could be that it's easier to keep from flowing over the die and spilling onto the chip's PCB that way. This would kill the chip with conductive paste. Spreading onto a bare die is alright, but you should do it with a finger wearing a rubber/latex glove as opposed to something like a credit card.

IS THE 15 L502X FOR $400CAD/$300USD A GOOD DEAL

>use word
>use wolfram alpha and paste screencaps
>get LaTeX

NO

Learn and use LaTeX.

Best video editing software?

>$400CAD/$300USD
why is the USD so fucking stronk

"Why is the currency of the country with the most powerful military on earth so strong"? Not even shitposting, it has a lot of historical precedents.

>was on W7
>kaby lake processor doesnt work so i move to W10
>its fucking shit
>install ubuntu
>no drivers at all and shit just crashes for no reason
wat distro is gud

because Harper tanked our dollar and Trudeau has no idea how to recover it

So I could hook one of them to the new build, install Windows from a USB and it will give me the option right there to wipe the SSD/overwrite it?

I asked this in the previous thread: does wsus offline update work? I am having to do a fresh windows 7 install and i read that pastebin which helped you get over the update hump. That shit is totally bananas. Wsus looks simpler, but it also looks kinda sketch.

I used to use pic related back when it was lean and light. Now it's nearly as bloated as adobe and has a tonne of shovelware and constant auto-updates and shit.

Is there an actual light-weight, preferably foss pdf reader for windows?

>does wsus offline update work? I am having to do a fresh windows 7 install
I did the same thing recently using wsus offline updates.
It took forever to get everything and needed to be babysat a lot but yeah, it eventually worked.
A bunch of updates had errors and shit but the one that updated the update service worked and then win7 could take care of itself.

>Is there an actual light-weight, preferably foss pdf reader for windows?

evince is actually a solid pdf viewer for windows (and linux, naturally) much to my surprise

if you're looking more than "it reads pdfs" it might not be suited to your tasks though

final cut pro
imovie

>WD-40
i'm triggered. it's NOT a lubricant and should never be used as one.

You only have to wipe the partition the OS is installed on. You do that in the OS installer.

>evince is actually a solid pdf viewer for windows (and linux, naturally) much to my surprise
Yeah, that will do. I use Evince on ubuntu and it's fine for most things.

I looked at Okular and its main page claimed to work fine on Windows but when I looked at downloading it, it started giving links on how to install KDE on windows, which is kind of the opposite of a lightweight pdf browser.

Before CPUs had heatspreaders. So around Pentium III / IV I think

If you're asking for the best you don't need the best. If you did, you wouldn't have to ask.
Do yourself a favor and don't go spending >$300 on that shit. Sony Vegas is enough for your needs.

Is it gay to install pic related on my xiaomi air 12?

Perfectly reasonable. Recommended even, it's a nice little notebook.

What about that OS?

Does it deliver on its claims?

What little software will tell me on my screen what is my controle volume whenever I change it?

I'm in need for virtualiztion, but I'm new to it and have some questions.

1. What would be better VirtualBox or QEMU+KVM.
What's the difference?

2. How does the guest virtual machine handle the hardware of the host machine?
For example if I connect a printer through USB port, does the printer's driver have to be installed on the host machine to show on the guest machine?

3. What about shared folder filesystem format?There is a way to share files between the host and the guest,right?

4. To my understanding the whole VM is just a single VMDK file, would storing it on external storage be a better solution?

5. With the exception of malware specifically designed to infect host machine from within the VM, is running a malware in the VM safe?

If it makes any difference, I'd be using it on thinkpad T420 with 4 GB of ram and Core i5 2520m CPU.
The stuff would be mostly running windows only applications, and maybe running some VNs.

Sumatra

Why Windows 10 is actually very efficient and fast as a Live USB OS?

Is Apricity OS any good?

Is my Nexus 7 kill?

>screen froze, wouldn't even sleep when I pressed the power button
>holding it in turned the tablet off, but whenever I turn it on I have the same problem, it's stuck on the very first image that displays (the white-on-black Google logo)
>can't even get into recovery mode because the screen freezes just the same

I've bought IDE/SATA adapter, needless to say the power brick was defective.
but I can manage since I have old PSU.

The issue is pic related.
I'm not confidant in the quality of the Molex to SATA connection.
The pins on the molex plug are loose, and I'm afraid it maybe wired in the wrong way?

TL;DR
Molex to SATA cable, the 5V and the 12V rails might have been switched.
How do I check?

What is the most recommended program for Windows that allows you to align and snap windows to a grid on the desktop?

>1. What would be better VirtualBox or QEMU+KVM.
>What's the difference?
KVM and VirtualBox are both hypervisors.
KVM runs as an extension to the linux kernel. If you're using linux, it's faster, and easier to manage many VMs.
VirtualBox is better crossplatform.

>2. How does the guest virtual machine handle the hardware of the host machine?
>For example if I connect a printer through USB port, does the printer's driver have to be installed on the host machine to show on the guest machine?
Depends, if you just blindly pass through USB, it's fine, no need to install drivers.
Most hardware is virtualised and is essentially "made up" for the VMs. If you want to give access to real hardware to the VM, passthrough is what you need to look up.

>3. What about shared folder filesystem format?There is a way to share files between the host and the guest,right?
Yes, multiple ways depending on your VM+Guest OSs, hypervisor, and needs.

>4. To my understanding the whole VM is just a single VMDK file, would storing it on external storage be a better solution?
No, a VMDK is just the hard disk image. VMs don't need to have an attached VMDK, and likewise they can have multiple.

>5. With the exception of malware specifically designed to infect host machine from within the VM, is running a malware in the VM safe?
Most malware can detect VMs and either suspend themselves (to prevent in-VM analysis at AV companies) or try to break out. If you've been asking all this to run a virus lab, you're not skilled enough, don't blow off your own leg here.

Have anything to check for continuity? (Multimeter, ect?).

I'm pretty sure that P3s did have heatsinks.

they do, but most of them don't have heatspreaders

>i'm triggered. it's NOT a lubricant

yes it is

>and should never be used as one.

wd40 leaves a *very* light, low viscosity oil layer that acts as as a lubricant and as a result is de facto spray to use where you would want to clean and lubricate something with a very light oil, such as squeaky hinges or things seized with rust

you'd have to be a moron if you're trying to use wd40, which for all intense and purposes is a very light layer of a very light low viscosity oil, on something that requires a high viscosity oil or grease such as gears or chains

the one thing wd40 is shit at is that it can't be used anywhere near bearings or rubber o-rings (often found in chains) because the petroleum products make the rubber brittle; competing sprays like gt85 use ptfe as a lubricant and otherwise don't contain petroleum products so can be used on bike chains, but despite ptfe being a lube often found in bike chains gt85 only applies a very thin layer of a very light lubricant and again should not be used as a bike chain lubricant - it makes a much better spray for cleaning

when used in the right situations wd40 lasts years as a lubricant; the more you know

now please, quit spreading uninformed disinformation, and don't even think about coming back to reply with "but it's a water displacer! not lubricant" or "but it's a solvent! not lubricant!"

I'm pretty sure that it's built in. just drag the window to the edge

Yeah, I got this.

Set it to the one just right of the 6oclock position (right of the 200m V option). Check continuity between the respective pins on each side.

Does it make sense to reuse aio parts once any of the those breaks?
Lets say my pump dies, can i use the radiator in a custom loop?

Thanks for replying.
>1
So qemu with virt-manage.
>2
Does qemu allow passthrough?
>3
Good.
>4
How would a VM run if it doesn't have any data?
>5
>run a virus lab
I'm just want to play my moongolian visual novels with auto translate.