/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Get freedom respecting computers:
gnu.org/links/companies.html

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part IV: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6828207/
Part III: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6785580/
Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation
youtube.com/watch?v=r_DwZfyXAXI
youtube.com/watch?v=tRuidIhiqc8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

can't be two threads, and this one came too late

?

I'm not really user do distro hopping. Whenever I do, I usually start from scratch. This time I love it how I have my XFCE configured. How do I switch from Manjaro XFCE desktop to Debian but keeping my XFCE to look the same? Do I just put /home in a separate partition and then use that for Debian?

You can get the manjaro themes from github, just save your configs.

Hey dude, the OP from the other thread here.

You are confusing me with someone else and you seem to think I am in some sort of race to create a thread first.

I recognize there was people trolling and creating troll fglt threads but not me. I am cool with someone else making the threads, but can you take the best from the other OP? Like the formatting and the links. People appreciate a less cluttered OP.

And again, I am not that shitty apps guy.

>muh ganoo linux
>mfw I converted to a toybox system a week ago

fuck off

I think you mean GANOO/fuck off

Anyone use Linux on a MacBook pro?

> """Friendly GNU/Linux Thread''''''

> Starts off with rude picture

(You)

Although "GNU/Linux" /ɡəˈnuː slæʃ ˈlJnəks/ is often pronounced without the slash, Stallman recommends explicitly saying the word "slash" or "plus" in order to avoid the mistaken suggestion that the Linux kernel itself is a GNU package,[49] as is the case with GNU Linux-libre.

49. Jeremy Andrews, Interview: Richard Stallman, KernelTrap.org (2 January. 2005)

I wouldn't know since I use a BSD/Linux operating system.

Is that image real?

Is that pronounced BSD Linux or BSD slash Linux?

Thanks

Is there a way to have virtualbox run a virtualized linux os that stores it with files visible to windows? Instead of all of the OS stored as one file.

which distro?
inb4 gentoo

LFS. I'm trying to make an initramfs-only system, so I'm bundling everything in the initramfs and using a custom init script to start a terminal/X/whatever without switching the root FS.

>watching Stallman speak right now

W-what should I ask him?

You are a wizard with the patience of a mountain.

Is there a reason why Firefox always has some black screen flashes on Linux? This doesn't happen on Windows.

Probably driver related

Tested with a NVIDIA card (proprietary drivers) and AMD (open source drivers), no difference.

GNU/Linux*

>This doesn't happen on Windows.
Nobody cares.

I now use GNOME MPV as the player, and here is my profile:
vo=opengl-hq:scale=ewa_lanczossharp-antiring=1:cscale=ewa_lanczossharp-antiring=1:interpolation:tscale=oversample
opengl-shaders="~~/shaders/SSimSuperRes.glsl"
video-sync=display-resample
Should I change opengl-hq to opengl-cb?

maybe? better read the manpage

How do I fix this? Every time I close a popup/firefox tab this flickering happens.

I'm using i3.

tried compton?

happens with compton too
why is it so hard to have a decent video experience on linux

You know.. out of sheer curiousity, search for cyberfox, download their linux version for your cpu. Let me know if the issue continues

same shit

Your drivers are fucked
setup them up correctly

h-how?

>you drivers are fucked

>sudo pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu mesa-libgl

yeah probably I fucked something up during this step

This isn't meant to prove a point or anything, but is Linux used in industry outside of servers?
Reason I ask is because I've been using Linux for only about 5 months, because I was under the impression Linux was used for embedded systems development (it's what I want to do when I graduate). However, I'm starting to get the idea that Linux is used for RTOS/the embedded system itself, and not for actual development. I got an FPGA development board from Altera, and the little setup program that maps the pins and does the top level design is only Windows compatible, despite the PLD IDE-thing being Linux compatible. And the FPGA board itself can run Ubuntu desktop, so I was pretty surprised that the setup was only windows compatible. I emailed them about this, and they just told me use Windows computer, bastards.

TL;DR, see first sentence of post.

what

>amd
>xorg
>/etc/X11/10-monitor.conf

Depends on the company, we do our development on Ubuntu/Debian

who is we

The company I do my summer work in is mostly Linux. We built medical software+hardware, where the hardware runs an x86 based board and FPGA, and runs linux. The developers for that all use linux because it frankly just makes sense to target linux from linux.
The apps team uses windows because they need to write apps targeting windows machines in hospitals, but they're smaller and their tasks are far less interesting.

Most web development shops are the same - all the tools target linux servers, so they use linux development machines (or macs, if they're on the creative side, which are posix as well)

(((Kali shit here))) i got it, going to start with Debian or Mint.

Thanks dude!

So, i guess im gonna start with Debian then try Mint. Hope can do it with Kali.
another question: it was a mistake to post that screencaptures with my mac address right? i'm fukd? what should i do?

yes of course

What I couldn't believe was in the australian military they still use windows XP for the defence network. Even the top secret secure field computers are windows XP. One time my boss lost a top secret HDD, that was a fun week.

You're welcome. Best of luck.
As I said, I wouldn't worry about the mac addresses.

Ok.

Also i think i fucked my USB (used it for install Kali). it was 8GB, now it is 2,75Gb.

lol

MAC addresses aren't internet related; they just identify your machines inside your local network (router - pc -laptop - phone - etc)

thanks

Chances are whatever you're reading is just reporting the partition size that Kali is installed on. The USB still has all that space, just wipe it and reinitialise a filesystem to get it back to where it was

Stop installing GNU/Linux.

debian 8 + xface, and neither in firefox (allowed pages to display in their fonts) nor in the filemanager (tried different fonts, atm usingFreeSerif) can display certain UTF-8 symbols, e.g. korean ones.
1) Is FreeSerif lacking korean symbols?
2) Why is that happening in FF?
3) Anybody a suggestion which font to use - I'd prefere Sans ones but they look very weird and wide, but not monospace wide...

I sit down when I pee, there ain't nothin that crazy bout me

Some come here to sit and think, you came to shit and stink.

Good thing I'm on Windows 7.

Windows is phoning home since XP.

Why? IIS is incomparably bad for serving non-trivial web applications.
The Microsoft C compilers don't even target the embedded systems I need to target on a day to day basis.
I like being able to deploy and manage systems and services from whatever tools I want, and not have to contort powershell into what I need.

Windows is fine if you're a normie writing Word documents in an office environment, but just about anything more serious in tech requires you to start looking at alternatives, unless you're writing C#/Java line of business applications - and I think at that point I'd euthanise myself.

>Windows is fine
No, Windows is malware. Even normies deserve better than that.

I blocked the connections in my hosts file.

I came to shit but only farted, now I sit here broken hearted

Sierra runs like shit for me, so I am putting Mint Serena 18.1 XFCE on my MBPro as we speak. Seems to be running much, much faster and nicer so far.

When I say fine, I mean acceptably operational. I'm trying to be objective here. I agree that everyone deserves better, but that's generally held to be a matter of opinion.

It's undeniable fact that Windows is, however, wholly inadequate in much of the technology space. I suspect if you drew a line between the two populations on Sup Forums - windows users and other users, you'd see that mostly windows users are also the ones driving nvidiot vs ayymd shitthreads, and mostly other users are driving sqt/dpt/etc.

Sup Forums would do well to be split into /gc/ - consumer technology and /gd/ - technology development, approximately. I'm not sure those names explain the difference quite as I intend it to be.

came to piss but sharted too, so I left my underpants in the loo

Heh heh...

;-)

looki looki what I found wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation

Linus does, fucking sellout piece of shit.

wow, I suppose is well supported then

Any ideas on what I did wrong here?
Is it easier or harder to put together a rtorrent + rutorrent setup on gentoo than it is fedora?
Should I even bother? Is there a standalone RSS downloader that I can use with rtorrent?

rtorrent is old outdated garbage.
use deluge

>stalled

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
If it ain't fixed, don't use it

Any improperly configured client will stall

Is deluge the Arch Leenux of torrent clients?

how do you solve this?

Configure your client properly for your connection

>Is there a standalone RSS downloader that I can use with rtorrent?
flexget works golden with transmission-daemon

stalls on stock config bruh, also nothing wrong with transmission.

how? I have transmission for example

stock config is better then your shitty connection bruh

Dont have 5000 connections open if you have a 5mbit connection

I..you..wha, that doesn't even make any sense

I guess learning a new program would be easier than trying to get ah patchy to do anything you want it to do. But what about gentoo?

he probably cant persuade his parents to buy a gigabit router and use a modem not from 2008

The way I unstalled connections was to limit upload, not sure how it works thou

yaas

>Friendly Linux Thread

What do you mean friendly linux thread?
[it becomes quiet] Friendly how? What's friendly about it? You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but friendly how, I mean friendly like It amuse you? It makes you laugh, It's here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean friendly, friendly how? How is linux friendly? You said It's friendly. How the fuck is linux friendly, what the fuck is so friendly about linux? Tell me, tell me what's friendly!

dem damage control

Whats a milk drinker like you doing here!? Go back to you mama.

[everyone laughs] Ya motherfucker! I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. user, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, user. You may fold under blue screening.

youtube.com/watch?v=r_DwZfyXAXI

Since this one seems to be flying over people's heads.

I loled heartily btw.

No more shines, Billy.

youtube.com/watch?v=tRuidIhiqc8
Since this one seems to be flying over people's heads.

I loled heartily btw.

THIS should be a mandatory OP for every /fglt/ from now on.

FlexGet vs Sonarr?

whichever runs

What's a good fully-featured live distro with intel wireless drivers and h264 support out of the box? For gentoo-installing purposes.

sabayon?

literally all of them