How do you make linux look good?
It's the only reason I don't use it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0
5dwm.org/maxxi/screenshots.html
github.com/adapta-project/adapta-gtk-theme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's a silly reason.

If you use a GTK based desktop environment like unity in the OP pick, cinnamon, gnome, etc the most popular thing to do now if to install a flat GTK theme like numix, arc, or flatabulous and then install numix-circle-light icons.

That doesn't look bad in comparison with windows

you install macOS

Install Lumina Desktop.

>How do you make linux look good?
you customize it. that's the whole beauty of linuxes, you can make it look exactly like ishit or stick to text only

Whether a DE/WM looks good is totally subjective. For example stock awesomewm with default gtk application look looks good to me. To some people that looks ugly and they want KDE Plasma. The point of it all is that you make it look how you want to.

but what if all of it looks terrible to me?

why even make this thread if nothing looks good to you?
don't use computers at all then

>you customize it
>what if all of it looks terrible
Then you customize it in a way you do like, you retarded fucking mouthbreather.

>gnome 3
>Ark dark shell theme
>Dynamic title bar
>Pixel saver
>Numix circle icons
>Solarized theme in terminal

but my imagination sucks and I find it impossible to make something look good and to my liking

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Alright, then see

it is too late, I am forced to use computers for a living for the rest of my life

then use the default desktop look, get some trendy emo bangs and listen to this whenever you use a computer
youtube.com/watch?v=Gd9OhYroLN0

Any Example of What Looks good to you?
Also >>>/wpg/

>use computers for a living
Then wtf are you doing trying to make it look good? How about you stop fucking about and get some work done, you lazy procrastinating fuck.

I can't get work done if the desktop I'm working on is a disgusting eye rape

You can, because if you would actually do some work, you wouldn't fucking see the desktop. This is literally why I don't hire millennials.

Ubuntu looks horrible.

There's not even a trace of old SUN/SGI look and feel left in linux.

it's time to grab the shovel and change your job

a slight misunderstanding
not the desktop itself, but the environment
the sort of shit that happens when you have a gtk3 theme installed but use gtk2 and everything breaks and looks ugly as sin, even obscuring most of the information in the window because the font turns to black on a black background

Is this thing usable?

5dwm.org/maxxi/screenshots.html

Then don't use a broken theme you moron. You're clearly too incompetent to rice anything, so just stick to whatever the default is.

it's like win 3.1

Looks good but I prefer neon green.

>Gnome 3
>Arc Dark Theme
>Paper Icons
>Paper Shell Theme
>Dash to Dock to move dock at bottom
>Dynamic Status Bar

My nigga
I forgot to specify bottom dash to dock as well

Arc theme can make pretty much any distro look good. I don't like it on KDE though, and Cinnamon is the same deal with icons being a little weird and out of place in the start menu.

Actually I don't know if I like cinnamon in general. It seems like some of the issues with KDE but none of the benefits.

I run Ubuntu with unity and I use flatabulous as my theme and paper icons plus paper cursors. I think it looks really nice with a comfy wallpaper. Can't post a screenshot now because I'm at work.

>amazon

>it's like win 3.1
Confirmed birth date after 1990. Off yourself!

>Fluxbox
>whatever shit you want/need to use on top of it.

With a minimal window manager and some ricing you can make it look great.

Or buy a macbook if you want true beauty,

>he doesn't use the Adapta GTK theme
github.com/adapta-project/adapta-gtk-theme

forgot to post the screenshot

What is it with people using huge fonts? And why such a huge dock? Do you have bad eyesight or something?

It's a 15 inch laptop, if you see that screenshot on your big monitor, everything will probably look huge. And that dock auto hides when a full screen program is on focus.

>flatabulous
wew, that looks shit mayne

I'm watching that screenshot on a 14" laptop actually. Four eyes confirmed.

Fourth reply is the best reply. Typefaces in GNU/Linux suck

isn't that original Evil Dead ?

Nice censor job.

You must be a macfag then, because windows looks like shit.

nostalgiafags are the worst

I agree. Nostalgia however has nothing to do with being able to recognize shit properly.

use Tails, Fuck good looks be safe instead.

>Tails
Not all of us have a cp collection we need to hide.

Just choose the right theme in Linux.

nope, sorry 1989. eat a dick made of shit

Damn, why is every single fucking theme nowadays numix/arc? Fuck this copy paste shit.

It's nearly impossible to make linux look good. There are some pretty themes but it's just lipstick on a retarded pig. You can get it to where the file manager will give you some really pretty screen shots but actually using it shows that nothing has any consistency, icons will often be 20 years old, the taskbar is garbage compared to windows, some things will have way too much padding, somethings will have zero padding. GUI on linux is a mistake, CLI is the only thing that looks nice on it.

please tell me more how this shit doesn't look similar

>windows NT logo in the background
At least you tried...

The number one reason why linux looks so bad is due to the lack of good typography. Good fonts play a huge role in usability. Problem is, designing a perfect typeface is one of the most difficult, rarest skills in the world and the good ones that do exist are always commercially licensed fonts.

Either make it no-GUI, or bloated.
Whichever seems more natural to you.

same shit, different colors

Its objectively the best combination

wat fonts you use

Download KDE, best looking DE out of the box

But if I want to look for a theme I want something different and not just a recolour. I would use breeze/kde in that case since it's the same shit anyway and it at least supports custom colours out of the box.

>smaller border
>less bezels
>no retarded italic font
>no shitty tone of grey
You are legally blind son...

KDE is a piece of shit, windowsbabbeh speaking.

>it's just lipstick on a retarded pig
>some things will have way too much padding
>somethings will have zero padding
>icons will often be 20 years old
sounds like you're describing windows 10 here to bh

Looks like a shittier Nextstep circa 1989.

He's describing both linux and windows.

Linux is what you make of it, desu.

If you're have aesthetic problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but OS looks ain't one.

>cosmetic changes to details
>it's completely different!
wew. you probably believe that linux distros are completely different as well

Forgot my Screenshot:

I'd be happy if I could just convince loonix not to use retarded huge fonts where it shouldn't use them. I mean come on, Why do I need size 20 fonts in a goddamn browser tab, or a title bar?!

Yes I do.

>minecraft

Edit the program font setting.

>Yes I do.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You mess with settings until you've got something that you like the look of.

So, how does it feel to not be able to adjust your font sizes due to incompetence? Perhaps Windows is more suited for someone with your level of thinking.

Nigga fuck you.

>due to inexperience
ftfy

too bad it's shit

Nigga fuck you too. The key-binds to zoom in and out on most browsers are the same. Its not inexperience, a knowledgeable windows/apple use can figure this out pretty easily. Its incompetence.

Every other DE is shittier aside from XFCE but that looks like shit

you fucking moron, zooming in and out won't fucking change the GUI FONT

it's slow, bloated, buggy and literally crashes in the first 3 minutes of use

How do linukeks feel that they will never have this level of minimalist aesthetics?

>window controls on the left side
dropped

>mfw everyone here uses bloated DEs

We read from left to right in the first world.

And yet, you still close the door with your right hand. Every single time you faggot.

This is you.

Hasn't crashed for me in... 22 months? Yeah, stable since version 5.3 for me.

I don't know, how do mactoddlers feel, that they will never have this kind of informative display in their finder?

All you have to do is go into settings and adjust your fonts, retard. Literally every DE can do this.

This is pretty much what you're saying:

>"I'm not an intelligent person enough to use google or try to induct problem solving, therefore it is the tools fault, not the user."

Incompetence.

How do i make Unity look like that???

He hasn't even uploaded it yet?

That's what's called a PEBKAC problem since I and many other people don't have any problems with it

Feels great. Because I can design a more minimal approach and not have the same shit everyone else uses. """"Thinks different""""

How do you know which window is active? Also do the autism window managers finally support arbitrary mousebindings, like pressing mouse button 5+ mouse button1 to drag? If they still can't do that than i must say that this shit is absolutely useless.

If you will show me a setting called fonts in this picture, I will suck your feminine penis.

>implying I do it unironically

I've never looked into that, but my assumption is that it isn't possible. Awesome is meant to be used with the keyboard mostly.

>How do you know which window is active?
Ju... Just look at the active selected window. I mean if you're that stupid just don't use minimal design.

>Also do the autism window managers finally support arbitrary mousebindings?

Yes. In fact they always have, you just have to know how to write a script.

The ugliest OS interface with the exception of some obscure Linux DEs. Even WinXP looks better. Why do people fall for the "Macs look pwetty :3" meme?