/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

The only other one is maxed out, so I'll start

I'm building a pc with a z170 gigabyte motherboard and a skylake intel processor.. what this means is that installing windows 7 would be more difficult. so i was considering just using windows 10, but directx12 is shit performance wise and actually reduces framerate for games

can i keep directx 11? is the jump to directx12 automatic if i install windows 10?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/antsunrise/saved/#view=FYsLkL
amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Plus-SATA-6Gbps-Motherboard/dp/B00F5R9O46/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t
youtube.com/watch?v=oEsSpr80e64
skycomp.com.au/msi-z270m-mortar-mb-z270-lga1151-4x-ddr4-1x-m-2-6x-sata-dvi-d-hdmi-dp-2x-pci-e-x16-usb-3-1.html
skycomp.com.au/gigabyte-ga-z270m-d3h-mb-z270-lga1151-4x-ddr4-1-m-2-usb-3-1-type-c-dvi-vga-hdmi-matx-motherb.html
techdows.com/2016/09/material-design-in-the-browsers-top-chrome-flag-removed.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmere_(microarchitecture)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Win 10 for game mode, Steam is going to be steaming about it.

Install win 10. I wouldn't trust a hacked-together win 7 install on that platform.

now this really is a stupid question. I was using Visual studio to make c# programs in Windows. What do I use to make c# programs in Linux?

Just moved into my apartment and am trying to get internet. Already have the equipment but they won't let me do a self-install because of pic related and want to charge me 50$ for it.

Do they just want money or is this actually true?

what would be best budget GPU for this build?

SOmething that is good enough but not best but good enough ya know?

pcpartpicker.com/user/antsunrise/saved/#view=FYsLkL

I will reply to myself here

I am thinking a rx 470. I'm not much of an AMD fag but it seems to have good reviews for a great price

>make kubuntu live usb
>plug in desktop
>start kubuntu
>monitors go off
>give it a minute
>nothing
>try it on my laptop
>works fine
Does this have anything to do with my 970?
Trying to Google but nothing seems to be helping and is mostly for older versions of Ubuntu.

I have an old machine and i am about to change geforce 460 to AMD HD6870.

Will my 400W power supply (some old Nexus) be enough?

I think both those cards use about the same power so yeah

I just tried installing my first GPU and broke the plastic lock-in pin. Am I fucked?

Yeah, that was my assessment as well aside from thinking that AMD was little lighter on power.

From the current GPU generation in the market, is there any which doesn't use aditional power from the PSU? Just plain old PCI-E supply. I have a cheap EVGA 430W

how can i transfer my oem windows to a new mobo? i called microsoft but they said they didnt believe that i was replacing a damaged motherboard (i actually am) . i remember one user posted a link to a program that you put on a usb and use as a boot device to modify the os and trick it. but i forgot to bookmark.

gtx 1050 and some 1050Tis use power straight from the PCI-E lane

Almost done with my setup, now I just need to connect everything.

Are all ethernet cables the same? Anything I should look out for/avoid?

How the fuck can I redirect the server that delivers images, on Sup Forums? is2 is a piece of shit and never loads images properly.

Hosts file change? If so, what do?

It's bullshit nonsense. Tell them you're not paying for their infrastructure maintenance costs.

RMA it for a new one. Say it came broke.

If you can't do that, no, you're not fucked. The pin just locks the card in place. It has no other electronic function that I know of.

They also said the earliest they can get a technician out to me would be next Friday and that I'd have to wait until then.

1050 would be enough for recent games al 1080p right? I don't care tweaking the settings if needed to get 60 fps

Alright I'll do that. Thanks man.

i would say that the 1050ti barely makes it to 1080p at 60fps, let alone the 1050.

What anti virus/malware protection should I use for Windows?
I do not have common sense 2017.

is there a online/offline file converter i can use without having to pay shit?

fuck CloudConvert and it's 25 conversion image limit. I have like over 90 .BMP images to convert into .png and shit.

Fastest way to sell used, "good" condition parts?
I don't care about profit only time, they're not worth much anyway.

you just might have to unseat the 970, install, and then plug it back in and see if it works then. That freaking Kubuntu live cd is a pita.

Put it on your yard, put a tag on it saying "for sale, $50, ring bell". It'll be gone in 2 hours, since you only care about time, not profit.

Serious question, are you retarded?

Do you guys have any study tips?

I'm trying for my CCNA cert.

Of course I am. I'm on this site.
Get off Sup Forums and study.

If there's an xfinitywifi access point, and your parents have Comcast, and you don't mind your Internet being unencrypted wireless, you could sign in with their credentials and use it indefinitely without issue. It doesn't even count against their transfer limit.

It's likely they do actually need someone to go there and flip/connect something. They needed to be let into the garage of my building for that. I was charged $15.

Break it up into tiny chunks you can spread across the entire timeframe, and do one each day before clocking out.

Unfortunately I have no other GPU option. I guess I could install Kubuntu on something then see if it works on the pc.
Is it just the live CD?

updated bios and pc isnt working how do i reinstall windows 10 got this bios amazon.ca/Gigabyte-Plus-SATA-6Gbps-Motherboard/dp/B00F5R9O46/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Are Sup Forums images loading poorly lately. Click them and they just turn grey and do nothing

gimp has batch mode, and imagemagick can do that too. How are you so helpless?

>gimp has batch mode
that's all i need to hear

thanks user

What is the best textbook for self teaching calculus?

Is there a way to install Windows 8.1 along side Debian and keep GRUB Intact?

Micro SD cards in Android are mounted on my device in /mnt/media_rw. I want to give apps direct access to that but Android is set up to deny access to anything except the built in file explorer and apps that have root access.

Basically I want MX Player to have access to my SD card, but because of permissions to /mnt/external_rw, I can't even navigate to that location. How do I fix this?

requesting the my son you must choose wisely with the rx480

Okay, so why is is2.Sup Forums so slow?

because hiroshimoot is a fucking retarded niggerfaggot who is tryin to jew us with Sup Forums passes.

I have been searching for a text file on my windows 10 machine for over an hour. I know the file exists. It contains an email address. Why for the love of god does the file not come up in windows search. Neither the start one or the file explorer one. WTF

>Are all ethernet cables the same?
ethernet cables come in different categories

>Anything I should look out for/avoid?
Don't use an older cable. Don't shove it in the wrong hole?

Even if I'm using ssl over wifi on my phone can my company find out what threads I view on Sup Forums?

Stop browsing Sup Forums at work. There's better stuff to look at.

youtube.com/watch?v=oEsSpr80e64

We have had our eyes on you for some time.

Lost the MFT on my NTFS hard disk.
There were mostly programs and git repositories, so i don't need to recover the data, but i need a reliable list of files. What do?

skycomp.com.au/msi-z270m-mortar-mb-z270-lga1151-4x-ddr4-1x-m-2-6x-sata-dvi-d-hdmi-dp-2x-pci-e-x16-usb-3-1.html

same price

skycomp.com.au/gigabyte-ga-z270m-d3h-mb-z270-lga1151-4x-ddr4-1-m-2-usb-3-1-type-c-dvi-vga-hdmi-matx-motherb.html

which is "better"?

should the fact I'm getting am MSI video card influence my decision?

I perceive MSI's system boards as being slightly lesser than Gigabyte/Asus. Is that how it is?

is there a free aztec code reader for pc?

How can we use technology to BTFO Normies?

how do I make a templeos live usb?

You are the normies.

What the fuck is this faggotry? I have not used pale meme for fucking years, is it chrome now or something?

I thought material design was a chrome thing, and I can't find a single link about disabling it that does not assume you are running chrome.

What the fuck is happening with browsers?

i'm pretty sure that you can configure it in about:config as i edited various elements there. but don't ask me where exactly

we first mput technology in every single aspect of our lives and then complicate it. normies will die, trying to figure out text only interface

There is a flag in chrome, but it's not even supposed to be a thing on firefox based browsers. If I add a -chrome to the end of "disable material design palemoon*" I get zero relevant results.

> dat wasted screen real estate
Fucking disgusting.

*or firefox

Oh, and for the record, as of the latest release, the flag is removed.

techdows.com/2016/09/material-design-in-the-browsers-top-chrome-flag-removed.html

just...don't use pale

Time to try chromium I guess. I'm just sick of having to jump between browsers because arbitrary shit. I was on firefox for fucking years, they fucked that up, now it feels like I need to change browsers every 6 months.

FUCK.

/rant.

>chromium
user...

About a month ago my PSU died. Its in the RMA process now. How can I know if my PSU didn't take any other components with it? I don't have another PSU to try unfortunately.

If it did, what can I do; would the other components' warranties work?

how to install W7 on 6/7th gen intel
>get pc with older processor
>dont use loonix or W8+ because it fucks up your MBR and its a big fuck around to fix it
>burn ur windows 7 iso to usb
>clone the usb to an empty sata drive
>put that drive into your pc and install W7 to a different drive
>install your mobo supplier USB 3 drivers and intel chipset drivers for W7
>now u got W7 fully functional on latest intel processors with 0 risk of crashing or anything
>dont listen to retards saying IT WONT WERK
>dont listen to retards saying INSTALL W10 AND TOLERATE IT

also bonus: installing from another sata drive makes the process so fast it's like a joke

Why is datamining bad?

Need a PDF reader for Ubuntu that allows writing notes/highlighting with custom colors and other functions like that.

because you pay for power someone else uses for free

Monodevelop

Why is vimperator broken ? All commands relative to tabs (like tabopen, refresh, delete) aren't working, how do I fix that

the fuck...?
i'm sure i replied to the other user

don't you have ANY PSU? a trash one is good enough

I have one, its just 50 miles away inside of a machine I built about 6 years ago being used by a family member as a media center.

The RMA said it will ship out on the 10th so its decently soon.

Guys, found a used ThinkPad for sale.

T510

HARDWARE
CPU: Intel Core i7 M620 2.67GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: SSD 120GB SATA Kingston 512GB
Screen: LED 15,6” HD+ (1600x900)

No dedicated graphics card.

This is for 360€ (384 dollaroos)

Worth it?

you know, it reminds me the drama with 64bit systems not suporting 16bit software
microshit said that (more or less) "to run a 16bit program, system would have to translate every adress from 64b to 32b and then to 16b and vice versa which would eat up too much computing power"
microshit likes to feed people with bullshit

> M620
> No dedicated graphics card.
> 384 dollaroos
Not really. Look for x20 models, i. e. Sandy Bridge and above.

My computer has been shutting down randomly and I'm not sure why. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, whether it be watching YouTube or playing a game. I know it's not a heat problem, because my temps never go beyond the mid-50's. It'll shut off and then reboot a half second or a few seconds later. Sometimes it does this twice in a row.

Could I have a failing hard drive? This is a new build but the hard drive was salvaged from an old PC of mine that died a few years back. Or could it be a PSU issue (PSU is new however, and 80+ Bronze rated)

Any help is appreciated

literally has shit all to do with the processor, its just the new chipsets with newer I/O ports that dont have generic windows drivers

Well, I found a refurbished x201, but it's an i5

>i5-520m
>8GB RAM DDR3
>250GB HDD
>120GB SSD

322€ (344$)

In case you could't tell, I'm oblivious about processors apart from the i* nomenclature.

Pretty pricey for the T510. Probably doing it due to the SSD and HDD combo. Look at the /tpg/ guide and try to decide.

That's a 1st gen i5 just fyi.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmere_(microarchitecture)

Is this peanut butter any good?

Because you;
- Can't be certain the company in question runs a tight, intrusion proof ship.
- Can't be sure who they are dealing with in terms of third party data access.
- Can't control who the data goes to and under what conditions if the company folds and the administrators start selling off their data assets to the highest bidder.
- Can't be certain that a legislation or governmental change will not convert that data set from an innocent online behavioral assessment to a tool to find and target perceived "enemies of the state"

Datamining bad, mmkay?

I didn't turn off my laptop properly, now it goes bluescreen in a split second after it starts up and restart.

had to reload for captcha

Oh fuck, now I've replied to you instead of GO HOME ANONYMOUS, YOU'RE DRUNK.

try loading into safe mode (assuming wangblows), if you can, install and run bluescreenview and check whats breaking. If it fails to boot completely note which file it halts on, see what it does, and see if it's fixable. All else fails, well, you've broken your OS. It was prolly due for a reinstall anyway.

Use irfanview's batch convert mode.

If they wanted they could set up an ettercap man-in-the-middle honeypot with same credentials as you log into and run sslstrip on your shit.

I ran blackbird (win 10 privacy enabler) and it fucked something up.

Every website I visit takes around 10 seconds to open up. It's not a DNS issues, I tested with different DNS servers.
I think it's more of an IP issue.
Even doing a wget 192.168.0.1 in powershell takes 9 seconds. Same thing if I open it from firefox, a really long time.

I think blackbird fucked up one of the services. Any idea which windows service could it be?

btw, running the same command (wget 192.168.0.1) from xubuntu in a virtual machine with bridged adapter is instantaneous.

So that rules out a NIC problem, cable problem or router problem.

Is Ubuntu still riddled with Amazon?

I think so...

Blackbird doesn't make Windows 10 secure.

You have literally botnets, backdoors in a kernel and hardware level.

Switch to Linux already, if you care about your rights.

>switch to an unusable, unnecessarily complex OS so that you can tell other people how much of a computer wiz you are

kys

Just because you're too stupid to get your head around it doesn't mean we all are user. Git gud. If you can't manage a basic mint install you have no place on this board.

>complex OS
Ubuntu is far less complex than Windows. You can actually understand what the OS does and you can actually stop it from doing something.

Nobody, I don't think even Windows devs. understand Windows.

>unusable
maybe if you are a fucking gameshitter teenager