Currently debating about upgrading from the GTX 780 to the RX 480

Currently debating about upgrading from the GTX 780 to the RX 480.
My only fear is AMD's drivers, are they good now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_NWfaRiPc&t=8s
youtube.com/watch?v=AMutEI-bLqo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're fine.

Don't do it lol.

Fine Wine
Am I rite

Meh, they have their quirks if you're into overclocking. But otherwise they're pretty well flushed out. Just wish they'd fix Relive so it didn't record the fucking video timer.

RX 480 was going for performance and performance only, it still runs hot and loud to the point that Sup Forums fanboys had to undervolt it in order to actually make it more stable. 4GB RX 480 is utter trash and goes even with RX 470 while being worse than a meme 3gb 1060. 8GB RX 480 is good performance wise but like I said it's a RX 480 in the first place. Honestly if you really want to upgrade to AMD just wait for Vega or get an used 390X which is better than RX 480 in the first place. And I say this as a massive Nvidia fanboy that got badly burned by 290x.

Yes, they are pretty good now.

>are they good now

Basically, yes. Their quality, and more importantly their release frequency is pretty impressive these days.

If a hooker changes her name to crimson and promises to get regular STD checkups does that make her cooter clean?

Its the same stinky AMD whore using her wily tricks without actually cleaning herself.

The drivers are "Ok", but the 480 is shit.
Get a GTX 1060 or wait for Vega

>My only fear is AMD's drivers, are they good now?
Yeah. AMD drivers are bad is a meme.

>Meme

As an old 280x owner I can confirm that they were indeed really fucking terrible at one point. Had to jump from Vista to Win7 in the first place because AMD didn't release one (1) single driver for my OS in 6 months. Then there was the issue with mouse pointer flickering and fucking 2 years of waiting for downscaling.

390x over 480? No way.

t. 390x housefire owner

so 470 is better?

Considering prices, common sense and performance:

8GB RX 480 ⩾ 1060 6GB > RX 470 > 4GB RX 480 > 1060 3GB

Considering European prices, performance, temperatures and noise:

1060 6GB > 8GB RX 480 > RX 470 > 4GB RX 480 > 1060 3GB

Don't do it.

>4GB RX 480 is utter trash ... while being worse than a meme 3gb 1060.

This is false.

AMD is always a mistake.
Nvidia and Intel always. Always always
Don't KEK yourself

nvidia gpu fanboys who buy apple laptops god help this board

Except it isn't.

Why the hell do you need a $280 graphics card to game at 1080p

Why does no one in this thread even discuss resolution?

Wut...my 480 wont go over 75 at like 40% fan. You sure you are not getting confused with the GTX 480?

>over 75
>40% fan
>thinks this is good

Uhm this isn't 2010 anymore. Modern Pascal cards literally don't ever reach 70 degrees while rarely even activating the automatic fan profile.

Yeah we all wish this was true.

My gtx 680 doesn't even reach 60°c with 40% fan speed.

Gotta love Gigabyte.

Keep being buttmad AMD drone. AMD is 3 years behind Nvidia. My fucking 970 ran cooler than your thrash card while running on 30% fan speed.

Thats the highest I've ever seen it get cracking trips, not gaming. It's cool and quiet, I never hear it.

That's what Sup Forums means when they claim that RX 480 is "hands down best 1080p GPU in existence and everyone should buy it". They simply discard all inconvenient truths and facts and call sources providing such facts shills. Gj man, I hope AMD pays you well.

There is no way my card gets that hot, ever.
How much do you make per post?

Careful, mate. You might run out of bait.

>autistic screeching

Pathetic but amusing.

Nothing but you can hook me up. I will gladly shill for shitty AMD products if they pay well enough.

Do you have a 1060?

I remember the 780Ti being on par with the 970 with the 480 being slightly worse than both. I don't know the difference between the 780Ti and the 780 but I don't think a 480 will be much of an improvement.

1080. Upgrading from 290 to 1060 wouldn't make a god damn sense.

What firestrike score do you get?

480 is on par with a 980, m8

>Inb4 subtle samefagging and providing some sort of chart showing how gimpled Kepler got followed by acting surprised

8/10.

>480 is on par with a 980, m8

buhahahah. Yea, right, cause Doom is the only game in existence right?

Certainly better than a 970 at this point. It's the same in Witcher 3, so yes.

So you don't have a gpu at all?

>Same
>10 fps behind when compared stock clocks
>15 fps behind when compared oc

Oh please do tell.

Let's assume you're not a fanboy and the 480 is on par with a 980. It's still not a worthy upgrade from a 780Ti.
OP, I'd say you go 1070 or wait for Vega.

>An RX 470 worse than a 3GB GTX 1060
>Autism

youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_NWfaRiPc&t=8s

And this was the 470 a couple months before.

ok.

true, unless his gpu is old and busted, and he does not want to spend $400+ on a new one.

>An RX 470 better than a 3GB GTX 1060
>Autism

youtube.com/watch?v=AMutEI-bLqo

>Cherry picking charts with no actual footage of benchmark methodology.

No please go on. I can do the same.

>Sep 23, 2016
>Autism

>Magical 20% performance drivers meme
>Autism
>One game I cherry picked chart meme
>Autism

Battlefield? One of the most optimized games out there?

Now come back and give me an updated benchmark, user.

Nvidia shill detected. I'm running a 1070 founders and I constantly have to throw my fan speed to 100% due to it reaching 80-83c while playing VR games/overwatch/etc. Perfectly fine airflow (fans placed directly pushing air into intake, exhaust is not blocked at all). Hell, if I don't keep my fan speed at 100%, it throttles like a bitch and causes my frame speed to dip into the low 30s. Reeee.

>48 Replies
>18 Posters

I haven't seen Nvidia shills shill this hard since yesterday.

>founders

You're either a retard that should stop browsing this board or a falseflagging shill. Either way off yourself.

You mean one autistic AMD shill.

>A GTX 980 is now R9 390X level
>Nvidia GPUs have aged this poorly

>Nvidia shill posts are known throughout Sup Forums
>Implying the opposite

sounds like you have a shit 480

no you need competition in the market otherwise we're all screwed with mediocre products. amd is very competent

>A 3GB GTX 1060 is better than a 4GB RX 480

He has never owned one in the first place.

OP what resolution are you gaming at?

1080p
It's not the performance that I am worried about, its the 3GB VRAM thats gimping me.

on par with nvidia, without the extra shit nvidia tries to force you to install.

You should wait and buy a new graphic card if you migrate to 2k o 4k (really you shouldnt spend 200$/€ to run from high details to very high; unless you can sell the 780 for something substancial, in that case go for it, you can find R9 Fury for something more thant the 480, it has only 4gb, but are HBM that has highter compression, so you should treat it like it has 5.5gb)

Please, provide proof when the 480 8GB goes even with the 1060 6GB these days and the 480 4GB has the exact same chip but with slightly slower memory.

>tom's
LMFAO DESU SENPAI
The only thing Tom's is good at is shilling Nvidia products and trying to skew their admittedly very accurate power draw figures to make Nvidia look better.

is it the 4gb 780?
honestly just pick up another one
you'll get better performance out of two 780s than a single rx480

anyone got that background without the gay text?

>Modern Pascal cards literally don't ever reach 70 degrees
maybe if you live in the shithole called canada. my 1080 easily hits 74 - 76c

6gb, not 4gb. my bad

point still stands

>maybe if you live in the shithole called canada
no our cards get plenty hot too
there's this thing called 'indoor heating' you might've heard about that we canadians use in the cold months

wow so is this that fake news i keep hearing about? i don't even use amd but this bait is bad bait.

See
Then see

Maybe if you can deal with the shithole that's called SLI (and Crossfire).

AMD drivers been good lately they just need to htfu with Vega 490

390x here it's a good card and reliable as all fuq with a decent cooler.

SLI works fine you memer

>old benches of a single game only
So where's the actual proof then?

Yeah my 390 oc'd Nevers goes above 75. Summer here too

Yea, you fucking tell us how a card that goes for msrp just shoy of a 1070 cools so much better than a stock msrp 240$ card is.

stock to stock, the difference is negligible.

you said upgrading, not downgrading. Go and get a GTX 1060.

amd drives have been fantastic for years, the only reason they get a 'bad' reputation is they publicly state issues, and for a long time didn't have day and date drivers, but as someone who never updates drivers till something wont fucking work, game ready drivers are a fucking meme.

Everyone her saying the 480 is loud has obviously never used an MSI or Gigabyte version of the card. There were times when the fans would fully turn off during Doom because the temps dropped below 60c.

they went from "just works" to "works very well"

It's amazing how good can one company become when cornered.

>game ready drivers are a fucking meme.
from nvidia for last gen cards, yes, I had 770 last year - new drivers did NOTHING
AMD actually does some optimizing

Ok, let me clarify something.
Unless the game devs are TOTAL shit, game ready drivers do next to if not nothing.
If a game is fucked its usually more on the games side then amd or nvidia, but both have to fucking cover for shit devs.

That said, why the fuck do game releases need new fucking drivers all the god damn time? Do devs look at dx11 and 12 and just say fuck you Ill do this my way with amd and nvidia both facepalming knowing they are going to have to put in overtime to fix the retards fuck up?

>In the first place

If 480 get the XFX

290x=390=480

Don't forget they've never released a driver that lit your card on fire either unlike a certain other company.

Apple Laptops use amd gpu`s

tfw radeon 7850

>there are people who actually fell for the 390/x meme
>$150 more
>1 fps increase

>Sup Forums fanboys had to undervolt it in order to actually make it more stable
My roommate got himself a 480 and didn't have to do shit. Works perfectly fine. Drivers are fine, no crashing, everything stable out of the box.

I've had a ton more issues with my 380 than he's had with 480.

serves you right for using vista in the first place
people clinging to shit products is whats making it worse for everyone else

>friend has a 390
>nothing but driver issues including the infamous gta 5/ffix release issue
>he upgrades to a 1070
>my evga 980 has a bios issue so have to rma it which will be a couple months long process
>friend offers to lend me his old 390 in the meantime

I'm not looking forward to this. The driver issues are real if my friends experience is anything to go by.

>tri fan 1060
>.
>vs
>.
>reference cards

it's because shitty amd tried to cheat and draw more power trough pcie that is allowed. When they got caught, they removed that cheat, and so newer cards ship already neutered

Most of them got ironed out by now. The problem was worst when Crimson had just come out, I think 380/390 owners suffered the most judging by AMD forums back then.

I am well aware and I remember, that was only the problem with reference cards.

that's more of a sidegrade desu

No problems here

AMD really upped their driver game since late 2014. Since they solved the 150 MHz bug in the latest release there are no serious bugs in their drivers. RX480 is a great card, get it if it isn't more expensive than the 1060 where you live.