Due to Zen's unexpected performance, Intel has been caught with its pants down

Due to Zen's unexpected performance, Intel has been caught with its pants down.

Their answer?
#1 Housefires.

cpchardware.com/intel-prepare-la-riposte-a-ryzen/
techpowerup.com/230422/amds-upcoming-ryzen-launch-to-prompt-reshuffle-of-intels-cpu-line-up
>First we find the Core i7 7740K . It has 8 MB of L3, with a base frequency of 4.30 GHz (100 MHz more than the Core i7 7700K) at the price of a significantly higher TDP (> 100W against 91W). The Turbo frequency is not known, but should logically be 4.60 GHz.

>One of the other sample takes the name of Core i5 7640K . At first glance, this is also a speed bump of the Core i5 7600K: Quad Core, 6MB L3, 4.0GHz base frequency for the 7640K against 3.8GHz for the 7600K. On the TDP side, it would also climb above the 100W. But there is much more interesting: the Core i5 7640K would have active SMT (Hyper-threading), a first for a Core i5 Desktop. This modification profoundly upsets the segmentation of the different "Core". Until now, the Core i5 were distinguished from the Core i7 by the absence of Hyper-threading.

#2 moar corz with moar L2 blingbling edition
techpowerup.com/230400/intel-readies-the-xeon-gold-series-processors-for-media-workstations

Jim's team cleans house again, History repeats itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

linleygroup.com/mpr/article.php?id=11666
google.com/finance?cid=327
eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331317&page_number=2
eteknix.com/intel-skylake-de-lidded-surprised-us/
hardocp.com/article/2017/01/19/intel_kaby_lake_i77700k_cpu_delid_relid_results
iweb.tms.org/PbF/JOM-0606-67.pdf
guru3d.com/news-story/french-magazing-posts-engineering-sample-amd-ryzen-processor-benchmarks.html
pcgameshardware.de/Kaby-Lake-S-Codename-264845/News/AMD-Ryzen-Intels-Antwort-Core-i7-7740K-i5-7640K-1220177/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

> #3 "Bonuses" to OEM suppliers

Finally, AMD justifies its existance.

AMD hasn't had a profitable quarter in years and Intel is posting record highs, Intel spends over 15 times more on R&D(lets assume at least half on fabs) than AMD does.

It would be an utter and complete embarrassment for Intel to actually lose like this.
But maybe it was inevitable, KabyLake is still a bolted P6 arch core.

Didn't they have mad deals with console manufacturers?

linleygroup.com/mpr/article.php?id=11666

>The quad-core Zen should perform similarly to Intel’s Ivy Bridge CPU, assuming it can reach 3.7GHz.

AYYMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

AYYMDPOORFAGS CONFIRMED ON SUICIDE WATCH

That alone isn't enough money to sustain a big semiconductor company like AMD.

>intel is only now bringing their cpu tier down a bit to counter AMD's growth

> August 29, 2016
Kanter is a smart guy but he's quite wrong about a few things there, no wonder since info on Zen was pretty scarce.

Half a year old article talks about early ES

It's time for a comeback.

google.com/finance?cid=327

they're obviously desperate but a chip with a proper fucking thermal solution that'll run 20 degrees cooler at the same clocks could be appealing to a certain segment that want performance but lack the inclination or competence to delid kaby lake, aka gaymers. it's not nearly enough to save them though.

>bandaid treatment for Zen butthurt
>HT on some i5's
>solder instead of TIM

Lmao Intel that's so desperately cute.

>he thinks AMD can even touch Intel

So deluded

>for 8 years Intel blocked HT on desktop i5
>AMD becomes ever so slightly competitive
>suddenly they enable the HT microcode
rly makes you're neural network fire

Fanboy opinions are irrelevant, go suck on a 31 stage pipeline.

>MOAR GHZ
Literally Netburst

Jayhawk was supposed to have 51 =)

Did no one mention that that's arson to Intel?

This low tdp obsession needs to stop. I wan't power, I do not care about heat or power usage. Below 100W is pathetic, this is a not a smartphone.
People are buying 200W graphic chips but oh no the cpu can't go across 100W that would be disaster house fire if that happened.

Housefires are okay.

I don't understand how Intel have allowed $50-$100 of value to go for just the price of a pack of razor blades, thermal compound, adhesive and half an hour of your time.

Even if it isn't worth your time, it's worth paying someone to do it for you.

Strange.

you don't understand, saving 5 million on 1 million chips is VERY important
nobody cares that million chips made a billion, we saved whole damn 5 millions dollars in the process

accountant bureaucrats logic, someone at intel feels good about this

it's pathetic even for intel, in fact it's so lame that I doubt this rumor is even true. What I think they'll do instead is just release coffee lake a lot sooner than they initially bothered.

Which is Skylake 3.0: second boogaloo.

Their CEO is an idiot so stupid moves are expected

It's only illegal if you get caught.

I love capitalism

So if the i5 7640K has hyper-threading then what it is the point of the i7 line?

I've been looking for a replacement for the trusty 2500K so if AMD actually provide something decent I'll consider switching to them. Knowing AMD they'll find some way to fuck this up sadly.

>Intel has been caught with its pants down.

This was obvious months ago

My bet would be instruction sets.
Some are still likely to be disabled on the i5 line, making them impractical for workstation loads.

>Le service de communication d’Intel cherche désormais à éviter à tout prix l’humiliation que représenterait un Ryzen comparable aux Core i7 6900K (1200€)
>1200€
i might be a slowpoke here, but holy shit the jewing truly knows no end

Cache, VT-d, and disabled features, better bins, power consumption.

>solder instead of TIM
But they literally said they stopped doing that because of cracking, and not because of muh shekels.
I had this argument last night in another thread.
Intel can really go fuck themselves now. No fucking way am I going to get one of their chips ever. Bringing out solder as a fucking upgrade when it was possible all along.

>significantly higher TDP (> 100W against 91W)
>9 fucking watts

The whole delidding fad and latest chips like Kaby being house fire seems to prove certain people right. People were saying Intel has had fab production and quality control issues since broadwell/skylake. I know I'm not the only person here who remembers cpu's without an IHS (AMD) when they moved away from slot 1 and slot A.

I doubt AMD and Intel would ever magically switch market share. Even if that were to happen it would be a linear move. It's also retarded to think that if AMD has the better or equal product that people won't make the switch especially if it's slightly cheaper (even twenty dollars).

Does this mean Ryzen is good?

I didn't follow the news, don't know anything

>you don't understand, saving 5 million on 1 million chips is VERY important
well, it worked for GM

Thing with AMD has never been the cheaper chips (For custom builders now, not OEMs) but motherboards.
A high end AMD motherboard will run you $120. A high end Intel Motherboard can hit $220.

That, and AMD don't change sockets everytime someone in the office sneezes.

>Does this mean Ryzen is good?
It means exactly that otherwise why would Intel shit SKUs right and left.

They're still using solder on the HEDT platform.
And I can assure you their xeons don't come with TIM

>They're still using solder on the HEDT platform.

Wasn't there a paper from Intel that was talking about cracking when solder was used on smaller dies?

I guess the HEDT/Xeons have bigger dies so that's why they still use solder.

eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331317&page_number=2
>AMD said its upcoming Zen x86 core fits into a 10 percent smaller die area than Intel’s currently shipping second-generation 14nm processor
>even Intel engineers in the session said the Zen core is clearly competitive
Zen core smaller than Kaby Lake core despite using less advanced process.
8core Ryzen could be cheaper to produce than Intel's 4core+iGPU i7.
Muh fabs and muh tick tock is dead.

I buy GM cars (credit card gives me a discount) and this is semi correct. GM cheaps out which can cause a failure which cascades into another failure. That's the problem with cheaping out. Problem is they likely already figured it's still cheaper to do this and just replace it all with cheap parts. They are consistent though. Parts are cheap in general. Seems to work I guess. I don't have their spreadsheets.

That's true as AMD doesn't change things around willy nilly like Intel. It all adds up.

>They're still using solder on the HEDT platform.
High end desk-top
eteknix.com/intel-skylake-de-lidded-surprised-us/
TIM
hardocp.com/article/2017/01/19/intel_kaby_lake_i77700k_cpu_delid_relid_results
TIM
What was that about solder?
And Yes. Xeons was addresses in the thread that was linked. Thanks for mentioning it a second time you useless tool.

too much optimism, worrying

and nobody criticizes zen retionally

х700k are not HEDT chips.

See
The linked thread, and exact post has that paper. But because you're lazy I'll paste it here.
iweb.tms.org/PbF/JOM-0606-67.pdf
How about you link the ones you're talking about. Faggot.

The Engineering Sample (ES) we were shown at CES indicates that the 8c/16t @ 3.15ghz compares to a 6900k @ stock/+turbo in blender.

CanardPC, and French tech mag, got their hands on an A0 ES chip, so initial sampling, and a validation motherboard, they ran a number of tests, results and analysis put up by a few sites, I'll only drop one for the sake of this post not being full of links to other sites.

guru3d.com/news-story/french-magazing-posts-engineering-sample-amd-ryzen-processor-benchmarks.html

Zen's major flaw seems to be the lack of PCIe lanes, while this is not a major problem for the consumer market it may give some enterprise customers a moment of pause.

Another thing we learned at CES, TDP.
the 8c/16t @ 3.15ghz read out as 95w max TDP, the 6900k it was being compared against runs out to 140w TDP.

Final clocks for Zen? We don't know. Some sites have been getting samples in at 3.5ghz, but the rumoured final lineup shows chips well below that. So we have to wait and see.

Su confirmed in an earnings call with investors that Ryzen is expected in March. With Day 1 availability. Until this point all we knew was that Zen was slate for a Q1 release, so march still being Q1, Zen is on track.

It's smaller because the FPU is smaller.
Everything else in hardware resource, registers, retire units, decoders etc are competitive.

>100W TDP
is fucking nothing for pc

>Zen's major flaw seems to be the lack of PCIe lanes, while this is not a major problem for the consumer market it may give some enterprise customers a moment of pause.

That's why you got the 2 die 16 core Snowy Owl with double the lanes.
Which I don't think it'll be all that expensive, the 32 Naples one will thought

Intel won't let them fail.

That's dumb
Pretty much everything has vtd now
14nm is mature as fuck now
AMD never had anything worth a $220 mobo
5mm larger with a iGpu still places Intel ahead, friendo

it's almost like designing all your processors at the behest of apple was a bad decision

>That's dumb
No. It's business.

What instruction set?

Jim Keller certified shit wrecker

49mm^2 is just the CPU cores. Skylake 4c+iGPU is 122mm^2
Intel is wasting half the die area on their shitty iGPU

>Su confirmed in an earnings call with investors that Ryzen is expected in March. With Day 1 availability. Until this point all we knew was that Zen was slate for a Q1 release, so march still being Q1, Zen is on track.

Is it not a little unusual to be < a month from launch without announcing the line up or pricing?

>5mm larger with a iGpu still places Intel ahead, friendo

he was implying there is less silicon so they can price it a little lower. not who can make it smaller, pal

No, because official word always comes a day before launch or a few days before launch.

I assume people already know like retailers etc. I used to get the skinny on certain things from sellers before a launch. Athlon was a good example. Guys kept saying the athlon was a game changer. Things like that. They had the xp in house and knew if it was shit or not already.

This. Gotta be one of the dumbest fucking things to whine about with computer hardware.

Depends.
AMD have been keeping lips tight lately. Su runs a tight ship.

Fuck, look at the Fury Lineup, all we knew before launch was it would use HBM. And that's it.
So to have the amount of information we have on Zen I'd say we're quite lucky. ChipHell rumoured some pricing. Someone on the Guru3D forums went through and gathered up all the relevant data they could, this came out.

8core BE 450$ with tax ~ 540$
8core 350$ with tax ~ 420$
6core 250$ with tax ~ 300$
4core 150$ with tax ~ 180$

The prices retrieved from the site were the initial values, but they seemed too low, so he assumed they were without tax, hence the addition of the tax value. Which produces a reasonable price.

cpu's are harder to cool then gpu's. They can't just up the TDP to 150W or huge cpu coolers will be needed as a minimum

So apparently Intel is already training their sellers on how to answer questions about Ryzen.

Intel has 65% margins also, bud

Did a child write this?
These aren't answers at all.

It's a briefer, an intro to a staff training quiz, probably some other module they had to complete first before the quiz was an option.

We use similar e-learning shit where I work.

>the next answer
>If you don't buy Intel, you're an anti-Semite!

>Thunderbolt 3
Only available on 3% of laptops
>Iris/Pro
Only available on 25W+ laptops
Might as well get a dGPU at this point, at least it'll have drivers
>WiGi
Lmao I love watching my mouse lag a second after I move my hand
>Optane
Shit performance, shit capacities, four times the price, only useful for cache drives.

Do better next time, Intel

>proceeds go to the six gorillion
>includes free oral circumcision

>We are not worried
>Honestly

howtojew.doc

They're not, overclockable i3's, pentiums, HT on pentiums and i5's and unannounced SKUs showing up outta nowhere together with dubious 1MB/core L2 Xeons in less than a month isn't a kneejerk reaction at all.

that's the point

This guy will kill Intel.
Meet Intel's Hector Ruiz
While Mama Su will clean house

they also moved skylake/kaby 8cores to august

He's such a gigantic fucking retard with absolute zero common sense.

>rushing their HEDT line

Lel I can already imagine what kind of hilarious bugs we'll get this time.

pcgameshardware.de/Kaby-Lake-S-Codename-264845/News/AMD-Ryzen-Intels-Antwort-Core-i7-7740K-i5-7640K-1220177/
>i7-7740k = Kaby Lake-X
>Socket 2066
>Same die as i7-7700k but iGPU disabled
>112W TDP
>TIM. No solder.
>0.1GHz higher base clock than i7-7700k
>Same 4.5GHz boost clock
>Release at Gamescom 2017 (late August)
it's literally fucking nothing

lets see your cpu design then.

What the fuck is the point!? I at least fucking hope it has a load of cache because if it's just the same shit without GPU then it's absolutely worthless!

He's CEO, not a fucking engineer you dumb moron.

Should i upgrade my i7 4770 soon or should i wait for abit?

More cache + memory channels + PCIe lanes

That can only explain the 2066 pins

>Kaby Lake-X
>not 4.2 base Kaby lake at 125W TDP with IrisPro L4 victim cache for another 15% performance improvement in serial workloads.

Intel is dead to me.

DEAD TO ME.

you're almost implying brian was ever involved in cpu design himself

No. I actually picked up a couple of 4790k's used with a mobo and ram for $250 cash a piece. Haswell's are hard to beat price performance wise. I'd even grab a SB or Ivy i7 used as well.

not if you don't need moar coars/threads

Oh and if you're in the market for laptops look for used ones with a haswell cpu. Thinkpad W541 15: with i7 4810MQ (actual quad not the gay dual cores). Sammy EVO SSD expressport all that for $500 bucks. Think they even have some with 3k screens. Machine is a beast.

Alright cool thanks, where did you get them for 250$ ? Looking to upgrade my mom's workstation PC

Nah not really, i do some premiere / after effects editing but it's fast enough for me, only play some games such as witcher 3 and project cars.

Why do people unironically hate AMD when even if you only buy Intel shit you still win?

>How about you link the ones you're talking about. Faggot.

He is talking about the Extreme line, not the K line.

They are specifically using shit TIM on the K chips to gimp overclocking. They don't want you to overclock your chip, they want you to buy the higher clocked versions.

Got mine locally here and paid cash. Ebay would be a good source and they're likely between that and $400 depending on how retarded the seller is.

>specifically using shit TIM on the K chips to gimp overclocking.
Citation? Like really any form of citation comparing the two. Or even pointing out difrent grades of TIM used.
And showing the swing in temps.

>It would be an utter and complete embarrassment for Intel to actually lose like this.
Intel has been under retarded leadership for years now, the 1% gains and the 14nm mess weren't just kikeing, but actual incompetence from management