Are powerline adapters a meme?

Are powerline adapters a meme?

definitely not. Shit works like cash. I wish the ethernet cables were a little longer but feels no different than a real wired connection.

Yes

Currently using. Occasional (I notice about once a day probably) drops of 15-20 seconds with no connection but otherwise solid throughput and kind of cool.

I don't use the secure mode but beware that if you don't, people can hack ur data by jacking into your power lines

I don't trust the encryption they use. All proprietary.

>hack ur data through powerline poles

how is that done desu?

wireshark or etherape or whatever

Are there any that are gigabit/s or faster?
I've been reading some reviews and it seems that while there are some that advertise speeds of more than 1gb/s, none of them actually get there.

What are your speeds like?

only works well if your house/apartment has decent wiring. if your shit is old and hasn't been rewired in the past decade or so, you're likely to have issues due to signal noise

>I wish the ethernet cables were a little longer
then make them longer, useless.

Fine for internet, although if you use a NAS for backup or something you'll probably want proper gigabit or better.

But they're just electrical cables, the only noise reduction is running it at low frequency

if old/poorly insulated wiring, then stuff like running the vacuum and using the microwave will mess with your signal

I think one of mine is rated at 1.2 Gb/s and one at 1 Gb/s

Between the 2 machines I just tested at 40 Mb/s lol

They're all right. I found a use case where they unfortunately don't work and that's for streaming to the small steam $20 thing. It just has random packet loss that's worse than the AC wifi.

Shit sux

Using one now because my MoCA boxes stopped working.
I should buy new ones.

It's better to run your own ethernet cables if you can. Ethernet over power is mostly for people who can't run their own ethernet lines for whatever reason.

>Are there any that are gigabit/s or faster?
Your power cables probably aren't anywhere close to able to support that. Physics rules.

They're a shitty gimmick. The principle is cool but they are so unreliable its not even worth it

I'm using one right now. Does the job well enough to browse and what not. Only thing is that the link sometimes drops if the data rate keeps alternating between no activity and big spikes. I resolved that by just running a constant ping to my modem's LAN IP.

Shit werks bretty gud.
The only problem now is since we upgraded to I think like 80mbit down,the powerlan Adapter is "throtteling" at about 20,while wired and wireless(when close to wlan router) is more like 76 or so.
But it works faster than the wifi,since the signal doesnt reach every room.

Nope. I have 80mbit up/down internet and I get about 79.8mbit up/down on speed test.