Dumb tech you always wanted to have

Dumb tech you always wanted to have

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10575/intel-announces-knights-mill-a-xeon-phi-for-deep-learning
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Th_ckFbc6bI7&t=5m29s
mobilemag.com/2003/01/17/panasonic-unveils-the-sv-av30-multimedia-box-still-image-camera-video-camera-and-mp3-player/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I always wanted the OQO 2 handheld computer back in 2008 to play WoW at work.

motorola photon q with modern specs

are there any legit phones with keyboards in 2017?

Keyboards are a Meme at this point, go get yourself a modern smartphone

Blackberry Priv if you don't mind burns
Blackberry Passport is you can stand not using Android
Blackberry Mercury if you can wait, should be pretty good

>Blackberry
That ain't a real phone, nigga.

elaborate, the Priv was decent enough when I used it last year

this side flippy thing. still looks pretty cool.

Oh shit i had one of those. Was actually pretty good, though the hinge did get loose and it became all floppy

BlackBerry Q10, BlackBerry Classic, BlackBerry Passport

>stop liking what I don't like

>if you can stand not using Android
You say that like BB10OS is a downgrade.

You are beyond retarded.

That's usually the case with things that flip or slide. I had a friend that went through 4 Palm Pres and just gave up after the last one's slider gave out.

Can't think of a single reason to get one other than the mere fact that I want it so bad.

Keyboard phone are no efficient as today's touchscreen phones

They take up lots of space the phone could have a screen on
And they do not account for when you are typing in a different language

If you feel that way, fine, stick with a touchscreen keyboard. Meanwhile other people prefer real keyboards and will continue to use them.

A "modern smartphone" is a meme, nothing but consumer technology for the illiterate.

Yeah technology for the people who actually want to get shit done in a reasonable amount of time

I personally enjoy BB10OS myself, user, passport was one of best phones I had (still have it actually, although usually carry Axon 7 nowadays). As an OS it's the best current-ish mobile one, but app selection is a genuine issue, and Blackberry's inevitable drop of support just as much.
If one is wanting to use a phone for stuff that doesn't require Android, and they don't mind eventually switching to Android at some point, then Passport is probably the best phone to get right now, despite it's age.
Anyways, I'm getting the Mercury myself when it releases, could be the very last pkb smartphone we see in a while.

Pure shovelware, but damn it's cute

I'd build a small museum around it and offer public accounts

a few months ago I would've told you to stay away from that thing but now with all the free stuff it comes with, def. buy it.

I fucking loved my Passport Silver Edition. If someone could figure out how to port Nougat to it and have webpages and apps format correctly on that square screen I'd re-buy it in a second.

>They take up lots of space the phone could have a screen on
so does a software keyboard, except it also covers up the currently running application too and makes the situation even worse
>And they do not account for when you are typing in a different language
legitimate complaint and I'd probably miss it

Someone smart on this board for once

Looks comfy as fuck.

I want one.

>specs and functionality similar to a budget computer
>ergonomic as fuck as a result of years of research and market competition
>you need a phone anyway if you're a functioning human being

>>>>>meme

hold up

>touchscreen keyboard
>ergonomic

I've never wanted dumb tech because I'm not mentally retarded.

"People" like you deserve to be gassed.

Perhaps it itself isn't dumb, but what IS dumb is that a part of me still wants one even though I have a phone which can do everything it can, with a bigger screen, and infinitely more.

It's really just that my friend had one and it was the coolest shit I had ever seen back then.

I wanted one of these so badly for awhile but my dad always chose Sprint as a carrier

That's...that's beautiful...

buy a phone you old fuck

Windows pda

It was just such a curious little device

just wish I never had to throw anything away

Bullshit.

Straight up bullshit.

Those things are decomposing. something about the plastic.

This. I'd kill for a modern version.

Same size and all.

Rocked a Moto D4 till late last year b/c I can't stand having to look at my ugly thumbs while trying to swype.
I'd pay a kings ransom for a Droid 5
>Modern chipset
>4in screen or more
>Snapdragon
I really thought Moto Z was going to have a keyboard backpack, but they kept making more batteries and speakers instead of anything useful.
I don't understand how phone makers can consider themselves "innovative" when they conform to the same touch brick style phone.
SPICE IT UP!!!
Throw a keyboard my way. Port some vita games. So what if the NGAGE sucked. A new one might not. How about some motion detection?
Built in dick sucker...fuck idk
Point is, most phones nowadays can't be told apart from a distance, and that's a damn shame.

I stopped falling for these kind of meme phones after I got myself a razr. Fucking piece of shit was exactly like any other Motorola.

One of those tiny laptops that were phone sized.

I can't wait the day we don't need screens and we can have those things with floating 25 inch screens above them.

Not like holograms but like actual not transparent screens.
I'm too retarded to explain it.

I had to get rid of my AIX AS400 workstation because it sounded like a harrier landing even down the hall with the door closed. :'(

never got to play with 390

bitches don't know about my qwerty

and that CR and LF are separate for a reason

Xeon Phi

What are the current practical applications for hosts or clusters that utilize Knights Landing, Knights Hill or Knights Mill?

anandtech.com/show/10575/intel-announces-knights-mill-a-xeon-phi-for-deep-learning

that's half the fun with big iron
hope it went to a good home at least and not the recycler

>>functionality similar to a budget computer
>unitasking
>80% of the software base is web front-ends, fart apps and cheap ad-laden money grabs
>other 20% is compromised by fat finger touch interfaces
>software keyboards take up half the screen and make genuinely productive tasks a bore

>b-but it has muh big numbers and lets me carry one less thing in my skinny jeans

I still have a Kin 2! Solid phone besides Microsoft killing it

Deep learning, other scientific computing, and especially linear algebra problems requiring large amounts of GPU RAM.

The Photon Q was nice! Upgrade of Droid 4, only downside was not on Verizon.

I'm still using a Droid 4. If anyone knows of a better sideways Android keyboard phone please enlighten me.

My niece had one. They were pretty shit. They were trendy as fuck at the time but even she admitted it sucked shit as a phone. I had an Env2 and I wish the interior screen hadn't gone out or I'd still have it. It was durable, did everything I needed it to, had a keyboard and the charge lasted a month. The only thing I really do with my smartphone that I couldn't with it is play freemium games which really isn't worth the extra data i have to pay for to use it.

Here, dog:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Th_ckFbc6bI7&t=5m29s

Neural nets are apparently an infinitely flexible mathematical approximation algorithm.

i had one of these and i immediately regretted it
featureless, underpowered, slow, buggy, piece of shit

The 2003 Panasonic SV-AV30. It had a digital camera, camcorder, MP3 player, voice recorder, and video-player. Basically smartphone features 4 years before the smartphone.

mobilemag.com/2003/01/17/panasonic-unveils-the-sv-av30-multimedia-box-still-image-camera-video-camera-and-mp3-player/

In hindsight i'm kind of glad i didn't waste money on it.

SGI POWER Indigo2
Marketing claimed the R8000 CPU was supercomputer-class in FP work and could match a Cray Y-MP with the right code, but their integer performance was fucking dogshit, they were very sensitive to the kind of code you ran on them and the compilers you built it with and they sold terribly outside of the few mostly scientific use cases where they shined. All that aside, it was still a seriously bitchin' system that could run up to 768MB of RAM and tear through untextured 3D graphics while a PC with 16 MB of RAM and a shitty 2D Windows accelerator was still considered "high end".

IRIX is also pretty much one of the best Unix flavors for desktop use, the audio capabilities on these systems are surprisingly decent (to me) and it's a worthy display piece on its own if nothing else.

Some day I'll have the disposable income for one, I guess.

I'd advise against it. They sound like shit and don't last nearly as long as Apple says they should.

I've been meaning to get one for years, just landed a new job and I think I'll treat myself to one

Photon Q. It's basically Droid 4 with proper display.