Music Player Thread

What is the best music player and why is it Guayadeque?

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/yq9RSaU.png
github.com/EdSchouten/herrie
github.com/Alexey-Yakovenko/deadbeef
pkgbuild.com/~jelle/ncmpcpp/
mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Playlists
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=116113
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Glorious KDE Master Race

jesus you are really shilling this shit aren't you

just use audacious. it's like foobar for linux.

fb2k is shit though. I already fell for that meme.

Yeah, KDE really is the most advanced DE right now. It could use a little love in the area of multiple monitor virtual desktop support though (something like what mac has where you can have separate desktops per monitor. no, running separate xorg instances doesn't count)

I normally use Gnome3 for casual purposes and KDE for personal projects. How about you?

Foobar2000 is the best!
Most configurable player I've used.

Guayadeque looks intriguing though. I'll try it out.

mpsyt when listening to normie music, ncmpcpp when listening to my autismo shit

Xfce on laptop. KDE on desktop. Waiting for KDE 5.9

I'll admit that fb2k is more configurable given that it has plugin support. However, I just found it to be too simple for my needs. I know my library size is pretty small in those screenshots, but when I first started using it awhile back I had a library that was too large to easily manage. Guayadeque helped me fix the metadata (especially album artist and genre) on my music and filter it based on a number of different criteria simultaneously. If Spotify or Google Play Music let me create dynamic playlists with this much control I would use them (I was using them for awhile, hence why my library is tiny now). I just can't handle simplistic UIs for managing something as complex as a music collection.

The core fb2k is very simple. I wouldn't use it without plugins.
My setup looks very close to Gayadeque, but it requires some plugins and config. Faces is one of the plugins I use and my setup looks something like this.
i.imgur.com/yq9RSaU.png

You can do almost anythin with foobar2k but it requires some serious tweaking and several plugins.
But i cna be tedious to configure everything so there are several things avout my stup I'm not happy with.
But there are also things in my setup which I've not seen any other player allows me to configure. And that has kept me from switching.

I'd love to have something that just work's out of the box sometimes.

So I'll give Guayadeque a try for my linux box.

It just werks

Foobar.

dude just B urself

>Guayadeque helped me fix the metadata (especially album artist and genre) on my music and filter it based on a number of different criteria simultaneously
You can easily do this with foobar

master race

Yes, we need atleast one of that person.

I had a friend that didn't wanted to use Spotify on Macbook because the application is black.

I've been using this foobar setup for three years now. So slick.

Cantata is where it's at. No contest.

First time I've heard of it. How is it compared to other fully featured GUI-based Linux music players? I'm currently using Clementine myself.

I don't think so tim

That's not Musicbee. Shit helped me get 50GBs of a clusterfuck music library organized. With that done, I just use Rhythmbox on Fedora because it just works and the Soundcloud option is pretty decent.

musicbee too based

shit ton of more features than foobar, looks better, tons of config options, easier to config.

Why are you posting these on random threads?

Is that a concept? If it's a theme, what is it? Looks like a UWP app.

Foobar

It's one of the MusicBee Windows theme dark red skin, it already comes with the program

It's probably one of the skins included with MusicBee

WTF? I lov GNU/Linux now.

Everything on Linux is so bad in comparison to foobar.

Spoke too soon.

> Supported File Types
>mp3, ogg, oga, flac, m4a, m4b ,mp4, m4p, aac, ape, aif, mpc, wv, tta, wav, wma

Does it seriously not support .opus? In the year 2017?

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

botnet

GNU/Linux*

That's a funny way of spelling Musicbee

>tfw fb2k is too simple for my needs

>having to install a bunch of random plugins to obtain basic music player functionality

That's a legitimate reason. Desktop applications that don't obey desktop themes should be dragged out back and shot

That UI looks awful for building playlists which get more complicated than choosing a particular artist or album.

Can you share it?

Except that's wrong. No matter how many addons you install, fb2k will always be an ugly piece of shit.

Option A: Music player with all the functionality I want out of the box that does a good job of utilizing my desktop theme.

Option B: A nearly featureless music player where I have to experiment with an endless array of plugins to kind of get things the way I want and it completely ignores my desktop theme. No matter how I customize thhe appearance, it will always look like it came from the 90's

Everything else is useless

So how would you use that to build a playlist that which consists of only "Chill" music created after 1990, minus one or two artists, and then filtered to only songs I have personally rated 4 or 5 stars?

>Ugly piece of shit.
Says the GNU/Linux user? What the hell rofl.

>Foobar
>featureless
top kek you make me laugh retard

>sorting your music by artist instead of album artist
u wat m8?

>featureless
Name all the useful features it has out of the box without plugins installed.

>says the GNU/Linux user
See the OP pic? Notice how the application looks beautiful and nicely utilizes the KDE desktop theme? Now fuck off retard.

The fact it is so customizable is one of its best features. None other player allows for such deep customization and option to make the program do exactly what you want.

No idea why you are so upset about it tho. I tried Guagemole for day and it was really bad, in fact there's not 1 GNU/Linux music player that does everything my Windows foobar installation did. I even stopped listening to music locally and just streaming shit because the players were all so rigid, unsupported, dead, abandoned, or locked to creator's vision.

Just my two cents.

Here's another player - Deadbeaf.

It sucks. Not Clementine is awesome.

Please refer to:

>stopped listening to music locally and just streaming
I did this too for awhile, but eventually (about 3 days ago) I went back to Guayadeque. The reason why is because services like Spotify and Google Play Music simply do not have an advanced enough UI for dynamic playlist generation. You can either have them scrobble for you, or you can painstakingly select everything by hand. Neither of those is an acceptable option. The end result was that I ended up just listening to full albums all the time, which is not my preferred listening style most of the time.

Even when I find the occasional rare ocurrence where someone has made fb2k appeare to be somewhat functional, it still looks bad. see While I can acknowledge that looks aren't really important, I wiill pick the more aesthetic application if it lets me do everything I want to do.

>Deadbeaf
>Last update nearly year ago

wev

mpd + ncmpcpp

What are you trying to say?

The best is Herrie:

github.com/EdSchouten/herrie

Does it support sorting by "Album Artist" and can you generate dynamic playlists in a fashion similar to either of these pictures

You should add a screenshot to your README

I'm super austistic with the way I sort and listen to my music collection.

Been using WMP 11 for ages (even on Windows 10). Been looking for a better media player. I like MusicBee a lot, but is there any way to force a specific image size for the album art on the now playing screen?

Alternatively, I know Foobar2k is basically the best in regards to functionality, and that you can do just about anything with it. I just hate how it looks. Is there a skin that groups albums together with album art? And, like WMP and MusicBee, have a "now playing" screen with specified size for album art?

configurable doesn't imply good and good doesn't imply configurable.

these are NEET """poweruser""" memes.

what do you mean? it's pretty easy you just right click on an album or artist and add a song to the playlist. I chose an album art viewer but you can change it anything else like for example on one on the right

I don't use that filter so i haven't looked into it. mpd is just the daemon while ncmpcpp is the frontend of which there are many other candidates which you can find on either archwiki or installgentoo.wiki.

You can even use mpd to stream to external sources (such as your phone or laptop). that is why i find mpd to be the superior "music player"

>other candidates which you can find on either archwiki or installgentoo.wiki.
You forgot to tell the gentleman you are replying that nearly all of the frontends for mpd are dead/abandonware and you are left with 1-2 choices

Which i understand completely. ncmpcpp has everything. Sorting by album artist isn't default but it's possible.

mpd+ncmpcpp

YouTube

Seriously. There's nothing wrong with it and the project isn't abandoned.
github.com/Alexey-Yakovenko/deadbeef

Again, it looks terrible for doing anything other than selecting individual artists or albums. Do you see and Notice how in both of those screenshots the user is able to build a complex playlist quickly and easily by specifying multiple other parameters other than just artist or album?

I've used MPD for streaming before and it's fucking useless. I would rather just set up a subsonic server or carry around all my music on my phone. There isn't a single MPD client for a mobile device I'm aware of which can cache songs for offline playback. And last time I checked, it only supported streaming over shitty protocols like HTTP.

>"Chill" music created after 1990
Make a playlist - ncmpcpp has search filters
>minus one or two artists
Make a playlist - ncmpcpp has search filters
>and then filtered to only songs I have personally rated 4 or 5 stars?
Don't be a faggot

>ncmpcpp has everything
Can it do the things that were asked in Specifically:
>can you generate dynamic playlists in a fashion similar to either of these pictures

>Make a playlist
That's literally what I was doing in that screenshot. Also, regular playlists are static and would need to be updated every time I add new music to my collection. Dynamic playlists always stay up to date with my music collection based on the criteria I have set.

So what you are saying is that it only provides the most simplistic playlist generation possible and sucks for anyone with a large music library. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I just dump every song I want to hear in the queue, save that queue as a playlist, then clear the queue and add a different playlist I want to hear. It's minimal and it servers my needs, while also looking good too.

by all means, enjoy your resource hogging media player

just leaving this here for educational purposes
pkgbuild.com/~jelle/ncmpcpp/

gmusicbrowser

Awesome for big collections and basically supports arbitrary layouts.

Yes, but the process for selecting every song I want to listen to with that UI is the part I am complaining about. It simply sucks at that for anyone with a large music library who wants to listen to do something more complex than play a particular genre/album/artist.

Also, i manage just fine w/o those autistic filters.

Best music player.

Does it support album artist? Sorting by artist is pleb tier.

>resource hogging
I have an ancient 2.4GHz desktop with 4GB DDR2 RAM. I have literally never had a problem with resource consumption.

Well I am very happy for you that you manage to get by with such simplistic tools, that doesn't mean that it is not advantagous to have more powerful tools. What do you want? A gold star?

>marketplace
>social
>phone

mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Playlists
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=116113
My tags are fucking dogshit, I should fix that.

I select by album, and I know which album(s) I want to listen to. It's not complicated, and you should know what albums/artists/genres you have on your pc. And if you hear songs off an album you don't want to listen to, just remove them off the queue and overwrite your playlist.

>Does it support album artist? Sorting by artist is pleb tier.

Its the same fuckin' thing ya dumb knob.

All of them dead by now

You DO know it has a file browser and tag editor too, right?

No one but you uses filters like that, dude

>Does it support album artist? Sorting by artist is pleb tier.
Are you tech illiterate? Who would ask a question like this.

Okay so you have extremely simplistic musical preferences then. That doesn't mean the music player you are using doesn't suck for people who don't have extremely simplistic preferences for how they go about listening to music. I don't want to simply listen to an album most of the time. You are either literally retarded or trolling at this point. I am going to disengage.

No it isn't you fucking retard. Artist sometimes contains contributing artists as well. Meaning that within a non-compilation non-soundtrack single album, you can have multiple artists. With album artist, every track on the album has the same value. Sure you can edit your songs to force the artist field to act as the album artist field, but that is literal retard tier.

You can add any number of the tabs in the picture to any filter.

It isn't

Do you know what id3 tags are
why are you even asking "does it support album artist"

no wonder Foobar2000 was too much of a pgoram for you, lol.

are you musically illiterate? sorting by artist and sorting by album artist are very different and only a retard would prefer artist over album artist.

Everyone has different use cases, therefore use the player that best suits your needs. I can praise ncmpcpp all day long, but in the end, it depends on whether or not it suits the end users needs.

Yeah you are tech illiterate, no wonder you shill for a simplistic program like Guagamole then. The irony of your cognitive dissonance just made my day. Like from a Pynchon novel.

If you had ever tried even a handful of different music players you would see that most do not let you pick and choose between all the available tags to display. Many of them only allow you to display a subset of them. Many music players will force the users to sort their music collection by the "artist" tag and not the "album artist" tag. Are you brain damaged?

>not using beets to tag your music collection

are you talking about choosing albums/songs by genre or something? I'm pretty sure there are options for that in musicbee if you ever used the program. There is also an auto-dj mode to select songs similiar to eachother