Has anyone actually installed gentoo?

Has anyone actually installed gentoo?

no, it's a meme like SSD's

I literally tried it once. I soon realized it's basically "Linux from Scratch" with minorly fewer steps. Good thing I knew about Debian linux before because I fear some people literally fall into the meme.

Arch is no much different, only slightly faster, doesn't compile.

Practically "too lazy to make a distro, the users make it, see how much freedum I spread?"

Might as well do LFS Linux if you are that bored.

Tried in a VM. Compiled leafpad for hours.

Yes. A few times actually. I liked it, but I would set up a build server the next time I did it.

If you life has no meaning and your time has no value, by all means sit for a week compiling Gentoo.

No. The whole Gentoo site is an elaborate joke.

I installed it through Ubuntu.
It's by far the best distro.

me, me, me
can I join Sup Forums now?

Nah, but apparently I am (or was) a crystal child so of course I could easily if I put the time into it, but that's time that could be spent on better things.

Yes. It's by far my favorite distro and I actively use it on my home server, desktop, and laptop.

i am finishing up an install right now. anyone who says it takes weeks or days to install is illiterate

Of course. It's literally one of the most widely used distros after Debian, *buntu, Fedora, and Suse.

Actual install went well. Getting the luks lvm boot working was almost easy. The post-install tweaking, on and off, took several days.

Portage is simply the best package manager around.

I only use it on my desktop as compiling takes some time but I do like how I can use libressl and avoid systemd at the same time has having a system with security patches that's managed for me.

Yes
Wrong

installing gentoo right this second

yes, on multiple machines

it's incredibly easy. The only difficulty is configuring the kernel, which can be a bit tricky if you don't know what options to select for your hardware

>be like 17, early 2010
>want to get into loonix
>ask Sup Forums which distro to install
>everyone tells me to install gentoo
>download the iso and burn it to a dvd
>boot it up have no idea what to do
>install kubuntu

install gentoo

Yes.

kek

>everyone tells me to install gentoo and kek
fuck off

>arch doesn't compile.

I gave up trying to install it on a VM.

manu times, it' seasy dytoa o'

You could have used genkernel

i tried to
but it couldn't generate an initramfs that actually worked for my configuration so i made my own really shitty one

I did. I uninstalled it when it wanted me to update via tarball.

Gentoo is great to learn Linux but is way too old with security patches which is unfortunate.
But SSDs are a meme still +1 for that

Does it?

>I literally

So?

Gentoo is great for learning about Linux. Anyone can install Ubuntu, but you have to have a lot more understanding to install Gentoo.

Having said that, I would still favor Ubuntu for a server deploy.

nah dude you have to write a script full of autism to even install it then compile EVERYTHING

>not using debian

>Debian
>Not Arch