Help me decide, Sup Forums

Help me decide, Sup Forums.

T420, T430 or a X220?

I like x220.

x220 has a small screen
Do you want a tiny laptop?

If not go t420 or 430

It that the only one with an ips screen?

Don't know.

It's a thinkpad you can always replace the screen.

>not the x200
>smug_anime_girl.jpg

>x200
>portable enough to take everywhere
>large enough to use at home as your main machine

I love this thing.
I'm gonna have a hard time adjusting to any other laptop because I can't find any other 12.1" laptop where the keyboard sits flush with the case edges.

Which X do I get?

X200, X201, X220 are foolproof, the latter will have newer hardware so you may want that.
But I've never had problems with my c2d X200 after I installed an SSD.

Just be aware that the larger thinkpad T series are easier to repair on account of device size.

The X series took some liberties to reduce it's footprint, you have to completely disassemble the laptop if you want to get to the fan heatpipe assembly under the motherboard for whatever reason.

I'm terrible with those things. Maybe I should get a T then. I can't decide. X230 has a 3rd gen processor but a keyboard that I dislike.

If you want a good screen: T/W 520/530

CPU is kinda inconsequential in this day and age where a c2d doesn't feel any slower than a modern i5.

If you dislike the keyboard, there's no getting around it.
Don't believe those anons who claim you can just flash the bios and install an old model keyboard, some of the keys don't work.

x230 with IPS screen

This. I have a X200 with a c2d and a modern i3 laptop, I only miss a faster processor when I am running CAD software in a VM.

Cheap Thinkpad with SSD and no fan?

I don't understand why you don't post here. It's the best Sup Forums general. The board as a whole is almost a pleb filter for tpg.

x220 w/ IPS if you plan on using it full time or close to it.

T420 if you have external monitors you'll be using. The stock T420 panel is just so fucking bad. Same with the TN panel on the x220.

So, quick advice: T420 has a great keyboard. T430 has USB 3.0 ports. You'll need to do backups. Respect yourself.

x250 if you aren't poor. I just sold mine for $500 so there are definitely deals out there.

1080 IPS
256 SSD
8GB
i5

This. Bought one a year ago for 700. Great machine. 20 hours of use on one battery charge. Keyboard is fine once you get used to it. Get a model with an ips FHD screen.

I like my t420 but I am stoked to move to my new apt and finally get my desktop back

its the x220t with ips, there is not much of a difference in price but saves you some work replacing the screen

x60 is best laptop ever

>too low
>too small
>I can buy this for 70$
>>they don't bother to tell the architecture and the etch

>if you're not poor

shitpost

x230/t430 desu

T420 is for a reason the memest thinkpad of them all. Sandy bridge processing power combined with USB 3.0 and 802.11N among other modern things makes it easily useable even today if you equip it with an SSD. Mine came with the factory Micron SSD and it was fine.

2012 MBP

2013 13" MBPr

Help me, which one is a better deal, X220 with i7-2620M, 4gb, 128gb ssd or X230 with I5 3210M, 4gb, 500gb hdd. The battery is much better on the X220. Also the x220 is in a pretty good condition, not sure about the other. Both are 150€

x220 is the cutest. no homo, it's just so fucking cute - really small, but with "serious" design at the same time. It feels like one of those nano usb pendrives felt when they were hot shit.

Also, with small form factor comes portability, and with 9-cell it lasts over ten hours if you don't do much CPU-heavy things.

x220 keyboard is subjectively better. Both keyboards are amazing, but x220 is just flawless in every way, i fail to imagine how can one do better in notebook keyboard department. But x220 with i7 heats up to dangerous levels on heavy tasks, so that's kinda bad.

I'd get x220 because SSD and keyboard.

Where to buy in europe?

Thank you, user.

just get a precision 7510 and you're set for like the next 15 years. even with nvidia and the lower end i5 on board, these things are fast, tough as fuck, and have great battery life under gnu/linux and windows.

I have this wp somewhere.

Take a trip to a free country and buy it there, trip will pay itself with the 30% EUtaxesTM you evaded.

What's the IPS screen model for T430? Does it require something more than it would when changing from stock TN panel to a spare TN panel?

Haven't heard about i7 heating problems, can you do something about it?

T430 for USB3. The keyboard on newer thinkpads is still pretty damn good compared to the alternatives
t. x220 and T460p owner

X220 or wait for Retro in October.

Are all i7 X220's with an IPS?

i wouldn't count on it, IPS was "premium" option - but replacing display is piss easy, and it's not expensive at all. Actually, everything about x220 is designed to be taken apart without any problems.

T60/1p frankenpad. All the benefits (IPS/keyboard/durability) of the T60, with the guts of the 61p.

X260

>Take a trip to a free country
My country is free.

Where am I supposed to buy a thinkpad?

It's just a meme, no one actually owns one.

I can't find any ips display for cheap, you ogt a link?

on ebay

"Let me double what I'm gonna spend on a computer that doesn't even do things like stay on for a decent amount of time unplugged."

Get a yoga model

These are at best one step removed from NEETs, user. They can't have nice things.

>flawless in every way
non-backlit keyboard

Love my X230 w IPS display. Has USB3 over the X220 and a better CPU (Sandy vs Ivy).

Ppl on Sup Forums get all autistic about the chiclet keyboard but honestly it isn't that bad. Worst part is 6 rows of keys instead of 7.

>My country is free.
>Europe

HA

Thinklight > backlit kb.

>My country is free.
>USA
HAHA

>american
>thinks he's free
Stop being delusional.

t430 and replace its keyboard with t420 one

>hurr durr there ar only mericuns and eurotrashians in the world
HAHA, who's delusional?

Australia doesn't count.

I'd get an X230, it's pretty easy to swap the keyboard for an x220 one. I actually did it myself with no issues. Just follow one of the tutorials

I use an X220 and I like it quite a bit. Choosing between T and X is completely dependent on what you're looking for in a laptop, but I like the X220 because of its small and light form factor, which is perfect for me since I mainly use it in class and for reading documents. It fits into my backpack easily without adding much weight at all.

If you plan to watch a lot of videos on it, need more powerful specs, or won't be carrying it around much, then a T could be better.

Get a newer model if you can afford it
Otherwise T430

can you swap the keyboard out? is the trackpoint shit on this one?

>t520/t530
>good screen
pick one

I bought my x230 with x220 keyboard..
the guy didnt know that the keyboard was swapped... I payed less for more

x230 dont get memed into the x220.

None. Get a modern laptop that's not 2 kg.

>help me decide amongst these $150 laptops
>just get this $1500 laptop instead

>looking at the keyboard

>T420, T430 or a X220?
All Shitpads are NEET shitposting machines. They're useless for anything work-related today. Get a real laptop, kiddo.

Google 51nb x210

I work in a factory environment and everyone who actually performs work with their computer uses a Thinkpad

They're a million times better than the t420/30 though

>factory
you should be using a calculator or an abacus. you don't need a computer. and Chinkpads are shit machines. They're useless for software development today.

OK bub I'm sure that you do "real work" for a "real company." It seems like you really know what you're talking about

It's very complicated to change the screen on a T430. The easiest option is a 1600x900(?) TN panel; swaps right in. But 1080 is out of the question.

I have a T430 and just bought an X220t IPS. Can't wait til it arrives.

what you need in factories are simple rugged machines. Toshiba makes a bunch. using Chinkpads in factories is silly since they're incredibly fragile.

and is OP really gonna use one of these dinosaurs in a factory setting????

I have X220t IPS. It's shit.

why is that?

screen overrated, hinge feels unsecured, heavy

bro I bench like 150 so an x220 isn't too much weight

Then why are you getting the x series?

>large enough to use at home as your main machine
>12"

LMAO not unless you're an ant

Not all, such as the t420. You'll need some kind of convert board that only someone in China made it to install an ips panel. I've searched this up for ages when I was using my t420s

Oh that bitch gonna get a face full of fist if she don't quit shit-talking the T410. It's god-tier.

Mid-2012 Macbook Pro 13". No joke.

It's the thinkpad of macbooks.

>thick, with good battery life
>can upgrade ram, hdd
>can install second hdd
>usb 3.0
>ethernet
>nicer screen than T420/430, better viewing angles (lower resolution though)
>good backlit keyboard
>amazing trackpad
>can run Windows natively (and Linux if that's your thing)
>magsafe >> any other power connector
>in production until late 2016, can get a recent unit with good battery
>can feel smug among thinkpad users

Cons wrt thinkpads?
>keyboard isn't as good, several useful keys missing (pgup/dn, home/end, del)
>no trackpoint, but the trackpad is legit very good
>not liquid resistant, probably not as drop resistant
>probably more expensive, but they hold their value better as well

I wouldn't consider the Retina models, the upgradeability and repairability is poor. I also wouldn't consider anything with discrete graphics, because there have been problems with those in the past.

That's an $800 computer.

Just get an i7 x220 IPS or if you cant an i5 IPS x220 and get an expresscard USB 3.0 slot if you need it

or get an X230 and do a keyboard swap if you dont like the keyboard

Nah, mine was 500 €urobux. About two years old, in mint condition.

Where to buy an IPS replacement? Amazon?

2010-2012 are great values and run Sierra.

You were lucky. I can't find a 2012 model for less than 700€ in my ass backwards country.