University

Is going to University for Computer Science a meme or not? What's your opinion, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=azkFz1ZbXyU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good luck competing with literally a billion pajeets.

Don't fall for the STEM meme, get a degree in either business, accountancy or law.

Otherwise, enjoy being underpaid/unemployed.

CS isn't a meme
If it's actually your advocation, go for it

Yes and memes are heavily enforced by memers because otherwise they'd have to prove their worth in a real, tested and challenging manner.

Tried Accountancy... made me want to kill myself.

The "CS is a meme degree" meme is perpetuated by engineers without jobs and young kids who want to major in CS but want to see somebody defend it first, because some jobless neet engineer told them not to. Expect to have long work weeks 40+ hours but 65k starting right off a bachelors degree is pretty nice.

>inb4 haha im math major 300k starting

Yeah good luck getting one of the 10 jobs available in the US

Obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=azkFz1ZbXyU

Should I specialize my degree? I've been looking at networking or artificial intelligence.

Go for operations research, that's where the money's at.

Thanks, Senpai.

monty python will always make me laugh.

It's not a meme unless the only things you do is working for your diploma. You HAVE TO do side-projects/self-learn other technologies or you'll be out of the loop and stay a code monkey all your life.
Same goes for any field, stay average and you'll end up landing a shitty job at best.

I'm employed in the CS field and majoring in CS is truly NOT a wise thing to do. There's a crazy amount of competition, both from CS kids graduating here and from overseas.
I have asked so many times these CS kids why they chose CS major. They almost always say "I play games, so I want to make games someday", or "it pays well", or even "I don't know". Literally an insult to everyone serious about the CS field. They don't give two fucks about CS, they just like to play video games or want "easy" money. These are the kind of "people" that are flooding the CS field, and it's what you're seen as. People in CS are literally dispensable, no more than livestock.
The other is overseas. I don't know where you're employed but the company I work at has at least 40% Indians in SW. They're cheaper labor. What this means is it'll be harder and harder for you to be employed because of even more competition, AND you're going to get paid less and less.
It's true that you'll probably get employed somewhere (eventually) after you graduate no matter how shitty you are. However, think about the future. Is there a future for you? No. The older you get, the more you get paid for experience that ages like milk. Technology changes so quickly. Why should a company pay you more than younger grads that actually already know the latest technology? You'll get laid off when you're 40s, with no prospects of finding another job.
I've been laid off twice, both times NOT because of my fault. My bosses have said I've been doing a great job, etc. And it was not only me either, it was a mass layoff for "surplus changes". You are LITERALLY dispensable.

Lol there are pretty much no unemployed CS majors in the US. Maybe if someone had a sub 3.0 gpa and no internships in college they couldnt find a job, but in that case they should kill themselves

you dont need a degree for networking just do CISCO and you will be hired as a network engineer.
well if your in the US Cisco is probably a lot cheaper than college and more valued in the networking industry

This is the truth. You can't get comfy in technology. Stay comfy and you'll be up to your neck in pajeets before you know it.

This pajeet shit is real only in the US. If you live in a first-world country there is nothing to fear

People that think "I'll graduate from CS then I'll live an easy life with high salary" will be extremely mistaken. Those that don't constantly learn about CS (and keep their skills sharpen) or the new technologies will be ruthlessly replaced. I believe only those that truly have a passion in CS should get a CS degree. I'm talking about having real programming projects and programming as a hobby. Not talking about your half-assed programming project, or your "on-hold" game dev game.

It was for me. Been graduated for 9 months and still don't have a job.

In college, you'll get some assignments that make you learn stuff, but the assignments come at such a slow pace that if you don't do personal projects/study outside of class/get an internship, you're not gonna come out very learned in terms of developing software.

> follow your dreams

Try medicine or law. Make your parents proud.