SSDs and torrenting + modern PC usage

Buy an SSD Sup Forums said...

Well, I did and now 9 months after, I checked my SMART and SSD stats and it's fucking unbelievable. I'm at 25% of the theoretical MTBF for my drive. Basically, by the end of this year, I'll be around 50-60% and then it's a gamble when my SSD will die and I'll lose everything unless I back up on time.

Biggest culprit seems to be:

1) torrenting apps (they absolutely trash the disk since they do millions of small 16KB writes.

2) Spotify - total garbage app that writes hundreds of gigs of data per day (sometimes over 700GB/day: bgr.com/2016/11/13/spotify-has-been-quietly-killing-your-ssds-life-for-months/ ).

3) Chrome/Firefox - both are horrible and write gigs of junk per hour. They've been fixing this issue so this won't be as bad in the future (or already).

End result is that your overly-optimistic "4-5 year" SSD life will be halved.

Are there any fixes? Anyone know of any Torrent clients that are optimized for SSD usage since torrenting is the biggest culprit, by far?

Other urls found in this thread:

servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/
samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/whitepaper/whitepaper.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

torrent to a different drive you shit head

Spinning rust drives are even worse and die even faster from torrent client abuse, you dumbfuck.

How many average writes per block?

Except that's wrong, shit for brains. Kill yourself.

not an argument.

feel free to prove me wrong with FACTS. link some studies and don't engage in pre-school "arguing though insults."

Conventional drives in raid 1, 6 or 10. if you use software raid make sure to leave 200mb or so partitioned on each drive to compensate for the typical size differences between hard drive brands, if you use hardware raid make sure you use the same controller if you migrate to a new system.

SSDLife program can tell you estimated life of SSD.

Torrent to a ram disk.

unless they only torrent one thing at a time or have an insane amount of ram, that is just going to get written to swap, defeating the point.

Definitely doesn't work. You have to sync. And what happens when you have a crash?

Feel free to tell me the main cause of SSD degradation to prove you actually know anything on this subject at all.

this. i'm hardly tech literate and even i know this. ssds aren't for constant writing. unless you don't mind buying them often.

>SSD Drive
Nice RAS Syndrome

>Spinning rust drives are even worse and die even faster from torrent client abuse, you dumbfuck.

What the hell? I've seen a lot of stupid shit on Sup Forums but this takes the cake. Everyone knows that SSDs can't handle lots of writing.

Who knows for sure if Chrome already fixed the SSD wearing issue?

dunno about chrome but my drive is fine after years of using firefox.

>Who knows for sure if Chrome already fixed the SSD wearing issue?
it hasn't as of now.

>fine after years of using firefox
kek'd. FF is a killer of SSDs.

servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

BEWARE of the "fix" they propose at the end of the article... you'll lose your data if you set that setting!!! Wait for the fix instead.

>FF is a killer of SSDs.
Why isnt my SSD dead yet then?

The only thing you can do is spread write-intensive programs on two or three different SSDs.
I also fell for the "le it will last longer than you xD" reddit meme. I probably write close to if not more than 200gb a day and all I do is browse the internet, watch youtube videos and play a game here and there. Chrome writes like crazy and streaming videos obviously writes a lot of data too depending on stream quality.

how old is it? it has def reduced its lifetime.

anyway, that's a ridiculous argument. you're either denying that SSDs have limited lifetimes or you're denying that FF has serious sync issues and writes gigs of data per hour. both of these can be easily confirmed which completely nulifies your argument.

>how old is it? it has def reduced its lifetime.
i posted it here u tard: >you're either denying that SSDs have limited lifetimes or you're denying that FF has serious sync issues and writes gigs of data per hour
no, im denying FF having a huge impact on MY drive's life

I'm sure glad I never fell for the SSD meme.

that app cannot be fully trusted. SSDs often die with SMART at 100%.

samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/whitepaper/whitepaper.html

your life is a meme

what should i use then?

>I'm sure glad I never fell for the SSD meme.
what HDD do you have? I bet it fails sooner than SSDs.

that whitepaper says to use wear leveling count to figure out how many write cycles are left, or read calculated variables such as SSD Life Left/ Percentage of the Rated Lifetime Used.

you're a moron for torrenting from your SSD

too much work. i've already gotten almost 5 years use out of this so i'm fine.

what should I be using? please do tell me. holographic storage device?

An HDD, you dingus.

7200rpm HDD. Never had a drive fail on me ever, even after using them heavily for 6 years straight. Shit, my old PC ran from 2004 till 2014 before I replaced it, and the drive was still chugging along.

If youre on Win7 and it doesn't detect your SSD correctly it can fuck it with automatic defrags/cleanups

>an

MTBF of spinning rust disks is ridiculously smaller than that of SSDs. And a small bump into the side of your PC and the disk is ruined.

you are truly a fucking idiot. I mean, you have like a lot of other clueless idiots spouting the "ssds are a meme" meme but it's actually somebody that actually believes it has evidence just because it's an ignorant nigger and comes here and makes a fucking thread about it's what takes the cake.
Get in your mom's boyfriend garage and turn the keys to the minivan on and just end this. End it, there is no peace for you in this world.

>If youre on Win7
win7 is literally outdated at this point. no one should be using it with modern equipment.

Are you an idiot or do you say "Hard Disk Drive" every time you see HDD?

>7200rpm HDD

Model number?

Just end yourself, familia

They will never increase SSD maximum writes because that would mean your SSD lasts longer thus decreasing their sales in the long run. Your electronics *need* to break in a few years so they can make more money off you.

Go spread your misinformation on Sup Forums or something.
No one here is buying it.

Just get a 3D NAND SSD like me and set OP to 35%

Brute-force ftw

doesnt matter, you can say a HDD aswell

No shit but people still use it

>still gets security updates
>still get hardware support by AMD
>outdated

They're doing a pretty bad job of it if that was their intention.
Even in cases of sheer stupidity like OPs it would still take 2 or more years to break which is better than consumer HDDs often turn out to be, but in standard use, the medium and larger capacity drives can easily last over 10 years.

>Go spread your misinformation on Sup Forums or something.
>No one here is buying it.
SSD MTBFs is NOWHERE even close, retard!

>AMD is wrong and a child company

Okay, so? You've got 2 choices with consumer data storage.
Something that predictably but suddenly fails based on how much data is written to it
Or somehting that randomly but slowly fails based on time it's powered on.
If you choose the first one for something with a high write load that's on you, that doesn't make it wrong for other people to use somehting that is cheaper per GB and on average more tolerant to that kind of work load.
Your priorities are just weird.

Post stats or GTFO.

I think its just another shitty troll thread, but whatever.

>shitty troll thread
which part is wrong? which part is trolling? have you even read the rest of the thread for citations and pics?

retard

Im pretty sure you have ShadowGaymPlay enabmed on ur SSD, probably why it dies so fast

Torrent with different software. You can configure many clients to write full blocks rather than tons of 16k chunks

>butthurt
the post

Not him but which torrent clients are SSD-friendly? I don't think any of them are. uTorrent is probably really bad and any based on libtorrent is probably mildly better but still horrible.

none of that is hitting the NAND until a flush

>SSDs can last 10+ years of constant 24/7 writing they said

No one said that. But they last longer than HDDs for sure.

If you use youtube-dl plus mpv to watch videos, is there a cache somewhere on your disk?

>none of that is hitting the NAND until a flush
could you or someone else explain to me what TRIM does? I read wikipedia but it's over my head.

is this free? the website tells me to order

CAN CONFIRM

I think it does but I could be wrong. I believe it creates a temp file.

if you think about it, how else would it combine vid+audio tracks and pass the file pointer to mpv...

trial version

OP why are you torrenting on an SSD? Put your OS on a 100gig SSD and store files on a HDD.

Which begs the question, why are you using Spotify if you torrent?

(1)
>computer to sdd: write X to somewhere in Z
>hdd: I copy the beginning of Z to SPARE
>hdd: I copy X to SPARE
>hdd: I copy the end of Z to SPARE
>hdd: I rename Z to OLDZ, and SPARE to Z
>hdd: I erase OLDZ at my leisure and add it to my SPARE list

(2)
>computer to ssd: TRIM Z
>hdd: I rename Z to OLDZ
>hdd: I erase OLDZ at my leisure and add it to my SPARE list

(3)
>computer to sdd: write X to somewhere in Z
>hdd: as there isn't a Z, I allocate one from my SPARE list
>hdd: I copy X to the right place in Z

Without TRIM you will only see (1).
With TRIM you will also see (3).

fascinating! thank you so much.

>be me
>have an old HDD that has a few reallocated sectors already
>use it as a place to store stuff I download via bittorrent
>hash check downloads before opening, if anything is corrupted (which happened only once so far) move it to a fully healthy HDD and have the corrupted parts redownloaded and thus fixed
>that HDD will probably soon die but once it does redownloading everything that was stored on it won't be a problem (euro"poor" here, no data caps, ISP doesn't give a fuck about copyrigtht claims)
Does any of you anons have a better idea for what to do with a dying hard drive?

Just keep it on 24/7 until it dies or the power goes out, then im pretty sure it will be dead.

No one uses SSDs for heavy storage like this, kiddo. Because they can't handle 24/7 writing for 40.000hrs like a good HDD can.

I have been using SSDs for torrenting for years. Literary tens of terabytes written.

Stop buying cheap shitty SSDs.

Obviously if you don't (poorfag or whatever) just stick to HDDs for torrenting.

burn to cheap blurays?

>Stop buying cheap shitty SSDs.
whats good shit?

you are wrong. tests show that the 850 pro ssd will outlive you lol.

what about Samsung SSD 850 EVO ?

Almost 6 years old, currently in a raid 0 with another.
Giving zero fucks.

fucking shit

Always buy PRO

1 full day of torrenting, drive life dropped by 1-2%

def torrenting, nothing else

ff
browser.cache.disk.enable false
new integer
disk.cache.memory.capacity 32768

>Always buy PRO
what if I can't afford it?

I don't even know why you'd shill against SSD's but this is to silly you must be one.
>since they do millions of small 16KB writes
Nigga they write in chuncks, usually around a meg.
Either way, fuck you torrenting to an SSD for, and a 5GB torrent having each 16kb segment of it written to is only ever gonna cause two writes.
>Spoify
Dunno lol. Yay streaming.
Either way my mac usually writes 100's of GB an hour to SSD, basically every hour. for the last three years, and it's fine. A 128GB SSD so far at 72TB of writes, or 600x full disk writes. On top of this most of the writes where probably on 10GB of the disk, for ram and caches.
Show me those stats that you drive has over 600x its size in writes.

>Solid State Disk Drive
>Hard Drive

>Solid State Disk
>Disk
>DISK

>Solid State Disk Drive
>disk

what did he mean by this

That's not RAS syndrome though. It's just, oh fuck.
Is it solid state drive?
SSD drive being solid state drive drive?
No such thing as a solid state disk?

>No such thing as a solid state disk?
Not him but there is no solid state disc, as implied by the term "solid state". See I don't see no discs in that drive yo.

I'm pretty sure you just repeated what the post you're quoting said.

This was my experience as well and I torrented and did other stuff constantly. What do you guys own exactly? My 840 Evo stayed in perfect condition no matter what I did to it. Then again all my hard drives do, I've never had one die. Even 10+ year old ones are still fine. Either I'm lucky or people do weird shit like toss drives around.

O-ok. ;__;

he probably meant a hybrid drive, ssd/hd mix is a thing

Yes, and they're called SSHD. Still no "disk" in SSD.
And no, he didn't.

Should I do this fix in the article?

Yes. Where is the proofs. None.

are you using windows or linux?
If windows which one?

There are certian precautions you need to take, such as disabling the logging of file access times in fstab.

I quit windows because a process kept calling svchost and would do a shit ton of read/writes per second. So much that I could actually hear the drives moving. Id did this every time I would walk away for 10 minutes and it would stop the second I touched my mouse.
This was clean win7. This behavior was persistant through several installs for years.

The day I switched to linux was the last day I heard my drive make noise.

SSDs are shit. I warned you all. I fucking warned you.

Sitting here with ages old HDDs doing just fucking fine. And my new HDDs aren't any fucking slower than your skewed fake benchmark SSDs and boot and load just as fast or very nearly so.

SSDs are bullshit, a fucking placebo, and made to take money out of the pockets of fucking fools.

Congrats, Sup Forums, you fell for yet another modern "technology" clusterfuck.

I use an ssd for os + temporary storage.
It makes dealing with large files so much more managable.
Compiling unreal on the ssd cut the time down measurably.