>current projects
>future projects
>questions

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_372951.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Can we get a comfy SBC thread going?
Nope.
This here is consumerism board. Don't even tried.
I tried several times to get an embedded thread going, but those weebs on here only care about riced arch desktops, iphones and the newest graphics cards

I've had mixed luck over a 3 month period.

Anyone has experience with Orange Pi PC 2? Satisfied with the PC1, but the 100Mbit NIC simply isn't up to snuff.

heh, with that rasberry mania SBCs can be considered consumerism electronics today.

Anyway I have a cubieboard2 and I'm generally not satisfied with it.
It features a Mali400 with terrible driver support so forget about driving a 1080p hdmi sceen for anything else other than a terminal or a very lightweight WM.

I also wanted to use it as lightweight fileserver (it has a sata port) but I get bad rw performances and while the megabit ethernet connection is fine for "over the internet" transmission (I have a VDSL), it is definitely too slow for LAN, so I always end up plugging an usb3 hdd to my machines to do backup or transferring big files.

Right now I'm using it for home video surveillance (webcam plus a motion detection software) and sometimes tinkering with some service (ownclound, irc server ...).

should have gone with the pi3 faggot

It wasn't even announced at the time I bought the cubieboard and anyway it doesn't have neither gigabit ethernet nor sata ports.

I once got a pi2, used it for different things.
Used it to watch some old chinese cartoons on old crt tv, played around a bit with FM radio and even did some AVR programming.
Learned quite some things through it, that was nice.

>Mali400
Yeah Mali is the bane of a lot of clones.

Would it be possible to use the adc of the sound card to make a low cost, "low voltage", oscilloscope?

>CTRL-F ODROID
>0 results
>disapointted.jpeg
Guys, you should try like armbian, really nice diy OS.

>sbc
>not consumerism
Why? I own one pi and have various home projects that have borrowed it, but ultimately it's just a toy project device no different than any other chink shit except added DIY.

>Original rev 0 Pi with 25MB ram
>In a box
>5x Orange Pi Ones
>In the same box
>A 256MB Orange Pi Zero for muh nostalgia
In its bag, soon to go in the fucking box
They're good when you need them but right now I need to be finding a job, not fucking round with pi's.
(Dunno why I ordered an oppai Zero then, but it's cute so whatever. Wonder if you can fit minimal linux on the spi flash?)
Armbian for lyef.
I donate 10% the price of every board I buy to them

>tfw waiting for my 512mb orange pi zero to ship
I plan to use it as VPN and Seedbox, is the hardware capable of doing both at the same time?

Running armbian of course.

I need a 64bit one with more than 2gb of ram. I have been waiting too long to upgrade my original odroid-xu. So far the RK3399 firefly is the only possible upgrade. I hope rockchip does a soc with 4+ A72 and a bigger gpu in the future.

Only thing I would ask to the Armbian guys is better support for my dwb web browser. Is the most fully featured yet lightweight browsers, sadly is has a bug.

This thread reminds me that I fucked up the initrd of archarm and locked myself of my BananaPi again.
This time without any way to restore it.

Why would armbian be causing the bug>

>This time without any way to restore it.
Something something SD card?

I encrypted the root partition. To unlock it I need to set the initrd correctly.
This is pretty easy but doing that over ssh is kinda convoluted. Anyway tried that with systemd and everything is fucked, can't unlock disk.

Running an odroid C2 with arch
Currently runs mpd server, deluge server with web client and syncthing,
Tried tt-rss, but fuck rss.

I also want to turn it into a vpn node, put pxe boot on it and use it as some sort of command center like a google home thingy, but haven't found good software for that. And I don't want to turn it into a dhcp server so pxe boot doesn't really work.

I just bought a Rasp PI. What should I do with it? I'm completely new to this whole thing but I have this feeling that I should really learn to do something with it.

Running armbian on an orangepi pc. Shit works great

if you don't already have a use for it when you buy it, then it is bound to collect dust in a drawer.

this is the case for most RPIs

What kind of raspi?
There's a good list on the wiki.
Trying to turn a B+ into an animal cam my father can put in the woods. I think it's too underpowered though, can only get about 6 fps,
going to try to jack it up and otherwise go for a 2.

>vpn
Had the most luck with softether.
Others like strongswan and openswan takes a lot of time to set up and debug. That and these can't differentiate between different clients behind 1 public IP

What are people's opinions on lattepanda? Is it a good desktop replacement?

I'll look into it, thanks.
I tried openvpn, but I screwed something up and then I couldn't bother about it anymore. so I put it on my todo list.

Olinuxino A20-LIME2 used currently as a web server and IRC bouncer.

Installed debian on an old 2x usb broadcomm board router. Usb key is acting as a main/swap drive. Most l33t haxxor shit tever did tbqh

Softether can also emulate openvpn.
It really is worth the try

So what's the dealio with the orange pi pc 2?

Is it good as a low powered pc/htpc?

I have a raspberry pi 1 model b. How fucked am I?
Anything orher than command line is pain.

that's a great image

Beaglebone Black is great
No binary blobs

Are any of the SBC worth picking up as a small web host for development as well as maybe a streaming/ftp gateway/platform?

What if I want a dual ethernet SBC, is that even reasonable? A hardware-based MITM system would be kind of nice for personal reasons.

Yeah

I'm looking for something with a proper SATA port, but everything we get basically uses a shitty USB adapter

found pic related, but it's just a prototype yet and no clue how it will perform irl

- dual core A9 @1.6 GHz (max 2Ghz)
- 1GB DDR3 (2GB optional)
- 4x SATA III
- 2x USB 3.0
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet
- Micro SD card
- Built-in HDD power circuitry for 4 disks
- 2x Fan PWM headers
- I2C, GPIO and extension pins
- Micro USB to Serial
- Dimension 100mm x 100mm

Finally. I was waiting for a proper SATA board.

There are some versions of orangepi and bananapi that have a sata port. But no idea how they perform

Your board does look nice, especially for a homebuild NAS

Whats the OpenGL driver like on the raspi?

Your best bet would be to get a sbc wuth 1 NIC and attach a usb-ethernet adapter
I haven't heard of any sbc's woth multiple NIC's
All of them are suited for such things.
Htpc, yes.
Pc, maybe. Work ok for light browsing and text editing, but anything else is just too slow

Anyone have experience with Orange Pi One H3? I need a 3D printer webserver with Octoprint. Also wondering if I should use a USB webcam or a Raspberry Pi CSI compatible camera that's connected with its own kind of a cable to the computer.

atom-powered raspberry pi
when?

Are you an idiot?

I just finished setting up my Pi-hole on my Rpi 3. Took some time to figure out why it wasn't working. Now it's set up, I'm just not sure it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Why are people so obsessed with ARM boards? There's plenty of x86 boards out there too that are good for the price with native sata as well as support for all x86 software.

No, you?

>micro ATX
>mini ITX
Are you kidding?

Because if it's not the size of a credit card its not FUTURISTIC ENOUGH XDDDD

I just ordered Orange Pi One, am waiing for it to get delivered. They say it's just as good as raspberry, but the community is small, so if you're using it you're on your own

Form factor and power considerations.

celery boards are shit tier
at this point it doesn't matter if it's ARM or CISC
the only reason one might argue is that some proprietary software is not available on ARM

What do you guys think about LattePanda?
Is it good?

Other than size and price they're superior in almost every way.

>sata 3.0 6gbps
>USB 3.0
>x86 processors with 10w or less peak power draw that annihilates raspberry pi in performance
>8 or 16GB ram
>pcie
>etc

Only pi I'd consider is the orange pi pc and pc2 just because they're so much cheaper. Otherwise, why bother?

Can i do something with the PI Zero or it's just a $5 trumps meme?

Just save some more and buy an odroid c2 with the emmc, you'll have a desktop replacement for the most part.

You can do plenty with them, either come up with an idea or shove it up your ass

Thanks.
That's not a bad idea, i can make it control a vibrating stick covered with a penis-like silicon base or maybe i can connect some wires and control the current to pleasure my cock and nipples.

>Other than size and price
So other than the entire 100% percentile reason to have them. Great. Moron...

Why do they always put this shielding on top of cpu? There is 100% shitty thermal paste underneath.

I am looking for a cheap soc with two NICs that can run sophos utm. Does somebody know a good one?

It's an atom CPU. The chip beneath that metal thing is bare, it's showing the silicon. No shielding, and 90% of the boards would be fucked by retards and a static discharge.

no problem, just remember, buy the emmc for no regrets

What low-level projects could be done with a beaglebone black or any other open hardware sbc?

Their website looks like generic snake oil. Put a pfsense on espressoboard and that's it.

Specs and pricewise, it looks like a good alternative to Intel NUC

Flashing Libreboot on different hardware Free As In Freedom (tm).

install mate on it
= 'pc' for anything, apart from browser as it only has 1gb ram
install mate & make headless , is server, always on
use it for torrenting overnight

>SBC
>About the same amount electricity cost of a light bulb
>Great processing speed for any of your server or automated task needs
>About the size of a wallet
>Cheap

>""""Mini"""" itx
>Standard desktop TDP
>About 10x bigger than SBCs
>Pricey
>You may as well have gotten a fully functional desktop at this point

Are you an idiot?

>10W
>Standard desktop TDP

Are you? He just gave a good answer.

Then there is:
>already use a mini ITX as a desktop
>buy another one
>I just doubled the size of my shit

Not really. I mean windows runs okay but the atom just isn't that good. Mine gets quite hot as well and randomly shuts down and all it is running is kodi. Was a backer of the deal with the screen and it's never left it's box

Dreampi for my retro online dreamcast games.

Except he didn't.

Which desktop processor has a 10w tdp?
Which SBC is a tenth the physical size of a mini itx board? If you consider $70 pricey then stop wasting time on SBCs and find a job.

gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_372951.html

No you didn't you fucking idiot.

>Which desktop processor has a 10w tdp?
no one? usually it is higher (pic related) and he never said a desktop processor has a 10W tdp

>Which SBC is a tenth the physical size of a mini itx board?
mini-itx is 17 × 17 cm = 289 cm^2
the raspberry pi zero is 6.5 x 3 cm = 19.5 cm^2
14.8 times smaller.

>If you consider $70 pricey then stop wasting time on SBCs and find a job.
getting cheaper electronics goods is a bad thing? you are literally a consumerist bitch

Raspberry Pis are not representative of all the ARM board options.
You can get competing ARM boards for 1/4 the price or less.

What's your set up look like?

i5+GTX1070 packed in a node 202

I have a bananaPi and w/ a SATA disk I get ~50MB/s over NFS

not really great, but for a cheap NAS it could be worse...

Which one of those boards he posted at that price would have one of those processors you posted in that image?

Stop moving the goalposts.

trying to get my feet wet with some raspberry pi projects and Python programming
I suck so bad holy shit

Do you have the motherboard and everything for that? I was looking into a mini itx build but kinda lazy to measure all the components myself to make sure they fit

>Which one of those boards he posted at that price would have one of those processors you posted in that image?
Sorry didn't noticed you were talking about the boards in this picture.
Anyway the raspberry pi burns 4W, is way smaller than a mini-itx board and cheaper. If it is able to do the work you need it for, then it is a good deal. This was his point. No intention to "move the goalpost".

None of them, but the guy said "Standard desktop TDP" which isn't what any of those mITX boards have.

They're not moving the goalposts, just pointing out the claim is retarded.

Regarding the RPi Zero, why the FUCK did they space the micro usb ports so damn close to each other?
Practically everything you plug in butts against each other, if only they moved it literally just 3mm away you could comfortably fit a micro cable for power and a shim to full size on the other.

>unironically wanting to stay on X86

probably not that easy. A possible solution could be to remove the plastic cover from the musb cable.

I've got a bunch of Anker micro usb cables, the ones I have fitted to Pi Zeros I think I'll just have to take a blade to and shave off some of the plastic housing.

Has there been any news about if that Asus Tinker Board will support FOSS firmware? I've heard it uses the same SoC as the Asus C201 Chromebook which is supported by Libreboot.

>but for a cheap NAS it could be worse...
Iktf. 8MBps with rpi, smb.
Been thinking about getting an sbc with gbit nic, but it feels like consumerism if i do get it.

There is a database being kept but its not really all that good of a site driving it. Maybe I will make one and keep it updated.

Ordered an Orange Pi Zero and I'm waiting for it, apparently the drivers are pretty bad or non existent

Anyone use an embedded Linux distribution?

I'll be managing one at work so want to get some experience at home. Im thinking more like embedded Linux on arduino or similar, rather than running on A Pi.

>embedded Linux on arduino
how the hell are you going to install linux on a microcontroller with few kilobytes of memory?

Having googled more, I'm thinking it'll need to be something on the level of the pi. But more rtos style Linux, rather than GPOS Linux.