At what age did you start programming and how did you get into it?

At what age did you start programming and how did you get into it?
For me it was at 19 with Python.

Other urls found in this thread:

sgpsys.com/infovek/baltik2/uvod.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck, I meant at what age did you get into programming/start learning it.

14 with C. I am now 20 and write a lot of Rust, among many others.

Turbo Pascal at 16.

same

Can I compete on the same level of you guys if I'm only getting into programming in my 20s?

if you actually put in the work to learn

most likely no, unless you have good knowledge in math and/or other applicable sciences, but otherwise you are already behind in knowledge, but don't forget that there is a reason for not learning something. what I mean is people usually learn things they are good at and the same for the opposite. There are of course exceptions and this does not apply to web coders

>20
>C++
>batch """programming"""

Left the school before they started to infect me with their VS addiction.

14 with css + javascript
19 now and i mostly use c/c++ and python
i take math and computer science courses in uni

Visual Basic

10 with LUA
14 with Python
Now 24 with Java

you started so high...and went so ....low

At 6 with this shit at elementary school sgpsys.com/infovek/baltik2/uvod.htm

:(

You can still become a decent programmer and land a comfy job in a few years.

JavaScript etc. when I was 9. Parents took the computer away from me afterwards so I lost interest after a while. Don't think they ever cared about what I was doing. I'm starting over by learning Lisp for fun now.

Nope. He grew up and learned relevant languages so he can make money.

all shit

Like 12, C.

17 with ROBOTC
Now 20 and I've forgotten everything, but I've learned MATLAB, if that counts

Don't listen to that dude, programming isn't like learning an instrument, even if you start at 6 years old you never really know what you're doing until your brain matures and ability for structured thought develops.
The single most important thing in programming is work ethic, you have to get out there and write some damn code, post on stack overflow, google shit, research shit, implement shit, do project euler, read books, watch lectures and conference talks etc. Then you'll be a master programmer in about 6 years if you keep up and keep improving.
It's all about the habits, you can be good (yes, even world class) at anything if you can develop the proper set of habits both mental and physical.

8-9 years, in Basic lel. Anyway after that I went to visual basic and only then C and C++. I've always been passionate about computers and when my dad showed me what you can do with programming I started learning it from books that my dad bought.

Introduction to object-oriented programming class at university.

Kinda used Basic when I was 4
But really more like 14-15 with C++ (unless you consider HTML code, then maybe a bit earlier)

9, BASIC on an Apple IIe since that's what my school had at the time (this was 1994)

Teacher gave me an old programming manual when he was cleaning out a bunch of old computer stuff at school.

Learned Pascal and C in early teens and then C++ at like 15

started toying w. C++

18 to 20
steadily improved at reverse engineering and familiarity with x86/x86-64. proficiency in C/C++17.

now- out here gettin this money as malware analyst.

Oh shit the memories

9, Game Maker 8

8, Game Maker 9

12, C++, my uncle showed me how to use windows console, asked how to make programs, went out and bought me a for dummies book the next day. It taught fundamentals in 3 languages, but I was lucky enough to choose C++ over BASIC and Revolution(lol) as my focus syntax wise. Read the C++ portion in like 2 days.

C# at 13

8/qbasic in a 286 machine

I think 13, started with Basic4GL from a coverdisk. No internet at the time. It was BASIC with some extensions and a scratchpad to do drawing. Wrote some shitty text based games and such. And it supported OpenGL, as its name implies, although I don't think I ever really learned to do any GL coding with it except making minor modifications to the samples.

I remember making an "OS" (it would ask for a login password and then list several "programs" to choose from, implemented as subroutines). I clearly had no idea what an OS actually was, but I was very pleased with myself.

I've learned a lot of languages since. Still on my todo list are some kind of functional language and some form of assembly.

I do freelance Node programming to support myself. Kind of hate JS but there are a lot of jobs for it.

13 and C++

13 with C.

Turbo pascal

18, C

Sometime in my late teens.
Wish I had started sooner but no one to teach me and did not know any good ways to learn.

Thank god for the C++ website

12 with Java. Moved on to Python pretty quickly after that.

There was also some Scratch and LEGO NXT stuff earlier but that's not "real" programming.

underage, 8 was release less than 8 years ago

there isn't even a version 9

18 with C.

I'm 20 now and still feel like a complete noob

14, basic, bought a book about computers and it had a programming section

I was 10, my uncle gave me a book with videogame cheats. I didn't even really play video games back then because our computer was shit. The internet was a thing back then but it was painfully slow and expensive. The book had an appendix with the basics of boolean logic and the hexadecimal number system which fascinated me.
The same guys made a book on game programming using BlitzBASIC so I got into that and I was hooked.

36 still trying to learn c++

If you don't dream in code you have no chance. You will always be a 1xer doomed to work at the bottom of the food chain in tech support for slave wages while us 10xers sip mocha fraps in Starbucks making $300k starting

15 Perl
16 Python, PHP
18 VB.NET/C#, Pascal
26 Java
27 C/C++

I'm 30

Punchcards at 25

It's too late for you, sorry

11, python

TOPKEK

8 years old, using spectrum basic. Why? Because I could start using it instantly instead of waiting for a game to load off tape.

java programming class in high school

is 31 too old to start programming and be good with it? 31 is generally too old to start anything I feel.

I started at age 14 in high school
First HTML, then JS, then C++ and then finally C.

I hated Java and dropped that garbage.

I got so demotivated I stopped programing for 3 years after high school, but I am now doing Python in my spare time.

I got interested in it when I was 21. I tried earlier, but programming on windows isn't fun and I lost interest.

13-14 turbo pascal

>mfw 9, Game Maker 6

12 with Java.
Now 25 and also know C and Python.

I started modding/hacking a game with friends

my friends were using a pirated version of visual basic 1.0 and were making spambots and simple ciphers.

I then find myself at a electronic boutique one day and see that they are selling programming starter packs (Visual basic + Learn basic 24 days and Borland C + Teach yourself C Book).

Being the conceited 10 year old I decide to get the harder to use Borland C for $100. I then go home, just as expected my adhd autism prevent me from having the patience to learn and understand C. I then discover Qbasic is preinstalled in Windows from the beginning and start using that instead.

Parents should have stopped me then and put me in therapy baka

9 BASIC cheating in games on an Atari 600XL

Probably 11-12, Visual basic 6

You can, the industry is constantly changing and a lot of people don't adapt or transition as well in tech. It's gonna take you a lot of hours but you're definitely young enough to get good enough.

I programmed since I was 15 and did a CS based program at my community college and now I got a fairly comfy job out of it (24 now). It only cost me $7K over 2 years to do my course so I graduated with no debt. I have several friends with 40-50K debt from real college and they can't even find jobs. I'm making 52K a year starting out and I'm happy, way better than no job.

I started with basic on a Commodore 64 in 1990. I was 10 years old. Then it was assembler, still on that C64 later that year and then C the year after when I got a PC clone.

~13, java

my parents sent me to this cancerous summer camp about java

but I was just a cancerous gaymer kid until I learned from scratch on my own

Started at that age too. How far have you progressed since?

17 with Delphi
37 now, decent career as a programmer

>Laid off from job, couldn't get construction work, had 9 months of unemployment checks until I had to go homeless
Don't even like the work, I'd rather do blue collar but programming is easy work and it pays my bills. Been a Java developer for 4 years now.

Did you learn by yourself or just went back to college? If the former, what resources did you use?

I bought head first java and some other forgettable books, taught myself and started applying around the six month mark. Got hired after 2 months of looking and around 10 interviews. Best resource aside from the book was the algorithm cheat sheet for interviewing which you can google. I had to rep the shit out of that stuff to get past the lolnodegree people.

HTML and CSS at 5. PHP a few years later (still in elementary) for more advanced stuff. Since games like Runescape started I also learned Java in elementary to make basic bots and multibox. (~8)

You could have been doing my job at age 8. Fucking child labor laws are dumb.

Applesoft BASIC on my family's //gs when I was 7. I think I watched my father program something and went from there with a book on it we had.

It definitely got me rich.
In videogames.

14-16

I don't remember which year of high school it was but I took a Computer Science class that taught QBASIC.

The earliest was manipulating game files written in Python and other easy languages at 14, but I didn't know WTF I was doing. At 24 I started writing AutoHotkey scripts and my first actual language came at 25 with Py.

autohotkey is not more of a language than python

18 trying to learn C++ and English
28 still learning English and barely got past C++ hello world, still trying to get job

I have so many young coworkers who would probably be rich irl if not got vidya. Really makes you think.

>Got hired after 2 months of looking and around 10 interviews.

Remote jobs or there was a lot of people looking for programmers around you?
Asking because there's very few jobs around me in this field.

Does ActionScript count? 16

Except Python is the language of science and math, because it just werks. You'd know that if you studied a STEM subject that is actually worthwhile, and not CS.

>17
>Lua
>because World of Warcraft

Regional. I interviewed in Dallas, Austin, Houston, and a few other cities. Ended up in Austin. Had to move. Not sure how remote work is. Never looked into it.

I saw an episode of The Simpsons where Moe was on David Letterman sharing his new book "Words you can write on a calculator up-side-down" I made a bet with my dad that I could come up with 100 words. I figured I could write a program to do some string manipulation and find the 20 or so I was short. I never did collect on the bet.
>15 years old programming in high school QBasic then Visual Basic then Python then HTML/CSS then C family then XML then .ASP

8th grade, back in the early 90s.
I got tired of having to solve the same problem with different numbers 30 times every night for my algebra homework, so I figured out how to program one of these (in TI-BASIC) to do the homework for me.

Turns out the process of figuring out how to write a program to do algebra makes you really good at both--I went on to get a masters in math and spend a decade as a math teacher before switching over to software development.

16 HL2: Garry's mod

C & C++ after that

Not sure if you'd count it, but my first experience was when I was 17 with Construct 2. Then I started college at 18 and worked with Python for my first course.
Now I'm 20 and most of my classes are in C++ or C.

>always felt inferior to classmates who had been programming since child
>after getting a job realized that most of them were pic related

And some never evolved past that stage. Sad.

18, Python, high school course. Currently a comp sci major in my pre-junior year of uni feeling uneasy about dynamic memory allocation for char arrays.*

* My uni is 5-year; pre-junior = 3rd year

>this is why the People Hatred Klans Begin
wtf did this kid accidentally invent Alt Right?

12 GML
13 Java
14 Python

Now I'm 19 and stuck with Python. I wanna learn C, but I have a hard time with the pointer syntax.