I have a 1TB external drive, lets all argue over which option is better

I have a 1TB external drive, lets all argue over which option is better.
A. Have drive be all ext4 and set up windows to read/write ext4
B. Have drive be all NTFS and set up GNU/Linux to read/write NTFS
C. Split the drive half NTFS half ext4

Well?

op here, apparantly you can't write to ext4 under windows?

>op here, apparantly you can't write to ext4 under windows?
Nope. You can through Samba if you have a Linux NAS for example. Or you share the files from a Linux host to a Windows guest VM or vice versa.

Personally I run Linux as my main OS and Windows in a VM, and sharing ext4 partitions using samba works fine. Windows can both write and read from those shared partitions in that case.

external? NTFS, anyOS reads that.

D. Ditch Windows and it's clusterfuck of a file system altogether

EXFAT

If you plan to store large files on it, or expect high fragmentation, beware that ntfs3g on *nix will become horrendously slow.

No native support, but I think you can with ext2fsd, provided there's a particular feature set selected when formatting the drive.

cuck

only logical option. just ditch windows.
>bb-bu-but muh games
so? linux game library has grown massively thanks to valve and i highly doubt you play your entire library to begin with. just ditch developers who don't support linux and play the ones who do. and in this day and age you should have quite a bit of titles that run just fine on linux.

i finally pulled the trigger a few months ago and couldn't be happier to break off those shackles of oppression known as windows.

>Well?
ZFS, ofc

/lost+found

huh?

\system volume information
\recycled
\found.000

THICCCC

oh fuck off. not everyone wants to get rid of triple a games, and most recent multiplayer releases are only on windows anyway

E:D is the only game i play anymore so yeah i dont think thats gonna happen.

op, it doesn't likely need to be NTFS or ext4. fat or exfat could work just fine. that also means its note portable than ext4

E:D?

fat32 > fat16 > fat12 > ntfs

You can read/write ext3/4 through that one ext2 filesystem driver but while the filesystem is mounted journaling is disabled

elite: dangerous
its really the only thing i play anymore and i dont play it very much but its still worth using windows for. dont get me wrong i use my gnu/linux partition a lot too

i have virtual disk images larger than exfat can support :/

I'd say multi partition then. or use a nas+samba or some shit if you never have to access the images outside the housr

I remember having Ext2Fsd working on a windows machine a while back. Never had any problems with it, though I also never tried to do anything very interesting.

The problem with that is the lack of journaling. If windows crashes or shuts down improperly the the filesystem could be left in an "unclean" state and you'll have to boot up linux and run fsck. On a large hard disk this could take a while

windows is such a pile of shit it's literally only capable of working with 2 filesystems:: fat35 and ntfs. That's it

If linux was actually anywhere near usable as a desktop os and everything worked flawlessly on it, I'd switch instantly

Option a is impossible

exfat?

ntfs-3g is more stable than extfs drivers for windows, so I'd go with ntfs.
if you don't plan to put anything with a lot of small files on the HDD, you can consider exfat too.

I used to use exfat on flash drives and any hard drive shared by a dual boot. Don't do it OP. It's buggy as fuck. Before I said fuck it and reformatted I had to run windows scandisk on it or windows couldn't read it half the time. It mounts fine but I'd have "corrupt" files that Linux read just fine and premature EOFs all over the place. Not worth it for dual boot.

>Windows is a pile of shit
>I will switch to linux when everything works flawlessly.
what else kind of double standards do you apply to everyday life.

yes you can, you add the ext4 drivers and mount the ext4 partition

OP

You want an actual answer, go for the split thing.

The NTFS driver for linux is pretty good and for convenience it would probably work better (as you don't have to transfer files from one partition to another if you suddenly decide that this random thing should be accessible by Windows) but still nothing is better on linux than ext4 if you are going to use linux for most tasks and Windows just for games/office or whatever the fuck.

Here's what he most likely meant with that:

>I know that Windows has many flaws which Linux doesn't have, but it has X, Y and Z which work perfectly on Windows despite other issues
>Linux gets rid of said flaws, but I can't switch until X, Y and Z are supported, which are the most important things for me in the end

Everything flawlessly implies everything that already works without flaws on windows.

Even if you're right, that's what he should've said in the first place.

I "lost" around 30 gigs of data like this. Never thought to try to repair, just recover which failed. Luckily the data was replaceable. If my windows machine shuts down unexpectedly again, what am I supposed to do? Unplug drive, plug into Linux machine, don't mount it, run fsck on the device, continue about my business?

Just install Ext2Fsd, works fine.

For *nix filesystems use fsck, it looks over the filesystem and makes sure all the files are where they're supposed to be and marks incomplete data as corrupted and then checks off the filesystem as clean so that the OS can use the volume.

The Windows equivalent of that is chkdsk. I think windows will automatically run chkdsk if a volume wasn't properly shut down but if you can't get windows to start after it crashed or the power was lost it may be worth a try.

>I think windows will automatically run chkdsk if a volume wasn't properly shut down but if you can't get windows to start after it crashed or the power was lost it may be worth a try.

Use the windows install disk but use the repair function and bring up a command prompt window and then run it from there basically.

You have files larger than 16EB?

Try it in WINE and see if how it goes; it may work pretty well.