Are these monitors worth it?

Are these monitors worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.thefelt.net/the-glorious-goldilocks-dells-25-u2515h/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>6ms response time
As long as you dont mind not gaming.

6ms is fine for gaming unless you're playing for an actual tier 1 or 2 E-sports teams.

Seriously, any random motherfucker who plays counter strike or DOTA thinks 1-2ms response time vs 6-8ms is make or break, but unless you're already at PEAK performance, you'll be hard pressed to notice it at all.

I have the Asus version of that panel, 6ms is just fine for gaming, back in 2007 I had a dell ultrasharp IPS that had 15ms response time and even it was OK for counter strike.

Anyone telling you 6ms is literally unplayable is believing some bullshit marketing, or they're 15 and retarded.

I got mine about a year ago for $265 each.

the PB258Q? is there any difference between that one and the one i have pictured?

The on screen menu is different, with the dell offering some extra color tuning options if you're into setting everything up to your EXACT specifications or some shit.

It also has Display port passthrough, which the Asus doesnt have.

This lets you plug a display port monitor INTO the dell, then plug the dell (using displayport) into your GPU. So you only have 1 cable going to your GPU instead of two, but both your monitors will be connected.

The Asus only has a single Displayport meaning it can't daisy chain.

Otherwise, they use the same exact LG AH-IPS panel.

I find it funny that anyone believes the 1-2ms marketing bullshit on their gayming monitor

It can be fairly well demonstrated that at super high end levels of FPS gaming, very good players CAN notice the difference. However even among these players, they admit they can still play fine on higher latency, but given the option they'd pick 1-2ms monitor over a 5-6ms monitor.

But once you go outside the best of the BEST in e-sports, 99% of people simply wont get any tangible benefits from lower latency.

They're likely getting more latency from their shitty internet, than from their monitor.

ill go with the asus one as i dont plan on using passthrough or daisy chaining

fuck off back to you stupid manchild. and NEVER come back.

I'd pick 6 ms IPS monitor over 1 ms TN one at any given day.

At this point you're the minority in here.

Yeah, there is literally only ONE 25" "1440p IPS panel being produced.

So if you see a 1440p 25" panel and it's IPS, it's using this panel. Dell gets first pick, Asus 2nd, then Acer last. This means Acer generally gets the worst panels and Dell gets the best, with Asus taking whatever dell doesnt take from the good ones.

I have heard the Acer one has shit quality control and build quality however, so I would avoid it.

I have a U2414H, it's awesome. Easily the best monitor I've owned, and I plan to buy the 4k version when I build a new computer later this year. Picture quality and colors are excellent, it doesn't have that grainy texture you see on some IPS monitors, and the stand doesn't fucking wobble like all the cheap Asus shit monitors.

If you're more the "quality over quantity" mindset, then yes.

I wouldn't dare touch a reject "Korean monitor", but would gladly buy an "outdated" monitor if it means, no glossy screen, matte bezels, a stand that fully adjusts and doesn't wobble, has no dead pixels, and preferably factory calibrated.

i have a bunch they are really good
only complaints i had are lack of DVI and non responsive touch sensor "buttons" for the OSD

>and the stand doesn't fucking wobble like all the cheap Asus shit monitors.
asus actually basically copied dell's stand design with their version of this monitor.

The only thing it doesnt have is pivot.

I still replaced mine with a dual arm mount though, much cleaner

Dumb normalfag cunts. Response time is not the same as input lag/delay. Fucking normalfags falling for jewish marketing memes.
>le 1ms response time
Dell IPS monitors, especially the UxxxH series have about the same or lower input lag than 1ms gaymer monitors.

>I have heard the Acer one has shit quality control and build quality
I used to have an Acer 25" 1440p IPS monitor. I sold it a month later because of its abysmal brightness uniformity, horizontal shadows/lines (dirty screen effect) and I could also see the actualy LEDs and their shadows at the very bottom of the display.

My Dell U2414H looked 10 times better in comparison.

Yup, cause dell pays the money to get first pick of the lot when LG or samsung produce panels.

>25" 1440p

shiggy diggy anons

get a dell U2717D if you want 1440p IPS

Why?

It's $150+ more and barely any bigger. Unless you've got money to burn or you REALLY want 27", it really isn't a smart buy.

1440p 25" is 117PPI, which is perfectly fine for text legibility WITHOUT GUI scaling.

feels like a waste to have 1440p on such a small screen, might as well stick with 1080p if you're forced to use 25" or smaller

27" is the ideal size for 1440p

Any reason you recommend U2717D over U2715H? Reviews seem to indicate U2715H has better colors with its Samsung panel.

>on such a small screen
It's not a small screen

>27" is the ideal size for 1440p
Says WHO?

109 PPI on the 27"
117 PPI on the 25"

both are 1440p, neither requires GUI scaling.

This just means the 25" is a sharper looking image, and as long as you sit at a normal viewing distance, the 25" will GENERALLY look better because of the higher pixel density.

blog.thefelt.net/the-glorious-goldilocks-dells-25-u2515h/

the U2715H is discontinued and the U2717D is its successor

>Reviews seem to indicate U2715H has better colors with its Samsung panel

not sure how that's possible given the U2715H uses the LG panel, while U2717D has the samsung

higher ppi is not always better

>higher ppi is not always better
It objectively is for the average viewing distance, especially when talking about the two SPECIFIC DPI values of these two monitors.

109 PPI vs 117 PPI, at pretty much ANY normal human viewing distance, the 117 PPI will objectively look sharper. Period, fact, end of discussion.

You're right in general though, 180 PPI for example would be retarded as you would have to GUI scale to read any sort of text. But you can't just say

>uh well you see higher ppi isn't always better

You're not wrong, but you're ignoring the facts.

Dell has some of the best panels you can get in their monitors.
If you need color accuracy in a monitor, Dell is the conclusive benchmark.

Matte or glossy screen? Are glossy screens that much sharper?

soft Matte has become the standard for most higher end monitors.

Glossy is okay but only under the right conditions.

They're pretty good for graphic design, but I'd only buy one if your employer will pay for it

too late i already bought it

Just one?

daring, I like your spunk kid

i already have another 27 inch 1080P monitor to go with it.

The A02 revisions fixed the horrible IPS glow that the A01 revisions had. And by horrible I mean it's only visible when looking at a completely black screen.

You can't even perceive 6ms, can't notice that. Too fast for your brain to react.

Nobody has under 6ms reactions. That's 6/1000 of a second.

>27 inch 1080P
jesus christ
you can see the individual pixels on that from a mile away

That'll be a jarring change in pixel density.

Is dualshock 4 can be play in pc via ds4windows? Is it memes or legit?
Thoughts?

go back to /sqt/

>yes.

share wallpaper please, looks neat.

Ultrasharp monitors are fucking boss. Each individual monitor is calibrated from the factory, and has outstanding image quality. If you do any sort of photo/video editing, get that shit! Even then, they are grade A monitors.
I have primarily used ultrasharp monitors for the past 10 years.

I might sound like a shill, but I just fucking love them. I cant go back after having ultrasharps for so long.

Much too harsh of an angle.

>b-but you can't notice a 1ms response time!!!!!!

I have an older dell 5ms IPS monitor and I thought this too until recently when I played on my friends 1ms 144hz monitor. You can definitely notice the difference in a quick game. People who deny otherwise are the same tards who think you can't notice 60fps.

>the best gamers have less than 2ms server latency
You're delusional, back to Sup Forums

Perfectly fine. I have 2 of them.

What mount is that you used ?
I'm the dude who got the two U2515s for £180 total after an amazon fuck up

yes it works just like an xbox controller, the toucpad on the ps4 controller just functions as a normal laptop touchpad

Are there any decently priced (sub $1k) 4K IPS 144hz monitors out there?

Maybe so, but putting my 24" 1080p next to my 25" 1440p is night and day, I'd never go back

>4K IPS 144hz
There are none for any price, IPS or TN. Try 1440p.

>press /
>type S2716DG
>no results
why? It's a nice monitor
1ms response, 1440p 144 Hz gsync
pretty nice stand too

TN, no? You can get IPS at that price, but FreeSync.

Asus PG27UQ , coming out this year, 4k 144hz . $1200 reported approx price

Pretty good monitor, offers awesome value in a decent package. I clocked mine to 75hz with no impairment to the visual quality. It does ave annoying bleed on a black screen but its not that noticeable in use outside of dark filums.

Is it worth upgrading from my u2312hm?

If you can afford it, and want 1440p over 1080p.

I have two, they're pretty great.

I would go for the 27 inch big brother of that. Used it at work, it is glorious.

>Have a response time of 6ms.
>Servers have a ping of 50+.

Retard.

I paired one with a GTX 980 Ti at 1511/2000. Bretty comfy imo.

I regularly get 1-3ms to official valve servers desu senpai

Monoprice Gas-spring dual arm mount.

Cost me $99 like 6 months ago and never had any issues so far.

>1200 reported approx price
Lol from who did you hear that garbage?

Anandtech estimates $1500-$2000 price point for this sucker, and they don't expect an official release date announcement until at least June.

Meaning a late Q3 or Q4 2017 release at the earliest.

b8

How do I configure it and will the button prompts suits the type of controller I'm using?
Also, is installing windows 10 Enterprise lttsb for gaming purposes is okay or trouble?

Depends on the game, some games are smart enough to change the button prompts to PS4 when you use a DS4 controller, but generally you'll get Xbox prompts as that's what the game will see it as.

W10 is fine for gaming, LTSB is fine, it means Long Term Service Branch (LTSB) and it means microsoft will supply critical security patches, but will not push out feature updates that can potentially introduce bugs.

That looks sweet. How well does it hold on the table? I'm a bit scared of putting two highly expensive screens on something like this, as I have a Skarsta ikea desk. The one that can be modified to sit or stand with a lever.

It has a very solid clamp, i've not had to tighten it once, nor has it come loose from what I can tell in the past ~6 months.

If you're super paranoid just check on it every now and then, but from what I can tell it's sturdy as hell.

The mount itself weighs like 15lbs and can hold up to 19.8lbs per arm.

Here is a pic of the clamp.

It also has mounting hardware to be screwed directly into something if you prefer a more permanent installation.

>It can be fairly well demonstrated that at super high end levels of FPS gaming, very good players CAN notice the difference

That's not what he meant. The 1ms bullshit is a marketing gimmick of the best case scenario for a pixel transition, usually a very specific one.
I remember the case of a "1ms gaming monitor" for instance, that under various test scenarios ended with an average response time of 20ms.

thats talking about input lag, not the grey to grey transition.

Pretty sure he isn't. Even the best monitors today still struggle to drop the input lag below 5ms.

yeah that's my point, the 1ms time is quoting their internal grey to grey tests, NOT input lag.

TN panels have stupid fast transitions and 1ms isn't all that difficult.

VA and IPS panels can easily get under 10ms these days. it's input lag which is where latency really starts to matter, some good panels will have 8-12ms input lag, others will have 15-20ms+

And none of those are generally advertised by the manufacturers.

what if say you had a square that was moving from side to side every 3 ms
you would only catch it being on one side because the screen did not update

Thanks, I appreciate it. Personally, I prefer just drilling into the desk. While the Skarsta is sturdy enough for the current ghetto setup (pic related), I am unsure how it would handle the weight of the arms and two monitors in the long run.

>yeah that's my point, the 1ms time is quoting their internal grey to grey tests

That's the thing though, when the value doesn't explicitly state "[x]ms G2G", chances are it isn't. It's usually the fall time only (most times faster than the rise one), or could be a g2g measurement, but with a very aggressive overdrive setting.

Well IKEA rates your desk to hold 110lbs, so it SHOULD be fine, but would depend what else you keep on your desk.

As you can see, not much.
Arms with two monitors, worklaptop (light dell) and usually my cat who is 3.5 kg. :D Some books as you can see. Should be sub 35kg, and the table is rated 50kg, so it's okay. My issue is with the tilt, though I do have a wall behind it, so it should be fine.

Kill yourself

I have a 24" UHD monitor

You are the megapleb. Welcome to the future.

This
t. U2515 gaymer owner

I have one, mainly got it for Photo/video editing. I like it.

Fine for games if you're not some autistic Dota player.

Some of the user said muh can't get it legally, do you have enterprise ltsb user?
Hopefully my ds4 can be played on enterprise ltsb

The U2515H is a pretty decent monitor, but mine do have some issues.

In displayport 1.2 mode, it acts as if the display is disconnected every time you switch inputs when you have multiple computers. Games can switch from fullscreen to window mode when that happens. It can sometimes show a stuck picture from my other computer instead of the one connected to the currently active input as well. I only really notice that when I have to switch inputs often. It works well enough when you only have the one computer, or you switch inputs rarely.

Depends on what you prioritize:
>Dell is generally more expensive
>Build quality is better too though

I would get Full HD or 4K. 2K is kind of in between.
>Full HD if gaming (you can't get high FPS on 4K yet)
>4K for general stuff like movies, office work, etc.