/sqt/ ~ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE and WAIT for a reply. You are NOT entitled to an answer.

>Specialized Threads:
Stallman/LINUX: PC buy & build: Mech Keyboards: Smartphones: Programming: Headphones: Torrenting: Web Dev: Read the sticky before posting, you can often find the answer faster there: →

>Same goes for taking a minute or two and googling your issue first.
DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION! You wont get an answer faster, and some people look for posts without replies.

Redirect anyone creating their own thread with Previous Thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

trustedreviews.com/opinions/digital-cameras-a-buyer-s-guide-v2-0_Page-6
amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B011UX9970/
wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
youtu.be/FtieBc3KptU
howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html
freedos.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I need a new mouse, if some one has an updated info-graphic that'd be lovely. currently using a g500 from years ago. wat do?

gpro or g403

How much power does a sys_fan header output?

Trying to connect an H100i v2 to the PWM fan header on an enthoo evolv, the pump/fan power itself wont fit on the fan header like all the other builds Ive done with headers.

Apparently need to figure out a different header for the AIO power.

my ps4 is currently connected to my monitor. my monitor has an audio pass through. if i connect that pass through to my pc's line-in with this cable, will i be able to hear my ps4 using headphones connected to my pc?

My retarded tech illiterate sister got one of those encryption ransom """"FBI"""" viruses. I decided to format the C drive from gparted to teach her a lesson, and because the shithead who made the virus doesn't deserve a cent. I didn't touch the boot partition, should I also format that? Is it possible for the virus to fuck up future windows installs?

what the fuck? ive never heard of anyone doing this, why not just get a bluetooth headset for you ps4?

half measure vs full measure, you decide

I have a g402 and it's pretty nice.
Whatever you decide to buy, wait for it to go on sale though.

no harm in just wiping everything and then reinstalling.

Yes, if you have an adapter that will end with aux, you just plug it in to the line in jack and tell windows to "listen to this device".

I do this with a surface pro 4 so I can have streams and whatnot in the background during benching or w/e, audio is perfectly synced.

If I were to purchase a used Mac would it be wiser to get a MacBook pro or a Mac Pro? I just need it for some music related stuff. What should I look for hardware wise? How old is too old?

this is not /ptg/
please remove >>>/ptg/ from the OP
this is appropriation

probably about 1 amp

Hey Sup Forums I was wondering if buying a Moto E2 LTE is worth it, I got mugged my moto g 1st gen last monday and I'm phoneless. I dont really do much on it besides basic social apps, music on headphones and youtube. Is it worth buying for $50 brand new with a 32gb microsd bundled? Would it be much of a downgrade? I really don't feel like spending anything over $70 for anything

wtf is this shit doing in ptg?

I have an older film camera and a newer digital camera (hx300) will the film camera have a better picture?

Is it worth hooking my computer up via ethernet? I don't do any gaming or really anything really network taxing unless you count downloading chinese cartoons, and I'm currently using my motherboard's wifi. It's working good for me so far.

Has anyone here played e.y.e divine cybermancy?
It's on an old as fuck source engine and I could run the pirated version perfectly, but I have bought it on steam and it runs like absolute shit with all settings on the lowest possible option. What the fuck is going on?

is more about consistency than anything, wont improve speeds unless your mobos wifi is shit, but if you have the option theres no reason not to either

should I flash bios? Is it really needed?

look at the release notes for every versions between the one you currently have and the latest
is there anything you need from them?
if yes, consider flashing the latest version
if no, don't bother

>People I know buy computer
>Ask me to look at it for them
>I guess because I look smart
> See something on the desktop that says Adobe
>Turn around and ask "Did you buy this from a brick company?"

From good to better is always nice.

No i5/i7? Too old.
No USB3? Too old.

trustedreviews.com/opinions/digital-cameras-a-buyer-s-guide-v2-0_Page-6

5 megapixels is good enough for 6" x 4" prints.
8 megapixels is good enough for A4 prints.
12 megapixels is good enough for A3 prints.

Everything's most likely encrypted so just wipe everything

>reboot
>suddenly no video output
I can still access the UEFI because it beeps when I do but I'm not getting anything from onboard graphics nor my graphics card. What do I do?

Why?

Whenever I try to copy a folder (1.6gb) to an SD card, it takes 6 fukcing hours or more and some files are corrupted. can I do anything to avoid this bullshit?

I've tried at least 12 times and it's always the same

Let's say I want to install the grub bootloader but later decide to go rid of it. How do I do that?

More info?
Operation System, USB, Firewire, Exact Type of SD

I pressume I do it before installing OS and such but will it work if I move the bios file to a usb3.0 stick? also there is a special usb named "bios flashback" on i/o is there where I put the stick right?

doesn't matter when you do it
>there is a special usb named "bios flashback" on i/o is there where I put the stick right?
i guess, check your motherboard manual

Are you sure your originals are not corrupted?
Do the checksums of the files on your SD card differ from the checksums of your originals?

To get some speed, I could consider a card with UHS and a USB3 adapter.

Maybe something like:
amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B011UX9970/

quit linking other generals in your faggot ass thread

Fug everything just has thunderbolt and usb2 and firewire

Go for it, I'm using a 2008 iMac right now and it's great. You'll need a 2009 or newer to officially run Sierra though.

nvm I was running it on integrated graphics lel

Debian here
Checking on my wifi driver it says the driver is there, my firmware is N/A.
If i dual boot on windows the card works fine, here on debian internet stop working every 10-15 mins.
I have tried a lot of solutions googling etc.
I was wondering if there is some kind of "check or install for missing firmware" tu put on the cli or if any of you had this problem.

chipset is rtl8192CE of an ASUS N15 wifi card

What's a good replacement for firefox? Is waterfox a good idea?

I used to use Iceweasel but every time I try to run it, it becomes firefox.

wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Searching for "rtl8192ce" on the page gives a lot of useful stuff including firmware and intermittent drop outs.

>wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
Thanks, I already passed on that page but i will try more stuff from it.

I have the Intel Corporation DX58SO (J1PR) motherboard currently and an i7 920 in it.
I was wondering today, why the hell does this board support DDR3 1600 when none of the processors that the board supports has a memory controller capable of that speed?
And if there is a 1366 chip that supports that frequency, which one is it?

Can anybody explain to me or point to a source about what an invalid misc is? Talking about wifi stuff.

if all i have are various random programs to test things, do i stand any chance of getting a dev job?

An invalid MAC address you mean? Depends on the context.

Nah, basically running iwconfig among the infos i get there is a "Invalid misc".
It's more than 0 and my wifi is having problems so i think it might be related to that.

Can I use internal graphics and GPU graphics at the same time?

Like having a VGA from the board with IG and HDMI from the card as two monitors

yes

I want to have another OS on my laptop, which should allow me only one thing: writing. Nothing else. The reason should be clear – I just don't want to get distracted.

How can I go about this efficiently?

So you want a glorified typewriter?

I could help you steer in the right direction.

Few questions.
>Are you comfortable with text editor or do you require a full blown word processor?
>What about network connectivity?
Do you need a GUI network manager so you can switch wlan networks on the go or are you fine with configuring it once and forgetting about it (like on a desktop)
>How do you want to export your files?
Are you going to print them, copy to another device or what?
>Are you comfortable with the command line.

Oh and the most importantly, if the answer to the first questions is "text editor", are you familiar with Emacs?

You could set up any Linux distro without an X environment and just write in a text editor from the command line.

If you need windows and a word processor, install a WM/DE, get LibreOffice, set up your system and environment how you like it, and then just uninstall any packages that might be sources of distraction.

Or start practicing meditation.

if you get that virus again, follow the steps.
>Turn off computer.
>Turn on your computer and immediately press F8.
>Now you are in the boot menu, boot up in safe mode with networking
>Now you are in safe mode. Search for the virus in your explorer and registry
>Delete them
>Download a antivirus and install it
>Scan your computer
>If your antivirus finds the virus, it will delete it
Now you are safe.

It won't help with the encryption ransomware.
It encrypts all personal files with an unobtainable decryption key, so you're just wasting time trying to put a system back to life with all your files gone.

Just reinstall the system

Computer won't power on.

Its my little brothers 'gaming' pc so it has those neon like LEDs at the front.

When I press the power button the front 'neon' LEDs flash once, Nothing else is getting power, no fans not the HDD; nothing.

Any tips? Is the PSU? I also already checked with another power cable; same thing.

I think it depends a lot on your preferences. Been using a G700 for years (later G700s when that one broke, same mouse basically but different software and some extra decals on the back) and think it can't be beat in the wired/wireless hybrid niche. Tons of programmable buttons makes your life much easier once you get used to giving them useful functions for the programs you use, also super easy to plug/unplug as needed assuming you're sitting at a desk.

Though if you want to use it exclusively wirelessly the short battery life might become annoying. I usually just unplug it when I'm doing gaming or other tasks requiring rapid mouse movement where the friction of the cord might be annoying.

>When I press the power button the front 'neon' LEDs flash one.
It could be everything including the motherboard.

If the motherboard's dead it probably took the CPU and ram with itself.

Unplug everything from the motherboard but the CPU and start troubleshooting.

Even the PSU fan isn't spinning? Would assume it is the PSU in that case.

Thanks for your reply.

>So you want a glorified typewriter?
Yes. A typewriter that can save files.
>Are you comfortable with text editor or do you require a full blown word processor?
The only thing I need is something to type. Maybe the ability to write in italic type could come in handy.
I don't know about Emacs. I've used Linux only once for about two weeks.
>What about network connectivity?
Do I really need Internet, if I just want to write? I don't need to switch anything, I guess.
>How do you want to export your files?
Probably on a stick. Or to the other partition if that is possible.
>Are you comfortable with the command line.
No. You see I am not very experienced… But it can't be too hard, to get what I want, right? But Linux sounds right for this. With Windows there are always things, you can't control.

What the hell is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\mcaudrv.sys and why did Malwarebytes pick it up as a PUP? There is also an _x64 version.

Will try this, thanks user.
Yeah the whole things silent, It confused me why the LEDs flash once. Thanks user. The PC was a pre-built one and hes been using it for 2 years. Could be a bad PSU.

Sup Forums, i have a really old computer.
Won't upgrade till next year,
but need a RAM upgrade now and want to move to
64bit Windows 7 (am running a 32bit system now).

It has a
• ABIT IP35V board, which still works miraculously.
• Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

The ABIT board has:
• 4x 240-pin DIMM slots support
maximum memory capacity up to 8GB.
• Supports Dual Channel DDR2
1066/800/667 Un-buffered Non-ECC
memory.

The question:
Will i loose anything by getting 2x 4GB RAM cards and putting them into two slots,
instead of going 4x 2GB RAM cards into all 4 slots?
Can one 240-pin DIMM slot hold out one 4GB RAM card?

Is BonziBUDDY

safe now?

What the hell is mcaudrv.sys?

Go ahead and get rid of them. It's just trash left over from ManyCam. Nothing to worry about m8

I'm back after removing all power cables from everyting except the motherboard, I removed the RAM and GPU. When I press the power button; from what I can see the CPU fan spins for a bout 1 second then stops, the whole thing PSU included doesn't make a sound. Is it the PSU or the Mobo?

vidrv and audrv should be self-explanatory.
Leftover video and audio driver software for some program or device.

I was asking about Emacs because it would be the tool I'd use if I was tasked with creating an environment you asked for.

youtu.be/FtieBc3KptU
I know it's an hour long lecture but It's a great insight into what Emacs can offer to someone who doesn't come from technical field at all.

>No. You see I am not very experienced… But it can't be too hard, to get what I want, right?
Exactly. The setup you want would not require any advanced unix knowledge beyond the setup.
Once your finish setting it up, it's done.

As a starter you can read howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html

Just follow the steps described.
>You get Ubuntu LTS server edition (server bit is important, you obviously don't want a full blown desktop environment)
>install xinit
>install emacs
>configure emacs
>write

Now with emacs it's a bit of a rabbit hole.
There are package managers, various modes/extensions/plugins and shitton of configurability.
You can even write your shit in LaTeX and have emacs export it to .pdf

As for transferring data from one machine to another all you have to do is write an fstab entry so your system mounts a plugged USB drive automatically and just copy files with the cp command (or Emacs dired mode which is a file manager)

Are external GPUs a total meme? I'm installing a RX 480 tomorrow so my HD 7870 has become spare. Would be comfy to be able to take it with my Thinkpad when I travel.

I have to say: it does look quite complicated right now to me. But I will delve into it, and then it should be easy.
Thank you very much for your time!

They most certainly work

>Would be comfy to be able to take it with my Thinkpad when I travel.
So you're going to take a thinkpad, a powered e-GPU case and a monitor with you?

Hotels/houses have TVs, lad.

Would using one mean I'd have to use an external display?

If you want the easy way you could always install FreeDOS
freedos.org/

And find a word processor for it (there were plenty of them for DOS)

Though I really do believe that you would cripple yourself.

I can hear a faint clank, or something like that coming from my hdd. It happens randomly and it's not constant. Should I back up my shit? It's a seagate :(

Are there safe copies of Bonzi Buddy? I want to try it out.

use a diagnostic tool and see if anything is wrong with the SMART

Are there waifu desktop assistants already?

I checked with some tools yesterday and they all said it was in perfect condition, only one program was showing 87% health.

how do i get a file with a bad filename out of a read only drive on windows?

ive got an ext4 partition mounted via doxbox, and i need some files off it that contain invalid characters which makes windows shit the bed whenever it so much as looks at them. i need to take these files and put them on another drive with a proper filename.

My Oneplus X has been buggy lately. Apps won't load and sometimes the entire phone needs to be rebooted for things to work.
Would it be worth rooting the phone and putting another OS on there? Or would factory resetting solve this?
The phone's storage is about 92% full, though I can't view the folders/files that are taking up all this space.

What is the story behind Bonzi Buddy?

Does anyone have a decent build for a mini itx?
I would like to replace my bulky desktop for something a lot smaller for daily use

Malware for your computer in exchange of giving you a personal assistant

Could anyone recommend a good reference python book? I don't need introduction to programming or introduction to python. I'm more interested in advanced stuff you can do in python in the pythonic way.

Shame you blurred your s/n, was just going to hack your drive...

>fag

>open thread, very intelligent, well constructed OP
>feel like contributing to answers
>see more stupid answers than stupid questions
mong, if you are here waiting for an answer to your stupid question, replying with a stupid answer to other's questions while you wait is seriously not okay

I'm behind 7 firewalls

Is there a way to get the thumbnail view on Ubuntu? I finally got rid of Windows on my Dad's computer and the not having a thumbnail view when uploading pictures is his only complaint.

Best way to make a gif out of an After Effects vector animation?

Rendering as mp4 then importing frames into Photoshop doesn't work, PS keeps throwing tantrums because the gif would be "too large" (~2MB).

Or at least how do I make a webm behave as a gif on my site, that is, immediate playback, no player, looping etc.

short answer: no
long answer: no, install opensuse with KDE, that's the only way you'll ever get that

How to recover data from possibly dead external HDD ? I don't really know the condition of the drive, but it's not fully working, so in any case what steps could I try to recover pictures etc from it and what software would be the best for the job?

A flash drive and copy paste your shit manually

What's the best browser for android?
>inb4 lightning

eurocuck here
what's the best budget mid tower case ? I'd like if it had at least magnetic dust filters

>eurocuck
SHARKOON BW9000
There are white/black/windowed/windowless versions.

How do I disable this shit? It came with classic m enu

How do I check if a website is using the 'browser-safe color palette'?
It's for an assignment and I don't know what would show if the CSS is using it. I'm presuming no modern website supports it but want to be sure.

The only way I have to get data into my PowerMac 6100 is through CDs or Floppies. I haven't tried floppies yet, but would I need some kind of program to read Mac floppies on Linux or does it just work?

When I ssh to my mpd server and start ncmpcpp, utf-8 displays correctly.
However, if I run "ssh -t servername ncmpcpp",
utf doesn't display properly.
What's happening?

pic related.