/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Previously: /t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Search for software by category: linuxlinks.com/Software/, directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
Search alternatives to common applications: alternativeto.net/, linuxalt.com/
Themes, artwork, and more: opendesktop.org/
Desktop environments and window managers: xwinman.org/
Distro search: distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All

Computers preloaded with GNU/Linux and libre firmware: gnu.org/links/companies.html
Have an idea for a new software/feature? Want to make bucks by making free software?: bountysource.com/

News: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home, webupd8.org/, linuxjournal.com/, lwn.net/
Gaming news: gamingonlinux.com/, linuxgameconsortium.com/

Learn the command line by playing: mprat.org/Terminus/
Learn what a specific command is for:
$ man
$ info
$ help
Don't know what to look for? $ apropos
For advanced users: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros): wiki.archlinux.org, wiki.gentoo.org

Learn more about Free Software: gnu.org/
/fglt/'s website: fglt.nl/
/fglt/'s copypasta collection: p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Other urls found in this thread:

archwomen.org/
tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
timmurphy.org/2010/05/19/checking-for-empty-string-in-bash/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Looking at his outputs, he doesnt quite have a separate 'root' partition. assuming what I saw is a bootable drive, he has one parition which is /boot and then another partition which is 'everything else'...

Is this an accurate assumption?

Person with the trouble here.
results show the same thing.

I should add that I went retard when I added Ubuntu. I installed GRUB on /dev/sda2 which had the Windows stuff. But my Ubuntu install was on /dev/sdb6.

first for systemd

so GRUB has to be installed at /boot (/boot/efi if your bios is UEFI). So this means sda2 is your boot partition.

This is the partition you wish to fix grub on?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. GRUB was installed on /dev/sda2 which is NTFS and has all my Windows stuff. It's the partition Windows boots from.

First for freedom.

First for Source Mage,

So this 30 second cooldown is really annoying me. I hate waiting to type. Im guessing you allowed ubuntu to perform the installation for you. Have you simply tried re-running the Ubuntu auto-install simply keeping your existing partitions? this way your Grub will be reinstalled for you.

If your not handy with linux installing/fixing GRUB yourself can be a pain, especially if you use UEFI boot, which most computers do now adays

how do I get my desktop to look like this?

The main issue is that I had an NTFS partition on sdb which has precious photos on it that I want to recover. I'm fairly certain that installing over it would lead to those photos being deleted.

poo on it

i3-gaps and a nice terminal colour scheme

Reposting this from the last thread one last time because I need help

Can anyone help me out with running Steam on Arch? I can't seem to run it as a normal user. Anytime I run either steam, steam-runtime, or steam-native, I just get dozens of the same permission denied errors for every action it would normally take during startup. I just installed it normally using pacman from the official repositories. I did try running it once as the root user and I had no issues.

I am not sure if you guys could help me.
I am searching for info on how logging works on linux. I understand that sometimes it depends on each application.

But ultimately is there any way to learn more about log daemons and how OS handles all that?

screen or tmux and why

probably you need to create a group for steam, search what permission to do what you need, and assign your regular user to that group

screen, better features although people disagree on the default configuration, like the blinking light

if you want bells and whistles use byobu along screen

Why did you pussy out and removed the LINUXCHIX link, OP?

;_;

Retard with the broken installation here. I'm going to install Kubuntu on the free 25G partition I remembered I had on /dev/sda1. Wish me luck.

good luck

good luck

why not just lignux?

GNU/Lignux*

To clarify. I should install the bootloader (which for Kubuntu is GRUB, right?) on /dev/sda2 right? Where I had it before?

guys, literally nobody ever reads the op pasta
stop the drama and delet the whole spammy thing

thread title is enough, maybe make some "special editions" like /dpt/

my 2 cents

just because you don't doesn't mean other newfriends don't

*** Keep the Spam / Useful Informations Edition ***

the dudes at /t/ want to have a word with you

maybe instead of posting retarded question that you see people are reading the pasta and solving things for themselves :^) just my 3 cents (3>2)

this, thanks to some user posting the grymoire I found about that great page

can you add this link to the OP please?
archwomen.org/

>sources:
>[1.] "my anal cavity"

if wymen are equal to men, why do they need a special dedicated website?

OP here, I would like but I am out. Is a bit polemical.

wyrmin*
GNU/men*

>the grymoire
This website is absolutly epic.
If anyone ITT want's to learn wizardry about sed, awk and grep - check this shit out right now.

I'm fucking around with sed since 3 years and just learned that you can change delimiters like sed 's#linux#gnu/linux/g'

Because women are stupid and need extra help.

well, last / should be a #

so they are not equal?
but that contradicts their statement that they are equal!

Let me explain. In their sick brains, there is this "privilege" thing. "privilege" is stuff you get when you are born. When you are white, a man and not fat, you have lots of this stuff, but when you are black, a women or retarded, you don't, and because you don't, in order to be equal to white, fit males, you deserve special treatment.

Help! I can't choose between KDE Neon or Kubuntu!

doesn't seem to work unfortunately. got the exact same issue still

Special treatment is an act of honor and should be done because you want it, not because someone if forcing you to do so.

so that's what they mean by privilege
it's more retarded than I thought

the only thing this shit is teaching people is
>well, at least I'm not black, a women or retarded
>my life matters

Sup Forums - Gender Studies

One more post before I take a plunge.

I ran the bootinfoscript and saw that
=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
in partition 97 for .
=> No known boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.
=> Syslinux MBR (4.04 and higher) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc.

This means I should install GRUB at sda, right? Not sdb (which gparted showed as having no partition table), right?

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Arch Linux

he said lightweight

Puppy Linux

just because they don't needlessly split every package doesn't mean it's not lightweight

What are some fun terminal tricks?

yetris

Lads, I have just acquired a new XPS13.

Do I install Debian Sid or Fedora 25?

PCLinuxOS my guy

X11 rainbows!
$ while :; do xrandr --output $(xrandr | awk '/ connected/ { print $1 }') --gamma 0.$((RANDOM%9)):0.$((RANDOM%9)):0.$((RANDOM%9)); done
this turns the colors back to normal
xrandr --output $(xrandr | awk '/ connected/ { print $1 }') --gamma 0.0:0.0:0.0

cat /dev/urandom

contributing
X11 Seizure
while sleep .1; do xcalib -a -i; done

cmatrix

I want to rice and I have the necessary knowledge to do it but I lack the aesthetic taste. How does one gain it, who do I need to sell my soul to?

$(echo "I

110111101101000001000000111100101101111011101010010111000101110001011100010000001100010011101000111011100111010001000000101010001001000010001010010000001000111010000010100110101000101

xrandr --output $(xrandr | awk '/ connected/ { print $1 }') --off

kek

I actually was in that situation a while back when fucking with xrandr. Took me a while to CTRL+ALT+F1.

did anyone ever managed to make something like flux/redshift with pure x11 hackery?

redshift is pure x11 hackery

This guy tried and ended up with a simple C program (which is pretty nice and suckless): tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature

How do I use grep to get only the "fn_pg283.html" from the line below?
Basically I need a way to get everything after (but not including) the forward slash, and then stopping (but also including) the "L" (lowercase of course but I capitalized it so it's easier to read).

echo '' | grep -o fn_pg283.html

$ echo '' | grep -Po '(?

It needs to be universal. I have multiple lines of text like this one but with slight differences. For example:

nice

Actually, to make it more secure:
$ echo '' | grep -Po '(?

Awesome. Both seem to work for all of my lines. Thank you.
What exactly about the second suggestion is more secure?

Just in case you get a line with a slash before xhtml.

Ah, I see. Thanks

interesting

why would I make another GNU/Linux distro?

when i try to kill a process with top after typing the PID it asks
>Send pid 4449 signal [15/sigterm]
what does that mean?

Why is this so funny? I can't stop internally laughing.

Yo guys. I'm trying to cat out a bunch of files based on the contents of different file. The different file's contents is literally just the names to the files I'm trying to cat out. I was trying something like this...

cat /location/of/files/to/cat/$file

...but it doesn't work. How can I cat the contents of $file and then feed them into the end of the command where "$file" is in the above line?

>feminists are stupid and contradict themselves
huh

Anyone? You guys have been very helpful so far.

so cat /location/of/files/to/cat/$file returns names of those files right?
you could just use xargs, would make it pretty simple
cat /location/of/files/to/cat/$file | xargs -n 1 cat

not enough info

what distro is "bootinfoscript" from? are you having trouble with booting? where do you want your bootloader to be?

while read filename; do cat "$filename"; done < list.txt

sudo rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Need help.
The problem is, I have 3 partitions:
sda1 for ESP, sda2 for / and sda3 for home (didn't format it)
After rebooting system fails to boot.
Previous system (Arch) worked fine with UEFI.
Pic related.

The system I'm trying to install is Devuan Jessie

This worked perfectly, with a little customizing. Thanks!

Is there an alternative to Adobe acrobat for GNU/Linux that support QR code?

The company I'm applying to require you to fill a PDF form, that generate QR code containing the required information.

So I moved to testing and this happened.

How do I fix the lack of margins?

I'm trying to make an easy script which executes a command only if a certain process isn't running.
For example,

if [ps -e | grep firefox ]
then

fi

How exactly do should I test for a no return when firefox isn't running?

>
C R I N G E D

[ is a command and needs a space

In general:
timmurphy.org/2010/05/19/checking-for-empty-string-in-bash/
In your particular case:
if [ `pgrep -c firefox` -gt 0 ]; then
echo ">>>/reddit/";
fi