You don't need more than 8gb of ram they said

>you don't need more than 8gb of ram they said
>4gb is plenty they said
when will this meme stop?

how's rust running for you?

but there's a rule of thumb that, er:

if I have 4gb of ram, the OS and software will use 2gb

if I have 8gb of ram and the same software is open and the OS, it will take maybe 3.5gb or 4gb of ram. It's just how things work bud

The "you dont need more than X amount of RAM" meme is just from poorfags when they look at RAM during its yearly price surge
When will people realize RAM goes down every year and 16 GB of RAM is only like $80?

If you don't gayme or run emulation software 4 GBs is indeed enough

4 GB isn't even enough for more than a few tabs in a web browser

>tfw 32gb
>tfw still getting very uncomfortably high utilization % with high resolution Quixel projects

Welp.
Good thing I hopped onto to the X99 platform and bought 16gb modules to start.

It's actually fine for a browser, just not a browser AND a bloated game at the same time (*cough* Minecraft Forge *cough*)

I have 4 gbs in my T410 laptop and that is obviously a lie
There are still low end laptops with 2 gbs, you think people use them for what

Looked up what Quixel is, I get the impression it's mostly spamming mmap everywhere. Are you able to look at two things of the same size w/o hitting swap?

It's poor optimization primarily to blame. Instead of making games and programs less RAM hungry, they are made to require more and some overhead. It's advised to get more than the minimum because better to have and not need that to need and not have, right?
That being said, it's your own damn fault if you don't get enough in the first place.

its been running pretty guuud. no real issues with it though only played it about a month and a half. yeah i've noticed years ago that software will use more ram if more ram is available. its up to debate if it improves performance, but ultimately, it "doesn't" go to waste. then on linux with systemd, /tmp is a tmpfs (ramdisk) and by default allocates half your ram (but will shrink if ram gets low, its allocation is low priory. "used but available"). nice thing about it is that you can easily toss stuff into there. such as gcc build environment. you can set what you compile to set its cache in /tmp instead of your hard drive. it improves performance since its able to swap back and forth during compile time from ram instead of your hard drive, and doesn't trash your drive. really improves compile times.
i've seen 16gb kits go as low as $40 on sale. zero excuse to have such low amounts of ram.

why are you playing video games you fucking child

>When will people realize RAM goes down every year and 16 GB of RAM is only like $80?
It;s over $100 at the moment and going up because smartphones are using ddr4 now. It should go down in a couple of months, probably around fall before negro day before Saturday.

>i've seen 16gb kits go as low as $40 on sale.
Where and when? It was super cheap in spring of 2016, now ddr4 2400mhz is over $95 and any speeds above that are over $100 for about 3-4 months now.

(You)

RAM prices are ridiculously high since October 2016. current forecast says it will continue until Q3 2017. Thanks Samsung and Hynix.

just a few months ago. built my pc in june 2016 and my corsair 32gb quad channel kit costed $130 off amazon. that sweet free two day shipping with prime.

No need for systemd here, this shit's dynamic here too:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted
tmpfs 3.9G 4.9M 3.9G 1% /tmp

8GB here and haven't really needed more at this stage, but if I do need more I've got 2 slots free to shove in a couple more 4GB DDR4-2133 sticks

As for gcc, you can use the -pipe flag if you want to skip the filesystem altogether

Other upsides of having extra RAM is your OS gives you a bigger disk cache so you don't have to thrash the disk as much

shut up, im not looking for yous
just want op to acknowledge that he requires lots of ram because he is a stupid baby who plays games

Damn that's nice. Love the free 2 day shipping and sometimes even free 1 day shipping. Got a safe a couple days ago to hold my gun and 1 back up hdd.

Eh... I haven't played anything in months except for a flight sim, but more RAM does have benefits; in rendering and CAD, at least in my experience using Solidworks and various image editing software.

>stupid baby who plays games
>calling someone a stupid baby on a anime site

Anime is for men.

Rust has a memory leak since like 20 months ago. I once played it for 11 days straight and I had to stop because it was using 124 of my 128 GB.

Jesus, what the fuck?

It literally is.

aNiME
AI MEN

>11 days straight
11 full days straight? never exiting? no sleep?

Exactly that. As long as you keep it running it will consume more and more steadily until you have to stop. You can usually play for like 5 hours and 8GB should be enough for Windows 7 + the game, so it's no biggie; also the devs probably have no idea about how to fix it or what causes it kek.

I slept IRL with a wireless headset but left the game running. I was expecting a surprise attack on my home by some kids who claimed to own the snow parts of the map.

>You can usually play for like 5 hours and 8GB should be enough for Windows 7 + the game
op here, and my pic i was only in the game for like 15 minutes. with only steam + discord in the background. so maybe 800mb tops by my entire system and the rest rust.

That meme was perfectly fine and correct in 2012 when it was current.

did they ever attack?

MEN watch aNiME!
Reeeeeeeeeeeeee you're waifu is garbáge!

Probably somewhere in the game's code and devs are unable to sift through it or too lazy to care.

Yes. I played during the nights and raided their shit while they were asleep; Monday at 5 in the morning central time is my usual choice, because I know that people have school/work and can't afford to be playing at that hour. If you ever come to your house and find yourself naked with an inventory full of rocks and all your crates full of piles of 1 unit of charcoal, you're probably gonna think that it's a horrible bug that destroyed all your possessions; it actually was me blowing a hole into your place and rebuilding it after ghosting you. I never kill my victims or destroy anything.

lmao nice bullshit OP
do you have more pics though

You are stupid. Don't confuse cached memory with committed memory. While you COULD go 4GB on a single browser, if I open 20 tabs on the heaviest tabs I can find Chrome goes about 2GB usage.
Learn what Committed Memory is and what is common Cache.

What simple stupid people don't get is that Cache memory has nothing to do with Committed memory. They see their cache memory on their 16GB shitlord PC being high and they sperg that they actually REQUIRED that. What a bunch of utter bullshit, Cache memory is 99% of the time actually completely useless when you are already inside the context of certain software.
It's the committed memory that matters.
Cache is like "minor help *IF* I change context later on".

>>/r9k/

>nice bullshit
what's bullshit about it? i'm running a bare bones openbox setup.

Google Chrome is enough of a reason to have 16GB.

I cant even read your stupid fucking weeb cli shit

>Other upsides of having extra RAM is your OS gives you a bigger disk cache so you don't have to thrash the disk as much
i was curious to see how much was currently being used for disk cache and checked. 17gb currently being utilize for disk cache.

>osx
>99999 tabs

gee what the fuck is wrong here

Given enough tabs, depending on their content, not even all the ram you can get will be enough, besides extensions also take space
btw >leddit
gtfo

>kernel_task 1.07 GB
lmao osx blows

What is wrong with having over 9000 tabs open on OSX?
>le leddit memay

you forgot calling me a faggot for using a mac, breh.

>32gb RAM
>still creates a swap memory partition
kek

>all that NSA memory consumption in the kernel_task process

The kernel swaps out inactive processes to make room for more cache
Suspend-to-disk also needs a swap file

Now some real talk: The truly sad thing about Apple is that they still ship all of their computers iwth 8GB Ram in their default configuration. I have a non retina 2012 MBP that I could upgrade to 16GB and, since one is likely to buy a mac for 4+ years of usage, 16GB is the bare minimum these days.

>Compiling on Gentoo
>CPU usage 100%
>Ram 1.4/4.0
Pretty comfy desu

I have 20+ Firefox tabs open and multiple console programs running, and have yet to break 2GiB. Gaming and anti-freedom services like Discord are not valid reasons for needing more RAM.

>The kernel swaps out inactive processes to make room for more cache
Change your swappiness value, because that's useless bullshit. 10 is good from the default 60.

16GB is the bear minimum anyone should have in 2017. 32GB is preferable, 24GB is sufficient.