Serious question: What are the dis/advantages to using Linux? I'm genuinely curious

Serious question: What are the dis/advantages to using Linux? I'm genuinely curious.

Advantage: It's nice to code on
Disadvantage: It's not the default OS to make (games | office programs | fancy shit you'd normally use a mac for) for

There's other ups and downs, those are just off the top of my head

Some games and content creating software not available

Oh yeah, another pair:

Disadvantage: Some printer drivers are missing or not part of foomatic or hplip
Advantage: In all other cases it's really fucking easy to install printer drivers

advantages:
>the easiest platform to develop for
>the easiest platform to manage packages
>a platform that is very hard to fuck up
>the most customizable os you have ever seen
>the only stable os
>secure as fuck if you do it right

disadvantages:
>can be hard to get used to if you used something else first
>the modularity seems to confuse new idiots who are used to doing something only 1 way (ie. windows file explorer)

seriously, don't use linux if you aren't willing to google errors
if you are the kind of idiot who rings any tech support hotline he can find to ask someone else to fix their problem, linux is not for you
..neither are computers at all actually

>you will probably need to run windows in a vm for a bit of software

another advantage to linux is that it's very transparent
one of the thing i like about running linux on servers and desktops is that if something isnt working, 99% of the time it is my fault and can be fixed by a bit of logic

if a component of windows isnt working properly, you run the repair cd and pray

Advantages: Amazing package manager for non-graphical software.

Disadvantages: Graphical software.

If you use software outside the terminal, use OSX.

con: it doesn't simply work for games
pro: it most simply works for everything else

Linux works perfectly fine for the games natively supported, and wine adds even more games to that list. Obviously it can't compete with Windows at the moment for pure selection of games, but gaming on Linux gets better every day

Unless you have issues with drivers for your graphics card, that's a whole other story

Drivers for anything on any os is easy

Linux is Reddit the OS.

+: Just twerks, fun to use, free and fast
-: Autistic userbase

It never fucking works

Advantages: Ricing, customizability, you can potentially learn new things. It's also pretty fast and generally lighter on system resources

Disadvantages: Stability, lack of software, lack of any cohesive direction (everything always feels unfinished and buggy), the community

>>a platform that is very hard to fuck up
ayy lmao

after you've used it for 5-10 years, gone from a "full" DE, to a stripped down WM, to a tiling WM, gotten used to basic Unix utilities and system administration, riced everything until nobody can even understand what's on your screen, you can't really go back to using anything else anymore

>Advantages
-It's free as in free beer
-Makes repurposing old hardware possible
-Fixing problems is (in my opinion at least) a whole lot easier on linux than on Windows or OSX

>Disadvantages
-use it for too long and it will show in your body language
-Windows and OSX computers will become unbearable to use

dis: It's not OSX

advantages: It's not Windows

My printer doesn't work on windows 10, it does on Ubuntu.

The good are sexual packet managers, development compatibility, customization and control (ricing, configuration, all that) , choice between diff flavors of your OS, and not being a fag for using windows

The bad are techtards will have no idea wtf they are doing because that shits not made for the generic user

Advantage: it lets users do wherever they want.
Disadvantage: it lets users do wherever they want.
Unless you know what you're doing, having complete freedom usually means you'll fuck something up. The same reason you don't let kids use sharp knives, they'll cut themselves and cry, probably gaining aichmophobia. Since we live in a world where only a few people are patient and willing to invest some time learning new things, Linux on desktop will never be relevant. I'll still use it but I realize people are too cucked by Microsoft. It's a shame that the most popular OS isn't open source and it's secondary function is to spy on people and imprison them into it's environment.

Checked the tripquads

Talking about GNU/Linux, honestly it's a system from nerds for nerds.

Same here

exactly

Advantages:
Highly customizable, but many distros come with sane defaults so it's not forced on you
Much better than Windows to code on (even with Windows 10 having ubuntu embedded in it), a little better than Mac
Disadvantages:
Fairly unpolished in many aspects
Many seemingly trivial bugs can often go years without a fix

There are no cons in comparison to Windows or OSX.

All anyone can think of in this thread is stuff up to the shitty developers who only make Windows/OSX stuff.

Advantages:
Installing programs is super easy
It's easy to develop on
Updates when I want, rarely needs to be restarted
Never forces me to do anything

Disadvantages
I get weird random errors from time to time, like sound not working on fresh install of lubuntu, cups being removed during certain updates, and today the brightness controls wouldn't work on my laptop. Like I had the brightness all the way turned up, but my screen was still dim as hell. Next time it turned it on it was back to normal. Little shit like that is super annoying.

>shitty developers who only make Windows/OSX stuff
You mean employed programmers?

Most of whom are shit and more so the ones who work at Microsoft and Apple?

Linux software is dogshit. Deal with it.