What went wrong, Sup Forums? 1440p was supposed to change the game, being the "Magical Sweetspot" for gaming...

What went wrong, Sup Forums? 1440p was supposed to change the game, being the "Magical Sweetspot" for gaming, but capable of being great all-in-one monitors in the high end, yet there is literally not a SINGLE 1440p monitor with: 144hz+ refresh rate, 4ms or less response time, great color accuracy and a good contrast ratio, please, PLEASE feel free to try proving otherwise.

>TN Panels
Pay what you want, TN is TN, and a high end TN monitor still leaves a LOT to be desired when it comes to picture quality, be that because of poor color accuracy or bad contrast ratio. Aditionally, its undeniably very susceptibility to dead pixels, not to mention the viewing angle issues. I can't justify spending $500+ on a TN panel.

>IPS Panels
WE DUN IT BOYS, LOOK AT THAT PICTURE QUALITY, LOOK AT THE PG279Q, ITS GOT EVERYTHING!!...or so it seemed for a brief moment, until you open a movie or hit a black loading screen. Backlight bleeding is the crusher of dreams, though it seems you can get lucky on the IPS lottery and get an acceptable panel after "JUST" 2-3+ RMA's.

>Quantum Dot Panels
This is a meme. stop talking about them, wanabe Apple supercurve monitors with undisclosed refresh rates.

>OLED Panels
WHEN. What the hell is even happening with OLED, one second "its gonna change the entire scene" the other its back to being developed. They might save us eventually, assuming they finally hit the market and arent sold at gimmick level prices.

/vent off; whats your thoughts on the current state of 1440p all-in-one monitors?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3DgFjCmnARQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mqZMEvpgdQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mje_fmayu0k
lightbleedtest.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nothing. You're just an incredibly autistic faggot who'll never be happy with anything.

'least im not autistic enough to respond to a thread after only having read for 5 seconds.

still less disappointing than u r to your dad

mfw I got an MG279Q with no backlight bleed on my first shot

Good on ya mate, hopefully it stays that way.

these are sad times indeed, where you're LUCKY to get the product you paid for.

IPS is definitely the way to go right now.

I would buy one if the prices weren't so fucking ridiculous, the PG279Q entered the market at £900 and now retails for £700. Second hand is a massive risk as people sell of panels with horrible backlight bleed.

There were quite a few interesting releases at CES this year, hopefully we start seeing stuff on the consumer market relatively soon, I can't wait much longer...

I tried checking out this exact monitor. Brought a coat and covered the monitor in the middle of a Microcenter just to see how it looked in the dark. I currently use dual PG278Qs.

It looked blurry, like really horrible, which might be because we had to use a HDMI cable. Ignoring that, even in a dark environment the corners were still glowing like a christmas tree.

I'm all for improvement and would love "better colors", but I just find the PG278Q to look great and the PG279Q to be the Christmas edition.

>gaymur problems

How does it feel to be mentally 14?

Despite the flaws of IPS I'm perfectly happy with my 27" 1440p Dell
gonna last me until OLED is affordable.
paying money for a gaymur TN is retarded unless you are a professional FPS gamer

I wanna be a real boy. Not some grown-up who does nothing but reads books or watches football. I hate football Sup Forums.

>implying sports isn't cancer
Not justifying gaming either, but following sports is every bit of a useless time sink.
Talk to a baseball fan, they've got weapons grade autism.

I need advice Sup Forums. What is acceptable entertainment?

Go actually look at the TN panels yourself in a microcenter

they look fine. still expensive

Is there any ips monitor you can get without ghosting ?

Installing gentoo

And will soon be outdated with the release of the 4k models... when computers can actually handle 4k.

fuck you i got my 1070 so i'm getting the sweet spot resolution for a 1070 "1440p @ 100 + Hz"

Well, even a Titan X Pascal / 4790k combo wouldn't be enough for 4k. Adobe Premiere transitional effects result in slowdowns, Doom pretty much slows to a crawl, and I can barely use Dosbox. This is with those dual 1440p monitors, which translates out to one 4k.

>RMAing because of a black loading screen
castrate yourself you dumbfuck nigger

>>IPS Panels
>though it seems you can get lucky on the IPS lottery

The Asus is infamous for by far the worst QC when it comes to monitors with that panel, retard.
I have the AOC and it's perfect. Pricey for a monitor, but I don't see myself changing it anytime soon.

I love my IPS 1440p monitor.

Entertainment is wastefull, you should be working on code, contributing to freeware, or installing gentoo.

What if I install gentoo to play games on it?

>And will soon be outdated with the release of the 4k models

Reliable 144 Hz 4k gaming is 3+ GPU generations away.
Volta was struggling to maintain 60 FPS in Doom, which is extremely well optimized, favors the architecture and is almost a year old already.
There are games today where a 1080 won't give you consistent 60 FPS at 1080p.

Guess i will have to wait few more years before i change my 1080p IPS monitor.

>Volta was struggling to maintain 60 FPS in Doom
We have not seen shit about Volta yet. You mean Vega?

Of course, sorry.

Vega is clearly going to end up stronger than what was demoed, or else AMD would have just made a doubled Polaris 10 and still had a smaller chip. It's already confirmed >2x geometry per clock, 2x more bandwidth, and >2x more total FLOPS than the RX 480.

It might well take their driver team over a year to actually get shaders to run at their peak potential ("fine wine"), but the card has the fundamental specs to theoretically compete with TXP in at least some games.

The funny thing about demoing Doom on Vega is that if it really does have a binning rasterizer like Maxwell/Pascal, it will lose it status as "special favorite" game for AMD. Tiago Sousa's idTech6 renderer forces locality at the software level through volumetric binning of screen space, sending shading batches to the driver pre-segmented, where HW binning doesn't provide any gains.

I don't care about 144hz, but I do care about color. Quantum Dot is fucking impressive in both color and brightnese. I spent >300 and got AdobeRGB coverage. It falls a little short on greens but DisplayCAL shows 99.98% coverage after calibration.

>AdobeRGB
Who the fuck cares? Do you use photoshop for a living? Chances are your media content looks like shit right now and not true to the intended color.

QD is impressive but completely missing its potential in these early implementations, i.e. as more saturated backlights or color filters for LCD panels.

Wake me up when we actually have emissive printed QDLED displays that actually do all the shit that OLED tried and failed to do.

> refresh rates in the kHz if you can drive them fast enough
> perfect black levels
> perfect viewing angle consistency
> super wide gamut
> don't turn yellow in a year or two after all the blue LEDs burn out

The TN PG278Q had 10-but color, equal to my friends PG279Q and way more color accurate than my laptop IPS screen. It's also $500 compared to the $700 PG279Q. No dead pixels, but that's hardly relevant to the panel and will leave you fucked if you have less than 5 anyways
Quantam dot is good shit
OLED still burns in and will obviously have disgusting refresh rate

its a fuckin struggle m8, seems like the 2 PG27 monitors roughly equal chances of being shit on arrival, Quantam doesnt have the refresh rate for gaming, and yeah, OLED is currently even worse

unironically at the point of reccomending people to bail on 1440p for now and just hang at 1080 for the moment, im honestly confused theres no new Asus/Acer/Dell IPS panel that doesnt suck, its been 2+ years, must be some deal going on.

Errybody just skipping straigth to ultra-shit or 4k

the only smart post

op, quit chasing after every little improvement. This shit is moving too fast to upgrade, for the sake of upgrading. Right now, you want 1440p, tomorrow you want 4k, then you want to upgrade again because there's a 4k OLED panel, etc...you gotta know when to stop and actually be content your shit for a while.

> heard about Asus QC
> ordered PG278Q online
> tested, no dead pixels, spent a bunch of time looking for a flaw and couldn't find any
> orders a second one to put beside first one
> tested, no dead pixels, still no flaws on either
> back-light bleed is barely existent in one and non-existent in the other

I should try the lottery. I must be the luckiest person in the world.

I disagree on 2 fronts, firstly, i think everyone has a right to be upset with the backhanded bullshit going on right now, people buying $700 monitors and getting a piece of trash in place of what was promised.

secondly, this is purely a discussion thread, if you arent interested in discussing the state of 1440p monitors, why the fuck are you here trying to bring me down, senpai?

im glad my thread inspired you to share your opinion, but i hardly see much value in his and your own posts. Positve energy man, we all here killing time.

>mfw I have the best 1080p TN panel out
>mfw it beats my $250 IPS one

>read, post that disagrees with me, but doesn't call me a nigger, faggot, autist, etc...wants to actually discuss things
>checks url to see I'm still on Sup Forums
>double take
I'm speechless.

I apologize senpai

bro, i can order a PG279Q from Germany for $450 but probably wouldnt be able to RMA it for free, the temptation is there, after seeing some good ones, but the odds wouldnt be in my favor...i always lose when i gamble, too heh.

This really is 4han history... wow.

Positive energy...Sup Forums... the world doesn't seem so terrible now.

we good, brother, enjoy your weekend.

Actually... I always win when I gamble. Won $300 recently. Omg guys, I might win the lottery! Thanks Sup Forums for teaching me I have been gifted with an unnatural amount of luck!

up next:
youtube.com/watch?v=3DgFjCmnARQ

>luck

>Not using LG 24GM77

Realistically how long will I have to wait for 4k144hz monitor + single GPU?

Not falling for 60hz 4k.

Alright, when it comes to 144hz the Fury X, 980 ti, 1070 the 1080 and the two Titan X were the only capable cards to run most games in 80-144hz in 1080p

I'm having an R9 390 with a 144hz Panel, and I can only play Rocket League and other Competive games at that framerate.

But remember, the 290/290x/390-390x/970/980 was 1-2 Generation before, and those were considered the high ends.

I'm pretty sure you can run 4K 144hz most competitive games even with a GTX 1070.

I would say 2020 is the year when 4K 144hz will be relevant

I also need to note that while Competive players could use 144hz@4K, I'm pretty sure the next big thing in that regard will be 240Hz@1080p because its reduces any kinda lag

FIFTY TWO POSSIBILITIES
it's not hard if you pay attention, but unfortunately paying attention is illegal

I have a 60hz 1440p monitor

the black levels are indeed shit but it's good other than that

I'll hold on to it until oled becomes useful

stop being autistic

youtube.com/watch?v=mqZMEvpgdQ4

Is this worth $330? For example the VQ24 144hz asus cost $290

>1440p
>4K
A bunch of memes if you ask me.

fpbp

>24"
>1080p
>TN

>Best TN panel on market
>Muh 1440p

>the least smelly poo in the loo

What an achievement.

>Muh Blacklightbleed IPS
>Muh Washed out blacks

He was pretty much spot on. OP doesn't understand that there's a give and take to literally every choice of what technology to use. Tape drives are still better for archival than HDD and SSD, CRTs have better contrast ratio than anything but OLED and so on. OP can REEEE as hard as he wants but it doesn't change that there is no one perfect solution to any problem and you have to perform a balancing act.

>using tech so shitty you literally have to put your head in a vice to prevent color shifting when looking at it

idk whose opinions you are projecting onto me, but if you'd actually read both our posts, and agree that theres nothing wrong with the state of 1440p monitors, even though i gave several examples, i'll just write you off as him samefaggin in a third attempt, but i'll keep responding with reason mate, so keep trying :^).

>Nothing wrong with IPS monitors not going through proper quality control, leading to people recieving borderline unuseable $700 monitors

but i mean, if you consider that "not an issue", that's your opinion and i appreciate you sharing it.

Wait, there's quantum dot display out already?
I only know of some Samsung TVs that's basically an IPS/QD hybrid.

Lol, you're telling me to go buy a €500 monitor when I can barely have decent settings on 1080p in newer games? See you again in 5 years when GPUs can actually handle that shit and the monitors aren't expensive as shit.

no, im not telling you that either, in fact i literally said the opposite...

you arent making bad points, they just dont really have anything to do with the posts you're responding to.

aditionally, if you think 1440p gaming isnt doable, you really must be pretending. surely? im too tired i dont even know at this point

1440p + solid 144 fps is still nothing but a dream for most new releases that don't look like shit, even on top tier cards.

lmfao, did you just hit me up after 30 minutes with a "less than 144 fps = literally unplayable"?

even if G-sync wasnt a thing, that'd still be a pretty silly statement.

idk man, not convinced you have the knowledge to be the voice of authority in this thread man, no hate.

>paying for shit that you can't even fully utilize
Maybe you should just buy a fucking Mac and call it a day.

I have an MG279Q, IPS is fine mate you need to chill

The monitors are the same thing: LED/QD backlight with an IPS panel.

literally nobody has any idea what that's supposed to mean, so ill just assume thats you conceding that you cant actually argue your point, a gtx 1080 will run 1440p games at max, no sweat, and the entire point of g-sync is to prevent screen tear, surely you can use google?

your spaghetti is spilling everywhere, just stop typing mate.

OLED is a poor quality desktop display technology
it's bright so you phoneposters like that you can use it outdoors, but that is its only pro over the common desktop displays

the IPS lottery is real, that cant be argued, check out this video or just go directly to the link in his description:

youtube.com/watch?v=mje_fmayu0k

like i said in the post, if you get a good IPS monitor, you can have minimal BLB, and it might not even annoy you in the first place. personally, i'd be annoyed for sure, imagine playing Inside and seeing your bleed the entire game.

its not the end of the world, but cmon man, PG279Q is still $900 in Denmark, surely thats not reasonable, no?

i want to believe, man, let me dream, OLED is far from where it needs to be, the refresh rate alone might not ever get a proper fix, Quantum looks like its not gonna have high refresh rates, so it seems like we're stuck until they make proper IPS panels?

Why are you so fucking hell bent on the ASUS, Jesus Christ?
Their QC is garbage and everyone who has done even basic research knows this. The Acer, AOC and Eizo alternatives are better, and with the exception of the Eizo also cheaper.

[Citation needed]

You know what, suit yourself you assburger.
It's obvious you don't really want a good display because you like to bitch on Sup Forums that everything is terrible.
What do I know, I just scoured the Internet for feedback on high refresh rate 1440p IPS monitors for months before buying one.

down boy, you brought up the fact that "basic research proves X" i just asked for a single source lmao, easy on the personal attacks, definitely not ruining your case or anything, nope.

>Their QC is garbage and everyone who has done even basic research knows this.

>What do I know, I just scoured the Internet for feedback on high refresh rate 1440p IPS monitors for months before buying one.

>Can't link a single one of his numerous sources

idk mate, what DO you know?

Oh, sorry, wait, I'm just gonna go copy all these links I saved during that time in case I had to prove my point to a guy on Sup Forums in the future.
Yeah, no. I guess that means you "win", i.e. you can keep bitching on the internet about how shit these monitors are while I actually play in 1440p at 165Hz. :^)

nice one mate, you've moved the goalpost to the point your argument boils down to "yeah, i could prove you wrong, but you're just some guy on Sup Forums, so even though i spent the last 2 hours trying, i actually never cared :^)"

feel free to atempt to cut your loses and run, you've definitely convinced all of us that you COULD argue your case, you just dont feel like it.

Enjoy playing at 1440p i guess? not sure how thats relevant to anything either, but that seems to be a repeating theme here, cheers.

except the pg279q IS the perfect monitor

still here? so much for not caring, huh? :^)

I must have won the lottery then, never noticed anything even close to that on my monitor. Also I'm from Australia, prices are fucked up here too

Good on ya mate, or maybe it doesnt even bother you? if you really care enough, you can test at sites like lightbleedtest.com/ literally just need to fill your screen with pitch black and turn off your lights in your room.

>Buy PG279Q
>Check for BLB/Dead pixels
>Return if too poor quality
>Repeat step 2/3 until satisfied

I bought SIX PG279Qs, the sixth one ended up being perfect.

My mate bought two last month and they were perfect? Maybe it's fixed or he's super lucky.

FPBP

/thread