Some HN cringe

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13619465

some highlights:

>The few people I know to be whole-enchilada smart know ordinary people better than ordinary people know themselves.
- jstewartmobile

>As a smart person, I see things a different way.
- sunstealer

>The nail salon workers could use their free time for [curing cancer, fighting hunger or homelessness] if they wanted. They (perhaps with some rare exceptions) don't do it.
- czep

am i the only one who gets this butthurt about the special breed of unchecked cancer HN tends to incubate?

Who fucking cares. Kill yourself.

If YOU won't contribute then YOU K Y S K K Y S

>being this mad
3ironic5me

> t. person who thinks himself just as smart as the people brazenly bragging in the thread but won't say as much in fear of appearing arrogant

more cunning irony, really on point user

Did you just call me stupid? I'm too stupid to tell.

i think you're definitely smart enough to be curing cancer right now, see life's simple and fair enough for everyone that this is a safe deduction of why some people should be considered less intelligent

Ah I recognize that retarded point from the thread. Nice.

so what do you think about it?

I agree with you that it's a bad argument. As you have mentioned before, this assumes that all other circumstances for the two hypothetical people one is comparing are the same; if they aren't, you can't just draw that comparison between them because the ability to fulfill their potential is hampered by other factors: such as upbringing, education, encouraging parents, one's own character etc.

Objective intelligence is just a tool I suppose, but it needs to be used "correctly" (whatever that means in this context) to make the most use of one's own intellect. However that might not necessarily be what you want or think is right for you.

i mean why is it retarded?

I thought Sup Forums was a technology board, why is this here?

So to draw a direct connection to your example: I might be smart enough to be curing cancer right now, but I'm possibly not educated (I don't have parents with a predisposition to encourage me to learn things from that field), motivated (I don't have cancer) or a myriad of other reasons "enough" to actually do it.

>some HN cringe
That whole site is cringeworthy. It's more autistic and insane than Sup Forums. In fact, Sup Forums is pretty normal compared to that leftist shithole that's full of dicksuckers.

do you consider yourself "google smart"?

Yes, definitely. I think I'm not particularly dumb but I attribute most of what other people might find "smart" about me to being able to Google the needed information and make use of it.

>or a myriad of other reasons
this in itself (the fact that its inherently unknown) makes the whole "this is what a smart person is" that is the presupposition for the entire hn thread utterly pointless

I agree. Of course there are some rudimentary signs to guess at a person's potential for "raw intelligence", but this is in most cases not accurate at all and even if it was, that potential would still always be bound to other factors which might make the person very successful/great (in whatever context) or someone completely focused on their own desires and simply not interested in being great.

>leftist shithole that's full of dicksuckers
shh back to Sup Forums my dear, don't derail a valid argument with partisan bigotry

>Sup Forums
fuck off newfag. go back to plebbit or just kys and help the planet.

you're definitely not google-smart, i'm sorry to say

Nice contrast to the rest of the thread, buddy.

are u saying i belong in the trash? your fucking dead kiddo

>compared to that leftist shithole
It's not that HN is a leftist shithole. It's that the comments are basically a version of Facebook's but with better grammar.