Formats that will never go mainstream due to Sup Forums's autism

>formats that will never go mainstream due to Sup Forums's autism

Go.

Other urls found in this thread:

opus-codec.org/comparison/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

VR shit.

G00GLE hyped shit.

Opus is absolutely going to be mainstream. It's backed by Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla, already supported in webm in Chrome and Firefox, and I think maybe Edge too.

It'll be used by anyone who cares about bandwidth and transmits audio, whether or not idiots keep their music in it doesn't matter at all.

???
it's already the standard for various Voice Chats etc.
It's easy to change codecs when you're responsible for both recording and playback. Practically impossible to change when you have no control over clients and have to support legacy clients, which is why MP3 is still the most common exchange format for audio. It's "good enough".
Most companies that can change easily already did.

How good is it compare to OGG and AAC?

You probably mean Vorbis, and very good, especially when you care about performance at a wide range of bitrates.

opus-codec.org/comparison/

It's used by default on YouTube if you're using Chrome.

No. It mostly uses vorbis and .aac

.opus is only used with higher DASH formats on youtube.

nice shilling here

Look pretty good, but as a normie, I don't think normal people would care about this different.
I mean, current quality of YouTube is fine for most of people, because they probably can't tell the difference between an 128kbps AAC file and a FLAC file. Or they are using a $20 earphones.

So I think companies such as Apple, Google, will decide the future of this audio format.

>Go
Why should go ever go mainstream?

the benefit is you can reduce bandwidth for the same quality, quality is good enough already

RIP in peace, Opus.

>No. It mostly uses vorbis and .aac
Vorbis is used with VP8 webm, Opus is used with VP9 webm.

???
like said it's already widely used

Yes, but I probably won't re-encode all my FLAC files to OPUS because 192kbps OGG is fine for me.

Only companies would care about bandwidth. If they use OPUS for their video/audio, customers will accept it even before they realize it was OPUS. So it's all depends on companies.

>it's already the standard for various Voice Chats etc.

Which nobody uses.

.opus is basically a meme format waiting to be replaced by something better.

I wish it was just due to Sup Forums's autism, but FLIF.

Damn, I love FLIF. So many cool features. It is a lossless, progressive encoding format, where prefixes of the lossless file are highly competitive /lossy/ versions of the image. It can progressively encode animations, not just still images, so the animation loads entirely first, then increases in quality. You'll never have to wait for buffering like in gif, which loads from start to end. It also has the property that repeated lossy encoding to a fixed quality of the same image doesn't get progressively worse (ie, jpeg effect). Instead, it'll quickly asymptote to a fixed quality. This is because, as a lossless format, it achieves lossy compression by pre-processing the image to be easier for the lossless encoder to compress, thus the image doesn't need any pre-processing if you're re-encoding a previously encoded image.

So, better than png, gif, and jpeg, at everything each format is best at (or at least competitive, jpeg is still better at low quality lossy).

Wait, I made a mistake. The progressive encoding doesn't produce competitive lossy encodes, it's just much better than PNG. The lossy encoding is separate, as I described later.

>nobody uses teamspeak
>nobody uses discord
>nobody uses VP9

>implying most gaymurs use Teamspeak
>implying most gaymurs use Discord
>implying VP9 is default

VP9 is the default on YouTube.

The only times it isn't is when your browser doesn't support VP9 (which should be obvious).

>still no Opus used in piracy

>Caring about anything other than lossless
Just encode it yourself, so you know it's done right.

FLAC > opus

When most releases are using AVC and HEVC, it's no surprise that AAC is the audio codec of choice.

I don't expect this to change until AV1.

FLAC is too hard to find for most people.

>check ffmpeg has a H265 encoder
>encode a lossless H264 into a lossless H265
>final file is 60% smaller

What witchcraft is this? Ok that even with ultrafast preset I could hit real time speed but still impressive as fuck.

>Skype and Youtube aren't mainstream

Kill yourself immediately retard.

>I mean, current quality of YouTube is fine for most of people
The funny thing is that YouTube uses Opus.

>I don't expect this to change until AV1.

Fuck I want AV1 so bad. I seriously can't wait until it is released. No more of this x264 and x265 shit. Just one unified codec for everything.

Skype is the only exception. People are leaving it in droves, though.

Until something better come to existence.

I don't see AV1 being replaced by anything other than the next gen version of AV1. We won't be going back to spending money on shit like royalties when so many big companies can just spend way less to create open source codecs.

>used by billions of people every day in chat apps
>not mainstream

>implying they dont

And going where?

Whatsapp, Facebook, iMessage, Discord, etc.

Skype started dying when it was sold to MS.

This isn't 2002, kid. People have moved on from Skype. It's like the AIM of chat clients now.

ffmpeg's getting a native encoder for it, it's going mainstream whether you like it or not

booooooo

OP IS A FAGGOT

Youtube uses OPUS for WEBM streaming, it's already mainstream

By that logic, Vorbis is mainstream because Spotify uses it.

Yes?

Youtube or in fact nobody is currently streaming anything other than H264 and AAC for livestreams. Youtube only uses VP9/VP8/Vorbis/Opus for anything which isn't currently being livestreamed.
VP9 is basically impossible to do in realtime with good quality or at all with acceptable latency. Plus support is limited.

Vorbis has been mainstream for like a decade or more, you'd be amazed what games use it internally.

Opus is best-in-class and it being used by basically every voice chat out there (except Skype bizarrely since they helped to invent it, and Signal, but the new beta of Signal uses it too) - in particular, it's the required audio codec for WebRTC.

it's mainstream in that they're used everywhere except peoples' pirated collections, yes

Normies will never use it and iOS doesn't support it.