Who the fuck thought this was an improvement over gnome 2 in any way?

Who the fuck thought this was an improvement over gnome 2 in any way?

Gnome 3 should have been aborted.

It's quite nice for an aesthetic, modern ui, but I'm sure many on this board will disagree since they generally disagree with the current state of UI.

GNOME has one of the most ethical/kind communities, you can easily run your gnome shell exactly as it was with gnome 2 if you don't like the changed they've made, without forfeiting any of the new functionality that comes with gnome 3.

In short, if you don't like it just switch to a gnome 2 layout, it's fully supported and pain-free

I do not mind a lot of gnome 3, but the menubars in applications being just one button with extremely limited options inside, and the file manager/file picker is absolute garbage

>Who the fuck thought this was an improvement over gnome 2 in any way?
The same retards that make every decision in GNOME.

just use MATE you buttfuckers, nobody is forcing you to use Gnome 3

sheesh

>using a meme-ridden DE
yeah no thanks

open tweak tool
extensions
activate:
- applications menu
- launch new instance
- no topleft hot corner
- places status indicator
- window list

u don't get it user u don't need mouse to use gnome3

Allan Day, Red Hat, "contributor to GNOME UX design"
>Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design.
>One particular issue is the ability for users to modify the top bar via extensions. This part of the UI is vital for giving GNOME 3 a distinctive visual appearance. If we do have extensions, I would very much like to see the top bar made out of bounds for extension writers, therefore.

William Jon McCann, Red Hat Desktop Team, "user experience design shepherd for GNOME 3"
>I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an XFCE app unfortunately. I'm sorry that this is the case but it wasn't GNOME's fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.
>I am really concerned about this effort to encourage and sanction themes and extensions.

Owen Taylor, Red Hat
>The Power Off option is hidden because we don’t believe it’s necessary in that menu. The primary way that a user would shut down (if they, say, need to disconnect power) would be to log out and shut down through GDM.

Bastian Nocera, Red Hat
>We're not designing a desktop for people who like to choose their own terminal emulators.

You can fix that and turn it into an amazing DE in literally 2 minutes.

Literally the best looking DE that requires the least effort.

Also:
>text size uniform across the board, XFCE is a pain in the dick to make look uniform
>stable
>arguably has some of the best tools of any DE
>has the biggest library of themes

You should actually try to use it instead of shilling.

>the file manager/file picker is absolute garbage
File manage is quite nice, and no one forces you to use Nautilus anyways. The file picker from within the browser kind of sucks but that is across the board in GNU/Linux period.

Wrong. Repository maintainers force us. Now you can't just install gnome 2 from repo.

I like GNOME 3. Would be using it right now if it wasn't for an ancient critical bug ( was marked as critical back in 2011 and its still unfixed ) that makes the whole desktop unusable in my machine.
You can make gnome look nice because you can customize it quite a bit. But I didn't like that menu at all, too. That's why I restored the Applications menu to the top panel and used that instead.

Now I do am upset.

Red Hat employees seem like a bunch of people with no soul, but it sticks with the enterprise philosophy of IT in general: don't solve problems, deliver "elegants" designs that create more problems than they solve so that you can make a living on these new problems.

No wonder why Red Hat is a billion-dollar-revenue company.

I love ubuntu gnome man, to hell with your opinion.

Budgie is what GNOME3 should've been

If it does not look like Windows 95 then Sup Forums won't like it. /thread.

$ dnf search budgie
Last metadata expiration check: 2 days, 12:09:18 ago on Wed Feb 8 22:02:03 2017.
================================= N/S Matched: budgie =================================
budgie.x86_64 : Simple and distraction free media player

orly?

1/10 bait
Made me reply

Top menu of GNOME is literally wasted potential. It has no specific purpose, it's just there. A Mac style top bar or something that also combines the functionality of taskbar would've been much nicer.

Basically, Unity?

Gnome 3 is the worst desktop environment ever created. How can you defend something that needs to be customized with extensions to be remotely usable?

This, I run GNOME 3 on one of my laptops and it's really easy to get it uniform. bad thing is you can't change the top bar too much which fucking sucks desu

It's supposed to have extra functionality.

But nothing implements it.

This

Any Linux DE is just an abortion in general.

>screenshot from 6 years ago

Other way around. Unity is basically GNOME 3. It's a fork of GNOME 3.

You can download an extension that is called Dash to Panel that makes it much more useful and gives you nearly complete customization over the panel. With that same tool, you can also relocate the top panel to the bottom.

I find it useful for certain things, like if I'm in full screen mode and I need to quickly go to say my Photos. I enable the places extension and I can click on places at the top and navigate to pretty much any location without having to minimize any windows.

My favorite layout is to have my app panel on the left, window list on the bottom, and I configure my top panel with extensions like weather, system stats, Arch Updater (it notifies me when repos have updates for my packages), I move my clock to the right side of the panel, etc. Like in pic related.

It's probably more efficient to use a setup where you don't need 3 separate panels, but I use this at home and productivity isn't a necessity for me.

yeah, i tried that extension and it's pretty good imo but I might as well be using another DE by that point. have a soulless twingo

>I have no idea what XFCE is or does
I bet he got a punchable face too.

This is his G+ profile pic. I do feel a vague compulsion to help him de-Jew his nose, but maybe that's just me.

I want this twingo like hell!

a-user, she's barely 18~!

Ddd

That's the beauty of free software, gnome2 keeps on living in the form of mate :^)

Hey, can you explain what is isac's fourth? I saw this title many times but never asked.

I use gnome because I really don't want or need menus. Everything is done with keyboard shortcuts for me.

Except the keyboard shortcuts are shit and not customizable.

What are you talking about? Of course they're customizaable. There are plenty of reasons you can dislike gnome. Why would you just make shit up and lie, though?

But who's isac? Is that a reference to the anime in the background, or are you isac?

wayland/vulkan masterrace bro

>but but muh mir
>actually liking qt license and toolkit

>but but muh gnome toolkit apps
>what is xwayland

>but but my devs and community
>most of the original devs from Xorg team are now in both dev teams because its meant to be a transition

>better security
doesnt have remote cluster networked window services like Xorg

>minimal af

>easier protocol to develop for
it partitions the process jobs and most of the computational rendering stuff is offloaded to wayland and the other half (graphics composition) is in one of waylands many compatible compositors

lastly wayland the protocol was developed and created by original core Xorg team devs

when mate was a good thing...

enjoy your botnet.

STILL NO SUPPORT FOR A PROPER FILEPICKER OUT OF THE BOX IN $CURRENT_YEAR

So I see you're running gnome. You know I'm actually on KDE myself. I know this desktop environment is supposed to be better, but you know what they say... Old habits.. they die hard.

Is there still a way to enable typeahead support or did they remove that

I had installed Gnome a few months ago, was unimpressed and went back to openbox. But now that I read this thread I realize most of my issues had already been addressed so I will go back to it and try once more. Thanks for hating Gnome, that hate brought people here who opened my eyes.

People who are obsessed with "muh minimalism" and think all features they don't use are bloat.

My Windows 10 computer doesn't have this issue.

Neither does a rock, and only one of these two things won't steal all your personal information and force updates you don't want.

>Who the fuck thought this was an improvement over gnome 2 in any way?
Nobody except the GNOME devs who wanted the "tablet audience"
Turns out nobody wants to use this shit on tablets

>Windows 10 bad XD
Spotted the jobless neet

wtf is a file picker?

a file manager?

every single gtk file manager is supported with Xwayland

did you even read the post?

Repeat after me:
NO THUMBNAILS

i dont use GTK anymore but when i have to i use spaceFM which can be configured for thumbnails

i cant confirm any others though

i personally use midnight commander with xfbi or one of the many command line viewers as a intercept

lastly there is 2 seperate exploits that effect every type of file manager that is qt or gtk

when the thumbnail for the video is created it loads the embedded script

this is exectly how stagefright and metasploit work

producing individual thumbnails on demand is way safer then loading a whole directory of binary media containers