Tfw fell for the CS meme

>tfw fell for the CS meme

Thankfully I won't have student debt (scholarship paid my full way), but I also feel like I've wasted four years.

Any tips for actually getting a (good) job with a CS degree? I've had a shitload of paid internships but I'm three months from graduation and still haven't found anything.

have you ever considered that it's not the degree that makes you unemployable

^

I have, but once again, I have a fairly decent resume for a college student and a list of references from all the companies I interned with who speak well of me.

There's just not many companies hiring near me right now, and I don't want to move to a coast just to find work. I'm comfy in flyover land.

Post your resume.

What kind of job are you looking for

I don't want to post the actual one on the chance someone can identify me from the companies I worked for, but in a nutshell:

-top 25 but not elite school
-3.4 gpa
-have worked a paid internship every single summer I've been in college
-one was admittedly freshman tier (just writing tests for already existing code) for a well-known networking company, but since that was my freshman summer I don't think that's a huge deal it was so "easy"
-one for a tiny startup writing a query optimizer (this was fun as hell)
-one for a mid-sized company that develops web conferencing software, and I plus my team developed a shitload of new features that are in fact in the actual product release right now (again, no specifics because Muh dox)

It's not 4.0 from Stanford with 10 patents material, sure, but I'm not looking for google to give me a $120k starting job, I'm just looking for a decently stable job with maybe 50-60k starting. I don't feel like my expectations are too high.

You have a decent background and shouldn't have a problem getting interviewed by even Google. Maybe your resume is formatted improperly, maybe you aren't applying enough. In tech you should expect a 5% callback rate, so if you apply to a hundred places you might hear back from 5. Also it's important to be location-agnostic. Keep applying everywhere, keep applying to every company you can think of. Go to their /careers pages - most companies don't bother posting their jobs on job boards anymore.

>In tech you should expect a 5% callback rate, so if you apply to a hundred places you might hear back from 5.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I didn't know it was that low.

I've been applying to ~5 places every weekend (so not enough it sounds like), so that's actually pretty helpful. Thanks!

Honestly you should just be calling up old friends and family and asking if they know anything or anyone who may be hiring.

Also, certs motherfucker

This is another thing, in the tech industry, "networking" is one of your greatest friends

Hehe

- school/gpa is fine
- not a qualification
- cool you worked an easy internship
- look another easy internship
- pretty good experience

Why don't you work on developing actual real world skills instead of trying to let your degree carry you.

It feels good doing a CS degree in a country where it's in demand, both me and my brother did the same degree and both got the first job we applied for. My brother didn't even have any work experience in IT.

America is just too meme

>CS
>meme
only dropouts that went in thinking they would make vidya think this

From an ex-employer of paypal,

DONT put your GPA on your resume. It's one of the biggest rookie mistakes. We truly don't care for a variety of reasons. All it does is it makes it look like you're overselling yourself (which you are supposed to do, but you have to pretend you aren't).

Can someone explain why CS is so bad?

it's supposed to be a hard math degree that centers around computational mathematics but it was hijacked to mean "JAVA JOB TRAINING" and later on "PYTHON CODING DEGREE :DDD".

Do you know of any successful game developers who got a "game dev" degree?
CS is quickly becoming the same thing.

The private sector doesn't care about 90% of the shit you have to learn for a CS degree. Also the stuff that you do need to learn to work as a programmer is often not included in the course work (i.e. high level mathematics and science shit.) So basically it's the worst of all possible worlds.

That's awful.
I do aspire to become a game dev but I have no idea what kind of path in college I should take.

On top of that the classes usually don't teach what businesses expect (tests, CI/CD, UX, etc.) out of a programmer.

Don't become a game dev. Don't even aspire to be one. If you want to be a game developer you will never make it through a CS program.

If you've had a shitload of paid internships, then why do you need any advice at all to find a job you fucking moron?

It's hard to find a job when you're only good at writing fizzbuzz programs in obscure languages like most of Sup Forums.

5% callback seems really low to me. Im in my final year of CS and getting about a 90% callback rate. Does your college offer CV checking as after I fixed my CV my callback rate tripled.

>Any tips for actually getting a (good) job with a CS degree?

move to india