/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Remember to not hook on the bait!

Other urls found in this thread:

p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system#Components
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks#Default:_Using_parted_to_partition_the_disk
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Stage
archwomen.org/blog/post/responding-to-harassment.html
debian.org/women/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why do all of these dumb generals have so much shit in the OP?
Who the hell reads that shit?

Posting my question here again

I have a server with 2 network interfaces, eth0 and eth1.

I would like to use eth1 as a connection that goes through a pptp vpn tunnel, and eth0 needs to be available to accept connections on it's regular wan IP.

Then i would like to configure a torrent client to exclusively use the eth1 interface to tunnel through the pptp vpn.

Thus far i have managed to set up a pptp vpn tunnel, but can't get it to bind to a specified interface, the "pptp --localbind (eth1 ip address here)... etc" does not have the desired effect. Once the tunnel is established and ppp0 comes up it still routes all traffic through eth0

Not Sup Forumsedditors with the attention span of a 3 year old child.
Do you want to tell us something user?

First for Source Mage GNU/Linux

""""""""""""""""""""""""friendly"""""""""""""""""""""""" reminder to install gentoo

Could you update OP with the new paste link?
I made some changes (added some links).
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

So, now that the dust has sattled, what's the very best distro ever?

look at your routing tables, you will see that everything is getting routed to your eth0 interface:
$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Iface
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 eth0
192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 eth0

Solus

better pasta
>muh structure

fuck off kevin

I farted yesterday something more smarter.

is solus really good or just some Sup Forums meme?
never heard of solus, only on Sup Forums
what's all the fuzz abou it?
someone repille me pls.

In the terminal how can i have auto completion? After i write "man" it doesn't work.

# Complete (c)ommand names and (f)ile names:
complete -cf man, sudo

Nah, it's just one retard shilling it over and over again

Looks good.

ty

Most people use:
alias man='man '
or
alias sudo='sudo '
but is actually the cleaner solution, unless you need somethin shell independent.

did you run
# pacman -Syu

today, /fglt/?

No, I'm not 12 years old.

>what did he mean by this?

Just tried that command but nothing happened.
What does it do? Tried it aƶsp as root. I'm on Arch btw.

anons, feck off

schmek me

>unironically using Arch

Seriously guys. When will you grow out of Arch and Gentoo memes?

How do you delete a Linux partition? I'm tired of looking at the thing.

depends, will you grow out of memes in general?

GNU/Linux*

what is a "Linux" partition?

what kind of partitions could a kernel have?

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

partiiton clased by the 083 code when creating a partition using fdisk

I already did, but I think everyone has learn it on his own.

I guess the common way is: Ubuntu or Mint -> (something related Arch) -> Arch -> Funtoo or Gentoo - and at this point your start choosing a non-autistic distro and care about your own good instead of epenis points.

tl;dr its a good idea to fall for the memes so you know what youre talking about

A partition housing the Linux Operating System

>using fdisk
>not gnu parted

what is this "Linux Operating System"?
as far as I know, Linux does not an operating system make

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

>Hurr everyone's needs are the same as mine and the only differentiating factor between people is experience and maturity
>if everyone was as mature as me then everyone in the world would have the same needs, habits, would eat the same food, would wear the same clothes

yes, that's the one you should read

Considering arch as my primary distribution, it will only be used for hobby purposes, (i have a mac for school and work), it it a good choice, im on debian now.

>An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
Thats what Linux does

Linux is an operating system, but as kernel-only, it's incomplete, same with GNU, which is an operating system, lacking of a kernel. Together it's a complete OS.

>using a mac
at least us a real BSD

10/10, least non pro-gnu and non pro-linux post.

>provides common services for computer programs
>the kernel
kill yourself

OS = kernel + userland

That's what systemd does.

Linux (the kernel) is just a single component of a GNU+Linux distro
see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system#Components

here we go again

I failed vimtutor, again.

brilliant post
10/10

Do it, again.

shitpost is rampant tonight for sure.

I don't want to post only to say that so I will add a random trivia to my post:
A relatively common mutation in frogs make their eyes grow in its mouth. They are generally perfectly functioning and this doesn't necessarily impair their life expectancy. Pic related.

I dont use gnu
Stop implying everyone has to use that peice of shit

thanks for the enlightenment user

how do they eat

Wrong thread I guess?

sauce nao

wtf this is the best post in this thread so far!

This was and has always been a Linux thread.You freetard came encroaching and sit at your desk all day long spamming f5 so you can make a new gnushitthread.

This is a linux thread, you can replace any userland and the same issues and questions will arise in this thread,as it pertains to Linux.

Feel free to create your Linux thread.

Is it worth making my shell scripts #!/bin/sh compliant?

I'm already in it sempai :^)

If you use other, different unix-like systems, then yes

No. You just making them compatible for macfags and zsh tippers. Use Bash.

I guess we should talk about Android and it's issues then because it has a Linux kernel and userland doesn't matter.

If the system is rooted sure we can :^)

Hay guis, I have an idea

Why don't we just name the GNU/Linux operating system "Untitled OS" so we don't offend anyone?
We're all anonymous so nobody should mind not have a name for their OS either right?

This way we can all get on with our "lives"

Android isn't Linux. It's a fork, mangled by google.

>using the emotion with a carrot nose

I have some questions about installing Gentoo.

1. How do I clean a disk of all data using parted? The handbook says that using rm will remove all partitions, but will it also clear all the data? I just want a dataless hard drive, with absolutely nothing on it. an -rm rf kinda deal.

2. Using GPT to boot. The handbook here wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Disks#Default:_Using_parted_to_partition_the_disk says to make /dev/sda2 a FAT32 FS for UEFI boot. However, making our file systems comes *after* this part of the handbook(creating our partitions), so is this just a warning for the future, on what to do with /dev/sda2 ?

3. Are the default cflags and cxxflags good enough? Found here wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Stage

4. What profile am I supposed to use? Like, for example, I know I want the stable KDE as my DE. So, what's the difference between profile 1, profile 4, and profile 8? For the record those are default/Linux/amd64/13.0, default/Linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/kde, and default/Linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma.

I thought plasma *was* kde?

5. What do with @world? Do I need to update @world? I heard it takes forever.

6. Are the default USE variables any good? I'm not looking to be uber Nazi about not having GTK on my system, etc.

That is all.

what's wrong with that anime girl?

You cant ask these questions, its part of the gentoo experiance.

How do we fix /fglt/?

you never make stupid faces when satisfying an itch like when sticking a qtip in your ear, or having an orgasm?

I don't even know where to begin addressing whatever misconceptions you have about Sup Forums. Just lurk more I guess?

is she having an orgasm?

hammer and nails

Remove windows users.

she's an organism

it it a good choice indeed.

I don't get it.

Stop falling for Sup Forums memes and stick to Debian.

try :help tutor

do not Arch is supreme

s/supreme/cancer/

No. You're just enabling shell hipsterism.

quiet you

Daily reminder that women matter.
archwomen.org/blog/post/responding-to-harassment.html
Choose Arch Linux and support wymyn.

debian.org/women/

already running it
kill all males!

i prefer using libreboot to support those causes

>tfw Sup Forums made me fell for the gnu/linux meme
Is kubuntu crap?
I'm unironically considering installing gentoo. Is it that bad for a linux virgin like me?

just use ubuntu

>Is kubuntu crap?
no
>I'm unironically considering installing gentoo. Is it that bad for a linux virgin like me?
it's bad for everyone that doesn't have a precise/good reason to do so