What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

joelonsoftware.com/2004/06/13/how-microsoft-lost-the-api-war/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No Windows 9

3.1-2000/ME were the best logos. 1.0-2.0 was also acceptable.

When they removed the tails
Also the current window is borig compared to the iconic style

highspeed and cheap mobile devices

Windows 9 is Windows 8.1

everything

Windows 8/10 logo is a literal window.

Pajeet as CEO

what is the best windows in your opinion? i like windows 7 the most and windows 8 the least. but my descisions are design based, i am coming from /fa.
Whats the best windows technical wise, performance wise, windows 10?

I thought XP was the most user friendly and had the best design imho.

Nothing. It only got better.

>fischer-price tier design
>best
user, no

XP was too good.

MS listened to the NSA rather than their customers.

Windows 8.1 is Windows 8.1

Hardcoded kernel issues

Windows 2000 was the true master race choice
XP could have been skipped altogether
Vista too

>What went wrong?
White people.
No culture.

Fuck Dru--

Steven Sinofsky, Terry Myerson.
Jim Allchin was the only one that produced anything good.

Sup Forumsentlemen, spaghetti code in action.

Wat

The MSDN Magazine Camp won.
joelonsoftware.com/2004/06/13/how-microsoft-lost-the-api-war/

Windows 8.1 is better than 7 in my opinion, once you clear away all the metro crap they throw at you. Even the start screen is alright once you customise it to how you like it. You can install custom start menu programs but I stopped using them because they were all rubbish.

For all the hate it got, I didn't think Vista was bad. It kicked windows into the modern age and improved on XP in so many ways (to be expected, given how long it took to release it). If you compare any version of windows to its immediate predecessor, I think XP to vista is the biggest leap. Possibly 3.1 to 95 as well, they made a whole new UI for that but I'm not sure how much changed under the surface.

Are skylake cpu's fully compatible with win7?

MS fell for the "unified touch interface"/"three screens and a cloud" meme

they tried so hard to push the Fisher Price big squares interface that they changed too much too quickly and even their most casual users got scared. When a troglodyte like my dad knows that "Win10 = bad and Win 7 = good", you know you fucked up

9x to XP was way bigger than XP to Vista.
Mostly since XP was based on 2k, not ME.

They should have stuck with the 7 icon, and if they wanted a HIP AND HAPPENING new flat-style icon, they should have just flattened the one they already had, like this

You mean if you can use Skylake CPUs with Windows 7? I was using one for several months no problems.

Tablets

normies

Since 8 Windows became a complete UI clusterfuck.

Also, Microsoft wants to track you and make everything "cloud-friendly". Even Office 2016 now REQUIRES that you have a Microsoft account tied to it. Even if you buy the Professional edition.

Miss W7 so much.

Yes but they require XHCI drivers since Windows 7 didn't come with them (lmao) so you usually have to patch an ISO with the driver before an install, manufacturers usually post a tool and guide on their website for the motherboard. You have to or else your USB ports won't work on boot so you won't be able to interact with the machine to install them. Unless of course your mobo has PS/2.

gross

>tfw no windows 9 from microsoft research labs

I personally thought the original Vista icon was the superior one.

Bill Gates resigned.

nothing! windows 10 works great, windows does everything better than linux and macos it's just u guys can't deal with it

When they went from a waving flag to four trapezoids.

ME was best because I played games on it

(OP)
design cycles, anyone hae that image showing cycles in UI design?

OP pic tells the story too:
windows 8/9 is just windows 1/2 flat shit again, this time with retina display 4k, pixel shading, and element shadows

we'll be back at embossed (2000), then glossy (XP), and a few years back at glass (7).

flat is just retarded, specially todays version (material design), glossy gets tired fast with its unidirectional gradients,

embossed is fine, just takes space, glass but not necessarily with translucency is better for everyday, saves some space, conveys element separation with less lines, and allows for wider colour range without looking like crap (like with embossed in darker and lighter non-pastel colors)

TLDR, opaque glass master rice

>ME was best because I played games on it
Ahhh... the Baby Duck Syndrome.
You're among friends here.

That picture is full of shit

You aren't though, wanted to make that clear

I gave it more than an honest try.

I believe the most inexplicable thing was the use of two taskbars. The regular superbar, and the metro taskbar, which required more effort to use than the regular taskbar, and you couldn't see any of the icons on the metro taskbar. It was so inefficient to use, that it made the use of metro apps horribly bad if you used desktop mode. Why they didn't just integrate metro apps into the superbar, I have no idea, they did it for windows 10.

They tried their best to punish you if you ACTUALLY tried to use both the desktop and metro modes. The UI was horribly thought out.

"Modern" UI

>1.0 and 2.0

God tier logo desu

>hip hop fell out of fashion

Windows 8 happened.

Not
>Hip hop is a subset of rap

That's stupid as well since hip-hop encompasses more than just rap. But rap IS older, as it's just a form of music rather than a subculture.