Buy dell laptop last year

>buy dell laptop last year
>has great specs but comes with W10
>whatever I can just downgrade back to 7 if it pisses me off too much
>1 year of dealing with it I decide to downgrade
>go through a very lengthy process of it because the machine kept refusing the downgrade.
>after 9 hours of work W7 is installed
>it has no drivers whatsoever meaning I cant put in drivers through internet or usb devices
>cant fucking find the factory image
>probably rellied on w10 for it
>make a bootable usb stick with w10 to try unbricking the laptop
>seems to work
>The Selected Disk is of the GPT Partition Style when it gets to the part where I pick the partition to install
>apparently the only solution for that error is to format the HD which would deleted the builtin drivers
Is physically removing the HD and sending the drivers to it from another PC my only recourse other than contacting dell?

Other urls found in this thread:

disk-partition.com/articles/selected-disk-is-gpt-partition-style.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>apparently the only solution for that error is to format the HD which would deleted the builtin drivers
wut

Just make a backup of the drive, and try installing 10. If you have standard hardware, it should "just work".

disk-partition.com/articles/selected-disk-is-gpt-partition-style.html
How do I make a backup of it?

install gentoo

windows 10 will find the drivers by itself

but if you want to be sure, save the drivers in a flash drive and load them when installing windows

How tho.
If I format this way I'll probably erase the drives and if w10 installs without them like 7 did I'll still have the same problem.
How can I save these drivers in a flash drive?

Just wipe everything on the HDD and clean install. Worst case you have to re-download the drivers off Dell's website. Windows Update should grab the rest.

Windows 10 actually has out of the box drivers for modern hardware. 7 doesn't. You won't have the same problem because Windows 10 isn't almost a fucking decade old. I've clean installed Windows 10 on plenty of different hardware, and never had an issue.

>if w10 installs without them like 7 did I'll still have the same problem

that's probably wrong, but in case it's not, just download the drivers to the flash drive from the website in another computer

some time in the installation there will be a button saying "load drivers" or something like that, connect you flash drive and load it

The problem I have right now is that I cant do that without the drivers.

what? why?

>some time in the installation there will be a button saying "load drivers" or something like that, connect you flash drive and load it
Nice, does it have to be a bootable stick?
I can probably do that with W7's repair options.

just start a windows 10 installation and wipe the drive when it gets to that part

Model?

Boot the Windows 10 install DVD, nuke every goddamn partition off that HDD and clean install. Everything will be fine.

you have to understand one thing, you laptop may not have drivers for windows 7 at all, which model it is?

usb ports and internet controllers simply dont work.
inspiron 5557

if they don't work even if you go into the bios, you bricked it

congratulations

usb works on bios.

then boot windows 10 install from bios, how can't you do that then?

I can I'm just afraid it'll make the problem worse since I'll have to nuke the built in drivers to do that.

protip, that laptop doesn't support windows 7

it won't get worse, you just fucked the installation because windows 7 is not supported

if you nuke the drive and install you won't have any problems

windows update will get 99% of the drivers after installation, and what it can't get, you download from dell's website

Welp, here goes nothing.
Thank you for your advice anons.

*install windows 10

There are windows 7 driver so it should work fine for your model. if you can't even connect via Ethernet then take a Linux live cd and download them all to your windows 7 partition .

>live cd
>on laptop without cd drive
>seeing that he doesn't have access to another computer anyways

wew

Live USB, whatever. Everyone here should have a few anyway.

OP is retarded
I work IT for the company and shit still comes with Win Pro
All you have to do is preload network drivers and download the correct Win 7 once you're in
I had the some problem, but it didn't take me 9 fucking hours to troubleshoot it.

>itt Sup Forums helps a moron windows user who can't install drivers

Kek it's completely true, what is going on with Sup Forums

>dell
honestly, never buy dell. I did it once, never doing it again. Many of my friends did it once and will never again.

Honestly, dell is the proof capitalism is a lie: dell is a shit company that delivers shit products for too high a price, yet there they still are.

the cheap dells are absolute trash

the expensive dells are god tier

Dell works fine for me, warranty service is also great. My old D620 is still chugging along

>Be 12
>Have mom buy yourself a Dell laptop
>Try to fuck with it and put an outdated os on it with no tech skill whatsoever
>Fucks it up because of said still
>Complains to Sup Forums about it

You get deserve everything you get.

Win 7 is pretty old therefore slipstreaming drivers into the installation image/stick is standard procedure nowadays. Mobo manufacturers offer tools for that maybe Dell does too. If not there's ways to do it manually, check google.

OP here, nuking the HD and installing w10 worked like a charm.
Thank you Sup Forums I'll love you forever.

I've done this, download the networking driver from the manufacturers website and Graphics driver via Another computer and USB, if the USB ports aren't working burn the data to a disc and install it that way, once the graphics card and networking is established just download and install the drivers manually if necessary or just windows update that shit.