Raspberry Pi as main PC for Kid

>What?
I want to build this setup for my 5 year old brother.

>Why?
Comfy as F*ck and minimal. Simple.
He watches YouTube videos, reads online from the PDFs I download for him on his tablet (Kinder books like Dr. Seuss and sh*t) (He knows basic words and actually loves to read :)
He also wants to play Minecraft (Minecraft Pi)
I would like him to learn/play "Scratch" in the future so, getting familiarized with "Raspbian" will help.
I want to ultimately tur him into a technology literate person.

>Budget
As low as possible.

Please help me with the following...
What do I need?
Best power source/cable?
Best SD Card/Storage? Cloud?
What's a good monitor resolution that won't abuse the limited resources the pi has?
Keyboard for small hands? Mouse for small hands?
Best screen size for

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-380-SFF-Desktop-Core-2-Duo-2-93Ghz-E7500-4GB-250GB-Win-7-Pro-/232138689239?hash=item360c8b4ad7:g:7kIAAOSwcUBYI18y
logicalincrements.com/
amazon.com/Vilros-Raspberry-Buffalo-Classic-Gamepads/dp/B01J4HTOS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486873878&sr=8-1&keywords=Retro pi
youtube.com/watch?v=YzbCyOSJhho
youtube.com/watch?v=LvYQh5xwO4I
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-Intel-Core-i3-3-3Ghz-4GB-RAM-250GB-/361878769570?hash=item5441a7cfa2:g:HzAAAOSwopRYeBHa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stop being a poorfag and get him a pc. Otherwise he'll grow up believing all computers are as with as your loonix pi

I don't have money. I have an Asus E200HA ($200). my sister has an old Macbook Pro that I got for $130. My phone is a Motorola (Lenovo) G4 ($200).

I don't want to buy a $200 dollar laptop just for him to play Minecraft, learning nothing, getting viruses, etc... when I can spend

Get him an used Thinkpad T420 and install a linux distro. Then you have a nonshit computer that can do everything you mentioned and isn't fucking terrible.

Too powerful. If I do that, I will give him my E200HA which dooesn't even run loonix and I keep the T420. Again, my purpose is not to get him used to fast or expensive computers because then, he'll become spoiled and in the future will throw tantrums because I won't buy him the latest ad greatest. But good idea although I don't want him using a laptop because I know he will break it, especially this E200HA (fragile) and glossy display will be gone in a week. He'll probably want to take the laptop to school or something and I don't want to deal with his tears over something that can be prevented.

You can't even use youtube or other heavy websites on the fucking raspberry pi. You basically want to torture him to "get used to shitty computers" for no real reason.
Consider buying a core 2 duo dell optiplex, they are really cheap now and are powerful enough.

i was about to post this
a c2d box is as cheap as a raspberry pi and can actually handle real tasks

Okay, Maybe not YouTube as he already has a tablet for that but for reading, writing and learning is fine.

>Consider buying a core 2 duo dell optiplex, they are really cheap now and are powerful enough.
Too expensive. Remember I also need keyboard, mouse, monitor and storage. Maybe a little desk or table. I aim to spend

>Remember I also need keyboard, mouse, monitor and storage
You also need those with a raspberry. The dell boxes can be found for $50, almost the same price as a raspi but way more use- and powerful.

>dell boxes
link for purchase?

No idea what country you're from, just search on ebay for "optiplex core 2 duo"

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-380-SFF-Desktop-Core-2-Duo-2-93Ghz-E7500-4GB-250GB-Win-7-Pro-/232138689239?hash=item360c8b4ad7:g:7kIAAOSwcUBYI18y

Here's a good one

Just by any pentium 2gb ram 80gb storage shit and put linux on it. Vga to tv and cheap mouse and keyboard. If he already has a table i don't think he will be very interested on a pc. Anyway it's up to you to get him into programming and shit

Okay, I have one of those already. The issue is that it will take too much space. Him and I have out beds in one room and a dresser for our clothes and a little table for the Xbox (to play minecraft and Star wars) and a 720p monitor which can be used for the Pi (HDMI to VGA) but there is no space and saving some buck on the tower will mean I will have to spend those bucks I saved on a new table/desk.

Can't you just put it on the floor next to the desk?

Thanks.

see What are some Raspberry Pi alternatives? I want to have a fanless computer sitting on the table in a corner or under the monitor.

The alternatives have almost zero software support.

>What do I need?
Literally everything you need for a regular PC (also an iso for whatever OS)
>Best power source/cable?
Literally any micro usb cable
>Best SD Card/Storage? Butt?
Literally any SD card around 64GB or so
>What's a good monitor resolution that won't abuse the limited resources the pi has?
Literally any resolution on some old-ass monitor from Goodwill. Just get one from there.
>Keyboard for small hands? Mouse for small hands?
Literally check Amazon I'm too lazy
>Best screen size for

Yes but I don't want a tower because the room is already too small and we only have the essentials (dresser, beds, a little entertainment table for the Xbox (Minecraft and Star Wars) and school-stuff-corner. A micro-computer can be placed anywhere and if I need to move it it won't be a hassle.

I will do that as my last resort, thanks.

Can't you place it on the living room or another place?

>Best screen size for

>I want to build this setup for my 5 year old brother.
YOU HAVE TO BE 18+ TO USE THIS SITE, KID!

if you have a brother that young, you can't be over 15... or your parents are retards or you're adopted.

I see.

Thanks!

> (also an iso for whatever OS)
I know how to install Raspbian or I can just buy the SD Card from them which comes with Raspbian pre-installed.

>Literally any resolution on some old-ass monitor from Goodwill. Just get one from there.
I have a 16 inch 720p 16:9 monitor that I can use with the Pi via HDMI to VGA.
>About the keyboard
Would you recommend one with numberpad or without? wireless or wired?

Can't you place it on the living room or another place?

>Square
Will look into some VIewSonic or whatever they're called. Saw one a couple years ago or 90 bucks.
>19 inch
too tall for square? maybe a 14-16 inch?

bullshit.

Go away troll.

You can get 17" or 19" 1280x1024 monitors for almost no money. make sure they have a DVi connector.

Nope

Forgot to answer...
>Can't you place it on the living room or another place?
No. We get a lot of visits. Do you enjoy using your PC when someone is behind you or conversing around you?

>You can get 17" or 19" 1280x1024 monitors for almost no money. make sure they have a DVi connector.
Thanks.

Wireless so he doesnt break the USB ports by fucking with the wire. Also OP I taught a 2 year old to play Tony Hawk Underground 5 y/o should be able to use a computer.

You know, a laptop would solve the table problem. What about a Thinkpad T60 or T61? Really cheap now and still usable.

>Wireless so he doesnt break the USB ports by fucking with the wire
Didn't think of that. Thanks for the heads-up!

>Also OP I taught a 2 year old to play Tony Hawk Underground 5 y/o should be able to use a computer.
Yes! especially kids these day, grow around technology and are given tablets at a young age so, they learn quick.

>He knows basic words

I'd damn well hope so for a fucking 5 year old.

>You know, a laptop would solve the table problem.
I need to charge before use.

>Then just use it while charging
So, using this stone of a computer on his legs while he bends his back and neck

>Then wait until 100% charge and use it
100% charge, start using laptop, open web browser, 95%, render PDF, 5%, oh.

>Then use the table
So, were back to square one.

I volunteer at my brother's school and believe or not there are some kids that go to school only for the 10 minutes of recess and playground time. Some kids don't know how to read, yet. My brother is also bilingual (Spanish and English) so, it's kind of difficult, in terms of communication, to be able to speak, write and read in English and speak in Spanish at the same level as he does English for a "fucking 5 year old"

What are you even trying to say? Laptops have long charging cables, and if it's still too short you can use an extension cable

>F*ck
Someone please nuke this board.

I don't want him to use the laptop in his lap because of the posture so, he will end up using the laptop on a table with or without a charging cable.

>Raspberry Pi for kid
>for kid
you never know if there are

Fuck off!
Is that better or did it still trigger you?

>Doesn't contribute to the thread yet complains
Someone please nuke this fucking board! wah wah

How old are you?

21 but even if I was 13 I would not be able to prove it to you.

mate, if he wants to play minecraft a pi wont exactly cut it. Get him a shit desktop with one of the hyperthreaded pentiums and make him learn the hard way how to optimize things.

>He also wants to play Minecraft (Minecraft Pi)
>Minecraft Pi

That thing is horribly out of date, will probably break soon.

Or he can just learn to manage resources on a computer with very few resources. It will make him think if clicking on a video and he probably doesn't like is worth the wait or if opening multiple programs while only using one is worth the demand of resources. Raspbian comes with many programming-friendly tools like "Scratch" and optimizing and creating on Minecraft Pi through Python. In the future when AI becomes more present and computer start taking your order the only people working will be computer literate people and learing about electronic devices at a young age will ensure that he at least has a chance at life when he turn 21. It will get to a point where the same people creating AI and other automation tools will be doing so while working on something that will soon replace other's jobs. Think about websites, knowing HTML and CSS is only useful if you want a personal project or a custom website but there are other websites that anyone can use to create their own with a few clicks (Squarespace and wordpress or whatever).

no user, he wants to play MINECRAFT without the Pi because all of his friends are playing it. What will you do when he wants to join a server and the Pi fucks up? A GPU-less Kabby laeg pentium system should run in the low 300s get him that and just put gnu/linux

You basically want to artifically make his life harder.

Raspberry Pi is too weak to even have a good browsing experience. Don't do it.

Guys, Guys! we're getting off-topic here so...
Will the following work:
Most of what said, thanks
>720p monitor that I use for his Xbox and the small table we already have $0
Grand total: $95 (tax, shipping and handling)

He can do it. If he doesn't then, I'll just get the Pi for myself.

>I would like him to learn/play "Scratch" in the future
Skip that entirely, teach him a real programming language. Even if you're not gonna teach him C, at least get him to learn Python or JavaScript.

He is 5 years old. Bu yes, Python will be first because it closer to English than C which is low-level.

>I'll just get the Pi for myself.
Honestly that's a good idea.
You'll just end up making him hate computers because his won't be able to do anything.

I can't say it is a good thing either.

>sh*t
It's OK, you can curse on the internet, Timmy.

kek

So, does Sup Forums approve of

Judging by all the posts telling you raspberry pi is garbage, I'd say no.

Alternatives are worst.

worse*
Here's a better alternative: Get him nothing. It costs nothing and has the same functionality.

Build him the cheapest computer you're willing to build from this list:
logicalincrements.com/
Then install FreeBSD on it. He'll be able to do everything he wants to do, including all the things on your list.
Buying a computer is always a mistake, compared to building one. Upgrading the parts of bought computers is often made intentionally hard in consumer PCs.

Just buy a retro pi kit, the one in the image isn't the one below, the one below comes with amazing SNES clones

amazon.com/Vilros-Raspberry-Buffalo-Classic-Gamepads/dp/B01J4HTOS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486873878&sr=8-1&keywords=Retro pi

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you were going to build a PC you could do a very simple AM1 PC on the cheap with a 5350, dunno if the APU is still $30 though

youre talking about a 5 year old
hes not going to give a fuck about python
you'd be just giving him a shitty slow as fuck system that he will hate because its shitty and slow

get a fucking am1 athlon build or something
at least then he'll actually get some worthwhile fun out of it since it wont lag as bad

a RP3 can run most retro games just fine

That's just about all a kid will care about
youtube.com/watch?v=YzbCyOSJhho

can't play vidya gaymes

if that kid wants to play minecraft, picraft or whatever the fuck it is will be a huge letdown

the athlon 5350's integrated gpu can handle minecraft at 720p at medium settings to get a comfy 40-60fps
even better if you drop in a 750ti or some shit, that can then handle star wars battlefront at 30fps ultra 720p

>implying this guy isn't the 5-year-old jabroni that wants to play Pi Minecraft

Nice, you all fell for the bait.

the isn't the Picraft game free compared to $30 for minecraft?

Also you'd need to use Optifine or whatever to get multi-threading in minecraft

Your brother will be like those christian kids in the 90s that weren't allowed to watch cartoons or play videogames because they turn kids into satan worshipping heathens
Except instead of crazy christians his crazy loonix shill brother won't allow him to play what everyone else is playing because muh proprietary

>crazy christians
I miss these videos
youtube.com/watch?v=LvYQh5xwO4I

Minecraft Pi is nothing like Minecraft. It's like asking for a Playstation for christmas and getting some shitty chink polystation clone. If you refuse to build him a starving poorfag tier computer with the same money that will run it medium at 30FPS don't even bother giving him anything.

Oh, now I see, ni*ger

What any sane person wants to play pi minecraft?

Get a pi3. Even that lags sometimes on youtube but I have to say downloaded videos play very smoothly

This, save your shekels and buy him something decent in a couple of months. BTW you sound like an autist, opie

Pine64 A .

> 64bit arm
> does not support the fucking awful pi DRM

I bought a fully functioning CF-51 for $36.95 SHIPPED off ebay. With the caddy and an HD and everything. Kills my rpi like three times over in performance. Battery life isn't good but fuck it.

Hell, just buy him some SFF core2duo machine and shove a 30$ gt 710 in it
Bam, minecraft machine
Mines an e6700 and 3gb of ddr2, gt 710 in the mail tomorrow

Cost me like 60$ total

>What do I need?
raspi 3 for best performance
>Best power source/cable?
fukken any
>Best SD Card/Storage? Cloud?
any
>What's a good monitor resolution that won't abuse the limited resources the pi has?
just use your tv
>Keyboard for small hands? Mouse for small hands?
go to goodwill with him and pick out whatever he wants for $5
>Best screen size for

unless your wife's son is really interested in embedded development or something else that makes use of the GPIO header get him a core 2 duo box for the same price that will blow it out in pretty much every respect

the Pi is a pathetic weak ass piece of shit shilled mostly by the same hipsters who jerk off to big numbers on smartphones and think they're hot shit for it

>eat shit to make him not want to eat good food in the future

The latest version of minecraft is properly multi-threaded, what are you even talking about.

>I don't want to buy him the top of the line so I'll just scrape the bottom with a toothpick instead
You can pick up hardware that will blow a Pi the fuck out over and over and over again for pocket change nowadays. I paid literally $5 for my dual Xeon X5450 workstation and all I needed to do was throw in storage and a GPU which you can get both and still end up paying less than a shitberry pi.

Just buy the core 2 duo optiplex that was mentioned earlier, businesses have switched from them en masse so they're cheap as shit. I know he's 5 and wants to do relatively basic shit, but eventually he won't be 5 and will want to do more. A pi will barely handle YouTube and he wants to play minecraft, not the shitty pi version.

The tower itself will cost as much as a pi and you're going to need to buy keyboard and accessories either way.

Get him an iPad like every other kid his age does.

Minecraft PI v has no online mode

>OP ask Sup Forums should he buy PI for kid
>Sup Forums tolds him that he should not do that
>op ignores and jerk to his opinion

I want to nuke this board

Buy him some old computer parts from craigslist.(60$) Buy an old monitor(15$)

Why not get used thinkpad ?

>Buy used thinkpad for 150 $
>install windows or linux
>everybody happy

Don't listen to Sup Forumsedditors ITT.

Otherwise little shit will grow calling his monitor "the computa" like the drooling half of the american public

This is almost true except with a little patience you can, with the Pi3. And with scripts you can on the earlier models as well.

>He watches YouTube video

and this is where you are wrong kiddo

I had a Raspberry Pi 3B and it SUCKS at YouTube

He has a tablet for YouTube. Anyway, at least he can use the Pi for other things.

just buy a rpi3 and install him chocolate doom, he's gonna love it and will want to be on its raspberry all the fucking time.

You're out of your fucking mind if you think the Raspberry Pi is an acceptable alternative to a cheap desktop.

Just get the kid an Optiplex you cheap bastard.

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-Intel-Core-i3-3-3Ghz-4GB-RAM-250GB-/361878769570?hash=item5441a7cfa2:g:HzAAAOSwopRYeBHa

Just get him a thriftshop computer if you're poor

>core 2 duo dell optiplex
>dell
nigga

They are the cheapest prebuilts and not too large for OP

The whole Raspberry Pi project was about making cheap computers for kids to learn about tech with in the first god damn place you stupid fucks. Stop recommending fucking Thinkpads for a child you clueless dumb bastards.