>20
>Hoping to start learning how to do computer programming
>Know it's a bit late to begin, but there's still hope
>Want to get to a point where I can code simple software
>Going to read through "Learn Python the Hardway"

How long would it take to land a bottom of the barrel programming job?

I'm not exactly brilliant, so I'll likely have difficulty teaching myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

sthurlow.com/python/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Know it's a bit late to begin, but there's still hope

It's not too late to begin. Considering your age you should probably consider getting a degree before trying to land a job though. You have lots of time.

I have an issue that I can't ignore though.

I need to know exactly what computer programming entails before I commit myself to a degree in it.

Read a proper book instead of LPTHW

Do you know one that's better as an introductory course? I'm very lost as to what I'm doing, and I'm running through this book right now.

user you can't do it. Trust me, give up before it's too late and your hopes are too high and settle for a menial job that requires little to no knowledge about programming. That's the best you can do. Don't listen to people giving you false hopes.

>How long would it take to land a bottom of the barrel programming job?
Learn HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, and JQuery. Make some websites that are slightly more elaborated Bootstrap Sample Pages and showcase them on a website. Congratulations, you're a junior Front-End Web Developer.

Will I at least be able to program whatever idea I have in my brain for software?

lol no

Learn c# instead. Easy to teach yourself and plenty of jobs (at least in my area). Get to the point where you understand the basics and can make simple programs like a calculator. Then you should be good for Jdev/trainee positions.

Learning a bit of SQL is always valuable too.

not him, but I read python for dummies when I was like 11
this was from very little prior knowledge of programming, I basically knew it existed and was a lot of abbreviated words and symbols
it was a great introduction, definitely better than anything the fucking retard zed shaw has written

>better than anything that fucking retard zed shaw has written

Do people just hate him because he said Python3 is shit?

It does sound better than Zed Shaw's teaching method.

It feels like he's asking me to make error after error without really understanding what I'm doing.

I'm not sure though.
Maybe it really is something born from trial and error.

If you have a college degree in something tech related it shouldn't take long. Took me about 3 months from graduation. Show competency and a desire to learn (thats what a degree does) and you'll be okay.

Here's the truth, the code you write is going to be fucking awful. Even with with 4 years of school in a programing related major its going to be absolutely fucking terrible. The company knows this. IF you are lucky you'll get paired with a mid to senior level developer for a few months who will then show you all the ways that you suck and are doing it wrong

python is worst language to learn as a first language.. even java would be better

no one can do it, not even the best of the best

where do you live

probably in New Delhi, India

The only way to get a job in the tech industry without a degree is by having good references, a good portfolio, and by getting really fucking good at passing technical interviews. So yeah either go to school or start pumping out websites and applications while reading up on programming questions. Also you will probably still want to invest in a degree of some kind, even if it is in something stupid like English.

Instead of asking us, why don't you just start and enjoy the ride?

>people complaining about book choice
It doesn't fucking matter. You'll need to read lots of books. I started with the following tutorial and now I'm reverse engineering C code for fun.
sthurlow.com/python/

Don't start with Python, especially not that trash book.

Read an algorithms/data structures book that uses some strongly typed classic language like C (doesn't matter if the book is from the 80's, the algorithms haven't changed, although C has a bit).

Start with The C Programming Language book if you want more of an intro to C.

If you want to do it right, start with learning programming in assembly and once you have a good grasp on that, the rest will come so easy to you. Moving on to C will be a breeze (and then C++ or C# if you want), and then moving on to stuff like Python/JavaScript will be a cake walk.

For mathematics, you should be fine as long as you have a decent grasp on Linear Algebra, Calculus, basic boolean logic, etc, but really the strongest programmers are the ones who love math (the dumb code monkeys spend their life fiddling with front end javascript bullshit)

Don't listen to any thing in this post (except maybe the math part but even that is bullshit.)

See There is no "learning it right". Learning one language first isn't going to ruin your data structure hymen.

Hi pajeet. How's the javascript treating you? Make a pretty front-end?

>If you don't want to learn assembly you are a pajeet lol

How's unemployment treating you fizzbuzzer?

I got employed before I even graduated college my man. And I can also do more than you because I wasn't one of those kiddies who screamed "why do I have 2 lern math i only wanna make video game xDDD"

It's not late user, I've known people of 25 years old that learned to program and now are web devs.
Just start with C and then jump to the other paradigms to understand how they work.

Hey, I myself was about to start learning programming, I've been working 2 jobs to afford a few books and kind of motivate myself to get into a better situation. I was looking to get into programming as a job, even a low paying programming monkey job would pay more than what I'm doing now. and I was thinking of starting with Head First Java to try getting into it as quickly as I could, and later getting into C or C++, I heard what I assume is memes, about Java programmers not being able to learn languages like C later on.

The author of "Learn X The Hard Way" isn't even a programmer himself.

My advice: get an internship first.
If it turns out you suck, your coworkers will understand since you're implied to be almost entirely without experience.
If it turns out you're decent, you can try moving up to entry-level positions after your internship is over.

if you just want a job, ride the Javascript hipster meme train.

Learn the MEAN stack.