/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Previously: /t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Search for software by category: linuxlinks.com/Software/, directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
Search alternatives to common applications: alternativeto.net/, linuxalt.com/
Themes, artwork, and more: opendesktop.org/
Desktop environments and window managers: xwinman.org/
Distro search: distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All

Computers preloaded with GNU/Linux and libre firmware: gnu.org/links/companies.html
Have an idea for a new software/feature? Want to make bucks by making free software?: bountysource.com/

News: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home, webupd8.org/, linuxjournal.com/, lwn.net/
Gaming news: gamingonlinux.com/, linuxgameconsortium.com/

Learn the command line by playing: mprat.org/Terminus/
Learn what a specific command is for:
$ man
$ info
$ help
Don't know what to look for? $ apropos
For advanced users: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros): wiki.archlinux.org, wiki.gentoo.org

Learn more about Free Software: gnu.org/
/fglt/'s website: fglt.nl/
/fglt/'s copypasta collection: p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/torrent/6982330/Stata_12_(Linux__all_versions)_-_FULL_INSTALL
fosdem.org/2017/news/2017-02-05-important-security-notice/
mirrors.slackware.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You /fglt/s are making these threads too fast again

Is there any way to get stata on linux without having to buy the CD?

GNU/Linux*

GNU+Linux*

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:fc2322f4311bebf56e0378a641f9ebdc17d66d76&dn=Stata+12+%28Linux%2C+all+versions%29+-+FULL+INSTALL&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fpublic.popcorn-tracker.org%3A6969

you know how to use magnets right?

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

GNU (with Linux added)*

sorry huns, i am running Ubuntu 16.04

Just switched about a month ago and the curve is somewhat steep but the gnome interface in particular is breddy ebin. Only thing I miss is some compatabiliy issues, such as stata

+GNU+Linux*

thepiratebay.org/torrent/6982330/Stata_12_(Linux__all_versions)_-_FULL_INSTALL

or run your windows version on WINE

Unfortunately I cannot torrent anything.

What are some good distros to start with? I only have experience with Ubuntu

It was only 20 minutes, sperglord.

why doesn't this work?

$ mkdir foo bar
$ echo 'Hello, World!' > foo/hello.txt
$ ln -s foo/hello.txt bar/hello.txt
$ cat bar/hello.txt
cat: bar/hello.txt: No such file or directory

but this does?

$ mkdir foo
$ echo 'Hello, World!' > foo/hello.txt
$ ln -s foo/hello.txt hello.txt
$ cat hello.txt
Hello, World!

when do you need to use the --relative option or use the absolute path?

hmm if only there was a way to download illegal copies of commercial software, and maybe even a forum with a whole section for Linux software that was run by Russians, because Russians are the best race ever, the best IP pirates ever, and have a large and strong Linux user community.

Make a keybind for a script that launches Spotify, sleeps for a second and then i3-msg moves it to the right workspace.

look again, /nglt/

Alternate workaround I just did that seems to work well enough:
for_window [class="Spotify"] move to workspace $workspace5
any reason to bother with a script instead?

Can you download from an ftp? I could torrent it and upload it to Sup Forumsftp.

Devuan.

>Ubuntu 16.04
>the curve is somewhat steep

although I guess if you use a retarded distro with a retarded community it's not going to help you understand anything

My bad, I though it was going fast but suddenly everybody just stopped posting.

GNU/Linux*

my asshole netctl start job keeps failing every time I start up my system so I have to manually unfuck it to get my wifi working

anyone experience this before? what do. it works perfectly fine on my thinkpad but not on this computer

Th-that'd be nice
Rude. Apologize.
i wouldn't know

Other user here. I started linux 8 years ago. I always love those idiots bitching 'bout the choice of distro. Not that I am calling you an idiot...

fosdem.org/2017/news/2017-02-05-important-security-notice/

your yfw when dumb groupies got pwned

When will you grow out of Arch and Gentoo memes?

You didn't start Linux, Torvalds did.

when the average age of Sup Forums is over 18

Ok, let me put it on my seedbox.

>seedbox
what's that?

>when do you need to use the --relative option or use the absolute path?
you just answered your own question. ln by default does not rewrite the target to be relative to the link

***GNLinuxU*//***

a little computer I use for torrenting, a server

it's basically a cheap VPS pre set up for torrenting things, from a provider who's prepared to thumb their nose at DMCA notices and such.

i see, so this is what people are using stuff like rasberries for?

I accidentally don't like people bitching about things that could have been said in a more specific way but are totally clear either way.

Stop bitching and talk about GNU+Linux

How does one create a script?
The programme I am attempting to install instructs the following script to be created:

(programme location) -Wl,-r185,-p187 -f$1.blahblahblah$2 \
-r$1 -L/usr/blahblahblah/
rm -f tempfn

G G G
N N N
U U U
/ / /
L L L
i i i
n n n
u u u
x x x
***GNU/Linux*****xuniL/UNG***
x x x
u u u
n n n
i i i
L L L
/ / /
U U U
N N N
G G G

So, what terminal are you guys using. Pls respond. URxvt here.

The best.

termite

So, what distro are you guys using. Pls respond. Arch here.

Killyourselfbuntu

The best.

So, what ethnicity are you guys using. Pls respond. Slav here.

I started using Linux 15 years ago. No distro will make it impossible for you to learn basic Linux fundamentals or "proper" use, and no distro will make you learn that shit automatically. That said, there are certain distros that discourage it, or make it more difficult, or add so much useless crap on top of it that it either inhibits the learning process or makes you learn things the wrong way. And having a retarded or autistic user community doesn't help either.
I was just taken aback because Ubuntu is supposed to be one of those "it's so easy and everything just werqs" distros where you can use it without having to learn anything. Of course, that whole premise doesn't work at all.

My desktop runs Mint because I am not autistic. My test servers run ubuntu and fedora.

>Mint
Why don't you like security

he said he isn't autisic

if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide

Half an hour to download the torrent and I'll upload it to the ftp.

yfw you install Slackware and realize what it's like to finally have a good OS on your computer

criminals don't care if you're doing anything wrong or not user

Slackware is even more autistic than Arch and Gentoo. It's literally one level before switching to BSD.

Hey guys, installing ubuntu for the first time, I want to be able to dual boot it with Windows 7, ubuntu being on a 120GB SSD and Windows being on my 1TB drive. I unplugged my 1TB just to be safe, but is there any chance it could hurt something regarding the windows boot?

Pic related is where I'm at, I selected Erase disk and install ubuntu (on the SSD)

they have to obey laws. america should criminalize encryptions.

CYKA БЛЯДЬ

delete system 32

what?

pls respond

don't bully the noobs faggot
they'll turn 360° and walk away from linux

I am trying it and on this page. The first step of the installation is like Gentoo?

Almost no beginner should go debian netinstall or arch. No beginner distro discourages anything. And yes, they indeed do werk ootb.

For people who just want a working non ms or apple pc, a beginner linux distro is perfect and may encourage them to dig deeper, use the shell and hack a script.

For people interested in linux, wanting to learn more, a beginner distro is perfect because they ARE beginners, the distro WILL WORK and they CAN slowly adapt to the env.

Just because you did not have a beginner distro because non existed, that does not mean that you need to FUCKING BITCH about distro choice.

And btw "basic linux fundamentals" and "proper" use? Are you stupid? You are replying on a reply to a reply to someone who claims to like Gnome.

GNU/Linux*

>Mint isn't secure

Explain yourself.

forgot pic

I thought this was the friendly Linux thread

they have a blacklist for vital system packages like linux, systemd, xorg, dbus, etc
these packages don't get any updates/security fixes, unless the user enables them (and may end up with an unstable system)

Mint uses deprecated NSA/openssl. I wouldn't do anything important on it.

GNU/Linux

It sort of simply works

dafuq is with your background?

that guy is not me

Desktop wallpaper leaking through due to partial transparency.

Are you still here? So far looks nice.

>more autistic than Arch
>no systemd
>no bleeding edge
>installer
>you can easily rollback packages
>you can easily merge new versions of config files your old modified ones
>comes with tons of actually useful software

>more autistic than Gentoo
>binary packages

riiiiiiiiight

If by that you mean downloading the installation DVD image, then yes.
Or if you mean booting into the installation environment and partitioning your disk(s) using fdisk/cfdisk, then yes.
Other than that, I doubt it. I've never installed Gentoo. Slackware is my first and last distro.
I know that Gentoo has to compile everything while Slackware just installs binary packages from the installation media, or from a local directory, or from an http/ftp mirror. Then it lets you configure most of the basic system stuff using curses dialogs. Then you reboot, log in as root, useradd yourself, uncomment the commented-out timeserver lines in /etc/ntp.conf, visudo to uncomment out the line that enables the wheel group, open /etc/slackpkg/mirrors to uncomment either the 14.2 or the -current mirrors.slackware.com, and then you're pretty much done unless you need stuff that wasn't included in the full distro, like a DE that isn't KDE or XFCE, or a WM that isn't fluxbox or windowmaker, or a browser that isn't firefox, or Sup Forums-approved memeware like ranger or sxiv or mpd or mpv, or 32-bit compatibility packages for your 64-bit system

man, that damage control is intense.

It's really really comfy. If you want to do a straight network installation of the -current tree, when you get to SOURCE select the http/ftp option and use
mirrors.slackware.com
as hostname and
slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64
as location

no u

Only the first part, partitioning, everything else is different.

retard question here
what's the difference between
package-name and package-name-git ? i see it a lot in the aur.

I assume -git is even more bleeding edge than the regular version because it pulls source directly from the git tree instead of snapshots?

how do i make a bash script wait for a command that runs something else?
to explain;
launcher -argument value
wait $!
waits for "launcher", but "launcher" quits as soon as it launches the thing i actually want to wait for

yep, "package-name" is typically the latest named release, while "package-name-git" (or -svn, -hg, etc) are generated from the latest available developmental sources
understand they are not tested releases, and may not work properly

didn't mean to quote

How do you make a script for batch use?

you need to explain better or provide a better example. if you have a bash script that launches a program, it won't finish until the program finishes unless you launched the program as a background process

I would be interested to hear your impressions of Slackware compared to whatever distros you have used in the past/use now, and/or compared to the impression of Slackware you had from memes that people shitpost about it. It was my first distro so in every distro I tried later, all I noticed were good things they lacked or bad things they added or ways they were not as convenient, etc.

wine 'c:\sse\sselauncher.exe' -appid 8980
is the specific launcher in question, "smart steam emulator"
it launched steam games without steam (i do own the game, but this is faster and uses less resources compared to running steam)

launcher -argument value && faggot

does the same

Why doesn't at(1) automatically remove jobs after they're finished? I always need to run atrm to cleanup.

program 1 && sleep 2s && program 2

then be more specific please
maybe write pseudo code

>bill gates has announced he will buy linux for $420 million
>mfw

sselauncher.exe launches the game, and quits immediately after
i wait to wait for the game to exit

I'm guessing that sselauncher.exe terminates as soon as it launches your game. This happens for a lot of wine programs. One way to check that this is the case - launch that in a terminal, then once the game launches try to hit enter a few times in that terminal and you should be back in your bash prompt, even though wine errors/diagnostic messages will still get written to the console

if that's the case, not sure what the best way to go about doing what you want would be.