5 minute talk with a programmer

Nice fucking image.
It was completely worth making an entire thread JUST for this.

WTF is on the y axis?

Productivity or concentration I think.

>posting an image
>on an image board

He won't recover from that, that's for sure.

How come a 5 min talk screws up your productivity for a long time after, but plenty of people do the pomodoro technique where they take 5 min breaks every 25 mins, but still maintain high productivity?

They choose to take a break as opposed to being interrupted with some inane shit that's likely not related to the task the person was working on? I'm not even a coder and I can see how this works.

Yeah, but on the pomodoro technique you use a timer, so you don't really choose when you do it.
It suddenly goes off and then you take 5. Yet it works really well, how come being interrupted for 5 min in another sudden way doesn't?

I don't have any experience being interrupted for 5 min by another human.

Because instead of pausing your current train of thought at the ring of a bell, you are having it totally derailed by your boss asking how something completely unrelated to your task is going?

There is a difference between a pause and a distraction user, if you had an attention span that was greater than 30 seconds you'd understand this.

Because he is an autist. And as soon as he has to do something else (talk with someone, a really difficult task for someone like him) he loses all concentration. And it takes a long time to recover and be able to focus again at his previous task.

DUDE
INTROVERTS
LMAO

hey have some respect for the socially awkward asshole, you have no idea the amount of work we put into it to fit in and hold a job

label your fucking axes

"dude developers are so smart and management is so dumb xD"

shut up

Nice projection there bud.

It's not even awkward developers, even the most well-adjusted people have trouble keeping complex ideas resident when they've got interruptions.

Mathematicians, musicians, etc, all have varying forms of the same problem.

labeled the axis for you.

I mean it's not like threads are a precious resource that must be preserved like legacy IP addresses.

Because entertaining humans is stressful and exhausting. A 5 min talk for an autist is like asking a normal person to do a 5 minute mile then slapppiong them back in their desk.

that's why before meetings or a distraction you open up notepad or any text editor of choice, or make a comment on your code

and then write a small 3 line paragraph

First line: the project
"I was working on THING"

Second line: the specific part you were working on
"I was trying to do/add/fix/implement/remove X with/on/from Y"

Third line: special note
"I was searching on Google for a Solution"
"I have to open the file that is being downloaded"

this helps because when programming your mind doesn't explicitly think about the current exact position in a project which you are currently working on relative to the whole project itself

furthermore the mere act of writing down the lines helps your memory remember what you where working on, you won't likely need to read the text when you come back

for fuck sake man, are you sure you're not just chronically rusty due to avoiding social interactions forever?

memes aside, autistic sounds too serious, and claiming to be autistic is retarded, real autists are too dysfunctional to even use Sup Forums or even comprehend what's going on

Unlabeled Y axis. F

5 mins of relaxing != 5 mins of changing the context, level of concentration, and your train of thought

Same reason polyphasic sleepers sleep less but need to follow a very strict schedule. Five minutes of interrupted sleep = whole day messed up

You're all interpreting this wrong. This is the corrected chart with labeled axis.

Except I'm the blue line, because I have multiple lines of thought which is basically like parallel personalities but more lightweight.
It's basically like what threads are to processes.

It's productivity, you dingus.

anime website