/ct/- Coffee Technology

Morning.
Ive been in the market for a good coffee maker for awhile. Bought a hamilton and I received a msg("Err...") across the LCD and returned in.

What does Sup Forums do for coffee? Also awhile back, I read that an engineer had scripts that sent a telnet to the coffee maker to start his pot in the morning. Anyone got something similar? For FS, it is 2017, my coffee should be able to be automated if I can send a text from a 1" screen on my wrist.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/NARKOZ/hacker-scripts/blob/master/coffee/fucking.coffee
bonavitaworld.com/products/thermal-carafe-coffee-brewer-8-cup
amazon.ca/Breville-Café-Espresso-Machine-ESP8XL/dp/B0002VAFWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-substore&ie=UTF8&qid=1486924243&sr=1-1
a.co/6hjPAun
seattlecoffeegear.com/blog/2016/10/18/top-three-budget-espresso-machines/
intelligentsiacoffee.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

github.com/NARKOZ/hacker-scripts/blob/master/coffee/fucking.coffee
Link here for the telnet script

here are the requirements for a good coffee maker for anyone else looking
>stainless steel craftsmanship
>coffee pot itself is thermal for 4-8 hours of hot coffee
>single brew available
>can start it from the network
>can hold a large repo of beans
>can ground the beans
>moves ground beans from cargo to load
>can take inventory on the coffee and send alert when it is almost depleted

>Not hand brewing your own pour over coffee

moka pot or gtfo

My white brethen

>machines brewing
>good coffee
Pick one. These fine folks get it.

Buy a fucking French press and be done, automatic coffee makers are a bad meme.

>pour over
Enjoy your coffee-flavored water

>Pour-overs are hard

Poorfag here.
It is the cheapest way for me.
Anyone else ?

This is good for tea.

Mah nigga

I'm a lazy faggot so I use instacoffe or the machine at work

Terrible coffee keeps the morale up and the pretentious hipsters away

My father-in-law gave me pic related for christmas. It's mesmerizing

works pretty well for cowfee.
I get about four cups out of four spoons of coffee.
I don't have to pay for coffee filters and it tastes pretty damn amazing. The only downside is that you have to clean it out everytime you use it.

I used insta coffee for almost a year now, i made the change a few weeks ago.
I spend most of my time at the dorm, so the seven bucks for the press was a good investment, since this stuff is convenient for an entire study group.

I used to drink 4 cups in a sitting, but I bought a Keurig a few years back and it's been helping me portion.

I still get an XL from Dunkin' every day, though.

The wife (read: my own money) got me this K450 unit a few months ago, I like it.

Said no one ever. They just make terrible coffee.

During the day I use pic related. Cheap, reliable and healthier than any other way of making coffee. Just use some Douwe Egberts coffee (Black or Cafe Rood) and all is fine with the world. Plus the pot stays warm for 30 minutes which is fine, old coffee tastes shit anyway.
After dinner however I use a French press as it does taste better. Only problem is that if I would use it for every cup I drink my cholesterol would go from "good" to "screaming arteries" within a year.

>healthier
wut
because of the coffee oils? lel

I use this generic coffee maker. Had it for the last three years. It has a regulator at the top, which should regulate the "aroma" of the coffee, but I guess its just another name of temperature control. Overall I'm really happy with it, but I always wanted an espresso maker.

Just yesterday I found this cheap one on a local craigslist for only 10 euros. Its called Krups 963. The reviews were fine, so I bought it. Gonna pick it up today.

Exactly, cafestol greatly increases your cholesterol levels. One cup of unfiltered coffee contains 3.5mg of cafestol, drinking 4 to 6 cups of unfiltered coffee raises your cholesterol by up to 6% a month. One cup of filtered coffee contains 0.1mg of cafestol, drinking 4 to 6 cups doesn't do shit.
I drink 3 or 4 cups a day, so like I said if I go full French press my arteries would probably start to scream withing a year.

I own a French press and a chemex, but for daily coffee I don't have time for that shit.

I use pic related on a digital outlet timer for weekday brewing. I also make cold brew and have that on hand, so there's always the option.

Making pour over coffee daily is a meme. French press is a meme. They have their purposes but if you use them daily you're either a NEET or a woman.

It's fun to make coffee with that and it tastes good too.
I have three of the original ones, all different sizes.

> Killing the planet at an alarming speed

and then there's this mother fucker

Just brewed myself another cup.

it's not like making french press coffee is actually *that* time consuming.

though I have using the drip more and more lately. it tastes virtually the same as a pour over.

Got this thing for Christmas and finally managed to brew my first pot that didn't have any off flavors or sourness. Turns out using good beans in a good grinder with the right grind setting is more important than I had thought...
It's kind of fun to watch though. It simulates the pour-over method so it sends hot water in "pulses", complete with the bloom at the beginning.
And it's retard-level easy to use and clean.

enjoy your 60¢ a cup you stupid fucking tripfag cuck.

i dont know about him but i use my own coffee which drives the price down to typical prices per cup

and, on that note, keurigs (at least of the generation I own) make really shitty coffee, it brews neither hot enough nor long enough

why is it you tell someone you drink bud light and they look at you like you invited their mom to be on the business end of a blowbang but when it comes to coffee kuerig is widely accepted

There is absolutely no correlation between dietary cholesterol and HDL cholesterol levels.

For quick coffee I use my aeropress. It makes a great cup of coffee and is simple to use. If I have more time I use my technivorm moccamaster. It's a little pricey but worth it. I'd like to save up and get a nice espresso machine in the future.

Edge lords thinking they're cool cause they drink fancy IPA hipster artisan beers.

The newer Keurig machines like the one I own, the K550 has programming which has temperature and brew control. There's a [STRONG] mode that I think mists the water instead of dripping which allows for a longer brew.

It also preheats water so coffee is always on-demand.

Because Keurig, Nespresso and Senseo at least tastes like what it is trying to be. I mean what's next, calling Heineken a quality pilsner?

For the time being I would never buy a Keurig. THey do brew terrible weak coffee. I haven't tried a newer one though.

If the "Keurig brews terrible shit coffee" stigma ever goes away I'd consider getting one because they *are* convenient.

You should try aeropress. Cheap, and in my opinion it's better than french press. The most important part is fresh beans, though. If the beans are much older than a couple of weeks, the cup will be shit no matter what method you use.

just coming back to the thread now. Glad to see this didn't die or get the banhammer. I truly want some real technology behind coffee.
I have 3 of these. Its not poorfag, its good coffee.
How does that work? I can see it pours coffee eventually.
I've felt this way many times. Holding Starbucks vs. making a quick fix quickly paints my coworkers faces.
Any reason you had to portion? IE health hazards I should be aware of? I drink about 6-8 cups a day. Dunks is sugar water where I am.
See second post where I spaz and list my requirements. What you have looks better than mine now.
Never considered the digital outlet timer.
This guy fucking gets it.
I blow about $210 a week in coffee. $.60 is a sneeze.
Saw these at Target (artisan coffee shit) and laughed.
looked it up. Only does single cups?

Alright boys looks like Im making an automated coffee maker. Time to break out the CAD software before sending in stainless steel requests.

I just use a bialetti or moka pot with some cheap coffee or just instant coffee powder in my milk fuck all of you

im still waiting for someone to come out with a glass aeropress. the plastic gets nasty after a while.

Those are two downsides to the method. They say on their faq that they're not going to release a glass version because it's intended for travel, so you'd have to get it custom made. It only does a single cup, so it is a bit more work, but I do think it's worth it.

I only intend to replace it in favor of an espresso machine when I ascend from poorfaggotry.

Glass would be sweet but my god hack you seen the fuckups people do with an aeropress expecially inverted method? I can just imagine the lawsuits resulted from people slamming that shit and getting glass shards in their wrist

Mine's over a year old and the plastic isn't nasty at all. On the contrary, it looks just as clean as when I took it out of the box.
Have you tried cleaning it immediately after making coffee, as the manual recommends that you do ? Plastic stains easily if you let it sit for a while.

Damn right.

This is what it takes to make great brewed coffee:

Freshly roasted whole coffee beans between 3 and 14 days from roasting

Quality burr grinder able to produce a consistent particle size.

Gooseneck water kettle with a thermometer or electric temperature control.

Electric scale with 0.1g precision.

Chemex, other pour over, or EsproPress French press (pour-over if you want to taste more brights and less oils, French press if vice versa).

Filtered water.

Using these tools you can repeatably make perfectly extracted coffee.

All automatic machines are inconsistently extracting garbage by comparison.

As opposed to?

What fuckups ?
I'm curious now.

Can anyone recommend a decent espresso machine? I know the cheap ones in the $100 range are garbage, and I'm not opposed to having to spend ~$300 for a nice one if it's worth it.

I know these fuckers easily go into the thousands for commercial ones, but I would hope you can get a decent home-use one for a few hundred bucks

dunno about the tripfag but I use a Keurig with some re-usable coffee-pods that I just load with ground coffee

I either grind it myself from whole beans or just buy pre-ground if I'm lazy

It's super convenient to be able to get a cup of whatever I want in about 2 minutes before I head off to work

I totally get people's objection to disposable k-cups, and I don't buy them myself, but single cup brewing systems are actually pretty good. I haven't had a Keurig fail yet after several years, but maybe I'm lucky

No. Pour overs can make excellent coffee, they just offer a different flavor profile from French press.

Yeah, that could be an issue. I've actually been trying out the inverted method recently and I burned myself twice while I was still getting used to it. I think I have the process down at this point, so I probably won't burn myself unless I'm careless or tired.

The advantage of inverted is that it prevents partially-brewed coffee from dripping into the cup, so you end up with a cleaner cup.

It's not the stains, but rather the cracks that run through the plastic after extended use. I've been using mine for over four years. I definitely clean it after each cup so that it doesn't get nasty from stains.

I really don't understand why people like Aeropress so much. Most of the popular recipes using water below 195f amount to warm cold-brewing, with all of the flavour extraction limitations that implies.

>office
>either instant mud water with caffeine or just water
>want to taste something other than mud water with caffeine
So I want to get a french press, question is, I also need ready made ground coffee.

Where do I go? The only place I know that sells that kind of shit is Starbucks, and seriously I'm at the point where I want to choke myself if I'm having another cup of pic related.
It doesn't tell me how grainy the coffee is, would any be fine?

Don't bother. A half decent home set up for espresso will cost you ~$1,000 between a decent machine and a decent grinder, and you won't go through espresso beans fast enough, and they are messy and require regular maintenance.

Really? Glad I never drink French press.

The fresh beans part are so true.
I think it's a pain in the ass to wash, that's why I switched over to V60. Much better taste too.

Cheapo espresso machine but it doesn't make good coffee. is the best alternative especially if you want a bigger cup.

It's convenient to use and compact for travel . I don't know about the brew methods that you've seen, but I use 205F water and the extraction seems good to me.

I have a cleaning process down that's pretty efficient, so I don't mind cleaning it that much. I have yet to try a pour-over method, though.

bonavitaworld.com/products/thermal-carafe-coffee-brewer-8-cup

This is one of the best drip machines under $500. If you are not using a separate grinder already, you are fucking up.

Yeah, with 205f water it's fine. I guess it makes sense for travel use.

Go to Starbucks, ask for a cafe mocha or some shit (hot chocolate with espresso).

Seriously? There is no way to make decent espresso at home?
I heard decent things about this one:
amazon.ca/Breville-Café-Espresso-Machine-ESP8XL/dp/B0002VAFWA/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-substore&ie=UTF8&qid=1486924243&sr=1-1

>Kuckrig
>2017
How does that DRM add to the taste of your processed garbage "coffee"?

The feeling of accomplishment for bypassing said DRM just adds that special something to the taste.

I know the Bodum Chambord is the de facto french press to buy, but I want something that doesn't require a breakable carafe.

Would stainless steel ones be appropriate? Such as: a.co/6hjPAun

Would gladly take any other recs

My office has one of these, along with a high-end grinder.
Makes great coffee but the design is just incredibly stupid and difficult to use without someone showing you how.

By contrast, makes the same quality coffee but anyone who's used a $20 Mr. Coffee brewer could start using it immediately without any help. Makes it worth the higher price imo

sometimes really bad coffee will trigger a gag reflex (like most of the processed Keurig shit)

Is it a coincidence that I feel the exact same way about DRM

but congrats on bypassing it

>Bodum Chambord
they're all the same shit
a stainless steel plunger in a fucking piece of glass

Just go full stainless steel from the cheapest mainstream brand

Italianfag here, only true answer

As an Europoor I have no idea how coffee from the Keurig cups tastes. All I remember is an article about Keurig using NFC chips(?) in their cups as DRM and how you could bypass it by simply putting the top bit of a genuine cup on top off a knock off cup.

go to a fucking grocery store and buy ground coffee you faggot.

or go to a grocery store and buy whole bean and grind it. you faggot.

this

Or just use an old style one, the kind where you just pour a cup of water in the top.

>coffee
Get on with the times grandpa

trust me, you're not missing anything.
The expensive """"""""""""""coffee""""""""""""""" in the states is either a sugar/syrup/ice slushee or overprocessed garbage that makes you want to vomit after one sip.

To only expensive good coffee is espresso, if properly prepared

The EsproPress is the gold standard for press pots.

>I'm fresh from Sup Forums and what is this?

It's mediocre but brews easy as fuck for retards

Of note is that old models don't even get to 195 degrees which is literally where coffee starts to to taste like coffee, meaning they will without fail produce shitty cups

>heart attack in a can for 2,50 each with less coffeine and more carbs

yaay....

Coffee is a drug. The worst people are the ones who
>don't talk to me until i've had my cawfeeeee
>if I don't have three cups a day I can't even function
The only acceptable caffeine drinks are the really sweet mochas + fraps from gas stations.

I am actually an old fag and addicted to redbull. Chilled redbull, all that instant sugar and caffeine being aborbed into your body is a heavenly feel...

This makes good espresso?

>heart attack
You got any source?

it's shit because you build up a tolerance to a high level of both caffeine and sugar if you drink them regularly and then need to be chugging your canned diabetes daily to have any effect

I can second this. I actually have to drink different brands to get any sort of use out of them.

you should invest in a nice, 300$+ espresso-grade grinder before you invest in an espresso machine. A bad grinder can ruin an excellent machine and a good grinder can be used for almost any brew method.

I suggest you start watching seattle coffee gear videos to get a feel for what the options are.
seattlecoffeegear.com/blog/2016/10/18/top-three-budget-espresso-machines/

>The only acceptable caffeine drinks are the really sweet mochas + fraps from gas stations.

>shit sugar water mixed with cat piss tier "coffee"
>acceptable
yeah, no
Sugar is by far more harmful than caffeine as a substance and is in fact linked to addiction in the same way illegal drugs are as it has the same effects on dopamine receptors.

when you buy coffee, make sure you look for a roast date on the bag. Roasts older than a month will probably taste like shit and I see bags all the time that are like half a year old sitting on shelves.

Nice coffee houses will typically stock bags. For like 2$ above grocery price, you can order nice preground freshroasted coffee delivered directly from the roasters. if you google, you will probably find more local roasters in your area

intelligentsiacoffee.com/

look at an areopress if you're going to single-serve. It's all bpa-free plastic and super sturdy

If you're going to take the effort to count the roast date, you would be a damn fool to buy them pre-ground. Grind the beans when you use them.

Otherwise you might as well buy the cheapest shit pre-ground coffee you can find.

Not as good as big machines from cafes but yes, definitively good, the main difference is that this is stronger and more liquid while café's one is more creamy.
This is what every Italian has at home, good and costs nothing, ready in less than 5 minutes

What about this one:

You are looking for a machine that is intended for industrial food service, with industrial food service volume.

That won't really work at all
For the machine to even go trough beans like its suppose to, you would need at the least 15-20 people to share cups with.

This.

I've had good coffee from coffee pots, keurigs are shit, but a good maker will suffice.
After trying one of these babies, I can't go back. It's too damn good.
I kinda want to go full autist and buy fresh beans and a grinder for it.

I love my moka pot and used it for 2 years before I invested in an espresso machine.

I found it the trickiest brew method behind the espresso machine. - The grind size, temp of the water, temp of the heating element, and ground dispersion affect the output. If you're willing to tackle the learning curve, it'll be worth it.

youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI

ive got this little nigga behind my computer setup.
r8

>I kinda want to go full autist and buy fresh beans and a grinder for it.

Do it. Autism has never tasted so good.
At the worst you'll be wearing a manbun and flower-print shirts in 6 months.

>The advantage of inverted is that it prevents partially-brewed coffee from dripping into the cup, so you end up with a cleaner cup.

I've found you can avoid like 99% of that by using a gooseneck kettle and pre-soaking the grounds. Wet grounds won't let any water through until the whole batch is saturated.

I brew in a 3 cup glass carafe too, so I know when it leaks.

>1998+19
rfc 2324-compliant coffee device when?

>I kinda want to go full autist and buy fresh beans and a grinder for it.
You mean you haven't been doing this? Do you at least get them ground to an appropriate size or do you just buy it at grocery stores ground super-fine for drip coffeemakers?