So what is this new HDR bullshit?

So what is this new HDR bullshit?

So in general High Dynamic Range can be "used" to create image and display image. Even half life 2 had HDR so its nothing new in videogames. Now about displaying HDR- most important thing is color depth, max contrast and max luminosity(hue, saturation and lightness ).
So does HDR TV just means that they upgraded their chink shit factories and are now trying to sell the same shit but with better overall quality?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236453
downloads.atomos.com/support/HDR_Tech_Guide.pdf
pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/cat/mondisp/articles/HDR_X300_explained.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lol HDR when talking about displays is discussing how much contrast, color bit depth, and levels of brightness that can be displayed on the same frame.

Essentially an HDR TV should have a minimum of 1500:1 contrast ratio, though the spec really calls for 3000:1 or higher. A normal TV panel wiil have ~6-12 stops of brightness it can display, an HDR panel will have a minimum of 12, and up to 18 stops for professional panels. HDR also requires 10 bit colors which helps reduce color banding issues when showing more contrast and brightness.

This means you can have a movie with very dark sections, and very bright luminous areas in the same frame, without horrible color banding, brightness bleed, or other issues.

Currently VA panels with large LED backlight arrays are the cheapest and easiest way to get an HDR display, but this BARELY meets the HDR spec, for true HDR panels you need OLED currently.

So in generally i was right? Media is forcing OLED displays and maybe 10-bits display depth. There is nothing else to it.

>There is nothing else to it
I mean if you're ignoring the entire point of being able to display more stops of brightness...sure Same thing.

You're being obtuse, or you're actually an idiot.

>oled
Oh man how long that will take. Especially since its been in development for almost 10 hours. Yet all we got is cellphone implementation and a couple of samsung tvs

So are you saying you don't understand what brightness stops are? Or are you just ignoring that part because you have no argument against it?

HDR has been around for years, both my IPS monitors are HDR

>IPS monitors are HDR
I don't believe there are any currently produced IPS panels that meet the HDR specification, so lol no.

it has 100% SRGB it does support 10-bit colors

...okay?

Part of the HDR spec is greater than 1500:1 contrast ratio.

Even the BEST IPS panels right now have about 1200:1

Also brightness stops, yours likely can only display ~10. Whereas 12 is the minimum for HDR>

TV manufacturers regularly need to invent new things to make you keep buying new TVs.

In Half-Life 2 the game is rendered in an HDR framebuffer and then tonemapped to LDR before being output. In a modern TV/monitor the HDR framebuffer can be displayed directly.

>part of the HDR spec
its largely about the 10-bit color support

also it has 100,000,000:1 contrast ratio according to the spec sheet

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236453

It doesn't say that it's contrast. So it's probably "dynamic" contrast. Which means fuckall.

It has an 8-bit panel
Also it's STATIC contrast ratio is 1000:1

I should know, I own two of them.

>The dynamic contrast is a measurement of the brightest white a monitor can produce as compared to the blackest black — not necessarily at the same time or in the same scene. The static contrast measures dark and light in a static shot, or the highest contrast ratio achievable within the same scene at the same time.

I'd say the contrast doesn't fucking mean anything seeing as its measuring blacks and whites. It being an AH-IPS display having 10-bit color support for all intents and purposes its HDR "ready"

It doesn't have 10 bit colors, it has an 8 bit panel.

Now it's a TRUE 8 bit panel which is much better than the normal 6 bit + FRC. But it isn't a true 10-bit panel.

Again, I have two of them.

The blackest blacks are often achieved by "turning off" the display when a completely black image is displayed. But when just a bit of it is not completely black, it will stay on and produce a much brighter black.

There are 10-bit IPS monitors. I own a Barco MDCC-6230 that has full 10 bit depth color.

Yes, but as has been discussed, 10 bit is only a single part of the HDR specification.

A 10 bit panel ALONE is not an HDR ready panel.

However, pair a 10-bit VA panel with enough LED backlights in a proper dimmable array, and you DO have a low grade HDR ready panel, which is what most of the HDR panels currently on the market are.

Im not denying that image quality on those displays is a lot better. I'm just buttblasted by abusing this term in marketing. Normie see HDR logo, normie buys. its the same with iphones. Nobody bothers to use their brain and eyes to check if it really looks as good as it's advertised.

That's a good example. I have seen those new shiny candy smartphone displays and i want that technology in my tv. BUT nobody ever bragged about HDR and other meme buzzwords with smartphones. I understand that its not the selling point for smartphones but its something I consider important.

>and a couple of samsung tvs

LG you dumb fuck

What the fuck is a stop of brightness?

>abusing this term in marketing
Except this is the exact opposite of abusing it.
HDR is a well-defined standard and only conforming TVs get the certification.
Stop being a butthurt faggot.

Basically it can show more granularity in brightness without the bright spots bleeding into the dark spots.

downloads.atomos.com/support/HDR_Tech_Guide.pdf
pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/cat/mondisp/articles/HDR_X300_explained.pdf

some info in there if you have the time and know a bit about the tech side already.

>HDR is a well-defined standard and only conforming TVs get the certification.
HDR is a term that was used in photography. Often meaning that you make 2 photos, one where you get all bright details and one where you get the dark ones. and the combine the pictures.

>hdr requires 10-bit color
SDR requires 12-bit to be banding-free.