He still doesn't have an ssd

>he still doesn't have an ssd
what's your excuse

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have one for OS. But never for storage:
>power off mechanical drive with data
>store for years
>power back on
>data still there
Meanwhile
>power off sdd/flash storage for couple months/years
>electrons leak from gates, corrupting data
Flash storage > 512GB is a meme, as you eventually have to transfer any data to alternative media anyway. Pic related

My current drive is still working and having a quick boot isn't going to make me more productive nor is writing files a little faster which is hardly even noticeable. Not an excuse just a solid reason.

>get new Intel SSD 3D Xpoint
>SSD lasts for 12petabyte + writes

>100 GB per day daily SSD usage
>lasts more than 3 centuries of constant usage

WTF I love SSD now

>he doesn't use M.2 NVME

you are right i dont have a ssd

i have 2

Third world country.
I literally don't care about a few seconds to a minute less when booting up encrypted.

Everything apart from boot feels instant on my HDD anyways
t. not wincuck/mactoddler

poor

I do, since like 2010 or so

I bought my first SSD for my laptop a few years back. Since then I've put SSDs in fucking everything, they're great.

>SSD boot drive
>HDD storage drive

Anyone who's still not done this is a retarded normie or a 3rd worlder. Even my little 12" ThinkPad has an mSATA SSD and a 2.5" SSD in the SATA bay.

Can confirm
t. Third worlder

>ssd
>not bootstrapping your whole OS into a ramdisk
are you too poor to afford ram ?

I honestly can't believe that there are people who wouldn't spend 40-50$ on even a used Samsung/Intel SSD and make their lives much better. This goes tenfold for laptop users when it comes to battery life and hibernation/sleep.

Desktop I can understand somewhat, but if you have a functioning laptop with a functioning battery you have no excuse, literally, NO EXCUSE, to not have an SSD. Even at SATA1 speeds it makes a tremendous difference, even on ancient laptops.

1. Money
2. Lazy to have to have to figure out moving only my os off my drive.
3. Since my computer is on most of the time the slightly slower startup time and app startup times have never come into being something that bothers me that much usually.

Nice try wd shill, no one is going to believe your make believe stories.

>He still doesn't have a M.2 NVMe
Why are you using obsolete tech OP?

I use to think SSDs were a meme, I was very wrong.

got daymmm

Who is this semen demen?

What are good SSD manufacturers?

dont have either, this is also my reason

there aren't really any bad ones aside from cheap chink shit

USB SSDs are a meme

That's like 20x faster than an average USB flash stick

For instance local webshop is selling kingston SSDs. They should be fine right?

My "excuse" (aka reason) is that I have no reason to buy it because I do not perform operations that would benefit from increased performance significantly, and HDDs remain much cheaper

Yes, just check the reviews for the particular model so you don't end up with some ancient slow one.

Fuck no, Kingston are fucking trash
>gave fast SSDs to reviewers
>a bit later changed memory type to cheap slow trash

anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

I have two SSDs actually. Maybe I'll add a third one sometime in the future since I have an empty M.2 slot. For the games. One of my SSDs is half way full from games and the other does caching for web server.

sheeeet

SSDs are great for laptops since I can just close the lid down and stick it into my backpack without waiting for it to go into standby. If that's not enough to convince you there's also 8 second coldboot time and instantly opening programs.

>tfw i use an SSD inside of a USB3 enclosure to boot PC

I'm going to say it right now: SSDs are a meme. Period.
I'm fine using my 3TB HDD on my PC and 1TB HDD on my laptop. Win boots fast enough, programs too. Why should I buy a SSD if...
- it's not cheap
- has less storage than a HDD (+ price/GB)
- has limited writes (can somebody explain this to me? Never understood it. Does this mean that a HDD lives longer than a SSD?)

Seriously tho. Explain why I need a SSD. I'm someone who needs big disk space, I can't live with "just" 500 GB.

SSDs are great for laptops because they wont die when dropped.

Because I bought the base line iMac with a 7200rpm drive to save money. It works fine.

Guy from criminal minds.

This is the only correct answer. HDDs are far more reliable in desktops and servers which are rarely moved.

I use a SSD for server and it's very helpful. I cache on it. When I'm trying to get uncached resources from the server it's always much slower than getting cached resources.

If all you use it for is caching then I'm assuming you don't care if the drive dies. For storage of actual data I wouldn't use one.

I sure as hell don't. I use a WD Gold for permanent storage and an Intel SSD for OS (different from the caching drive).

These drives aren't that unreliable tho.

I live in a third world country and shit is expensive here

>just installed pic related
>everything feels much faster than with the shitty HDD before

Those speeds are absolutely fucked.
You should bet getting ~500MB/s
Did you clone your drive or something?

It's not, this laptop only supports SATA1.

Well that's another thing then.
How old is that thing anyways?
But yeah the speed increase can be felt even with SATA 1
Once you try an SSD, you'll never want to go back to the pure aids that's known as the HDD.

It's a T60p so around 9 years. Not that it matters since it's not my main machine

What a coincidence, I also have a T60P with a Samsung 840 SSD. Although mine is a cheap ass EVO.

here's mine

Great laptop, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Except an identical laptop with modern internals.

I bought a W520 and it's alright, even though the build quality isn't that great any more.

I have a problem with the aspect ratio on newer laptops. 4:3 feels good, it's perfectly shaped for me. 16:10 and nevermind 16:9 are too wide. Hate the shape.

Same, but it's inevitable. I find it tolerable with an 1080p resolution.

>>power off sdd/flash storage for couple months/years
>>electrons leak from gates, corrupting data
utter bullshit. I have an SSD in my PS3. I have not used it in about 14 months. Turned it on for the first time this weekend, updated everything, powered it back off

electron leak is a meme

This user's right. Especially with new ssd improving in every aspect every year

>Bought a cheap 120gb ssd for my desk
>w7 takes 10s to boot (formerly a good minute)
>snappy and responsive OS
>chrome with 30 tabs fully opened in seconds
>mildly riced foobar with a shit ton of plug-ins installed takes only a sec to load (formerly it took a couple of seconds)
Pretty good quality of life upgrade

lets say, lets just say, you are correct that you power the drive off and shit is fucked after time, what is stopping you from having your 1tb ssd, using it till it's either broken or obsolete, then moving data to a new ssd?

had a boot hdd, fucker got hammered so hard on a constant basis that the drive only went 700kbps up to 10mbps when after moving to a ssd the same drive would go 120mbps.

a ssd takes a fuckload of pressure off the system, and why it's recommended to have one as a boot drive at least, literally the single biggest upgrade you can give your pc.

I really want to buy one, but I fear complications when I transfer my OS from my trusty HDD to a SSD.

>tfw tech-illiterate retard

Feels bad man

When 1TB SSDs are available at around $50, I'll get one. Flash memory is only worth the price in phones.

because passed 400~mb read per second, programs and shit don't really load faster with few exceptions. its why when you throw a sata 3 drive and an nvme drive into real world tests, you see no real world benefits outside of working in 100% uncompressed files,

as it stands now, nvme is to expensive to really be good, some day that will change and the price to entry will come down significantly but till then, its a curiosity with little real world use outside of video editing and scratch disc

imagine going from a pentium II 333mhz to a i7 4790k, that's how big an upgrade it feels like.

the only downside is using a computer without an ssd is now painful.

litterally everything preforms better once you take the pressure of a boot drive off a hdd, get a 120/240gb ssd, I forget if 120 is cheaper by enough to make it worthwhile over a 240, and use it as the boot/program drive, will completely change how you use your computer.

that is not a reason you get a ssd, it's to alleviate pressure off the boot drive so everything feels snappier, something that does not show up in benchmarks.

fuck I have a sata2 ssd, and over the years, performance has actually gotten to the point a 5900rpm hdd outdoes it in read speed, but fuck me no seek time at all makes it still so much god damn better.

I'm on eMMC + mSD card master race level, bitch.
SSDs are pieces of shit for autistic gaymers. Kill yourselves

The biggest advantage is not the speeds. It's the lack of delays.
I'm tempted to get one SSD for storage as well. Media files opening instantly are so satisfying.

I had an SSD at work and didn't notice any differences except in Crusader Kings 2 loading times.

Meme

Everything worked fine when I did it yesterday to a Win7 install. And if it fails your data is stil on the HDD anyway.

there are programs that do everything for you with just a single click or you can just reinstall it yourself and it will auto activate if you have windows 10

But I do.

Actually, I have two of them.

>electron leak is a meme
Was it a new SSD? Because it certainly is not a "meme", as it's inherent to flash storage as a whole.
>Especially with new ssd improving in every aspect every year
Consumer SSDs have got worst in the last few year, not better, thanks to cheap TLC.

This