What's the verdict on laptop docks? Yes/no? Recommended models?

What's the verdict on laptop docks? Yes/no? Recommended models?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C631EYU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B00C631EYU&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Only if your laptop has an actual dock.

only makes sense if you have USB-C and not many ports.

Do you work in an office building where you will frequently need to take your laptop to meetings?

Then maybe.

Should be obsolete with thunderbolt 3 and going forward

The new ThinkPad dock for USB C apparently will be a must have for macbook users lel

I guess it will be similar situation for the ultra thi thinkpads

It's useful at work, I don't actually have to take my laptop away from my desk too often, but it would be a PITA if I had to disconnect and reconnect everything every time I did it. I'm glad I have a dock.

>Recommended models?
I got this and it's pretty damn good. Can handle two displays if you ever need to.
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C631EYU/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B00C631EYU&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21

> Should be obsolete
It's the exact opposite. You get four USB C ports at max and a dock, which connects to one of them and provides a wide variety of ports.

This

what's it like being stuck in 1990s, grampa?

ps: don't forget to take your fiber pills.

You'd rather have to plug in a dock than just plop your laptop on your desk? No fucking thanks.

Have a desktop and a laptop poorfag.

I have both, still love my laptop dock

Yeah, I don't want a fucking chunk of metal on my desk when my laptop's not on it. And VGA and parallel ports? Firewire? DVI? In 2017? You for real?

I'll take once of those little plastic adapters with 3-5 ports any time! it fucking weighs nothing and I can put it in my bag if I need to carry it or put it in a drawer.

>Yeah, I don't want a fucking chunk of metal on my desk when my laptop's not on it.
Why would it matter? If your laptop's not at your desk then you aren't either.
>And VGA and parallel ports? Firewire? DVI? In 2017? You for real?
You don't even know what a serial port is? Top fucking kek. And what do you expect from a laptop made in 2009?

why the fuck would anyone need a serial port in 2017, grampa???

I actually use it regularly, child. And where did I say anyone needs a serial port in 2017, dumbass? I was literally just posting an example of a real dock. I never said you needed those exact ports. You are beyond retarded.

for what, gramps???

Communicating with devices using RS-232. You done yet, shitposter?

>tfw have a laptop with ports
>tfw still want a dock because it's less cables to be plugged in
>tfw no thunderbolt 3 over usb-c

Man, MacBooks looked so much better before the whole muh thin bullshit started.

>Communicating with devices using RS-232. You done yet, shitposter?
what devices, gramps?

I'm not humoring a shitposter any longer. You're free to use this thing called a search engine and find out what RS-232 is used for.

gramps, you can't even tell me what the fuck needs a serial port in 2017. and after all these replies, you now claim you've given up. kek

out of 1000 people who buy a computer in 2017, how many do you think will ever need a serial port? I bet it's less than 1.

Cannot plug/unplug during windows startup/shutdown.
Otherwise shit crashes.

>Turn laptop on
>wait for windows botnet to load
>plug dock
>peripherals work, external monitors stay blank
>reconnect dock a few times
>restart with pic related plugged in
>wait till botnet gets loaded.
>thunderbolt utility shows up
>still no monitors
>unplug and plug back in
>finally

Thanks HP

That's not a dock, OP, it's a port replicator. This item pictured is actually a dock.

Aren't port replicators passive?

I have this dock.