/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

If your question doesn't deserve its own thread, post it here.
Redirect anons looking for assistance to this thread.

Join us on IRC (cool people only):
kiwiirc.com/client/chat.freenode.net/?nick=anonymous|?#sqt
Or if you have your own client:
chat.freenode.net:6697 (non-SSL: 6667)
Channel: #sqt

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth
anandtech.com/bench/product/80?vs=700
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder to read the fucking sticky thread; This is not for lazy shits that are too retarded to google.

stfu
Let neets feel useful answering easy shit. New threads are not a finite resource.

Australia

Looking for laptop for coding on. Additionally id like to be able to use debian or ubuntu on it in dual boot with the linux being the dominant os.

Any suggestions?

Would you rather 5,000 separate threads?

no, "question doesn't deserve its own thread" still applies

I have a Z97-A and a 980.

How can I use mobo graphics to dual screen to a VGA monitor while I use discrete for DVI?

I got dozens of free monitors from a place for free but all are VGA.

I know I can buy an hdmi adapter but I would like to get this working sooner than tomorrow.

Does your 980 have VGA?
What will you use the second screen for?

Im buying a laptop seond hand, is there a way i can test the battery and other components are in good condition

tell the seller to use some battery check program and give you a screeny

in regards to this question, if it's normal then how come sometimes my cpu or ram gets so overrused that the game crashes or my computer crashes?

How do I download images from Sup Forums keeping the original file name?

Sup Forums X lets you do that I think

that resource usage is normal. the crashing is not.

update OS and drivers.
check temps.
monitor resources to see if the game actually eats up all the RAM over time or not.

yep, there's a DL button next to the filename.

please respond

thank

Sup Forums X is also great for its many other features, you should definitely have it no matter what. I personally can't stand browsing Sup Forums without it.

of those; 1

but the angle gives everything a gradient, try taking a pic straight on

same

>try to edit config file on Linux distro using basic editor
>NOPE SORRY CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT
>use sublime
>just enter the password and it works
Why?

Sublime accessed it as sudo which is why it prompted the password, the other assumed read-only mode since fuck modifying files without sudo

When I use 'npm start' to start up Wire in Linux I get another window open in the app window (with source and shit) which I have to close.

How do I prevent this or autoclose that window on startup?

That makes sense, but how does sublime have sudo access?

they're IPS displays if that matters

holy fuck youre retarded, you gave it root access

simple, it reads the permissions it needs and opens itself in sudo (if needed) which then prompts for your authentication (password) and proceeds to open the file with read and write permissions.

Has anyone ever had to recover deleted files from a Seagate Central external HD or any NAS? The drive is read as a folder and not a disk so no file recovery program I've tried will detect it.

The coil in my mouth fedora isn't hitting very well. It doesn't taste burnt or anything but sort of cold and thick. It's a high resistance ssocc coil with a thick viscous juice.

Is it practical to attempt to unclog or clean coils?

I've got an old Dimension 2400 by Dell that I'm wanting to use for those good ol' retro aesthetics.

What's the best CPU that I can put in it? I'm more of a software person than a hardware person, and I'm defiantly lacking in my knowledge of CPUs.

I already know that I can put a GeForce 6200 in it, along with a ***whopping*** 2GiB RAM.

Nope.

Ah okay, that makes sense too. Thanks for the info.

no problemo

no you just have to stand more in the center and look straight at it so the pic doesnt get weird gradient

check specs online by googling model name, and get the motherboard model number then google that + cpu support.
normally it can support the whole range of CPUs that have the same socket, sometimes a BIOS update is needed.

no on the job experience, and i dont have a good enough knowledge base to get an entry level job in IT. is an a+ certification the best starting point?

I have a 500GB SSD and a 1TB HDD in AHCI. I'm planning on upgrading to two 500GB HDD in RAID. How do I do this?

how often should i defragment my hard drive? assuming i use my computer 8+ hours a day
also what other kinds of maintenance should be done on my computer?

How do you assess the overall speed of a chip based on clock speed, cores, and threads? For example, a new i5 is like 3.8 GHz 4 cores and the Ryzen 1600x is 3.4 GHz 6 cores. So Ryzen is faster?

Speeds from memory, so they may be off.

a+ is networking, there's a lot more to IT than that.
what are you interested in?

Which RAID exactly and what'd the resulting setup look like?
But basically it's just plugging in another drive and selecting the right option and drive in BIOS.

Windows does that automatically for you unless you turned it off.

You dont. You benchmark them and get real life performance results.

Is it possible for a graphics card to have poor colour output? Don't know how to put it in words but every monitor and TV screen I've attached to the RX 470 I got about a month back seems to have either been too yellow-ish or too dark, washed out, or just seem off, even after calibrating etc.

Could it possibly be a problem with the HDMI input? Would using DP possibly fix this?

>Could it possibly be a problem with the HDMI input? Would using DP possibly fix this?
maybe. try the other outputs first if you have cable.
do you have access to a different GPU to compare?

Gonna move to RAID 0. I heard switching from AHCI to RAID is difficult without starting all over again. Would I be able to image my boot drive and put that in my RAID array?

why the fuck would you RAID0 two hard drives when you have an SSD? that's a massive downgrade.

>without starting all over again
what?

in mysql if create a table and i have a row where i want the user to input either 2 or 3 characters (state and territory codes) can i do it with anything other than VARCHAR (3)? i want it be like CHAR (2-3) or something

Question. -. ...Would a 2.8 GHZ to a 3.8 GHZ Processor makes any gaming improvement (FPS Increase) or should I stick with wot I got...

Don't RAID 0, dumbass.

Ghz doesnt mean shit

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth

only if they're the same otherwise (core count, family and stepping, cache size, etc)
clock frequency means very little these days

yes and no, more clock cycles is better for some applications but games that are cpu intensive need more that just clockspeed

no sources... terrible arguement when its an actual factor in many cases, just not the only factor

RAID0 two SSD. Is that not possible?

It's possible, it's just dumb.

>terrible argument
no, it's completely fucking relevant because he didnt mention model names and that link explains it very well, and there's sources at the bottom you blind cunt

i have an asus x540s laptop with a strange issue.

it won't switch to battery power when i pull the power cable out unless the battery is on 100%. if the battery is on 99% and i pull the cable out then it just dies immediately like there is no battery installed and it wont turn back on unless it's plugged in (sometimes if i hold the power button down for like a minute it will die to start but then it dies on the loading windows screen.) however if i let it charge to 100% and then pull the cable out then it will switch to battery power and run for 5-6 hours like it's supposed to.

anyone know what could be causing this? i replaced the battery with a brand new one and formatted and installed a fresh copy of windows 10 and the problem persists

it's possible but you didnt said RAID two SSD you said RAID two HARD DRIVES

no it's not, SSDs are far more reliable than Hard drives so RAID0 is viable

Why so. Is there no speed benefit?

Big no there. You basically can't use any of those stats to compare, especially between AMD and intel. The way they do shit is so different you pretty much just have to pop them in a PC and do direct comparisons

>far more reliable than Hard drives

You mean slightly more reliable. If you take out damage to external drives/laptops from moving parts, it's almost even.

My slip up. I still mistakenly call them hard drives out of old habit.

The card has only HDMI and DP ports and I have neither a DP cable or monitor. I've got a rather poor picture here, but it doesn't show it that well, up close it's very noticeable and off putting.

I thought it might have been a problem with the monitor (Asus VX239H) and had it returned, but I'm starting to doubt whether that was actually the source of the problem, as connecting it to the TV seems to have the same problems.

would a subaru forester or a honda civic make a better car for a Sup Forumsentooman

There is, but it doesn't actually translate into any meaningful difference to the user. HDDs are slow as balls and have horrible random access times. Taking an SSD and doubling it's speed doesn't really do much for most applications. It's like the m.2 drives that blow away the sata 3 stat aren't nearly worth the price premium to 99% of people. And raid introduces some level of increased risk/incompatibility, plus it means you're going to limit your drive selection to something exactly the same size as your last one. I just wouldn't bother.

how do i downgrade palemoon? i just updated it and now treestyle tabs doesn't work. fuck that noise.

>You mean slightly more reliable
no
>If you take out damage to external drives/laptops from moving parts
not an argument because you cant dismiss the moving parts

ok. and to answer your questino, you have to make an image of your current partition and store that on your HDD, then add the second SSD and setup RAID, then clone the OS image onto the RAID then expand that partition to the full size of your RAID (500gb -> 1TB for raid0)

what am i supposed to look for/at

for hard drives there's zero benefit

for SSDs there's a big boost to transfer speeds.

>plus it means you're going to limit your drive selection to something exactly the same size as your last one. I just wouldn't bother.
what the fuck are you babbling about?

Drivers are fine and os is w10. Yes the main culprates are the ones eating up ram and cpu. I really have no odea what to do anymore

Second screen is for shitposting and chat.

980 only has dvi and hdmi

Since the SSD is currently in AHCI and so is the instance of Windows running on it, will it automatically recognize the change to raid?

How do I survive in this cruel world?

i think that's a win10 issue, but worth reinstalling the programs in question.

Can a 980 use a simple DVI to VGA adapter or does it not have analog output on the DVI ports?

it should, i dont remember having to do anything special when i setup RAID several years ago. Your mobo should report it as a single drive to the OS.

can start by not shitposting

Surface Pro 4 or wait for 5?

would be kind of neet to get USB C

It's a Phenom XII 940 (2.8 ghz) planning to upgrade to FX 4300 (3.8hz) AMD Processors
Sorry about not being clear ...

Wait for 6. No, wait for 7. No, wait for 8. RIP IN PACE

>not an argument because you cant dismiss the moving parts

I'm not dismissing it. I'm saying that even with that taken into account, there's not as much of a difference in failure rates as people assume. In a desktop there's even less. And SSDs actually have more sectors go bad than HDDs do.

>a+ is networking
it seemed a lot more comprehensive than that, the exam guide covers hardware and OSs too, even mobile devices

>what are you interested in?
there was a kid at my old job that worked under the senior IT manager, before i left he was in the process of updating all the computers there with better equipment, he also came down a lot to help troubleshoot and fix the computers. im interested in a position like that, something inhouse where i could work under a more experienced person to develop my skills. eventually id like to be the sole person responsible for for network and server upkeep for a small(er) business. i dont have the knowledge to determine the common name for a position like that.

thats not even much of an upgrade, get an 8350

SP4 only had USB 3 regulari and mini DP how pathetic I need Type C meme

Ok, so if I plug this thing into my GPU HDMI slot, and then I plug a DVI to VGA adapter into this thing's DVI slot, and finally I plug the VGA cable to the monitor.

Will that work?

Correction: Phenom II X4 925 & both are quad cores

I wouldn't expect that to work.

anandtech.com/bench/product/80?vs=700

no difference whatsoever.

but there is, samsung has 10 year warranty on their Pro SSDs

oh ok, A+ would be a really good start for that type of stuff

no. you cant go from HDMI to VGA without a bigger box converter because Digital -> Analog needs a bunch of extra shit.

Probably not. The dvi to vga only works if ithe card's outputting an analog signal. HDMI probably wouldn't

I guess it would be better to just get a displayport to VGA cable, then?
It's just a temporal solution while I get a new monitor, and my GPU won't have VGA.

DisplayPort is also digital only and needs a big box converter.

Where do you live? Maybe one of us could give you a garbage monitor instead of paying to be rid of it?

Just use your onboard

I encrypted my internal hdd but now it doesn't work with windows automatic defrag. Any way to fix this?

what is the difference between PNGs that load top-to-bottom (like jpg) and PNGs that load full frame, low-res pixellated format and then slowly get more detailed?

Is this related to when Photoshop asks if I want to use interlacing when saving a PNG?

Solved it myself.

Looking at upgrading my GPU because I'm sick of not being able to play new games on anything but the lowest.

Currently have a GTX 770 4GB and thinking of going to a 1070 (8GB), Would there be any bottlenecking with my CPU? Im running an i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz with 16GB DDR3

This cable alone is apparently enough, though?

You're good unless you want to do vr

huh, that's news for me. worth giving it a shot if it's not too expensive.

compare 1070 and 1060 6GB if you really want to pay that much for the performance increase.

but it will be fine whatever you choose

That is a picture, not a link. If it's an active adapter then yes. Although the cheap ones tend to be unreliable

HDMI to DVI-D has no signal conversion, so as long as the VGA conversion is working it should be fine.

I just bought an external hard drive, plugged it in for the first time and there is some stuff on it. How much of it can I delete? I'm sure I can delete the icon (SeagateExpansion) and the PDF but what about the other three things?

Inside the hidden folder is an xml document called "serialnumber". The autorun file is an .inf that only has this in it [autorun]
icon=.\SeagateExpansion.ico, and I have no clue what the Start_Here_Win.exe will do

>using more than one converter

Is there any functional or image quality difference between an up-to-date PS3 for blu-ray playback, and a high end non-4K blu-ray player?

remove all of it if you want. that's just some shit for tech illiterates.

not an argument

maybe back up the serial number/warranty

the converters you get for free wont work so if he has to go buy something in the first place he could just get something that removes any extra stupid shit

So on this site, when I try to enlarge an image it constantly fucks up because of the anchoring. If the image is in the middle of my screen, it anchors the top of the image, so the image enlarges down on my screen.

BUT, if I scroll down a little bit, and the image is near the top of my screen, the image is anchored at the BOTTOM, so it enlarges up, and I have to scroll all the way back up to view the image. Same thing happens when I click to shrink it again so I constantly lose my place and have to scroll around.

This only started happening a few days ago. What is this shit. Does anyone else get this problem? I know it seems a little trivial but it's really annoying.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.