So, what the hell are containers anyways?

So, what the hell are containers anyways?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=what is docker
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're mom.

lmgtfy.com/?q=what is docker

A container is a form of operating system virtualization that is more efficient than typical hardware virtualization.

Jails/Zones but for Linux and with a distribution mechanism.

horrible hacks built out of necessity for compatibility with horrible hacks

if you had told CS researchers in the 60s this is what a large porition software engineers spent the majority of their time working on they would have shot themselves

How can one man be so brilliant?

Something Solaris had a decade ago and that Linux people are implementing in a horrible way.

No, they would be excited that we had a fully fledged UNIX-like OS in a small smartphone.

Linux is the best kernel in the world.

>no DTrace

Linux is shit.

yeah because of the 6 different responses I get I am unsure what exactly it is. I'm an idiot. I'll admit it. I was hoping someone could explain it to me.

>Mr. Engelbart you're alive again!
>Not important my dear boy, has the computer liberated the masses, removed the need for menial work, and completely revolutionized the way we think and live?
>No, but we fit a 1970s mainframe OS on a phone in a way that completely ignores most of the features of a mainframe OS and radically amplifies the numbing psychological signal overload of a phone!
>...

Two can play at that game.

>Solaris doesn't have KVM
Solaris is shit. Linux is the best kernel in the world.

They didn't believe in this science fiction shit.

you're wrong, some of them believed something approaching GAI would be available by millennium, less extreme beliefs included automation of 60% of the workforce by that time

Engelbart lived to see the iPhone and shit. Nelson is still alive and building Xanadu.

name 5 things the average iPhone user uses their iPhone for that couldn't be done on a cell phone

>Nelson is still alive and building Xanadu.

Kicking, but failing.

>name 5 things the average iPhone user uses their iPhone for that couldn't be done on a cell phone
Why the fuck are you asking me do this?

>horrible hacks built out of necessity for compatibility with horrible hacks

this needs to be in a shirt

>Xanadu
10 years ago I've watched an interview with him talking about that project.
I didn't write down his name or the name of his project. I only remembered glimpses of his interview* because it's been so much time. With the little I remembered I tried to find the said interview or the hypertext project, but never managed to do so.
*I remember hearing him talking about using the processing capabilities of idle computers and about having a cluster of PS3's, IIRC. I've looked through lists of crowd-clustering and distributed processing looking for anything resembling what I recalled his project was.

Then I stumbled upon this. A thread completely unrelated to any of that. In a shitpost that replies and derives another post antagonizing a meta-aspect of the subject of this thread.

The moment I googled 'nelson xanadu' and seen a picture of it I knew I had found it.

I have tears in my eyes, my friend. It's been a long run after this.

Thank you.

>How can one man be so brilliant?
because ubuntu kills kittens

I don't exactly know but from what I've heard it's just a lite-VM. If X application is available in a docker format then you can run it in an isolated, sandboxed mode separate from the rest of the machine's applications. All of the app and its shitty, largely unnecessary dependencies will be separate and this allows you to avoid conflicts or something.

If it lets me avoid having to spend half a fucking day updating Windows Servers since I don't need a separate VM for X application then great.

Its just a process with some flags set to isolate it from the rest of the system, man clone.

The broken promise of overhead-free virtual machines.

>heh kiddo, i have no idea what im talking about... but im used to people telling me im smart, and my self esteem cant take another blow when i actually try to concieve of how dumb i am for not understanding... instead.. heh, ill just... make a joke that would imply i know what im talking about.... heh

You figured me out.

Containers are virtual machines that utilize the same kernel as the host, and use its process isolation for security. This way you don't need to virtualize the hardware itself thus granting you more flexibility and power.

This also means that you cannot containerize something from a different architecture or operating system.

I don't like docker design, then again I come from xen/kvm background so running docker as root kinda feels wrong.

Pulling some random docker images and running them with root-equivalent user group will end with tears. While user privilege escalation is not virtually impossible with kvm, its easy with docker.

But docker images are convenient.

Illumos has a port of KVM. And it has LX-branded zones, so it can run Linux binaries natively.

Rootless containers are working on fixing that problem.

Just set up a new docker based microservice.
It's easier than getting the sysadmin to keep graphicsmagick updated and available on each server. You just install it during build.