Do battery saving apps work or are they just a scam?

Do battery saving apps work or are they just a scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

downloadmoreram.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Greenify
Amplify
Xposed

They're snake oil just like all "optimizer" apps.

+ power nap

They actually recycle unused battle power into RAM and release it when you really need it

I bet you're dumb enough to believe those shitty lock screen "battery savers" covered with ads work, too.

the best ways to save battery are to dim your screen and disable features like wifi, bluetooth, mobile data, and auto-screen rotation unless you need them. Don't run apps with lots of notifications and web updates. Obviously you can leave these features enabled if you are under no pressure to keep your phone alive.

Apps do little

They're a scam and anyone who falls for them is the same type of person who falls for finallyfast.com

Speaking of that. downloadmoreram.com/

Early android versions did not have a feature to manually close applications, so a task manager actually helped. Since 4.0 they are completely worthless.

it's not a battery saver but a decent monitor. acubattery

This

Ultimately pointless with tons of BLOAT and a fuckton of notifications. I don't use them and everyone that does seem to only find shitty ones.

All they should do is provide a hub for you to disable/and or tone down unnecessary stuff like bluetooth, location services and dim your screen. Android already has a Battery Saver mode from I think 5.0 so they've become pointless and usually use more battery.

From experience anyone that recommends and/or uses one usually doesn't know anything they're talking about.

You also need some kind of wakelock detector for these. And ultimately it will help nothing, because the data and screen will drain much more power than your apps.

They are a scam.

The most battery hungry thing is google botnet since it wants all your data in realtime.

1. Set google location services to gps only
2. Deny the ability to wake your phone to google services, google services framework, and google play.
3. Set google play to update the apps manually, check it every week.

You are all set, there's nothing else you can do to substantially improve your battery life without impairing quality of use. The worst that can happen is some badly written app keeping the phone awake, this can be mitigated with , but this is really a special case, use it only when really needed.

Can anyone review clean master for me? I've had this and use it to clean out my ram and junk files often but I'm slowly starting to think it's placebo

>battery drains fast because bloatware
>Install more bloatware
>Battery lasts longer now

Gee, i wonder if it works that way...

You can make sure you don't have any wakelocks active while the phone's screen is off using "adb shell dumpsys power"

If you need to prolong battery life at the expense of functionality you can use Android's built in battery saver. Expect huge delays in anything that relies on data connections while the phone is asleep.

Pic related, no wakelocks, stock 7.1.2 no root.

Half right. Those 4 help the batter but getting rid of google on your phone is a big help too.

>getting rid of google on your phone is a big help too

That's actually detrimental to battery health, the play services provide an API designed to reduce the load of 3rd party apps calls by caching information requested by those apps such as location information.

"I love Emilia."

What info does it cache besides location in high accuracy setting? Maybe added performance coupled with GCM only requiring one connection to receive updates instead of one per app.

There is a whole layer of calls that apps make first to the play services and fall back to android calls if those don't return data.

I don't know enough about it to list a bunch but essentially you are just crippling your ability to run apps that depend on those services, and even the ones that don't have them as a requirement benefit from them.

>auto-rotate
does that really do much? Can't imagine it being a very power hungry sensor and there's no guarantee it actually turns off.

No replacement for capacity

Checked but still skeptical, would need more information before trusting this. Regardless I run with MicroG at the least those APIs are minigated in some form.

You should only be using greenify, amplify, and power nap.
If you're on nougat then just greenify (until xposed becomes available).
The new doze mode is pretty good and increases battery life by itself.

Forgot the image

not that impressive desu

t. mi max user

How is that phone? Do you use MIUI or are you using a custom rom? Does everything work fine with custom roms?

Been thinking of getting the Mi 5s Plus and ignoring the fact that it won't work with LTE here since it looks pretty sweet desu but I'm worried about the unavoidable Chinese in MIUI (only used it on my OPO once and while it looked nice I couldn't avoid the Chinese even thought it was set to English).

>>getting rid of google on your phone is a big help too
>That's actually detrimental to battery health
That's empirically false. Also, not getting rid of google, just denying the ability to run in background.

Yeah, from what I've seen the chink phones have ridiculous battery life.
I'm on Verizon though, so I can't get any of those.

I used MIUI for mbout 5 months. There are some chink advertisements in some of their apps and the tv app gives a weird chink notification every once in a while but it was generally pretty mild. It has some nice features and looks pretty decent. If you want to use MIUI with all the chink exterminated there's always xiaomi.eu.
I haven't tried that, but I did just switch to Lineage OS 14.1 last friday. It's definitely still in development, but there are no huge unfixable problems. Feels just a little bit snappier than MIUI and manages ram a bit better than MIUI. The fact that you get a dpi setting is really comfy for the mi max.

Battery life is basically 7-11 hours SOT depending on usage. The screen is a way bigger part of the power usage than on smaller phones, so games etc take way less battery than you'd expect. You can always easily manage 2 days.

the biggest problem with MIUI I've had (besides the botnet working over the unencrypted connection) is that it's killing/unloading background apps unpredictably. Lots of messaging apps, syncthing etc are unusable in MIUI for me for this reason.

Had an S5 on Verizon running Cm13 and an 8500mah extended battery. Get good.

Thanks, user. I'll keep that link in mind even if it's just to use it for a couple days before switching to Lineage. It's too bad they don't have builds for other phones.

I had the same problem. In MIUI7 I couldn't fix it even with taking off battery optimization but they worked fine in MIUI8.

oh if you're going to get a mi max, the 32gb version is slightly better for roms at the moment. the unofficial los14 I'm running on my 64gb is more popular than the official 32gb only one tho so make of that what you want

they're a scam. the only thing that kills your battery by default are google services. uninstall them all or disable them completely, then replace PlayStore with Yalp Store if you need access to google store. I did this and my battery isn't even drained by 1% over night even if I leave WiFi on, when it was usually drained by 1-6%. And the phone I use is not rooted so I haven't gone through aditional measures to improve it's battery life.
another drain on the battery are unoptimized apps and apps actively running in background with many wakelocks (like Torchie which will kill your battery), fortunately there aren't that many of those out there and all professional apps are being optimized by their devs, and all the relevant FOSS apps are fixed by contributors.
android 5 (or 6) has better power management than the previous versions and most android phones have something like "Smart Manager" which kills apps you haven't opened in a while, or automatically kills them when you leave the app for over 15 seconds.
if an app is still draining your battery the best thing to do is to locate which app it is by using BetterBatteryStats or a similar tool. then you should delete and replace the battery draining app, or make it's process get killed when you leave it.
another thing, killing apps to "clean RAM" is actually a bad idea on android phones. those apps are merely suspended in RAM and don't drain any battery at all (unless they're one of those poorly optimized active in background apps). removing them from RAM will actually increase the time necessary to open the app next time since loading from RAM is much faster than from storage. so it's recommended not to "clean" RAM unless your phone has less than 1GB, but in this case apps will get removed from RAM automatically if you ever need more of it.

tl;dr, battery optimization is a meme you shouldn't fall for

>Yalp Store
Thanks app, will have to check out.

Rest is pretty fucking stupid.

>unless they're one of those poorly optimized active in background apps
seems like that's a lot of them.

They can be completely closed and still magically resurrect themselves from out of 10,000 different triggers. You can see what caused an app to wake up in greenify and usually the reasons are mind-bogglingly stupid or straight up spyware (Why does Amazon's app need to know when a package is added/removed?)

They might help if your phone has with garbage like gapps. Only aggressive doze can make a difference otherwise, because it drops data connection. You can gain some juice by undervolting, but not much - screen and radio are the biggest wastes of power.
Conclusion: get a fucking power bank.