Language thread

Let's play a game Sup Forums How degenerated the name of your country from their ancient original name until the actual name in your language?

Ex: Hispania>Ispania>Spania>Espania>Espanna>España

Other urls found in this thread:

hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_„magyar”_szó_etimológiája#A_.E2.80.9Emagyar.E2.80.9D_sz.C3.B3_korai_el.C5.91fordul.C3.A1sai
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Éiru (a goddess)
>Éire (irish word for ireland named after Éiru)
completely unrecognisable

>Kanata (Huron-Iroquois word meaning village or settlement)
>Canada (some French dude didn't know what else to call the area so he went with Canada for the whole area)
That's..pretty much it really

Pindorama>Ilha de Vera Cruz>Terra Nova>Terra dos Papagaios>Terra de Vera Cruz>Terra de Santa Cruz>Terra Santa Cruz do Brasil>Terra do Brasil>Brasil

Hard work

for what purpose?

Separate islands were given different names by the Arawaks. Guanahani is believe to be modern San Salvador for example
>The Columbus came along and named the area Baja Mares (Spanish for low seas)
>Eventually became Anglicized into what it is today: Bahamas
Wish I knew the original arawak names for the islands.

Argentum (silver) --> Argentina
gg ez

The first is the indigenous name and the others seem that the portuguese are very undecided

Ísland.

Tourkia>Turchia>Turquie>Turkey>Türkiye

Something like that

Mona>Manaw>Manau>Mano>Mön>Manainn>Vannin>Mannin>Mann>Man>Isle of Man.

I never understood this. We're taught that Argentina comes from the word for silver, but then learn that la plata is the word for silver. I've never heard of that synonym for silver. But wasn't the country known as La Plata at one point?

The British Empire>The United States

La Plata is Spanish for silver. All of their plates (plata) were made of silver I guess?
Argentina is just the back formation because the root argent- means silver in Spanish

Which was better?

The idea comes from Río de la Plata (Silver River) this explains why Argentina comes from argentum

In Latin I mean. I'm kinda drunk

Sons of Israel > Tribes of Israel > Kingdom of Israel > State of Israel

Wew, changed a lot past 3000 years.

Meztlixitli -> Mexicali -> Mexica ->México

>United States of America
>United States of America

Seems legit

Cristoforo Colombo > Colombia

>Pindorama

top kek.

Chilli -> Chile

or

Tili -> Chili -> Chile

United States of America --> Confederate States of America ---> United States of America

>your country

Yeah apparently it was inca for "land of the losers" or something

Wasn't it Nueva Granada or something?

Israel (meaning "The One Who Would Wrestle an Angel")

San Diego --> San Diego

Wish I was from LA so I could say

Iyaanga (Tongva for "poison oak place") --> Bahia de las Fumas ("bay of smokes") --> El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula ("the town of our lady queen of the angels of Porciuncula (a church in Italy where the Franciscan order was founded)") --> Los Angeles.

Quinetucket --> Connecticut

Svíþjóð-Swerike-Svearike-Swerighe-Swerghe/Swirghe/Swirge-Sverige. This is all based on the middle part of Sweden though, Svealand (Land of the Svears. An old ass tribe)

>San Diego de Alcala

"California" comes from a Spanish LN-tier novel about a black Amazon queen named Califia. It was basically named by proto-weebs.

The origin for the word Suomi is unknown. Too old.

Obligatory post
I have no fucking idea what strong owner means

>Military unit

Well, It once was called Rossiya and since that it didn't change at all.

>Lebanon
>White

Lechia > Civitas Schinesghe > Grody Książęce > Polska

what the fuck

>land of """""""""free men"""""""""""

>adventures.

>zagorski not it's own language
>it's all serbo-croatian

this map is nonsense
we actually barely understand Zagorski, and maybe even Čakavski for that matter

yamato>Jippon/Nippon>Nihon/Nippon

>seafarers

>rich in lakes
???????
Plitvice?

That's cool actually.

virreinato del rio de la plata > provincias unidas del rio de la plata > federacion argentina > argentina > bolivia

Źemē > Some/Soome > Suomi

Missed a few stages and the origin is a bit unclear. It probably comes from Proto-Baltic.

Yea, it's total bullshit. Nobody knows.

>The origin of the name is uncertain, but is thought to be a Gothic or Indo-Aryan term assigned to a Slavic tribe.

According to Wikipedia

>Žeme
In russian and most slavic languages, land is "zemlya", and baltic languages are related to slavic ones as far as I know and soumi means "land" so these words may be related.

cool

svea (“of the Swedes”) + rike (“realm”). From Old Swedish Sver(i)ghe, Sverike, Sværike.

>Canada
>about as relevant as 1 village

That French dude ended up being correct

The root of that word is really ancient. *zeme is present in Proto-Balto-Slavic so it's one of the original parts of your vocabulary.

Its as if now they call a region Mordor or Tatooine.

The story is cool, it has griffins, duels, faith build powers, ISIS and Queen Califa is tsundere for the protagonist.

They were both okay at their apexes

Holy shit, how do you pluralize apex?
vertex -> vertices
apex -> apices

God damn it why did you have to suck French cum in 1066?

Moordor is already taken by your neighbor, Portugal

>called seafarers
>spends entire history of country desperately annexing neighbors to have a warmwater port (Black Sea)

it's poetic

Truth: No one knows the origin of the name. All the theories are just guesswork.

Lietuva - Lietuva

teuta -> diutisc -> deutsch

Deutschland

>original name
???-> madjar (mongol word for us)-> modjer (mogyer)/moger -> magyar (meaning absolutely unknown)
+"country" in hungarian -> Magyarország

>foreign name:
onogur (ten arrows/ten tribes in turk)->ogur->uhor/ugor/ogur/ungar->Hungary, Hongrie, Hongarije (silent H added by romance languages, but some people vocalize it)

Cool

not really

>From Old Hungarian mogyër.

>The first element (mogy-) is likely from a Proto-Ugric *mańć- (“man, person”), also found in the name of the Mansi (mäńćī, mańśi, måńś). It may have also had a meaning of ‘speaker; messenger’. In this case, it may ultimately derive from Proto-Uralic *mënɜ- (“to say”), the original definition being preserved in magyaráz (“to explain”).
>The second element -ër ‘man’, retained in ember ‘man’ and férj (“husband”), is cognate with Mari erɣǝ, erɣe ‘son, boy’ and Finnish yrkö (“man”). It is from Proto-Uralic *irkä or *ürkä (“man, son, boy”)

but the first appearance of the world was the mongol "madzsar"...
also the finno-ugric explanation is also just a conjecture, not proven

The Uigurs where you?
All the time you where so near but I didn't know.

F-Father?

WE ARE NOT TURKISH GO AWAY TURKSMELL
1526 NEVER FORGET
REEEEEE

>hurr durr what is archaeology what is history

>but the first appearance of the world was the mongol "madzsar"...

No
hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_„magyar”_szó_etimológiája#A_.E2.80.9Emagyar.E2.80.9D_sz.C3.B3_korai_el.C5.91fordul.C3.A1sai

>also the finno-ugric explanation is also just a conjecture, not proven
Are you some meme turanist something? Of course nothing can be 100% proven in linguistics, but it's extremely likely that the word is finno-ugric.

>Area Where There is Nothing

Vlahia -> Valahia -> Rumânia -> România

something like that

So many of these are hilarious, I cant even

I think the first time it's mentioned it already goes by the name of Italia

LAND OF THE SPEARS

Ostarrîch-i>Österreich

Boiohaemum>Bohemia>Czech Republic>Czechia

JUST

Frankisch > Diets / Duits > Nederlands

Oh that's how our language was called.

I don't think we had a country before the Netherlands. We had the Frisians. The Roman Empire. The Frankish empire. The Holy Roman Empire. And then there was the Netherlands.

It comes directly from arabic Türkiyye/Türkiye/Türkiya.

No you think Ataturk would choose an Arabic name for his country ? It comes directly from Medieval Latin sources than French than English

Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland> Ísland

Post dialect maps, faggots.

>Sloven (old name for Slovene people, later stolen by "Slavs") > Slovenija (land of the Slovenes)

>Zagorski
It's called Slovene.

You can see clearly on that map that the name is Ireland

Where? I don't spot it.

>choose
Ataturk didn't chose it, Türkiye was already in use, informally. Especially in arabic texts, the parts were Turks live -within OE- was referred as Türkiye

Angola.

Yeah I already spotted it, thanks.

Harahwatia-Horoathia-Horvatia-Horvatzka-Horvatska-Hrvatska (eng. Croatia)

>Great place of barrels used to hold beverages

Bulgaria>Bulgaria>Bulgaria>Bulgaria

comes from the Bulgars, a tribe of horseniggers that created it in 681

Koryeo > Korea

some fucking land of tribe Boii -> Sámova ríše (Samo's empire) -> Velká Morava (Great Moravia) -> Království České (Kingdom of Bohemia) -> české země (czech lands)-> [400 years pause thanks Austria] -> Československo (czechoslovakia) -> Česká republika (Czech rep.)

do slovaks call themselves slovenes

slovaks are calling themselves "Slováci", same in czech.
Slovenes are in czech "Slovinci". not sure how's that in their languages.
But i'm sure it doesn't overlap.

doesnt slovenia and slovakia translate into slovenska and slovensko or something in your languages?

slovensko versus slovinsko

Gallaeci/Lusitania->Bracara Augusta->Regnum Suevorum(Kingdom of the Suebi)->Visigothic Kingdom->Portus Cale->Portugal

>Kenya
>Mountain of whiteness

Other names. Hesperia, Iberia, Al-ándalus.