Ok Sup Forums, why sould I install Linux on my laptop?

Ok Sup Forums, why sould I install Linux on my laptop?

ergonomics

GNU/Linux*

If you're asking this, you shouldn't.

You should install GNU/Linux on your laptop if you like it, want to testrun it or develop with GNU/Linux.

You know what you want, not us.

GNU+Linux. or as i recently been calling it, GNU@Linux.

Gentoo boots in less than 10 seconds

if you dont know why or want to find out yourself you shouldn't do it.

best kek of the day

I tested some distro, but only on VM, and i kinda like it. But i don't know where i could start to really learn how to use it

Start with opensuse and Fedora.

freedumb shit aside, it's a reasonably feature-stocked os that comes in all sorts of distro flavors and doesn't cost money. i got two win 7 key stickers on this old chinkpad, but installed solus to not deal with drivers and restarts

You shouldn't, there's no reason to install linux on anything.

Only if you're into programming and pen testing. The average Joe doesn't gain anything from installing Linux.

If you have to ask that question then I recommend you buy a mac.

Desu ignore SUSE.
Start with Fedora then maybe some Arch derivative.

I did it because my laptop is a garbage netbook with 2GB RAM and 32GB flash storage. Windows was gobbling up about half of each just to run. Linux is doing it for only 10% of each. The result is that it doesn't practically die every time I try to run an application.

Because you got that wrong laptop and should be punished, that's why.
Look up the video of the 60 year old woman mobiletechreview absolutely wrecking the XPS's butthole

What's the most recent ultrabook (or tablet or laptop) that is 100% compatible with a GNU/Linux distro?

Surface pro didn't have sound or something last time I checked.

Dell xps

Actually the surface, envy/spectre, and XPS all have varying issues and solutions to getting sound

So there are solutions then? Nice. That means if a person fixes it once then he'll not have to worry about it. Because GNU/Linux doesn't automatically shit itself. Well, at least Ubuntu based ones don't.

Are there any other compatibility issues (other than sound) in the most recent surface, envy, spectre, and XPS devices?

Because you cut yourself

Don't ask why you should install Linux, ask why you would install windows.

just don't

I was a huge linux advocate but now I thinks it's ridiculous, you have no idea what's going on while windows has superb tools for monitoring and security even when running untrusted software or connecting to untrusted networks

linux is a fucking joke from an old bygone era

Because you want to. Don't do it just because a few people on the Internet told you to. To answer your question, though:

>Linux DEs are significantly better UIs than Window's desktop
>Bash scripts can be extremely useful
>Customizability

Better dev environment. Nice package manager, you can choose a DE that suits your workflow, nice ricing options, bash is cool.

That's about it. You don't have to if you don't want to, but considering that you can jut try a Live CD for an hour there's nothing keeping you back from just trying Linux. It'll be a nice experiment at the very least, trying out the different distros.

Linux is fun, have fun, user!

I had to repeat a year because of linux Linux isn't fun.

It's fun on my machine.

More than likely you had to repeat a year because you're an idiot, not because of an OS.

very customizable
easy to develop software on

that's about it

if you don't care much for customizing, or aren't programming in something like Objective-C or C# then don't bother with linux.

i guess another reason is that it is free (as in gratis), so that's also a plus in some cases

Fucking excellent m8

So you can write

sudo rm -rf/

It makes it run faster

So you can look cool in front of your friends

>you have no idea what's going on
You can get a much better sense of what your computer is doing compared to windows.

>superb tools for monitoring and security
lmao

Manjaro

Flavour doesn't matter because you can always change your DE.