Couldn't a negro entering the US take the battery out of their laptop/phone before surrendering it to border agents...

Couldn't a negro entering the US take the battery out of their laptop/phone before surrendering it to border agents? (It's easier than you think) it's not like they could force you to reinstall it without the right tools.

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/717200/comparing-http-and-ftp-for-transferring-files
science.slashdot.org/story/17/02/13/0248240/us-born-nasa-scientist-detained-at-the-border-until-he-unlocked-his-phone
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Then they plug it in.

Duh.

You are the stupidest wank I have ever seen

FUCK OFF

You're a fucking moron
Either they do this or you won't be able to enter the device to the country.

In all seriousness, there's an easy way to do all of this shit.

1. Upload everything to some sort of cloud storage site, or your own personal FTP server.
2. Wipe your laptop hard drive, install a fresh OS
3. Take your flight. Let them search your laptop if they demand it.
4. Arrive at your destination, re-download all of the things.

Was that so hard?

>Tripfagging while saying this
Tripfags are morons by nature

What if they backdoor your laptop?

they would do or they would just detain you and probably send you back.

i don't understand the cliche of autistic nerds thinking that some clever trick will get them out of trouble. if another person is involved, they'll just smack you on the back of the head and tell you to fix it or they'll keep smacking you until a flight back to your backwater hellhole is ready to depart, whereupon they'll throw you in a seat and forget about you.

But I didn't take my laptop out of my bag once when entering the US?

they don't always do it, they just have the right to.

did someone really need to explain this to you? how are you able to buy airfare and travel internationally if you're not capable of doing this kind of reasoning? who hired you?

Didn't they inspect your bag at all?

They also have the right to digitally inspect my rectum. Doesn't mean it's standard procedure.

Bag x-ray and body scan was all I had.
White male privilege.

>They also have the right to digitally inspect my rectum. Doesn't mean it's standard procedure.
literally who said it was? was it in this thread? are you lost or something?

Tools? It just slides in the back...

I literally can't believe that there are people so naive that they think they could roll up to CBP with a phone without a battery and the agent would just shrug and be like "okay well fuck I guess you're free to go".

You guys are either way, way overestimating how clever you are, or you're way overestimating how lazy CBP agents are. These guys are looking for a perfectly routine interaction. They ask for a document, you hand them a document. They ask you a question, you answer the question. They ask to see your phone, you give them your phone.

Anything that deviates from that routine tells them that you're trouble, and even common sense public opinion will side with the agent if the story unfolds as you being a smart-ass.

If your phone's battery slot is empty (and even a sealed device will feel noticeably unbalanced without the battery in it), they'll figure you were *definitely* smuggling something in that space, drag you to the side room, and grill you. Best case scenario is that you crack immediately and give them full access, including rectal, and no I'm not kidding; they're assuming smuggling, so you will get a cavity search.

Redundant backdoors are provided by the mainboard and cpu manufacturer, the os backdoor is optional.
Anything detectable is just a PR stunt, just like Snowden.

>implying Trump will continue allowing "negroes" into our beloved US of A.

how ?

If you are paranoid of this, you could always re-install the OS again

>implying the dumb niggers at CBP are going to backdoor your laptop
>implying any backdoor installed by CBP couldn't be easily removed by a hard drive wipe and reinstall

These fuckers aren't the NSA, they aren't that sophisticated.

Who cares. If you have something to hide from the authorities you must be a pedo.

quick question, why not just use a fullscreen VM of a fresh windows install? virtualbox doesn't allow quitting it unless the host key is pressed and they can't know for sure if it's virtualized I think

Just put everything important on an encrypted microSD and hide that somewhere in your stuff
If they find it tell them that it's broken and corrupted the data on it

i would just use mega or some shit, ive never been asked to surrender my laptop. Just act natural it goes through a scanner to make sure it isnt a bomb and boom your good.

I do this every time I travel. Plus my laptop boots to Open Firmware, one command boots OpenBSD, another boots Mac OS X

>operating system searches
>for flight security
>not focusing on tangible objects

What the fuck, America? Why?

I'm also sort of confused by this. We have the internet nowadays, there's no need to smuggle data on a device to another country (apart from North Korea I guess). So why look at all?

>Why are you carrying a broken microSD with you sir?
>Our scan shows that you have encrypted data there
>Sir you are under arrest for obstruction of justice put your hands behind your back

>Our scan shows that you have encrypted data there
>my scan shows that you're full of shit, "sir"
Encrypted data just looks random, that's the point.

I guess a LUKS header would rise suspicions tho

>Snowden
>PR Stunt
Hello there NSA!

If you're that paranoid, you buy a new laptop in the US and do the shit you want with a VPN.

>implying that snowden didn't that for publicity

No, if it goes BOOM in the scanner it is bad.

Not only did you mess up on the timing as your bomb went off inside the scanner, not inside the plane full of innocent civilians.

But it also means you are already surrounded by TSA.

I normally don't give advice to bad guys, but I recommend you turn yourself in before you get hurt. Trust me the cost of detaining you and growing legal feeswill cripple the west far more then your attack ever could.

OP is literally retarded, but I'm hijacking this thread because it looks like some of you guys actually know your shit and I might need to visit Burgeristan some day.

Does crossing the US border with a dumbphone or a barely used smartphone set off any red flags?

Has CBP started asking for emails, social media accounts, cloud storage accounts, etc.? Have they started asking for passwords? Do they detain you if you claim not to use social media or email?

If asked for passwords, is "all of my passwords are 30 characters long and written down on a piece of paper that is currently at my house in Europe" a valid reply?

If detained, do you have the right to a lawyer, a consultation with someone from your country's local embassy or at least the right to request to be sent back?

Why are you trying to hide it then??

>throwing your life away for publicity

no
no
yes
yes

*so long as you aren't brown

>removing laptop battery
>requiring tools
What are you, a macfag?

what if the negro will also short circuit the battery and it'll explode in their faces

its called having a modern laptop ya thinkbrick poorfag

If you own anything BUT an apple product they will assume you are a hacker. I'm not even joking. TSA agents are affirmative action low IQ people. They see a chinkpad and assume you are a hacker.

Trick question

No negro owns a laptop or phone, unless stolen

They will reboot the computer.

Just hide it in a metallic object, they wont find it

>hahahaha I'm too clever I'll just take the battery out
>it's not like they can force me to re-assemble my phone hahahaha
>'you have to go back'
>o-okay

Land of the free everyone

you either agree to get spied on including a full search of all the data on all your devices for god knows what reason or you'll be treated like a criminal by default

why anyone would want to visit USA is beyond me

And Sup Forums would defend these invasive, unnecessary measures with their lives too

I don't even get why something like this should be a thing.
I hope I never have to visit that shit hole you call a country in my life... There's plenty of countries that haven't snapped yet.

BIOS Password, Full encrypted HDD, Virtual machine for them to use, but in main OS have trueCrypt hidden folder with pictures containing stegonographic information.

wait, you have to reinstall your OS when entering US? the fuq?

Can't you put it in your wallet in the same pocket as some credit card or something?
Do they check that too?
You can always buy those hollow coins and hide it in there.
Do they open your wallet and check if each coin is hiding something inside?

k

>FTP
Did they just defrost you?

>FTP
It's BLOATED AMRITE

>IT
>life

t. Negro
Stay in your containment country Ahmed

No?

I brought a laptop bag full of wires and shit, looked like a straight up bomb in the xray scanner. They just had me open it and show it to them, I was through security in 10 minutes.

Can someone explain what agents expect to find?

Do they expect to open your shit and see bomb_plans.pdf on your desktop?

Mostly corporate trade secrets that the US government then siphons to US companies and the military.

Just have an encrypted drive. They should only be turning it on to make sure it works anyways. They just want to make it harder to hide a bomb inside.

How would they know what they've found is illegal? Even if they find some documents they have no way to prove they were stolen, and could be just fake example documents too. Seems like even if a computer had "illegal information" on it, an agent wouldn't be able to find or prove there's a crime being committed

Someone else could just give them the tools. There are incidents of cops having hardware software all in ones that plug in to your phone and just download everything.

There are plenty of examples of higher agencies passing shit down. And some evil maid attack work by just plugging shit into the usb for a bit. Hell they might be able to just pic up on something like your browser history or mac address or some other kind of finger print. Then since the US is collecting every bit of data they can theyll just check the archives and identify which shit was you.

This. One time they had me turn on a laptop. They didnt even wait for the US they just wanted to see it working. So that they have a good chance on knowing you didnt gut it to hide shit inside.

Im a white citizen though so.....

Probably a no to the dumb phone especially if you are from a poorer country. Or just play poor they are in every country.

They have been figuring out the social media accounts somehow but they might not ask directly. They can probably just search a name most of the time.

There was a joke going around about how people will end up buying faked social media accounts like they buy a fake id in the future.

I dont know why they would ask for passwords I would give mine to no one.

>US
OS

If they take your laptop out of your sight, you might as well throw it in the trash. It will most certainly be bugged or infected with some sort of spyware, possibly on a hidden hardware component attached inside the case. Just don't visit USA, let burgers rot in peace.

I have literally never heard of someone having their phone or laptop taken out of sight to be examined.
They'll sometimes ask you to turn on your laptop to show that it's not gutted, but 95% of the time the x-ray scanner is enough.

The people behind cyber strategy aren't retarded, they know that someone carrying very sensitive information isn't going to do it physically through a government checkpoint. They're going to encrypt it and send it across the internet, which is why the bulk of the NSA's efforts are towards capturing internet traffic and decryption.

So they plug in the power adapter and the device is a goer. No need for a battery.
I ran my 2009 MacBook for ages as a console on my Xserve cluster with no battery installed.
The battery died about 2 years ago.

This is a thread with literally the same guy replying to himself.

No, its insecure, retard.
At the very least use SFTP with a properly configured SSH server.

US citizens aren't going to undergo that same treatment.
As a US citizen, they cannot deny you entry, also your constitutional rights towards search and seizure apply.

Non-US citizens will get more scrutiny at the border. They will sometimes look through your phone... you'd be surprised how many people are nailed this way. People will have highly incriminating texts and pics right there. No attempt to delete or hide them.

Source: friends with CBP agent.

it's true that they can't deny you entry, but they absolutely can detain you and fuck up whatever plans you had for the day or week. and if they charge you for something — even for some bullshit — you still need to get legal representation and deal with whatever judicial bullshit they throw in your face.

you guys talk like being a fucking faggot has no consequences just because it's not strictly legal for LEOs to fuck with you. the long arc of history may bend toward justice, but on a day to day basis it's still hugely disruptive to your life to be an antagonistic nigger.

>tripfag
>retard
checks out

>refuse to hand over passwords
>CBP agents hold you in secondary for 9 hours because fuck you

It's not as if standing by your rights stops them from fucking with you.

Oh I understand that,.
The reality of the situation is that unless you're constantly crossing the border with Mexico, as a US citizen you're most likely not going to be detained and asked to show them your electronics. If the do ask to see, most of the time it's you accessing the device for them, to show that you have a working device and not a shell. They do have the right to search your devices, however.

I just texted my friend, and I was wrong about the search and seizure/4th amendment. Apparently the courts have decided that customs is a "unique" situation, and have default reason for search and/or seizure.
In that case, if they ask to see your device, make every effort to keep it in your sight, so that no hardware can be implanted on it. If they plug it into anything, consider it compromised and re-install the OS from a known good image.

I don't agree with those decisions, especially as applied to electronics. It's not hard to protect yourself, though.

>They will sometimes look through your phone...

What the fuck? People accept that? Why would anyone visit burgerland willingly?

I don't know, it's pretty nice here. Lots of things to see and people to do business with.
You're a foreign national coming into another country, why are you surprised when they want information?

Russia and China literally don't allow any encrypted storage to be brought into the country. Not condoning the US's behavior, but it's not like we're unusual.

>unless you're constantly crossing the border with Mexico
the notion that CBP is seriously concerned with mexico is unbelievably naive. have you traveled internationally in the last 15 years? airport CBP are concerned with saudis and shit, not mexicans flying into the country.

god i'm not even sure how this isn't trolling.

and as for asking to keep it in sight, 1) try telling them what to do with your phone, and 2) they're going to take it behind a closed door for 15 or 20 minutes after you've unlocked it. simply reinstalling everything isn't sufficient if the cloned image they presumably made still gives them access to sensitive data.

you should consider all of the data stored on your phone compromised. any photos, any documents, anything stored locally. the next thing you should do is change literally every password you have, revoke all permissions for secondary devices, reconfigure 2FA, and hope you didn't forget anything.

i'm honestly not understanding where you're coming from. are you seriously asking why people visit the US? like do i need to lay it out, or are you making some joke where you're too stupid to understand this sort of stuff?

>How would they know what they've found is illegal? Even if they find some documents they have no way to prove they were stolen, and could be just fake example documents too. Seems like even if a computer had "illegal information" on it, an agent wouldn't be able to find or prove there's a crime being committed
They don't care about protecting anything. They want corporate data to profit from.

the claim that CBP is acting to commit corporate espionage is obviously either tinfoil hat bullshit or otherwise extremely dubious. as much as i've railed against this policy in this thread, i think it's almost infinitely more likely that CBP is honestly trying to find terrorists, but they're doing it in such an invasive way, and almost certainly doing it so lazily, that it's unnecessarily exposing me to 2nd and 3rd order risks. i don't see myself being *okay* with surrendering my device to border agents, but if they could satisfyingly prove to me that they deleted any and all data that they gathered from my device(s), i would be a lot less riled up about it.

When I referenced Mexico, I mean via car you dense shit. Obviously nobody is going to try to smuggle shit from Mexico via commercial air.

Often times they're just checking to make sure the device comes on, and isn't a shell. I've been asked to produce my device before, and never had it taken into a closed room. If they take it into a closed room, consider the hardware compromised and sell it on craigslist.

>simply reinstalling everything isn't sufficient if the cloned image they presumably made still gives them access to sensitive data
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Compromised means "hacked" or "backdoored". The OS is compromised, the data is copied. A hardware bug is near impossible to detect, but a software backdoor/keylogger can be defeated by re-installing the OS from a clean image.
Also, if they clone your device... they have access to whatever data was on it. If it's encrypted, it's no use to them, but you should consider that before bringing sensitive info through the border.

>Obviously nobody is going to try to smuggle shit from Mexico via commercial air.
it didn't seem like something you knew from the retarded shit you posted. most of the device searches we've been talking about have been at the airport. that's where all of the newsworthy stories in the last month have been coming from. that's clearly the context we're all concerned about. because we're not fucking mexicans driving back and forth across the border like migrant farm workers.

>the retarded shit you posted
Any "retarded shit" you want me to ask my CBP friend?

Also, to anyone reading:

It's unlikely that CBP is planting hardware bugs in devices that they clone, but as far as COMPUSEC goes, if an actor has unattended physical access to a device, that device is considered compromised and should not be used anymore. Of course, this only holds true if you can ensure that you don't already have a compromised hardware platform.

>It's unlikely that CBP is planting hardware bugs in devices that they clone
did anyone even float that conspiracy? what kind of stupid shit are you asking?

if you're going to ask about retarded shit, ask him if CBP knows anything about extraterrestrial aliens.

Did you even read the thread?
This guy said "hidden hardware component":
>extraterrestrial aliens
That's actually just me doing all those anal probings, I just wear a costume.
If you pick lonely farmers and social outcasts, everyone will assume they're just trying to get attention.

>did anyone even float that conspiracy? what kind of stupid shit are you asking?
It's a "conspiracy" until somebody like Snowden reveals it to be true and on a much grander scale than even the worst pessimists theorized, then it becomes something everyone already knew for ages overnight. NSA spying on everyone was a "conspiracy theory" once too.

Can someone explain this pic to me?

stackoverflow.com/questions/717200/comparing-http-and-ftp-for-transferring-files

FTP is literally slower and less supported than HTTP.

I work for a bank, so our laptops are FDIC regulated like everything else. Our policy is not to allow any non-authorized person access our laptops. If some security-theater monkey has a problem with that, I can call HR and get an ops supervisor on the phone to tell them policy until his ears bleed.

They would probably take it anyways, but it would allow your company to sue the TSA for damages and possibly violation of federal law (I don't know much about FDIC regulations).

They're free to take it all they want. But they'd have to get past the domain login and all the security measures and break federal law and a federal insurance regulation just to get access to some powershell scripts and a computer that does jack shit when it isn't VPN'd.

If they can't login they just clone the drive.

Breaking federal law, though, is the fastest way that traditionally immune federal employees get fired.

>(I don't know much about FDIC regulations).
Let's put it this way: the Fair Credit Reporting Act makes it a violation of law to report any arrests that did not result in a conviction for any persons that will make under $75k/year. The FDIC gets to say "fuck you" and report literally everything ever documented about you including sealed files as far back as your birth. Breaking into an FDIC insured laptop would mean prison.

>break federal law and a federal insurance regulation
They have no problem doing that.
science.slashdot.org/story/17/02/13/0248240/us-born-nasa-scientist-detained-at-the-border-until-he-unlocked-his-phone

Yeah no, I'm not risking my job so a sweaty TSA cop can get a power boner. I'd call HR, let them know what's happening, then let them detain me as long as they want. My job pays too fucking well to risk that shit. And I'll happily take detailed notes the entire time so they can sue the shit out of the entire department.

> then let them detain me as long as they want

Sounds like someone wants a free cavity search from a TSA mallcop on a powertrip

You won't understand as you have never cooked anything other than in a microwave.

When you fry something, the oil spits out at you, particularly when turning food in the pan.

I'd love to do this, but from experience I've seen that just using a graphical FTP client is clearly proof of illegal hacking for some people, having a PC boot to Open Firmware would probably get me a couple hours of detainment until their tech comes around.

YO WTF
THE TSA NOT ONLY FONDLE YOU THEY ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT YOUR SICK ARCH RICE?
LAND OF THE FREE KEK