GPU support on macOS

>any AMD GPU after Radeon 280X does not work on macOS
>any Nvidia GPU after GeForce 960 does not work on macOS
>Hackintosh forums full of threads of people trying to patch the driver somehow to make them work with more recent GPUs to no avail

Is Hackintosh kill by Apple's not updating the GPUs in iMac and Mac Pro and thus not providing drivers compatible with newer GPUs?

Other urls found in this thread:

insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-01242017/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would they?

New Mac pro's dont support normal video cards like the old ones did so why spend time creating drivers for hardware they dont use in their systems

If you're running PC hardware and you want an OS that supports that hardware, why not just use Windows?

cont.

Chances are they would just use specific mobile GPU's and workstation grade GPU's anyway nothing like what you'd want to actually use in your build

>If you're running PC hardware and you want an OS that supports that hardware, why not just use Windows?
Uh, because macOS is a much more efficient and UNIX operating system compared to the decades of backwards comparability cruft that is Windows?

It's like how iPhones can still beat Androids in performance even with half the RAM --- macOS actually can beat Windows in GPU performance even with 2 years old hardware.

Citation needed.

>t. mactoddler

>macOS actually can beat Windows in GPU performance even with 2 years old hardware.

Then why do hackintoshers need new GPUs if macOS is capable of outdoing Windows on old hardware?

hey i use every OS daily. your post is bad please delete it

Yeah because the don't add in thousands of drivers for every possible supported piece of hardware. You cant really have it both ways.

>nvidia gpu after 960 does not work on macOS
i've had this hackintosh and 970 since like ... late 2014 and it's generally been great. the road smoothed out about 5 or 6 months after launch.

apple does a lot of stupid shit. pile on them as much as you want. but taking shots at factually untrue shit just makes you look stupid and it discredits the rest of your criticism.

>2015
>current year 2017

>any Nvidia GPU after GeForce 960 does not work on macOS
insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312525-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-sierra-update-01242017/

they have no obligation to support those gpus considering hackintoshes technically are not legal.

>believes in private property

>4095mb graphics
kekd

not him, but lots of software has terms of service. if you disagree with them on some principled level, then fine, but don't vacuously agree to them and then pretend you're being principled. you're just ignoring the terms.

i know i am, but i acknowledge that the software industry has this perverse view on software that allows them to give me permission to use it and that it's wrong but sometimes things in this world are just wrong.

i didn't buy it for gaming. i just wanted a video card that could drive a few 4k monitors at 60Hz, and at the time there were vanishingly few cards with multiple DP 1.2 ports. the 970 was among the first, and certainly the first relatively cheap, relatively efficient card.

if you want to stroke yourself over the nvidia 3.5GB thing, either find a different thread or go back to Sup Forums

No real point in trying to outpace apple if the current supported hardware can't suffice to what you want to do, just move to windows if for some ungodly reason need that little bit of extra power you get out of newer hardware

Mac OS is only good for shitposting anyways, as I can see from your thread. Why not just use the integrated graphics, macfag?

Funnily enough the integrated graphics on most i3 cpus work horribly or just don't work. need at least an i5 for shitposting on integrated graphics

>Mac OS is only good for shitposting anyways, as I can see from your thread.
lol okay

>>nvidia gpu after 960 does not work on macOS
>i've had this hackintosh and 970 since like ... late 2014

This part of op confused me as I am about to setup a hackintosh soon. I do believe however the 960 came out after 970 so his statement albeit not immediately clear is true

Its more the fact that the latest gen nvidia 10XX series are not very well supported or at all. OP implies that because of this building hackintoshs is dead

My hackintosh was a total waste of time, and that was when it worked perfect with the then new HD5870
My life significantly improved when I installed Windows 7

Yeah the 960 came out later. If you want to use a newer card than Maxwell then you should either wait or give up.

>My life significantly improved when I installed Windows 7
if your life could improve switching to windows 7 then you probably didn't do any software development (or you did .NET or something), and that's fine, but a lot of people are competent shell users and would rather have that.

but maybe your use case describes Sup Forums more than mine does.

>wanting to use the piece of shit that is Mac OS X unless you have to
wtf is wrong with you people?

Sent from my Apple Macbook Pro with Retina display

lol okay

>software development on OSX
Unless you're making iOS apps just use noobuntu

i kind of just want a setup that has sensible defaults and support for shit without a bunch of extra work. support for high pixel density displays would also be nice.

i'll give debian and ubuntu another look when they get to that ~2014 era level of competence

>My life significantly improved when I installed Windows 7
Satya paid up for your shilling?
Lucky.

>muh shilling
You teenagers need jobs, or at least a new hobby

Literally no reason to use the windows ecosystem unless you're a gaymer or a .NET developer, sorry.

>paying someone to shill for Windows 7
Join the Windows 10 botn... I mean Experience goy.

Literally no reason to use the Mac ecosystem unless your breath smells like cum

I undestand that Sierra supports polaris cards just fine.
Perhaps I"ll end hackintoshing my thinkpad this month. I"ll report any issues later.

Epic butthurt bro.

>t. GNU/Cucknux shill

1. macOS is comfy as fuck
2. Final Cut, Logic, iMovie and so on

I don't know why mac users put up with it. The platform is essentially dead if you need 3d anything. The worst thing is the idiot 3d modelers using macs, they get upset if they don't have feature parity and hold everyone else back.

The 960 was released after the 970, mang.

Supposing that the GPU performance actually is better, there's likely a reason why they moved to macOS, not just to boast about their performance. They likely need all they can to render stuff, why would they keep the old GPUs just because "it works better than Windows"?

Is AMD CPU support on macOS any better nowadays or should I just keep waiting? I've never been able to run any macOS on an AMD PC, and I've been trying since Snow Leopard was new.

yep, that's come up. this thread isn't that long. read up

>macOS actually can beat Windows in GPU performance even with 2 years old hardware.
LMAO

It's kill because nvidia doesn't provide updated gpu drivers for mac OS on their website
pretty funny because the latest macbook pro doesn't throttle at all.
It's just the 2015 that was an abomination
wahhh everyone has to do what I tell them to do
nobody takes you seriously

All macs are abominations.

280x on hackintosh here, can confirm it's pretty cool

Why on earth would you need a discrete GPU on a mac?

kek

>All macs are abominations.
when did the drama queens come to Sup Forums?

I'm one of the earlier posters who can't be bothered to find the screenshot; I have a pair of 4k monitors. For a long time it wasn't feasible to drive 4k monitors at 60Hz for any purpose (i.e. regular desktop usage), so a discrete graphics card became the first way to make that viable.

even as we progress into 5k monitor-land, we're finding we need 2 cables to push all those pixels across. and if you want to drive a pair of 5k monitors, just holy fuck.

i've had my hackintosh with teleport for ~3 years now and it's stood up to the upgrades of added 4k monitors over the past ~2.5 years really beautifully. my 2012 rMBP hasn't had to drive a single pixel more than for its own display, but i can still control the pair of 4k monitors smoothly from my laptop. and it's basically only doable with a desktop form factor mac with a discrete GPU.

for a while like a year ago there were rumors that apple would refresh their displays with integrated GPUs that would drive their own monitors and do nothing else, but obviously that didn't happen.

Apple can just kill their entire line of desktop computers and laptops. They can even kill macOS and still make money.

I'm not saying be thankful that there's such support, but hell, macOS isn't supposed to work on PCs, it's not intended this way and yet it works really, really well on slightly dated intel builds. Regarding GPUs, it might be a problem if you enjoy games, but you would have to dual boot for that anyways because every title that requires an actual GPU on macOS runs like complete ass.

Hm okay, that makes sense.

Then again, doesn't the 5k iMac have enough GPU power to power an additional 5k display?

I realize that the shit iGPU inside the rMBP doesn't hold up to feeding two 4k Monitors, but maybe the discrete GPU in the rMBP does? I mean, no one in their right mind would use a mac for gaming and intensive 3d applications, ever, but driving 2x4k should be doable with a middle-class GPU, right?

WRONG!

Any GPU after Titan Maxwell work's on OS X. Any GPU after R9 Fury work's on OS X.

What's the best possible GPU for a hackintosh (even if it doesn't work out of the box and needs some fiddling)

Cause I have a 280x here and sure it works just fine, there's no need to do literally anything after setting it up, but sometimes I notice it's not just that quick.

Creative applications? 3D modelling? Using it as a games machine when you're not booting into OS X?

Don't be dramatic. RX 480 works using Polaris drivers from 460 Pro Macbook.

From /r/hackintosh: Yes you can get them working with a simple Kext mod. I have an XFX GTR RX480 and it runs smoothly. There is also a kext patch that gives you 20-35% more acceleration. Look on tonymac for article on "enabling AMD r xxx in sierra" and also for the acceleration read "enabling all r9 cores in sierra"(something similar)