/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

x220.mcdonnelltech.com/
forum.notebookreview.com/threads/t-w530-fhd-color-profile.695861/
gizmochina.com/2017/02/12/zuk-edge-2-luo-tianyi-edition-leaked/
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1734279&extra=page=1
thepiratebay.org/torrent/6823078/Mac.OSX.Lion.10.7.2-ADDiCT
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Look what just arrived in the mail Bois

My X230's temperatures have been hovering around 50 to 55 degrees browsing the web, listening to music and other light stuff.
Is it time to change the paste?

thats pretty decent tbqhmf

if it gets to like 70+ while under max load though, definitely time for new paste/cleaning

that's normal, paste won't change it

>Keep thinking about selling my X300 because a 9-year-old low voltage processor is basically useless
>Backtrack every time I open it because dat build quality

The overall feel of this computer, whether it is the hinges or the keyboard or whatever, completely puts everything else made before or since to shame. It's worth keeping because it is proof that, when they put their minds to it, Lenovo can build something amazing.

Hello /tpg/
i want a hackingtosh
should i get a x220 tablet edition (i7)?
i got offered a 410 for half the price (i5)
im worried that the conector in the x220 is going to break easily , (i have bad experience with spinning displays)
also the t410 is hard as fuck to make a hackingtosh
thanks in advance

i'm in a dilemma and i dunno what to do, i cant pick between x260\70 and t460\70, people said that if you come from big screen the x2x0 would be awful, but i want longer battery life
i really want both but t460 right now is so fucking cheap(max spec for 800$)

mine's coming tomorrow. can't wait to dualboot linux

I bougt this T430 about a week ago. Battery life is pretty much non-existent, so I wanted to buy a new one. Does anyone have any experience with the Superb Choice brand? Are unofficial batteries any good, or should I just buy an official lelnovo one.
Also, is the keyboard mod really worth it? I wanted to try it out, but I am too lazy to do it.

don't get the tablet. the swivel joint isn't durable for sustained use. just get the normal x220. Follow the below link for the hackintosh guide.
x220.mcdonnelltech.com/

why the fuck do you have it on the grass?

t430 are okay, but i prefer the t420 for everything else except yea the t430 is still faster.

i got offered a x230 for cheaper should i go for that?
specs are basically the same

I just for one a week ago too. How much did you pay?
I like the layout of the older keyboard better, the key feel is fine on both.

Can't say about the battery, I'm in the same boat.

the x230 *i5
but i just see 10% increase in performance

about $222

Will this work in my W520?

I just fitted the auo b156w01 v.4 wide gamut display to my t530 but the colors seem funny. What would be the best way to calibrate it?

Just replaced my paste and have tpfancontrol installed, hovering around 48. Seems like paste may give you a few degrees, but may not be worth the trouble.

>picked up a T60p, dock, carrying bag, ibm ultranav keyboard with numpad, bunch of other little tech shit like usb 2.0 hub from some guy in North Virginia for 20 bucks

Friend helped me put Lubuntu on, holy shit, turns out this thing has the UXGA 1200x1600 screen.

What was your best purchase Sup Forums?

X230T for $200 with travel charger (can be charged in car or in wall outlet, charger has a slitter to also charge USB devices). Still has active cellular data subscription that some unknown entity is paying for. Laptop looks brand new.

Sure. Ideally check that it'll be faster than your current ram (if you're still going to be using it) to make sure it won't end up being a mild performance loss, but chances are newer stuff will be much the same.

forum.notebookreview.com/threads/t-w530-fhd-color-profile.695861/

>set up T60p with unofficial AMD GPU driver
>everything works fine, or so i thought
>for some stupid reason the GPU downclocks itself to half the speed when I play back a video in MPC-HC and won't speed up except if i force it in rivatuner
>the only solution is to not use EVR-CP in MPC-HC

Is it easy to replace the 420 keyboard with a backlit? Where do they sell the replacements?

T420 has no backlit keyboards, only chiclit keyboards are backlit.

What if I only have one Thinkpad purchase?

Just use the Thinklight

Is disabling webcam in BIOS enough or do I have to go full tape?

It's enough. You can also disable the microphone in some models

>T410 with i5-520m, 6gb ram, HD+ screen and a broken backlight fuse for $25
>Dock for $1

You'll know from the light if it's running anyway. The microphone is always going to be more of a risk anyway.

Thinking about picking up a 230
Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3520M (4M L3 Cache, 2.90GHz)
Intel Core i7-3520M Processor
Total Memory: 4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3

Guy's asking $80 for it

How hard is it to replace the ram in these?

Thats an excellent price

RAM is three screws.

>The microphone is always going to be more of a risk anyway.
but what if I sit in the silence all the time, in a quiet room?

Dug an old r32 out of storage. Runs xp like absolute ads. OS suggestions? Been a while since I used xubuntu, but I like xfce. Then again, will newer distros even run on this? Will I have to hunt down obscure drivers?

1080p on 15.6inch is comfy af

no modern linux distro will run better than XP
and nothing will run nicely on an r32, that thing is far too old.to do anything useful

bin it

user, how bad of an idea to buy a new T460s?
I do want/need a new model and that's the only one of the actual Thinkpad series available here that won't require me to sell a leg and an arm.

If that's the case then you might as well have it disabled anyway. It's more thatrecording a conversation can easily more harmful than getting a picture of your face, which will identify who's using the computer and where at worst, unless you jerk off right in front of your webcam.

Something LXDE or just a straight WM will work best, or even just something like puppy linux. As others have said anything will run like shit, but it's not like practicality matters.

If you're worried about cost then buying second-hand is surely a better bet, even if you have to buy from overseas.
The T460s isn't that bad as a laptop, just keep in mind your options for expanding the battery are limited compared to a T460, though if you don't need battery life it's pretty solid.

HOW MUCH LONGER DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE RETRO THINKPAD REFRESH!?

All I want is to replace this shitty 2nd gen X1.

IBM slogan "Think" ---> Apple slogan "Think Different"
IBM TrackPoint™ ---> Apple starts calling it's capacitive touch pads """Trackpad"""

it's grassfeed

>those hinges
>those keyboard bezels
>1.8" drive
>tiny ass cooling system for 35W cpu+pch
>useless disc drive

dumb windowsposter

Problem is, this requires you to own a Mac in the first place

The backlit keyboards are terrible. They have a glossy surface and get sticky when you use them. The Layout is also shit. Stick with the Thinklight

A virtual machine would suffice.

Best thinkpad for a grill that likes pink macbooks?

X200s painted pink

It depends on how badly you're beating it up. Sure, it's definitely built smaller than that seen in the likes of the X60/61t but it'll take being picked up by the screen just fine

>X1 carbon review?
>shit or good?

gizmochina.com/2017/02/12/zuk-edge-2-luo-tianyi-edition-leaked/
>Lenovo doing vocaloid cross-promotions with their chinky phones
Themed thinkpad that comes with a figure of your waifu when?

How can I paint it pink?

someone successfully upgraded the regular T440 720p screen to an FHD IPS one?

Should I get X220 or X220t?

see

Where do I get one?

Confess your sins /tpg/...
How many thinkpads you have?

They should have done chink waifu edition instead of aborting all those poor girls.

is that a boy or a girl?

Follow any guide for installing OS X on VirtualBox.

>when you live in such a horrible surveillance state that you can no longer distinguish friendly discourse from 3-letter prying

why even live anymore

Amd are these safe to use?
TPB have several pre made VDI for OSX

>tfw just about to buy an X220 on ebay but i refreshed the page and it was sold

What's the best thinkpad to get second hand under

My mother always said Thinkpads are ugly and told me to get a Mac.

Today she was at a meeting with the CEO of her (pretty big name) company and he had a Thinkpad with him.

She literally called me immediately after the meeting to tell me I was probably right about Thinkpads since he was using one.

Are ExpressCards/34 dead technology?
I can no longer find anything useful.

Fujitsu T732, i5-3320M, 4GB of RAM, 320 GB HDD.
The seller want 240$, should I go for it?

So I found a local shop that sells used/refurbished laptops, pic related.
Anything worth getting?
I already have T420 as a stationary machine, but I want something that I toss around/test new things/hook it up to monitors for presentation/lend it to mom.

It's just that It used to idle at 45 degrees, usually.

If these prices are in USD then I don't think they're too great. I guess the main ones to look at are the X230, T732 because it might be a nice tablet laptop though I have no idea what those things are actually like, and the HP *60 and *70 models.

Yes, it's in USD.
The devices look fine visually, at least for the models listed in the pic.
I was thinking of using Hiren's boot CD to test the hardware.
I was thinking of HP 8560w, to use it as stationary and use the T420 instead.
But for that price I can get new laptop, with decent specs.

What about the X201? it's i7 with 128GB SSD.

I wouldn't really bother with the store then, you can probably find better prices on eBay, unless buying locally is worth the difference to you.

>I was thinking of HP 8560w, to use it as stationary and use the T420 instead.
It'd probably do a good job of that. The thinkpad equivalent is the W520/W530 so have a look at those too.

>But for that price I can get new laptop, with decent specs.
If you're just keeping it in the same place then than an old workstation will probably still come out on top. A decent CPU from that time with good cooling goes a long way, though the same probably doesn't go for graphics.

>What about the X201? it's i7 with 128GB SSD.
I'm not a big fan of that generation just because the CPUs shit out heat and it leaves my T410 a bit impotent. The X230 is going to be an all round better machine save for the SSD, and maybe the keyboard if you prefer classic ones.

how long until order forms are available for the 51nb X210's?

What are specs and pictures?

no pics, specs are available on the forum
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1734279&extra=page=1

Just pulled the trigger on a T430 (I5 third gen, 500 gb hdd, 4 ram), for 230 dollars with used 6 cell battery (85 percent). Literally minutes afterwards a x220 with new battery got published for 210 dollars, which is pretty much a substantial difference in latin america (yeah, I know that for americans these prices are insane but it is how it is).

How badly did I get fucked? Was there much of a difference performance-wise?

Why only chinks and koreans do this kind of shit?
Why aren't westerners interested in designing these boards? And they say the white man is creative.

because westerners don't have easy access to computer manufacturing plants

In our modern globalised world?

It's fine, but you should get a SSD

yes, our modern globalized world has 90% of all electronics manufacturing happen in Asia

But aren't they designed in California™?

Don't want to get an ssd since it's very likely that I won't turn it on for 2 months after the end of each semester. It's quite a shame cause I'm already spoiled by the fast speeds that an ssd offers.

stop posting, you're entertaining no one

rood

The x230 is much better in other ways than just the CPU performance (i.e. HD4000 graphics which have DX11 support, 22nm, 2 usb3.0 (up from 0 or 1 on the x220) and it'll be in better nick overall.) Downside is you'll want to replace the keyboard with that of the x220.

only modern use is more USB 3.0 (but you have to find an adapter of actual quality for it to be anything like native) and eGPU setups. Also WWAN if you've already put an mSATA in and used the slot.

It's very hard to find where I live.
I was thinking of getting a wireless ExpressCard to boost the range.
>eGPU
Seems like interesting concept.
Is it possible to do on T420? what adapter do I need?

Also there seems to be ExpressCard SSDs, are these bootable?

only x230 has semi sane price

I hate the touchpad on my T60 and use the trackpoint for everything.

Would a touchpad-less palmrest from an R61 fit right in? Assuming they're both 15.4 inch models

dumb linuxposter

Just torrent the original OSX DVD and install VMware workstation + the mod which allows you to select OSX as the guest

SSDs don't lose data over time, if that's what you're worried about

There are some SSDs that will die entirely if they go a very long time without being powered on but I think that was an early generation fault anyway

I believe the original study said that an SSD from 2011 which already had multiple terabytes of write wear on it and then was disconnected from all power and left in an 87 degree room finally lost its stored data after one year

>the original OSX DVD
Where do I get this?
All I found was this thepiratebay.org/torrent/6823078/Mac.OSX.Lion.10.7.2-ADDiCT
And it claim to be install like any other OS.

Are there any pen-input 2in1s that let you replace the cpu? It looks like it's only possible on Fujitsu's.

Is it true there was very little performance increase between 3rd and 4th gen full voltage mobile cpus?