Slack is available for Linux. You officially have no reason to not dump Skype

Slack is available for Linux. You officially have no reason to not dump Skype.

slack.com/downloads/linux

>inb4 Discord

Yeah I'm sure my boss will be thrilled to talk to my gaymer profile xXWARLORD_420Xx.

Other urls found in this thread:

slack.com/pricing/enterprise-grid
qz.com/825617/slack-vs-microsoft-teams-slack-took-out-a-full-page-ad-in-the-new-york-times-to-welcome-its-new-competitor/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Slack is actually pertty good. However I use Wire to call my family

Started using slack at work, it's really cool. I like it.

What's wrong with the web client?

Last I checked, the Windows desktop client used about 1.5GB of memory, which is unacceptable for a messaging program.

Where's the native client?

>blah blah blah this other platform behaves differently and I'm a poorfag with no RAM

Shut the fuck up.

This is the native client you dumbass retarded motherfucker.

It's just shoddy dev work.
Why bother with a """native""" client when the web version gives better performance?

I just log into slack on my browser and turn on desktop notifications.

No point in wasting ram when IDEs and development servers already eat ram like crazy

>family
you would use slack for your family? did your parents set that up or was that your own brand of autism?

to say nothing of the fact that slack works much better for much larger groups, like 90% of what slack does simply doesn't work for a group smaller than 6 or 7. what do you do with channels, for instance? like what's the point?

Nice try, Pajeet, but we already use HipChat.

are you serious?

>gives better performance?

It doesn't you dumb cunt. The whole point is superior performance.

Just fucking install it you retard.

>no Debian

>no ghetto Ubuntu

>being this gay

>he cant just ./configure make sudo make install because he's a cuck faggot

Slack and skype aren't even remotely comparable. It's slack vs teams or skype vs hangouts.

If you read again, you'll find out that I don't use Slack

Hey queer, Skype has no native Linux client. Comparisons don't matter here.

I'll pass, thanks. I'd rather avoid a fucking chat program causing more swapping.

Is there something wrong with running it in a browser?

Can you name a single feature that the """native""" client has that the web version doesn't?

I think you're a degenerate, darling.

t. literal inbred

Hosting your own Slack from your own box, fag.

(You)

Maybe I prefer bloody diarrhea exuding through my eye sockets.

Could you elaborate on that?

Host what, a video call? I can do that from the web version.

Ok so you're just retarded. Nevermind. You don't even know what "host" means.

then why would you bring up that you use wire to call your family? was that just a completely unrelated story you thought we would find amusing?

>ctrl + f "IRC"
>0 results
are you guys stupid?

Your boss isn't talking to you on anything but Skype anyway. Use Slack or whatever to talk to your friends, sure, but unless you happen to work for Autists Inc. then don't pretend you do anything relevant on it.

Hi, grandpa. You should be in bed by now. Haven't you taken your sleeping pills yet?

Are you talking about hosting bots?

My team uses slack as an IRC replacement, because management can't use IRC. We have a calendar bot, but nothing else.

>being this mad
Sllack = trash
Repeat after me

Slack
is
trash

lmao

When did Skype get hacked and have private chats distributed to the public, along with passwords and email addresses? Oh, right, it was Slack that got hacked.

Slack is garbage.

>tfw you will never work at a company that uses irc for intra communication

why work

What does it have over HipChat?

Nothing. HipChat is objectively a better messenger in every sense.

The native one sucks dick. Just one more thing to install and hog my RAM when I could just use the web client.

Fuck off

>hog my RAM

Say it with me Sup Forums.

POOR!

FAG!

>le epik electron app
>native

fucking web developers should be deported

Slack vs hipchar? I know one big thing is that hipchat has a self hosted server you can use instead of the public cloud version, but just comparing the cloud version of hipchat vs slack, what's the difference?

I thought that was hipchat, or did it happen to slack too?

>not using Majordomo mailing lists

Remember the global skype outage last week? I remember.

You can host Slack on your own server if you want, faggot. Learn to read.

At least know what you shill before being this retarded.

Hmm if you could locate and link us to the product page for the self hosted Slack option I'll gladly consider myself a faggot who can't read.

Typical conversation on Slack:
>"working on a meme.js app right now XDDD"
>"k"
Discord is the same shit only with more people.

Never understood why people are so amazed by Slack. It's basically a glorified IRC channel that looks nice.

I mean it works well for what it does but people are praising it like the second coming of Christ...

Awesome, more proprietary shit where Linux is a second class citizen! Where do I sign up? Oh right I already have to use this shit at work. Feels bad man.

slack.com/pricing/enterprise-grid

Because they don't know what IRC is. That's the hip thing to do now. Re-invent technology that is 20-40 years old. Look at Docker!

This. Not to mention the developers at slack circlejerk over their own shithole of a product that is a direct rip off of irc. Fuck them

Also,

qz.com/825617/slack-vs-microsoft-teams-slack-took-out-a-full-page-ad-in-the-new-york-times-to-welcome-its-new-competitor/

>skype
i kekd a little

Hipchat client and server work great on Linux, brah. Source, was part of the initial server betas, wrote shit that you see in their scripts and documentation, yay me.

Good point.

Anyway, it's nice to have a "native" Linux version of it since I inevitably get invited to Slack channels for projects etc...

Nothing about that indicates or implies that there's a self-hosted on your network private server instance.

That's not self-hosted, larper-kun.

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM

Look at these fucking shills. This thread is nothing more than paid spam.

A lot of people use slack because the bot integration is easier then IRC. The github, project management apps, etc. are readily available and good to go. While turn your development chat into a project when you are working on a project as is. Writing IRC bots, hosting them, configuring IRC server, etc. is all a pain.

Do I think people should pay for slack? Fuck no. However, I see the idea behind it.

are you retarded? did you get confused and ref the wrong post? i didn't advocate slack at all. it was absolutely bizarre that you would contrast it with wire for the purpose of keeping in touch with your family, which was the point of my post — to figure out what kind of autistic nutcase would even think of it.

i guess i've got my answer though